Hydaelyn Role-Players
Soul Crystals? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Soul Crystals? (/showthread.php?tid=9982)

Pages: 1 2

Soul Crystals? - Loe - 02-05-2015

So, what's the dealio on these? How much can someone put into one? What are they even? Could someone put their entire soul and essence into one to be pulled out later? Like, how do these even work?

RE: Soul Crystals? - Coatleque - 02-06-2015

The way I've heard it explained is that it's not really a soul trapped in them, but the essence of someone's experience that rubs off onto it as they carry it, and then the combined experience of everyone who's carried the crystal helps the next carrier to learn what they already did at an accelerated rate.

It's like swallowing the cliff-notes in pill form before having to go take the test.

RE: Soul Crystals? - Kinono - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 01:25 AM)Coatleque Wrote: The way I've heard it explained is that it's not really a soul trapped in them, but the essence of someone's experience that rubs off onto it as they carry it, and then the combined experience of everyone who's carried the crystal helps the next carrier to learn what they already did at an accelerated rate.

It's like swallowing the cliff-notes in pill form before having to go take the test.

In that sense would it be plausible for someone to carry "blank" crystals to be passed on to their lineage? Or, for the sake of my own curiosity, even sold? How hard would it be to obtain a crystal for this purpose?

RE: Soul Crystals? - Coatleque - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 01:29 AM)Kinono Wrote: In that sense would it be plausible for someone to carry "blank" crystals to be passed on to their lineage? Or, for the sake of my own curiosity, even sold? How hard would it be to obtain a crystal for this purpose?

Personally, I don't see why not. I'd imagine they would need to be specially prepared by someone with the know-how. Based on what I've read, it would take many generations (or hosts) of acquiring knowledge before they actually become useful.

RE: Soul Crystals? - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 01:29 AM)Kinono Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 01:25 AM)Coatleque Wrote: The way I've heard it explained is that it's not really a soul trapped in them, but the essence of someone's experience that rubs off onto it as they carry it, and then the combined experience of everyone who's carried the crystal helps the next carrier to learn what they already did at an accelerated rate.

In that sense would it be plausible for someone to carry "blank" crystals to be passed on to their lineage? Or, for the sake of my own curiosity, even sold? How hard would it be to obtain a crystal for this purpose?

I think that's very plausible, it's not really clear where original soulstones come from, but they have to start somewhere.

Until Square Enix tells us otherwise, I think we can assume that great warriors in the past held blank crystals.

(02-06-2015, 01:31 AM)Coatleque Wrote: Personally, I don't see why not.  I'd imagine they would need to be specially prepared by someone with the know-how.  Based on what I've read, it would take many generations (or hosts) of acquiring knowledge before they actually become useful.

Ah, that's good to know and very interesting! Obviously there are things that would not make sense/be frowned upon (a "white mage" soul gem just being passed down in the family would make a lot of people scoff, I'm sure) but a character simply possessing some non-denominational combat-oriented soulgem passed down from their great-great-grandpappy seems like it wouldn't be too odd. Conversely, a character holding onto to one for the express purpose of it becoming a family heirloom would be neat too.

(02-06-2015, 01:38 AM)Kinono Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 01:31 AM)Coatleque Wrote: Personally, I don't see why not.  I'd imagine they would need to be specially prepared by someone with the know-how.  Based on what I've read, it would take many generations (or hosts) of acquiring knowledge before they actually become useful.

Ah, that's good to know and very interesting! Obviously there are things that would not make sense/be frowned upon (a "white mage" soul gem just being passed down in the family would make a lot of people scoff, I'm sure) but a character simply possessing some non-denominational combat-oriented soulgem passed down from their great-great-grandpappy seems like it wouldn't be too odd. Conversely, a character holding onto to one for the express purpose of it becoming a family heirloom would be neat too.

Yeah nothing suggests it /has/ to be a stone from one of the legendary jobs. Could just be your family's ancient fighting style. Or ancient cooking style, not sure it even has to be combat.

RE: Soul Crystals? - Zyrusticae - 02-06-2015

...This is an excellent idea and I have half a mind to implement it into T'rahnu's backstory.

(02-06-2015, 01:40 AM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: Or ancient cooking style, not sure it even has to be combat.

Prostitute Soulgem, here I come.

(02-06-2015, 01:43 AM)Kinono Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 01:40 AM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: Or ancient cooking style, not sure it even has to be combat.

Prostitute Soulgem, here I come.

This soul gem was held by your grandmother, she doesn't look like it now, but she was once finest fucker to ever grace eorzea.

*drops soulstone, backs away horrified*

RE: Soul Crystals? - Loe - 02-06-2015

Now, for my next question, would it be possible for a stone to have a sentient soul in it?  Like possessing it?

(02-06-2015, 02:08 AM)Loe Wrote: Now, for my next question, would it be possible for a stone to have a sentient soul in it?  Like possessing it?

As far as I can think (I'm no expert on lore, but whatever) this would be possible but not the norm. As far as I can tell, such a thing would most likely be the result of some dark magic (thinking along the lines of Tam-tara hard, but not quite as intense) and would be likely to make the average Eorzean quite uncomfortable to be around.

But yeah. I'm not an expert, so don't take my sole word for it.

RE: Soul Crystals? - Loe - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 02:18 AM)Kinono Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 02:08 AM)Loe Wrote: Now, for my next question, would it be possible for a stone to have a sentient soul in it?  Like possessing it?

As far as I can think (I'm no expert on lore, but whatever) this would be possible but not the norm. As far as I can tell, such a thing would most likely be the result of some dark magic (thinking along the lines of Tam-tara hard, but not quite as intense) and would be likely to make the average Eorzean quite uncomfortable to be around.

But yeah. I'm not an expert, so don't take my sole word for it.
That's the idea I was going for. Anyone else have anything I should know?

RE: Soul Crystals? - FloriaRaine - 02-06-2015

If i remember correctly, in the white mage job quest, you were able to summon the previous owner of your soul crystal to help out in the final battle, though i'm not sure if his soul remained in the crystal or was summoned from the life stream

RE: Soul Crystals? - Knight Kat - 02-06-2015

That's totally awesome, and a little bit hax. Laugh

Anyone read anything in the lore about how they are made, or who can give them other than the Job Mentors from the story quests?