Hydaelyn Role-Players
Persona 5 Trailer of Awesomeness - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Persona 5 Trailer of Awesomeness (/showthread.php?tid=9973)

Pages: 1 2 3

Persona 5 Trailer of Awesomeness - TheLastCandle - 02-05-2015

I'm extremely pumped about this, even if I have several questions about it. Namely regarding what appears to be a stealth game aspect to the "dungeon" exploration. How big of a role does that play in the game? Is it a major part of the experience, or are there just a few stealth lite segments a la Zelda: The Wind Waker? Is it just an added dimension to the traditional system of "approach the enemy from behind for a combat advantage" or something more? Hopefully we'll get a little more information from Atlus sooner than later.

Also, the last few seconds make me wonder if we're going to see the MC embrace his Hollow Shadow self for extra power.

Anyway, discuss. I know I'm not the only SMT/Persona fan up in here.

Edit: So, the latest issue of Famitsu dropped a few tidbits about the upcoming Persona game. Some takeaways courtesy of "Persona Fan Channel" on Tumblr:

PROTAGONIST
- The protagonist is a second year high school student who has recently moved to the big city, and lives with his parents’ friends at a coffee shop named SUMIKON.
- The protagonist’s unique Persona is called “Arsene”, presumably derived from the fictional gentleman thief “Arsène Lupin.”

STORY
- Unlike the heroes of Persona 3 and Persona 4, the protagonist of Persona 5 has a problem of some sort that, if not faced down, could spell big trouble in the future. The sequence in which he looks like a prisoner takes place in what could be called a Mental Prison.
- The protagonist meets other two characters and cat creature in the trailer at the beginning of the game. The other two have their own life problems as well, and cat creature is mysterious, can transform, and is key to storyline.
- There are reasons behind why Personas appear as the enemies the cast are facing, however Hashino is remaining silent on that point, as well as where the protagonist’s fights take place.

THEME
- Instead of the “カッ”(flash) seen in previous Persona summon sequences, it looks like it’ll be “ブチッ”(snap) instead. The latter is the sound used to refer to something snapping. Like someone’s patience is running thin and hitting the breaking point.

ANIMATION STUDIO
- The animation studio that is handling Persona 5‘s anime scenes is Production I.G, and that studio’s anime director is the one who suggested the character figure skating scenes in the trailer.

PRODUCTION
- Because it is the first time Personas are being made for high-definition platforms, the development process was particularly arduous on that front.

COMBAT AND EXPLORATION
- The game starts in Shibuya, but takes place in various parts of Tokyo as well.
- The battle system will be turn-based, with improvements to previous Persona games.
- There will be randomly generated elements in the game, however major places in the story will be structured to emphasize the burglary theme.
- Each character has their own distinct firearm for long distance weapons, however they aren’t actual guns, yet are still effective in combat.

SOCIAL LINKS
- A “Cooperation” aspect of the game will involve helping sympathizers around the town, which will somehow be beneficial in battles.
- Social Links or a mechanic like them will have new twists, while also pertaining to their traditional elements of increasing various strengths/abilities.

CHARACTER DESIGNS (Shigenori Soejima)
- The protagonist’s seemingly docile nature is a profound ruse.
- Persona 5‘s logo is meant to emphasize the youthful nature of the plot and characters; “conveying a sense of speed and dynamism.”
- The protagonist’s Persona, “Arsene” is designed to be a little more old-school, including his name, though making the whole thing come together and look stylish with that sort of constraint wasn’t without its share of challenges. Its cape/wings are meant to portray the image of a thief who lurks around places where normal people don’t belong.

MUSIC
- The song heard in the Persona 5 trailer is the instrumental version of the main theme, according to series composer Shoji Meguro. He also stated that he wanted to give the music an acid jazz-like feel elements to bring out the game’s mood, including in the main theme. Direcotr Hashino was glad hearing the music since the jazz music goes hand-in-hand with the story of Lupin in its phantom thief motif.

RE: Persona 5 Trailer of Awesomeness - Kage - 02-05-2015

CAT

That mask tho!

I am really digging it, though I haven't finish P3 or P4Golden... because.. of... ARR...

Cant wait to see it though... I do have an insy beety little question.

I know P3 and P4 are sorta connected in a way through P4 Arena etc. (With mentions of _____ from P3 into P4). Any chance we'll get some more stuff in connection?

IGOR. Question? Cause Im at work and can't hear. The VA for Igor died before P4Animation but they used his assets. Different VA now? Unknown?

RE: Persona 5 Trailer of Awesomeness - Warren Castille - 02-05-2015

Persona trailer!

I'm eagerly awaiting the inevitable remake for a Sony handheld in five to eight years!

RE: Persona 5 Trailer of Awesomeness - TheLastCandle - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 12:45 PM)Kage Wrote: CAT

That mask tho!

I am really digging it, though I haven't finish P3 or P4Golden... because.. of... ARR...

Cant wait to see it though... I do have an insy beety little question.

I know P3 and P4 are sorta connected in a way through P4 Arena etc. (With mentions of _____ from P3 into P4). Any chance we'll get some more stuff in connection?

IGOR. Question? Cause Im at work and can't hear. The VA for Igor died before P4Animation but they used his assets. Different VA now? Unknown?

There are mentions of the events of Persona 1 and 2 in P3 as well. They're all connected in some way. In Persona 4, you even visit
Show Content
They haven't announced a replacement, but Igor himself was absent from the Velvet Room in Persona Q. Still, I think it's likely that the VA will be replaced, since he does appear in the P5 trailer. Using the old assets worked for P4Anime because they only had Igor speak the same lines he spoke in P4 the game.

(02-05-2015, 12:51 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Persona trailer!

I'm eagerly awaiting the inevitable remake for a Sony handheld in five to eight years!

Whoa whoa whoa, no Persona 5 Ruby until I get my Persona 3 Velvet!

RE: Persona 5 Trailer of Awesomeness - Mae - 02-05-2015

In the FeMC storyline in P3P
Show Content

But OMGSOOOEXCITED..!

Cat-burglar-y theme? That's what I got from the trailer. And is it just me or do the characters seem older -- like highschool seniors or maybe first-year college students?

I noticed the MC has two pins on his jacket, so.. second year, maybe? They do seem more mature, but that might just be our perceptions. The catburglar/vigilante superhero(?) theme kind of presents a slightly darker tone than P4, which I think factors into it.

I keep wishing for a Persona game, or spinoff, that retains the Social Links aspect with an adult cast and a story that tackles adult problems and themes. Not that I don't like the high school setting -- I do, but Catherine (to me) showed that Atlus could do it if they wanted to.

RE: Persona 5 Trailer of Awesomeness - Jig - 02-05-2015

*hypes like crazy*

OHMANOHMANOHMAN!

[Image: excited-screaming-cat_200s.gif]

(02-05-2015, 03:08 PM)Jigumundo Darkbore Wrote: *hypes like crazy*

OHMANOHMANOHMAN!

[Image: excited-screaming-cat_200s.gif]

[Image: ActualFeistyBettong.gif]

RE: Persona 5 Trailer of Awesomeness - Gegenji - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 03:04 PM)TheLastCandle Wrote: I noticed the MC has two pins on his jacket, so.. second year, maybe? They do seem more mature, but that might just be our perceptions.  The catburglar/vigilante superhero(?) theme kind of presents a slightly darker tone than P4, which I think factors into it.

I think it's playing more on the theme of a persona being a "mask" you show to the world around you. It's just being taken to a more literal degree here in the design choice by having the protagonists solving whatever world-ending case will be occurring by wearing masks.

And I wonder if the stealth thing is going to be more about Shadows being more... aggressive? Dangerous? So that sneaking up on them will be more important than ever.

I've actually been a fan of the Persona series for while, mostly due to my love of mythology... but I've never actually gotten around to PLAYING on. I usually end up watching someone else do it so I can enjoy the story. Blush

(02-05-2015, 03:12 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(02-05-2015, 03:04 PM)TheLastCandle Wrote: I noticed the MC has two pins on his jacket, so.. second year, maybe? They do seem more mature, but that might just be our perceptions.  The catburglar/vigilante superhero(?) theme kind of presents a slightly darker tone than P4, which I think factors into it.

I think it's playing more on the theme of a persona being a "mask" you show to the world around you. It's just being taken to a more literal degree here in the design choice by having the protagonists solving whatever world-ending case will be occurring by wearing masks.

And I wonder if the stealth thing is going to be more about Shadows being more... aggressive? Dangerous? So that sneaking up on them will be more important than ever.

I've actually been a fan of the Persona series for while, mostly due to my love of mythology... but I've never actually gotten around to PLAYING on. I usually end up watching someone else do it so I can enjoy the story. Blush

Agreed. P4 touched on this a little; accepting one's inner darkness / "shadow" self, "reaching out to the truth," people obfuscating the truth around them and so on. Once again hailing back to the Jungian roots of the premise.

RE: Persona 5 Trailer of Awesomeness - Edgar - 02-05-2015

Anybody else notice the graphics are on par with the art style of Catherine?

RE: Persona 5 Trailer of Awesomeness - Desu Nee - 02-05-2015

I'm really glad Persona is moving towards a more mystique, Catharine style game like SMT. I mean, I loved Persona 4 and everything, but I really missed the Mystic and Mysterious mood from Persona 3 and 2. And it always disheartened me how blatantly uncreative P4 spin offs were.

Not that I hate P4, I love it, I just missed the mood that made me fall in love in Persona for starters.

Yeah, it seems obvious to me that the design team got a lot of practice from their work on Catherine. But apparently, unlike Catherine, they're not using Gamebryo for P5 but a proprietary engine.

Another thing I saw in the trailer is that we're apparently fighting actual demons and not shadows now. That and at least two characters using guns kind of hearkens back to SMT. (Speaking of which, I still need to finish SMT4, argh.)

RE: Persona 5 Trailer of Awesomeness - allgivenover - 02-05-2015

I am max hype for this. Let's just say a P5 MC cosplay may be in the future for me.

RE: Persona 5 Trailer of Awesomeness - Recoil - 02-05-2015

I flipping hated persona 4. I despised it from the start.

But this? I adore it. Everything about it. It's got a lot of SMT vibes (the main series).

Definitely looking forward to it.