Hydaelyn Role-Players
Sharp-shooting contest - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Sharp-shooting contest (/showthread.php?tid=9970)

Sharp-shooting contest - Warren Castille - 02-05-2015

So, recent discussion in the Gun Lethality thread located here was briefly turned off-topic about the Grindstone and whether or not guns are a relevant weapon for it. While I'm not here to talk about that particular point, it was brought up that a similar contest could be used for crack marksmen to prove their skills with a weapon. I myself do not have the time or means to lead such an event, but that doesn't mean I didn't immediately start considering how such a thing could be done.

I've worked with a few other folks about event mechanics and how to make things go, so I've got some ideas. I figure if anyone's interested in picking it up (none of my characters are inclined towards firearms currently) this might be a good place to get started? Who knows, looking forward to 0 Replies, 131 Views.

Anyway, there are a couple rolls-based challenges in the game right now. The Grindstone is just one, and Clio has a drinking contest going. Does Eorzea really need another dice-based contest of skill? Maybe! Maybe not! Here's my idea.

Sharpshooting and hip-firing are skills that a marksman prizes. My idea is for a shooting gallery style of event, relying on actual reflexes and focus. Imagine any locale with closed doors or a cut-off view: The entrance to any of the myriad bars or buildings in the landscape, or any line-of-sight obstructing boulders or trees.

I was thinking a series of volunteers could play as the "targets." These targets would all be hidden from a specific point of view in the contest, and shooters would line up or pair off or whatever. Then, the judge would say something like "Shoot the target wearing a RED SHIRT!" and then the targets would run out from hiding. One or two would wear something bright red, and everyone else would wear something not blue or otherwise contrasting. People could then /emote "shooting" the target. Switch up gear and colors and specifications as they go: "Shoot everyone but the lalafells!" "Shoot only crafting classes!" "Shoot just the men!"

Award points for order of posting, swiftness of the shot, etc.

Obvious issues: Would require a number of volunteers with numerous levels and dyes and clothing options to sort of not participate.

Could potentially get VERY difficult to control if you get thirty people show up.

Would need various locales to set up.

Potential macro abuse.

RE: Sharp-shooting contest - Inessa Hara - 02-05-2015

I think having a separate event where people who want to test out firearms or just their general skill would be a great idea.

Have like a targeting range and you would roll to attempt to strike the practice target in the center, then whoever rolls the highest wins. ((or roll multiple times and the person who strikes closest to the center the most wins))

TBH, I am rather opposed to firearms at the grindstone, mostly cause I dont want to get shot.   xD

RE: Sharp-shooting contest - Sounsyy - 02-05-2015

Pew pew! 1 reply, 180 views.

I would be interested in a marksman contest for Sounsyy... but really only after Machinist comes out. 1) I'd prefer to find out the mechanics behind Eorzean firearms and 2) I haven't really ever RP'd her as being a gun user, even though her backstory necessitates she would actually have firearms training and knowledge... so I guess I'll get around to that more when Machinist comes out? =x

RE: Sharp-shooting contest - Kamome - 02-05-2015

I think firearms would probably be slightly unusual/taboo in Eorzea because Gunblades are a Garlean weapon:

http://gematsu.com/gallery/albums/final-fantasy-xiv/september-15-2010/Final-Fantasy-XIV_2010_09-15-10_39.jpg

http://gematsu.com/gallery/albums/final-fantasy-xiv/september-15-2010/Final-Fantasy-XIV_2010_09-15-10_40.jpg

Gunslingers everywhere when Machinist hits though. This might be a cool way to RP transition into the new class for some characters. Maybe an ex-Garlean teaching Eorzeans how to shoot?

(02-05-2015, 11:56 AM)Kamome Wrote: I think firearms would probably be slightly unusual/taboo in Eorzea because Gunblades are a Garlean weapon.

Gunslingers everywhere when Machinist hits though. This might be a cool way to RP transition into the new class for some characters. Maybe an ex-Garlean teaching Eorzeans how to shoot?
Maelstrom and Admiral Merylwb use gun's. Not gunblades mind you but they do use guns.

RE: Sharp-shooting contest - Kamome - 02-05-2015

Oh, I did not know this. >_<

I wonder if firearm tech will be magitek or just plain old engineering when Machinist hits... It would make sense if it was Garlean tech based on all the naval raiding of Garlean territory the Maelstrom/privateers do.

Edit: tracked down the info on Merlwyb's guns for anyone else who is interested:

"Merlwyb's two muskets, Death Penalty and Annihilator, were rumored to have previously been owned by the pirate king, Mistbeard. They are maintained using a rare lubricant from an aggressive plant called Night Shade, which is also used by Limsa Lominsa's cannons."

(02-05-2015, 12:02 PM)Kamome Wrote: Oh, I did not know this. >_<

I wonder if firearm tech will be magitek or just plain old engineering when Machinist hits... It would make sense if it was Garlean tech based on all the naval raiding of Garlean territory the Maelstrom/privateers do.
I think it will be both. There was alot of talk about this a while back that Cid may be engineer job teacher, considering he is an engineer and all that and since he is Garlean, he might know how to use guns. The result would be that he teaches us about engineer things while we self-develop our own gun skills.

RE: Sharp-shooting contest - Gegenji - 02-05-2015

The funny thing is, I was thinking that the Sharpshooting Contest (which I've taken to calling it the "Quillion" just because it sounds cool and it puts a name to the concept) would follow a more simple, regimented concept like normal marksmanship challenges.

I mentioned it in the Gun thread, but I was thinking simply along the lines of having a line of targets (training dummies on a plot would be great for this or maybe the line of them just outside Ul'dah's western gate) for the participants to shoot at. These bodies would be "marked" not unlike a darts target and people would /random for their shots - with that number serving as their actual score.

There would be different variations to what is done, of course. A close-ranged shot, a mid-ranged shot, a far shot; moving shots, and perhaps even a free-form final bit where a person just makes up a neat-sounding performance through /em as a trick shot. Points would be added up and then the person with the highest score wins.

Such a template would both be simple - no need for volunteers that could possibly be hurt - and allow for all sorts of ranged folks to try their hands at the Quillion. Not just Machinists and ARC/BRDs, but you'd have event mages could enter too! You could have a Conjurer casting a well-aimed Stone I, a Thaum showing off a "trick shot" of hitting several tossed stones with differently-colored Fire spells, or an Arcanist hitting discuses blindfolded with only their ears and a few quickly made calculations based off where the sound came from.

Of course, more "live" stuff could be added as well... but I think a simple variation on the basic archery contest would be the way to go. At least at the start, anyway. Spicing it up could always come later.

RE: Sharp-shooting contest - Aeylis Bloodbinder - 02-05-2015

Aeylis would definitely be interested and willing, but her player would fail miserably at camera angle movement and lose every time ;-;

but I'd back the contest at the very least, it would be nice to meet fellow RPing gun-wielders.

RE: Sharp-shooting contest - Warren Castille - 02-05-2015

...Oh. I forgot to mention that in my head, the volunteers would be playing the role of advanced mannequins or mammets for the purposes of this. Think animated crash test dummies.

LOOK I SAID I WAS THINKING A LOT ABOUT IT, OKAY?

(02-05-2015, 12:10 PM)Gegenji Wrote: The funny thing is, I was thinking that the Sharpshooting Contest (which I've taken to calling it the "Quillion" just because it sounds cool and it puts a name to the concept) would follow a more simple, regimented concept like normal marksmanship challenges.

I mentioned it in the Gun thread, but I was thinking simply along the lines of having a line of targets (training dummies on a plot would be great for this or maybe the line of them just outside Ul'dah's western gate) for the participants to shoot at. These bodies would be "marked" not unlike a darts target and people would /random for their shots - with that number serving as their actual score.

There would be different variations to what is done, of course. A close-ranged shot, a mid-ranged shot, a far shot; moving shots, and perhaps even a free-form final bit where a person just makes up a neat-sounding performance through /em as a trick shot. Points would be added up and then the person with the highest score wins.

Such a template would both be simple - no need for volunteers that could possibly be hurt - and allow for all sorts of ranged folks to try their hands at the Quillion. Not just Machinists and ARC/BRDs, but you'd have event mages could enter too! You could have a Conjurer casting a well-aimed Stone I, a Thaum showing off a "trick shot" of hitting several tossed stones with differently-colored Fire spells, or an Arcanist hitting discuses blindfolded with only their ears and a few quickly made calculations based off where the sound came from.

Of course, more "live" stuff could be added as well... but I think a simple variation on the basic archery contest would be the way to go. At least at the start, anyway. Spicing it up could always come later.
I think this is a cool idea, but I still think there should be a roll system involved to account for the shooters score.

That or have judges who give 1-10 scores based on their overall opinion of the shot.

RE: Sharp-shooting contest - Gegenji - 02-05-2015

(02-05-2015, 12:18 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: ...Oh. I forgot to mention that in my head, the volunteers would be playing the role of advanced mannequins or mammets for the purposes of this. Think animated crash test dummies.

LOOK I SAID I WAS THINKING A LOT ABOUT IT, OKAY?

Either way, whether it's actual people volunteering as targets or advanced mobile targets... I wonder if that's just making it more complicated than it needs to be. Stationary targets would work well enough for the base competition, and then you can be free to break out the wacky/fancy stuff for the Trick Shot part of the competition.

I suppose the only downside to the simple stationary target part of it would be emoting shooting. Unless people are really creative, you'd quickly run out of ways to describe "I aim and shoot the target." I suppose the /random would help with the variance, though - higher roll means better shot means cooler description.

(02-05-2015, 12:22 PM)Inessa Hara Wrote:
(02-05-2015, 12:10 PM)Gegenji Wrote: These bodies would be "marked" not unlike a darts target and people would /random for their shots - with that number serving as their actual score.
I think this is a cool idea, but I still think there should be a roll system involved to account for the shooters score.

That or have judges who give 1-10 scores based on their overall opinion of the shot.

Already got you covered. Thumbsup
... Though, celebrity judges or something for the trick shot competition could be cool too.

RE: Sharp-shooting contest - Chris Ganale - 02-05-2015

[Image: 7fa6b0be9d5614e6e8aa57089f47c718ec462a46...d02d12.jpg]

I'll have you know that Yuuna, who had until now been hibernating in preparation for 3.0, has prematurely awoken and is now a giddy, hyperactive ball of "WANT THIS NOW" in my head.

Though I am diametrically-opposed to roll-based combat systems unless I'm playing D&D, I would skip work and sleep to be at every one of these. Other than that, I really have nothing valid to contribute.

RE: Sharp-shooting contest - Harmonixer - 02-05-2015

It's obviously still in it's infant stages, but given enough support (and time, with a MCH on the way) I think it could work.

Would we be separating the types of firearms? Say, rifles and 'heavier' arms and then pistols and the like? Just a passing thought, and if it was already mentioned and I overlooked it I apologize. Certain types of weapons obviously have a time and a place, or should it be limited to a certain types in particular.

Regardless, I'd like to see it happen. Even if its less often than the other events. Simply because having people to coordinate is difficult enough as it is, depending on the timing I might be interested in assisting as well.

RE: Sharp-shooting contest - Chris Ganale - 02-05-2015

It would definitely be closer to real-world standards to divide into categories.