Hydaelyn Role-Players
Heeeelllllppppp!!!! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Heeeelllllppppp!!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9860)

Pages: 1 2

Heeeelllllppppp!!!! - Parvacake - 01-29-2015

Apologies in advanced for typos, since im on m. Phone and my keypad is really freakin' small.

Long story short,  was doing what I normally do on the comp, and it suddenly turned off. No warning, no smoke coming from anywhere and it didnt feel over heated. Just shut down and an hour later it still wont turn on. Waiting on some phone calls from my stepdad and his buddy who made the tower in tge first place, but also wanted to see if anyone might have any ideas. 

One person said replacing the power chord might help so thats one option. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is my livelihood as well as my connection tut o family and friends while living in a strange town with people I dont know.

RE: Heeeelllllppppp!!!! - Enla - 01-29-2015

Are all the power cords connected fully? That was the issue with my tower when it started to act up, I somehow had jimmied one of the cords to the power supply loose and the entire machine decided to pitch a hissy fit every day until I finally got the hint and realized what had happened. I have to check the cords often now, just to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Other than that I'm fairly computer illiterate so I don't have much other advice beyond the very standard check your T's and dot your I's spiel. I hope someone can help you fix it!

RE: Heeeelllllppppp!!!! - Cocotsu - 01-29-2015

So many things could have gone wrong =(

Power supply could have just decided it was done.

Cables might be lose. (Check all connections)

Dust might be fudging things up (Give that tower a nice vacuum) 

Something might have tripped the switch on the power strip/surge protector (done that plenty of times with my foot)

Would love to help but hard without more info =)

RE: Heeeelllllppppp!!!! - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-29-2015

Step 1) Breath

Step 2) Unplug the everything from the back of the computer and let it sit for 30 seconds. If you wanna be extra safe, let it sit a minute of so. With everything still unplugged, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds too, to make sure any leftover power has been drained from all components. 

Step 3) Plug stuff back in

Step 4) Try to power it on. 

Does the machine POST? (Either make a beep or show a BIOS/EFI screen and possibly hardware checks?)

RE: Heeeelllllppppp!!!! - Parvacake - 01-29-2015

It Doesnt make any noise, beep, or show lights. Everything has been unplugged from it anc I plugged in the power chord to try and turn it on a minute ago. Nothing.

RE: Heeeelllllppppp!!!! - Seye Qhesu - 01-29-2015

Sounds like the power supply. What kind do you have and do you have an alternate that you can test with?

RE: Heeeelllllppppp!!!! - Parvacake - 01-30-2015

Spoke with the guys who made the tower and they're pretty certain its a power supply problem. It usually lasts 300 days and I got all of this in Christmas of last year.

RE: Heeeelllllppppp!!!! - Bopdoot - 01-30-2015

*cringe* A power supply that only lasts 300 days?  Sounds fishy.. I mean, I've had mine for 2.5-ish years now without any issues at all.  At least a PSU isn't the most expensive part in a computer.  Hope you get it replaced soon!

RE: Heeeelllllppppp!!!! - Coatleque - 01-30-2015

A power supply should last considerably longer than 300 days. I've had mine for 3+ years now. Still, this would also be my first guess given the information supplied.

Advanced Tip:

That said, the easy way to test a power supply is to disconnect all of it's cables, then plug in the power cord. Take the motherboard connector (the big one with 20-24 pins) and use either needle-nose pliers, tweezers, or a paperclip to touch the green pin to any of the black ones. This simulates a "power on" button.

If it is working, the fan of the power supply should spin up.

RE: Heeeelllllppppp!!!! - Ririla Rila - 01-30-2015

Oooooo Oooooooo!

I had this problem! What make/brand laptop is it??

Going to guess a circuit in the motherboard has burnt out...Happened to my laptop only two months after having it.. got the motherboard replaced (under warranty)

RE: Heeeelllllppppp!!!! - Tyndles - 01-30-2015

If power supplies going out is a regular thing on your rig, your voltages might need a tweak.  Are you overclocking?

RE: Heeeelllllppppp!!!! - Parvacake - 01-30-2015

My computer is in near constant use due to downloads, renderings, and other things I use for work and recreation. So it going out now doesn't surprise me since power supply measures days of usage of power rather then the days you own a system.
Ill know more on Saturday Smile

RE: Heeeelllllppppp!!!! - Parvacake - 02-03-2015

Update: Got a new power supply since most people suggested it would help. However,  still no response. Going to have a professional come look at it in the morning to see if maybe I havent plugged something in right or if it is a issue with the motherboard. Though when I took off the back paneling nothing appeared melted or burnt ao Im hoping its a mistake on my end. But will know more by tomorrow evening/afternoon!

RE: Heeeelllllppppp!!!! - Ririla Rila - 02-03-2015

I hope I'm wrong and its not the motherboard! ( unless it's under warrenty!)  If it did burn out you wouldn't be able to see it, it would need to be ran through a scanner and tested D: I'm intrigued to find out  What happened to it! Keep Us posted!

RE: Heeeelllllppppp!!!! - Kage - 02-03-2015

Yeah the next thing I'd think of is the motherboard.