Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 01:50 PM)Kage Wrote: Reading this

Re: Does a healer need Swiftcast?

Quote:So, I am the healer-mate he is talking about. The whole point here is that I want to spend my game time raising my ilvl gear and doing what I enjoy the most (i'm ilvl 113 and not yet even started t1 of coil of bahamut ). My tank mate would like for me to use my game time raising my THM level, a thing that I find quite boring even if its only a couple of hours and of a lower priority than enjoying poetics farming for better gear, and he used a generalized confirmation of the importance of swiftcast expressed by you redditors to motivate his reasons for me to go get swiftcast instead of raising my ilvl. I understand the swiftcast-is-important argument in general, but nonetheless I defend my right to spend my game time doing whatever I enjoy the most, and will continue to do so above the opinion of the whole of reddit if needed. Me, and only me, will choose the right time for me to go get swiftcast. I'm sure you are smart enough to get my point.

I hope he never lets anyone die. Ever.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 01:55 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: I hope he never lets anyone die. Ever.

I hope he never expects a WAR to provoke something off of him. "Sorry, was too busy doing other stuff to level GLA. That's boring and not fun."

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-29-2015

"Why are you taking so many crits? Don't you have Awareness?"
"Sorry I didn't want to level boring other class to get Awareness."

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 01-29-2015

I will admit that having most of the "proper" cross-class skills help a lot. I had Gogon at 20 for basically all his combat classes within the two week trial - something I've mentioned often enough, I'm sure - and having access to all those abilities was really handy. Even just having Cure/Physick unlocked is a great way to reduce downtime when leveling a fresh combat class or help turn a death into a victory.

It also helped when I started getting the classes to 50 one by one. I got the casting classes topped first, with ACN being the one in front followed by WHM. May not sound like much, but I had Protect and Stoneskin available for EVERYONE, especially for when I leveled PLD. And as I move through the combat classes now, Blood for Blood and such have proven vital in making sure I feel like I'm not slacking on the DPS front, and I sorely missed all of that when leveling Chachan - not having Mercy Stroke along was annoying, and I just recently made the effort to pick it up.

On the other side of the coin, though, you really don't NEED them except in specific situations (i.e. Flash and Provoke). I got Chachan to PLD and NIN 50 without all the skills you "should" have. Heck, I don't even really need Stoneskin on PLD if I have a healer that has it covered. And the damage boosts for NIN I do have (i.e. just Internal Release), I often just completely forget about because I'm focused more on my rotation and mudras. Hasn't been a problem.

Swiftcast on a healer, however, is an oddball. It's really nice to have, but think of the situations it's used for mainly, besides summoning/buffing to avoid cast times - rezzing and panic heals. In other words, recovery. That's what you need Swiftcast for, when something goes wrong. If there isn't, then it most likely be left unused. Heck, more often than not I just use it to drop Shadow Nova as a SCH to add to the DPS... not entirely sure what a WHM would use it for when everything's going okay.

Thus, I see it as mainly a panic button at its worst and just a minor life improvement at best. Nice to have, but not nearly as vital as people seem to make it out to be if you have a good group. Emphasis on the good group. People who PUG regularly (like Gogon) will most likely want Swiftcast ASAP... or leave the dummies dead and hope they learn.

(Though, to be fair, I will probably still try and nab it at some point while leveling Chachan's CNJ for Stoneskin...)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 01:50 PM)Kage Wrote: Re: Does a healer need Swiftcast?

I mean... more power to that healer for doing what she wants to do with her time. I can respect that. Just... she's gonna have one heck of a time actually putting her Item Level to use without the proper tools. I see she hasn't done Coil yet, so I guess doing the content level she's doing, she feels she doesn't need the skill... which I guess is true... but if she ever wants to do anything above dungeons... IDK.

Respect for spending your time as you want to spend it, but sometimes you gotta buckle down and do things that aren't your favorite in order to better your experiences with the things you do actually enjoy. (And everyone else's.)

Tanks need to get Provoke. They'll rarely use it, but when you do need it, there's no substitute. Healers get Swiftcast. Even if you rarely use it for Swiftcast-Raise, it can make for a great insta-cure/adlo that may save lives. Swiftcast-Stoneskin II...

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 02:02 PM)Kage Wrote: "Why are you taking so many crits? Don't you have Awareness?"
"Sorry I didn't want to level boring other class to get Awareness."

The "it's not fun" defense is such a stupid slippery slope.

"Why don't you pull with Shield Lob?" Oh, class quests were boring, I never bothered with them.

"Why are you a class and not a job?" Look, this is how I prefer to play, alright?!

"We can't even do roulette together?" The dungeons are boring so I only do Haukke HM. It's the most fun.

Ugh.

I know some new tanks who didn't know they should do class quests. One of them went into Toto-rak face pulling everything cause he didn't know there was Shield lob.

My first question, realizing that Shield lob was class quest award was "Hey do you have [Shield Lob]?"

"No what's that?"

"Oh it's a an ability that you get from doing your class quests. It'll be really helpful for you when pulling cause you'll have more time to prep your agro and it will pull from a distance."

"Thanks! I'll do it next when we finish!"

Good times were had.
Not good times when people ignore you when you say "Oh if you haven't done it yet, that's ok. Could you [Flash]/[Overpower] more?" T_T

edit: even in the newer 4 man dungeons, I've run into groups that get wrecked by the first boss in keeper. I had one that insisted on never letting the small ones burst so they set off big chain reactions with the two that are almost forced on you. A death... Swiftcast would be nice. Or a SWIFT BIG HEAL WOULD TOO

(01-29-2015, 02:05 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: The "it's not fun" defense is such a stupid slippery slope.

In a similar vein... the people who choose not to do Coil because it's not fun for them but still feel entitled to Coil gear/Coil storyline cutscenes/spoilers. Ugh.

Note: No problem with people who can't do Coil because of RL restrictions. No problem with that at all. RL comes first. But people who have the time/item level, but are unwilling to do Coil because too lazy/not fun/don't want to deal with other people in an MMO.

(01-29-2015, 02:09 PM)Kage Wrote: edit: even in the newer 4 man dungeons, I've run into groups that get wrecked by the first boss in keeper. I had one that insisted on never letting the small ones burst so they set off big chain reactions with the two that are almost forced on  you. A death... Swiftcast would be nice. Or a SWIFT BIG HEAL WOULD TOO

Right, it's great for when something goes pear-shaped. But it in and of itself on your healer won't always save the day. It requires the folks you rezzed to stay alive and/or rez others (in the case of other healers/SMNs).

I had a Titan Trial roulette a couple days ago where I literally single-healed the whole thing. The other SCH dropped and would KEEP DYING every time I swiftcast-rez'd him. Meanwhile, three of the DPS were ALSO dead, leaving me with both tanks and a BLM. Granted, I got almost all the commendations at the end (5 out of 7, I believe)... but it wasn't Swiftcast that kept that from being a wipe.

It was me spamming Succor, Adlo, and Physick like a man possessed.

(01-29-2015, 02:14 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Note: No problem with people who can't do Coil because of RL restrictions. No problem with that at all. RL comes first. But people who have the time/item level, but are unwilling to do Coil because too lazy/not fun/don't want to deal with other people in an MMO.

Sad

I... I don't run Coil despite being i116 just because I'm still burned out on endgame raiding on WoW. I just want to do my roulettes and then dork around playing pretend with the other peoples. That's where my fun is.

Well if they keep letting themselves to avoidable damage I agree. But sometimes Titan's stomps will kill someone (Yes I've died to stomps because of poor healing as a PLD!!!1111) or things like the Main bomb in Keeper of the Lake.

Unavoidable high raid wide damage. Or those big cleaves and crit auto attacks. Swift cure IIs/medica II would be nice.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 01-29-2015

(01-27-2015, 12:45 PM)Telluride Wrote: A pox upon all those people who immediately vote Abandon in WoD after a single wipe by the first boss. Look, people, that floating eye bastard is probably the HARDEST boss in here, and if we can beat him, the rest will probably be cake by comparison. It's new content - stop acting like spoiled little 8-year-olds, pick yourselves up, and give it another go.

SO MUCH OF THIS IT HURTS. Seriously, what IS it with people demanding the auto-clears already? We've got new arrivals to this tier of raid ALL THE TIME. It's gonna be a thing that happens, dying. Hike up yer skirts and press on.

To add to this vent...can there be some clarity before Cerberus as to what Alliance does what? There's from my experience two trains of thought with regards to duties in that fight and alliance letter:

A-dds, B-elly C-hains, or
A-dds, B-oss C-how.

Some outright specifics of who the hell is doing what before the Shield Toss/Tomahawk, plz thx.

"NO WE'LL JUST RUN IN AND DO SHIT"

Me: /crai

Once had to get the chains cause no one said who got it so it was like "AHHH CHAIN"

(01-29-2015, 02:21 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote:
(01-27-2015, 12:45 PM)Telluride Wrote: A pox upon all those people who immediately vote Abandon in WoD after a single wipe by the first boss. Look, people, that floating eye bastard is probably the HARDEST boss in here, and if we can beat him, the rest will probably be cake by comparison.  It's new content - stop acting like spoiled little 8-year-olds, pick yourselves up, and give it another go.

SO MUCH OF THIS IT HURTS.  Seriously, what IS it with people demanding the auto-clears already?  We've got new arrivals to this tier of raid ALL THE TIME.  It's gonna be a thing that happens, dying.  Hike up yer skirts and press on.

I just think people feel like everyone else needs to act on their (perceived) level - or higher if they're feeling lazy and want to be carried.

Also, I'm noticing this more and more now that I'm doing more CT tanking on Chachan but... is there something about being MT? I usually tend to be the one getting aggro and holding it due to my STR accessories and my overall high iLevel, but the other Alliance tanks will still try to yank it off me... even as they also decry that "there's no prize for being MT."

I was doing Labyrinth... two days ago? with an entire party of the Alliance being myself and my FC mates. And there was this tank that WOULD NOT stop trying to pry the boss off me. This led to positioning problems as he yanked enmity off me while I was trying to get the boss into place (Bone Dragon and last boss)... and the OBNOXIOUS chain beeping noise as the boss de-aggroed and then RE-aggroed onto me.

Let the little midget in plate take the boss. I'll hold onto it, it's okay. Go grab the adds that are PUNCHING YOUR HEALER TO DEATH (Magic Jars fight, no joke. I went to try and save the healer since my group wasn't "phased" to do it and basically got there just in time to watch the healer crumple).

Is there something I'm missing? Or is this just an ePeen thing for some tanks?

(01-29-2015, 02:16 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 02:14 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Note: No problem with people who can't do Coil because of RL restrictions. No problem with that at all. RL comes first. But people who have the time/item level, but are unwilling to do Coil because too lazy/not fun/don't want to deal with other people in an MMO.

Sad

I... I don't run Coil despite being i116 just because I'm still burned out on endgame raiding on WoW. I just want to do my roulettes and then dork around playing pretend with the other peoples. That's where my fun is.

I've never seen you whinge about being entitled to a craftable version of the Coil gear, or that HA gear should drop out of 4-man dungeons, or my favorite that you should be able to view FCoB cutscenes in your inn room even though you've never set foot in BCoB. That's what irks me.

If you don't wanna do Coil, that's totally fine with me. If you want to be rewarded with a shower of free Coil gear and spoiler things and titles but are unwilling to even attempt the content to get them - that's where I have the problem. Hope that clarifies.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melodia - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 02:30 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 02:16 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

Sad

I've never seen you whinge about being entitled to a craftable version of the Coil gear, or that HA gear should drop out of 4-man dungeons, or my favorite that you should be able to view FCoB cutscenes in your inn room even though you've never set foot in BCoB. That's what irks me.

If you don't wanna do Coil, that's totally fine with me. If you want to be rewarded with a shower of free Coil gear and spoiler things and titles but are unwilling to even attempt the content to get them - that's where I have the problem.  Hope that clarifies.
*Wants the gear, loot, titles, etc.*

*Does not have static*

*cries*