Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 11-01-2016

(11-01-2016, 05:11 PM)Jana Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 02:36 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Wondrous Tails has brought out some truly stupid people.

Ultima Hard Mode. Party comp should definitely be 1 tank (the party leader) and 7 dps slot. I mean, we all know how tough that encounter is!

If it's unsynched, sure. The fight is about a minute long with all 60s. But did the party maker forget to turn that on?
That moment when people don't pop orbs but yourself and you can't self heal through all of them orz

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Cecily Jisi - 11-03-2016

So a few days ago, I was doing some PotD floors, right? (I think it was 21-30), and a guy disconnects. His friend says he was having lag issues and the other person and I were like "Okay no big deal, it happens". SIX FLOORS LATER, the guy (Let's just call him Jerry cuz why not?) and I agreed that enough time has past, we had to kick the disconnected guy. After the kick, the friend IMMEDIATELY started griefing. He was setting off traps on purpose, running back, aggroing more enemies and luring them back to us, he was acting like a complete child. It was around this time a healer came in to replace the DC'd guy. We called out Crybaby on his bullshit and he threatened to report us and get me banned for calling him an idiot. Eventually, Jerry, Healer, and I finally reported and kicked Crybaby for threatening us, griefing, etc. I don't think we got a guy to replace Crybaby that run, but we didn't need one in the end. And you wanna know what the funny thing is? I can't find Crybaby in the Lodestone :^)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Caleria Amih - 11-14-2016

The scene?  A run through Gubal on normal, facing down the boss of the run.  We'd managed to get this far (and seen nothing but MNK armor drop), and I figure that well, the boss isn't that hard (everybody knows the Demon Tome is the hardest fight of the dungeon), and we ought to be out with little fuss.

The others seem to know what they're doing, at least- a Black Mage, Astrologian and Warrior rounding out the team.  So we commence the fight, and everything goes well- we seal up the first Void Call, and get him down to about thirty percent HP.  That's when things go, well...

The boss opens up and starts casting a mid-level Void Call (four panels each requiring two or three people to block), and the three of them go to one panel, and me as a solo go to another panel, waiting for two more to join me so we're not drowning in adds.  The meter keeps slowly filling, yet nothing's happening- so I look over to the others.

They're just standing there, watching the meter fill.

I know they know how the fight works- they stopped the first Void Call, and they can see the other portals.  But unlike then, they're just doing nothing, and right in the middle of me typing a message telling them to seal the rest of the panels, Void Call goes off, and I immediately get to make a new friend as an add spawns on my shadow and tries to introduce itself by pulling my stomach out through my navel.

In the end, though, we did pull it out- even if it was much closer than it should ever have been.  What should have been an easy finish turned into one where it looked like we were going to have to pull it out by the skin of our teeth, but lucked out instead.  I was a bit peeved, but I left the instance before I said anything I'd really regret.

Why in the blazes would you let the boss make the fight any harder than it needs to be?  We could have sealed them up and finished the boss- I had a fresh charge of Battle Litany and BotD ready to go.

Is there any advantage to letting Void Call go off- some strategy I'm just not seeing?  I kind of always think that adds are a bad thing...

Another, smaller vent:  Why the hell do I get shyness attacks when I try to go RP-ing?  There could be a slate of events I want to hit, but it always feels like I manage to talk myself out of going ("Oh, they'll never want to be involved with your character.  They'll think your storyline is stupid and not want to play with you.  Why not spend the evening crafting and trying to make gil?")  and I miss out on stuff like the Crescent pub crawl that I'd been looking forward to for a week.

It's so frustrating to see an event that's cool or to make plans with others and then just never let them go anywhere just because of my own insecurities over how they might view Caleria.  I know there's at least one person I owe an apology to for that...

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Charity322 - 11-15-2016

I just want you to know that it's your fault that was so hard just now, tank.

Well I'm not very experienced tanking; do you have any advice?

Why you gotta need it. -.-

So mean. :[

I'm fully ready to believe that I did something wrong in the final battle, I am not the best tank, but ffs not all of us are born knowing exactly what to do and how are we going to learn if you don't tell us what we did wrong?

Ironically, I got a player commendation, so somebody must have felt sorry for me.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Biscuit_Egi - 11-15-2016

I had a tank once who kept trying to micromanage when I should go into cleric stance, which was weird because I was doing it anyway. It was on one of the low level dungeons. Copperbell, I think.

I've also had instances where the tank continuously kept running into fights before my MP had regened (pre-Shroud of Saints), one where a Dragoon decided that he wanted to play tank (it didn't end well for him), one time where the two DPS sat on the floor and refused to do anything, like literally just sat there...

Also would like it if people waited for Stoneskin II to finish casting before running off. K thanx

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Enla - 11-15-2016

(11-15-2016, 04:55 AM)Charity322 Wrote: I just want you to know that it's your fault that was so hard just now, tank.

Well I'm not very experienced tanking; do you have any advice?

Why you gotta need it. -.-

So mean. :[

I'm fully ready to believe that I did something wrong in the final battle, I am not the best tank, but ffs not all of us are born knowing exactly what to do and how are we going to learn if you don't tell us what we did wrong?

Ironically, I got a player commendation, so somebody must have felt sorry for me.
Honestly I've adopted the 'too bad, so sad' mentality when it comes to those kinds of people. I'm more than willing to learn. My FC mates can go on about how I hound them for 60 strats for various classes before I've even gotten them that high or how I'll stop a dungeon party from forming simply to watch the video if I even -think- it might be content new or that I haven't touched on a specific role. Yet I don't have any tolerance for people telling me I've messed up without actually letting me figure out why. Or worse, getting huffy over it.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Caleria Amih - 11-17-2016

Dear newbie(?) healer in our group running Titan Normal:

You're new, we get that.  But when Titan rears up and goes for his first Geocrush, please remember not to stand in the red at the very edge of the platform- you know, that bit of the arena that's going to crumble into the abyss, taking you with it?  Geocrush is going to hit everybody in the arena, just heal through it and we'll thump him. 

Also, please don't cuss us out when we tell you not to stand in the red and then proceed to do so two more times after this.  It's impossible for a synced party to beat any form of Titan without a healer.  We're just trying to help you get the clear, and if you'll just listen to us, we'll get said clear- but I just hope you took the lesson with you when you quit our group to go do something else. 

I'm kind of torn if you were either just stubborn or being a troll- I'm leaning towards stubborn this time around, mostly because Titan is the first real difficulty spike in the game, and he can be a real pain in the butt if given half a chance. (I ought to know, I hate all three of his forms with a burning passion.)  But unless you open up and get an idea as to what you have to do, you'll be stuck here for a while.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Charity322 - 11-17-2016

(11-17-2016, 05:59 PM)Caleria Amih Wrote: You're new, we get that.  But when Titan rears up and goes for his first Geocrush, please remember not to stand in the red at the very edge of the platform- you know, that bit of the arena that's going to crumble into the abyss, taking you with it?  Geocrush is going to hit everybody in the arena, just heal through it and we'll thump him.

Thank you! I was never sure where to stand when he did that and I always just ran around like a chicken with its head cut off, hoping I looked as if I knew what I was doing. XD So avoid the edge and I'm fine, yay. Well, until he starts casting Landslide. DX

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 11-17-2016

If you're a WAR and you're tanking in a dungeon, use your stances. Also Overpower, but I would hope I wouldn't have to explain that.

Did my Leveling roulette today to finish up my Anima upgrade and got Stone Vigil NM with a trio of on-level characters. Which was all fine and good except the WAR was... disappointing. Level 43, never once used Defiance, and I'm fairly certain he never used Overpower either. He DID start using Flash though once the Scholar got upset at him for not being able to keep aggro on more than one mob.

Both the SCH and I suggested repeatedly that he use Defiance and Overpower, but after his one chat post - which was an apology for the SCH getting hit due to his inability to maintain group aggro - he remained silent and seemed to be mostly ignoring us and continuing on his own thing.

I gave him until a little after the first boss before I votekicked him for harassment. Friend queued in and we breezed through the rest of it without our tank losing aggro to EOS.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - MBajihri - 11-18-2016

People in post-50 PotD facepulling entire floors, running into mid to eat landmines, then getting mad when I fail to keep them alive from 100% life's damage in a global. That's all I got!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 11-18-2016

PotD encourages cancerous dungeon behavior in a lot of players.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 11-18-2016

If I queue up for a leveling, and I end up in a in-progress Sastasha, Toto-rak, or Copperbell, I know instantly that the tank should uninstall.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Charity322 - 11-19-2016

(11-18-2016, 04:32 AM)Valence Wrote: PotD encourages cancerous dungeon behavior in a lot of players.

I now understand exactly what you mean. DX

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 11-28-2016

I started leveling dragoon for a change... I got into Haukke with another dragoon and a scholar. The tank is a fresh gladiator. When you see that only the tank is still without its job and probably a bit greener than the rest, you know that he will have a bit more trouble to keep aggro, etc. Especially as a gladiator.

Anyway. As soon as the timer starts and the barrier fades, the other dragoon rushes in and start aggroing everything. Not absolutely -everything-, but enough to make big pulls, which makes me think he wasn't trying to fuckup the run, just dictate the pace. I almost never leave a dungeon, but this was the last straw for the day. I expected the healer and the tank to tell him to calm the fuck down and let the tank do their job, but both didn't. I was the least well positionned to tell him, but I told him nevertheless. Got to make use of that mentor tag and all that jazz...

I left for 3 main reasons: 

1) I hate when people think they can take unilateral decisions on how to properly bypass roles and correct behavior. If everyone is fine with it, sure, go for it, but ask first please. I sure would have not been fine with it though, so yeah, I guess it's why you didn't ask. You perfectly knew that nobody would agree to that. Especially to a DPS pulling everything like an idiot.

2) Spineless tank and healer that rolled with it instead of complaining. Maybe they were all together in party though, which could explain that.

3) If the other DPS had been a BLM, SMN or what you have with great AoEs, alright. Your behavior is still obnoxious and rude as hell, but if the tank and heal don't mind, alright then. But we are 2 fucking dragoons with absolutely zero AoE skills at that point. While you are spending your time aggroing and pulling everything, we are left with just me and the tank and heal to mow down mobs one by one... And the heal had other things to take care of anyway considering the amount of mobs around the tank (AND you since you pull).

If you can't use your brain for 2 seconds and understand that it's not going any faster that way - quite slower actually since we are single target DPS-ing, and the heal is overwhelmed - then I don't know what to say. If you want to play tank instead of the tank, then play a fucking tank and run it your way.

And don't boast and tell me after I threaten to leave that you will manage without me. I'm sure you will. It will just take you 15minutes longer to get the clear. 

When people can't into basic logic skills. Frustrated

NB: and trying to leave a dungeon when people are constantly pulling things is a nightmare, because 'can't leave while fighting'. Have to take a step back and break combat, as hard as it is.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 11-28-2016

(11-28-2016, 07:09 AM)Valence Wrote: NB: and trying to leave a dungeon when people are constantly pulling things is a nightmare, because 'can't leave while fighting'. Have to take a step back and break combat, as hard as it is.

This particular little mechanic sucks for when you want to kick someone too. Since all they have to do to keep themselves from being removed is constantly initiate and maintain combat. Or, even better, if loot dropped - don't roll on anything. Because you can't initiate votekicks when there's still loot to be rolled on! Frustrated