Hydaelyn Role-Players
Allagan Weapons Lore - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Allagan Weapons Lore (/showthread.php?tid=9004)

Allagan Weapons Lore - Aaron - 11-19-2014

Just a quick question hope there's nothing to strict on it. If so apologizes in advance. 

I recently had a discussion about Allegan weapons being extremely OP (I remember reading somewhere that a full power swing from a allag weapon can change the weather and all that) and I told a friend that because of stuff like this rping with a Allegan sword would have people not taking him serious. I said it based only off past experience where I tried to get a gunblade but it wasn't lore friendly so I dropped it.

Anyone can elaborate? It's not much on Allags that I can find.

Thanks!

RE: Allagan Weapons Lore - Yssen - 11-19-2014

It largely depends on what type of Allagan weapon you are talking about. Yes, Allagans had weather machines and all sorts of WMDs of a crazy magic nature, but these were specific machines. These were not, say, the Allagan sword that drops from Coil. That sword is just a sword that looks neat. It tends not to change the weather when swung, just an ancient magitek sword. Yar.

RE: Allagan Weapons Lore - Warren Castille - 11-19-2014

I don't recall anything about the Rod of Seasons being canon to XIV, but it stands to reason that while Allagan weapons are powerful, they're not weather-changing or anything of that.

SOUNSYY. SOUNSYY GET IN HERE.

RE: Allagan Weapons Lore - Aaron - 11-19-2014

So they're like magitech?

RE: Allagan Weapons Lore - Unnamed Mercenary - 11-19-2014

(11-19-2014, 10:21 AM)Keyblade Wrote: So they're like magitech?

Most of the cool Garlean magitek stuff is basically reengineered allagan technology.

RE: Allagan Weapons Lore - Aaron - 11-19-2014

Ohhhhh. That explains a lot.

RE: Allagan Weapons Lore - Inessa Hara - 11-19-2014

The new ironworks gear is canonically basically reverse engineered allagan tech with garlean tech concepts in mind to help amplify the strength of the armor, thus why Ironworks gear is so rare and difficult to mass produce and obtain but stronger than the High Allagan Gear is SCOB.

I kinda wanna think of the ironworks gear as power armor of a sort, except without Regen shields or advanced high tech AI's.

RE: Allagan Weapons Lore - Sounsyy - 11-19-2014

<_<

Um... So there's a dev post maybe I can find that talks about the Allagan gear out of BCOB being what Allagan foot soldiers wore way back in the day. And the High Allagan gear out of SCOB was used by generals and officers etc.

However, it makes no specific mention of the Allagan weapon drops, but I highly doubt they can alter the weather by swinging them. They are pretty much just ancient magitek items. As Franz mentioned, the Magitek that Garleans used are re-engineered Allagan tech.

Yes, the Allagans had weapons of mass destructions, bio and chemical weapons, cloning, spaceships, and a bunch of other really cool stuff, but to the best of my knowledge, their swords were just that - swords.

RE: Allagan Weapons Lore - Merri - 11-19-2014

(11-19-2014, 11:35 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: Um... So there's a dev post maybe I can find that talks about the Allagan gear out of BCOB being what Allagan foot soldiers wore way back in the day. And the High Allagan gear out of SCOB was used by generals and officers etc.

I tried to dig for this, but I couldn't come up with anything. However, I'd love to see it if you could find it. Didn't really strike me as familiar, but I'm all about that. Given that I'd not seen or heard any word on their specific origins, I was of the mind that they were probably just equipment worn by the crews of those specific Ragnarok-class starships, with the armor itself being a reflection of their station aboard the vessel. Be it an engineer, security forces, etc.

In regards to changing the weather, I honestly don't recall that ever being a thing with the Allagan equipment. There's certainly no mention of it in any of the quest chain leading up to and including the start of T10, as I've experienced all that first hand. Doesn't pop up once.

And as far as it goes, it's been hinted that Magitek is reverse-engineered Allagan technology, but never confirmed, so do take it with a grain of salt~

All we know is that Solus zos Galvus revolutionized the Garlean military with the introduction of Machina prior to his becoming dictator of the then republic. Are the chances that Magitek was reverse engineered from Allag tech high? Very. Is it probably what happened? Yeah.

But, as with all things, until there's confirmation, there's always the possibility of it not being the case. Just something to keep in mind, as there is a distinction between what people have assumed over the years and what actually is. :>

In regards to the OP, though, honestly just think of them as very efficient weapons. They're likely crafted from an Allag Wootz alloy and have some form of relation to whatever class wields it. A thaumaturge's weapon will likely be very efficient at channeling aether, a summoner's book finely tuned and written to ease the mental strain of summoning, etc. Owning one certainly isn't out of the question, as there are plenty of Allag ruins lying about. Keeping them in fighting condition isn't a problem in canon either, as we have the all-mighty Dark Matter to plug that plot hole right at the source.

(11-19-2014, 11:21 AM)Inessa Hara Wrote: The new ironworks gear is canonically basically reverse engineered allagan tech with garlean tech concepts in mind to help amplify the strength of the armor, thus why Ironworks gear is so rare and difficult to mass produce and obtain but stronger than the High Allagan Gear is SCOB.

I kinda wanna think of the ironworks gear as power armor of a sort, except without Regen shields or advanced high tech AI's.

Now, in regards to this, the Ironworks armor is simply equipment forged by the Ironworks. It isn't actually Allagan, nor does it really bear any resemblance to Allagan armor. It is naturally influenced by Garlean design, and it is Magitek. However, it's born from the minds of both Garlean and Eorzean engineers, not just Garleans.

Standard issue imperial armor is more often than not reinforced with carbon and cermet fibers. That's basically the core of what makes Imperial armor so sturdy. If you look at the Ironworks equipment, it definitely has sort of a carbon-fiber appearance to it, much like Imperial short robes, so I'd say it's safe to assume that they are crafted using a similar technique. This likely will not be as efficient as armor from Imperial forges, however, as Eorzeans currently lack proper facilities to work with popular Imperial alloys such as Cermet. This could have changed recently, but as of the last time it was mentioned, we still lack such equipment.

RE: Allagan Weapons Lore - Sounsyy - 11-19-2014

(11-19-2014, 08:02 PM)Merri Wrote:
(11-19-2014, 11:35 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: Um... So there's a dev post maybe I can find that talks about the Allagan gear out of BCOB being what Allagan foot soldiers wore way back in the day. And the High Allagan gear out of SCOB was used by generals and officers etc.

I tried to dig for this, but I couldn't come up with anything. However, I'd love to see it if you could find it. Didn't really strike me as familiar, but I'm all about that.

Hmm... So I thought it was mentioned in this Dev post on the Origin and Lore of Equipment but it isn't. So I will keep digging!

Until then... disregard? Maybe I'm just going crazy? But coulda sworn I read it somewhere.

RE: Allagan Weapons Lore - Gegenji - 11-19-2014

(11-19-2014, 08:23 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Until then... disregard? Maybe I'm just going crazy? But coulda sworn I read it somewhere.
Here today, Allagan tomorrow? (I couldn't help myself)

Skimmed over everything here real quick, and the whole potential for magitek being reverse-engineered from Allagan stuff is pretty neat. All we've seen of it has been military-oriented (for obvious reason)... has there been any mentions in the lore of Allagan technology being reverse-engineered for something in the civilian sector? Medical supplies and procedures, that sort of thing?

RE: Allagan Weapons Lore - Merri - 11-19-2014

(11-19-2014, 08:30 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Skimmed over everything here real quick, and the whole potential for magitek being reverse-engineered from Allagan stuff is pretty neat. All we've seen of it has been military-oriented (for obvious reason)... has there been any mentions in the lore of Allagan technology being reverse-engineered for something in the civilian sector? Medical supplies and procedures, that sort of thing?

It hasn't been mentioned directly, no, but the empire itself does have civil engineers who design Magitek for the every day lives of it's Citizens. I remember that specifically because it was one of my questions on an questionnaire the RPC put together that was then answered on the official forums.

Bottom line there is Magitek is not just used as a tool of war in Garlemald, and does have civil applications.

It certainly isn't out of the question, though. For example, we know that the empire has their own type of "potion" known as Aqua Vitae, otherwise known as the Water of Life in latin. Cid uses it in a few missions as his healing ability. Could have been something they developed on their own, or with the help of reverse engineering. We unfortunately just have no way of knowing at this point.

Either way, if Magitek was indeed reverse engineered from Allag tech, I'm certain there's medical advancements that could have been spurred on by the discovery of Allagan medical equipment.

RE: Allagan Weapons Lore - Aaron - 11-20-2014

Appreciate all the input btw. This helps a lot with a discussion I had with Caex.

RE: Allagan Weapons Lore - Zelmanov - 11-21-2014

(11-19-2014, 08:39 PM)Merri Wrote:
(11-19-2014, 08:30 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Skimmed over everything here real quick, and the whole potential for magitek being reverse-engineered from Allagan stuff is pretty neat. All we've seen of it has been military-oriented (for obvious reason)... has there been any mentions in the lore of Allagan technology being reverse-engineered for something in the civilian sector? Medical supplies and procedures, that sort of thing?

It hasn't been mentioned directly, no, but the empire itself does have civil engineers who design Magitek for the every day lives of it's Citizens. I remember that specifically because it was one of my questions on an questionnaire the RPC put together that was then answered on the official forums.

Bottom line there is Magitek is not just used as a tool of war in Garlemald, and does have civil applications.

It certainly isn't out of the question, though. For example, we know that the empire has their own type of "potion" known as Aqua Vitae, otherwise known as the Water of Life in latin. Cid uses it in a few missions as his healing ability. Could have been something they developed on their own, or with the help of reverse engineering. We unfortunately just have no way of knowing at this point.

Either way, if Magitek was indeed reverse engineered from Allag tech, I'm certain there's medical advancements that could have been spurred on by the discovery of Allagan medical equipment.

Also Aqua Vitae was another word for very powerful alcoholic drinks...I just though Cid doused you in booze to dull the pain >_>