Hydaelyn Role-Players
Before things devolve... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Before things devolve... (/showthread.php?tid=8637)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Before things devolve... - Coatleque - 10-13-2014

(This may not be the right subforum, but it involved an RP plotline. Admins, please move accordingly.)

For those who did not hear the news yet, someone's character died over the weekend. A character who had a lot of connections through all the cities.

I just want to clear up any misconceptions about what happened, because this was a completely unexpected twist in the plot-line.

The one who died was the attacker. The one who fired was the defender. The defender was completely in the right for their actions. They were defending Grand Company property from an assault of a neighboring city state.

The defender in this case had no intention to kill the attacker. This person was not even aware of the death until much later. This needs to be said to clear the air before anyone jumps to conclusions. It was the attacker's own decision to make the wound be fatal AFTER they escaped, and due to complications - not FROM the wound itself.

I've seen a little bit of IC anger already against the defender. Before this person risks some sort of ostracization due to OOC/IC bleed through, I wanted to head these emotions off for all involved. It is not fair to them.

RE: Before things devolve... - Melkire - 10-13-2014

Hear, hear.

(bump)

RE: Before things devolve... - Roen - 10-13-2014

Whaaaaat?

I really hope there isn't an IC/OOC bleed through.

Although IC guilt/anger/blame is healthy for drama (*I* love such things haha), let's not carry that over to the player.

The decision to kill a character solely rests on the player of that character who died, in my opinion. No one can kill your character without your permission. Blame need not fall to anyone else.

RE: Before things devolve... - McBeefâ„¢ - 10-13-2014

Wat.

Who would get mad. It's quite possible people's characters might have faulty information on the issue, and react in various ways.

However if /I'm/ not even upset at the person OOCly, no one else should be lol. Nat died doing what she loved, being an idiot.

Oh yeah Nat died.

Edit: To be clear she died because she was shot, but also because no one healed her and she bled out. Of course the largest reason why she died is because I said so. Again though, this is all IC, I have no enmity to anyone involved.

RE: Before things devolve... - Coatleque - 10-13-2014

Roen and Natalie Wrote:What what whaaaaat!?

I just wanted to throw it out there before someone jumps the gun, that's all. Being angry IC is one thing, of course, and justified. Trying to force the other person in question into a specific situation when they had no idea this happened is another.

{edit} I.E. seeking vengeance without asking them if they are okay with it first.

RE: Before things devolve... - Knight Kat - 10-13-2014

Show Content

(Bump)

RE: Before things devolve... - Jancis - 10-13-2014

Every character's injuries are the sole decision of their player and no one else.

Considering no one was aware of this outcome and the spoiler alert is everyone will survive, she died because she did not tend so a wound and did not make it aware and chose to die. That is a very large responsibility to put on another player's character without their consent or prior knowledge.

A twist is fun and dandy, but in this case it harms another player's character in reputation and "score" which only their own player can choose.

She was killed by being an idiot.

RE: Before things devolve... - Parvacake - 10-13-2014

*waves* Bye bye Nat Sad

RE: Before things devolve... - DoomsdayClock - 10-13-2014

Hrmm....ic death is a slippery slope for the killer. Especially when it wasnt agreed upon first. iCly I cant see Iron ever being in the same room with the killer tho.

RE: Before things devolve... - Askier - 10-13-2014

*Juggles hand grenades in honor of Natalie*

RE: Before things devolve... - McBeefâ„¢ - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 06:22 PM)Jancis Wrote: Every character's injuries are the sole decision of their player and no one else.

Considering no one was aware of this outcome and the spoiler alert is everyone will survive, she died because she did not tend so a wound and did not make it aware and chose to die. That is a very large responsibility to put on another player's character without their consent or prior knowledge.

A twist is fun and dandy, but in this case it harms another player's character in reputation and "score" which only their own player can choose.

Err... in my opinion don't use lethal force in RP if you're not prepared for the consequences. There is a reason 'No killing' is written into the grindstone rules. Natalie never makes attacks against people in situations like this, unless she's completely willing to kill the person.

If you don't want the risk of killing people's characters then don't shoot at them I guess.

RE: Before things devolve... - Hyakki - 10-13-2014

Instead of making a public announcement on a board frequented by people who do not know, care or share the same server as the individuals involved, the matter could be handled privately within the circle of people it affects. This comes across as deliberate attention-seeking.

RE: Before things devolve... - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 06:32 PM)Iron Sea Wrote: Hrmm....ic death is a slippery slope for the killer. Especially when it wasnt agreed upon first. iCly I cant see Iron ever being in the same room with the killer tho.

If he ever learns who the killer is.

RE: Before things devolve... - Val - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 06:40 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(10-13-2014, 06:22 PM)Jancis Wrote: Every character's injuries are the sole decision of their player and no one else.

Err... in my opinion don't use lethal force in RP if you're not prepared for the consequences. There is a reason 'No killing' is written into the grindstone rules. Natalie never makes attacks against people in situations like this, unless she's completely willing to kill the person.

If you don't want the risk of killing people's characters then don't shoot at them I guess.

I kind of agree with this. Don't shoot/stab/whatever at someone unless you're ready to take the consequences. It is what it is, and I feel like whatever happened should be embraced as a wonderful opportunity for character development and IC drama. IC actions = IC consequences, and always should.

RE: Before things devolve... - Aya - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 06:49 PM)Mamushi Wrote: Instead of making a public announcement on a board frequented by people who do not know, care or share the same server as the individuals involved, the matter could be handled privately within the circle of people it affects. This comes across as deliberate attention-seeking.
Not... at all.

This event touches a significant proportion of the users of this site. This is the appropriate forum.