Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Purpose FAQ (FFXIV) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: General Purpose FAQ (FFXIV) (/showthread.php?tid=798)

General Purpose FAQ (FFXIV) - Freyar - 10-04-2010

This is a general purpose FAQ for the CE and RETAIL release of Final Fantasy XIV: Online.

--------
GENERAL

Q. What is Final Fantasy XIV: Online?

Final Fantasy XIV: Online is a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy XI. While it shares the same name, races, and a few UI changes, Final Fantasy XIV: Online holds an independent story arc and universe.

Fight your way through up to fifteen different disciplines or classes. In Final Fantasy XIV: Online, you are allowed to change your class on-the-fly and take abilities from other disciplines thanks to the new Armory system.

**Pending replacement description.

Q. How much does Final Fantasy XIV: Online cost?

US$49.99 or UK£34.99 for the NA/UK Standard Edition
OR
US$74.99 or UK£49.99 for the NA/UK Collector's Edition

The monthly fee for Final Fantasy XIV is:
US$12.99, UK£8.99, or EU€ 12.99 for 30 days with one character slot.

Each additional character slot (up to a total of eight for one account) is:
US$3.00, UK£2.10, or EU€ 3.00

Each additional retainer is:
US$1.00, UK£0.70, or EU€ 1.00

The 30/90/180 day subscriptions are like standard MMO subscriptions. As such you can get a discount if you set up for 180 day subscriptions as opposed to going month-to-month.

Q. What is Crysta?

Crysta is a representation of cash being placed on your account. 1 Crysta is worth US$0.01 and can be used to pay for your Final Fantasy XIV: Online subscription, extra character slots, and retainer fees. Additional uses are coming up soon including the potential to buy clothing for avatars on Square-Enix's “Members” site and retail games.

Using Crysta is the only way to be able to pay via Paypal.

Q. You said Crysta is the only way to pay via Paypal. What billing methods are accepted for Final Fantasy XIV: Online?

The first is to sign up for “Click and Buy”. Click and Buy is an alternative to Paypal that can charge your credit card directly for fees related to Final Fantasy XIV: Online. The downside is that this can take a few days and can be fairly invasive as well since US and EU banks can be quite sensitive to the nature of international transactions.

PROs
  • Charges the exact amount of your subscription cost to your card.
  • No extra points left over.
  • Allows for recurring payments.[/list:u]

CONs
    • Requires three days to charge two amounts to your card.
    • Requires verification.
    • Some banks refuse to allow certain international transactions.[/list:u]

The second is to use Crysta through “UltimatePay”. UltimatePay is effectively a go-between for point systems in various games. “UP” cards are available in certain areas allowing players to buy “UP” points which can then be converted to Crysta. However, buying Crysta online through Ultimate Pay can also be done with Paypal with a cleaner result.

PROs
      • Allows you to pay your subscription fee in advance.
      • Gives you a second method to pay for [/i]Final Fantasy XIV: Online[/i] if your bank refuses to support Click and Buy.
      • Allows payments to be made by Paypal, which is not typically stopped by banks.[/list:u]
        CONs
        • Leaves leftover credit after your subscription is paid for. (EX: 7,000 Crysta - ~6,500 Crysta for 180 days leaves 500 left over.)
        • UltimatePay Cards can result in leftover “UltimatePay” points, resulting in the same problem as above with UltimatePay in itself. (EX: 500 Crysta left over, plus ~120 UP points left over on the UltimatePay site.)
        • Tax is reported to be applied to UltimatePay Cards.
        • Not available for some regions.[/list:u]

Q. How much Crysta can I buy at once?

Currently in packs of 500, 1k, 2k, 3k, 5k, and 10k.

Q. What are the names of the servers for Final Fantasy XIV: Online?

At this time of writing, the current list is reported to be:
          • Cornelia
          • Kashuan
          • Gysahl
          • Mysidia
          • Istory
          • Figaro
          • Wutai
          • Trabia
          • Lindblum+
          • Besaid*
          • Selbina
          • Rabanastre
          • Bodhum
          • Melmond
          • Palamecia
          • Saronia
          • Fabul
          • Karnak[/list:u]

*RPC Unofficial Roleplaying Server
            +RPC Unofficial Roleplaying Server (overflow)

ACCOUNTING

Q. How do I redeem my keys?

You can activate your account and redeem your keys here[square-enix.com].

Q. Are product keys region specific?

Yes, keys are region specific.

Q. My keys are returned saying they are invalid. What can I do?
            Your first option is to contact Final Fantasy XIV: Online support here [square-enix.com]. (Use the region controls in the top right.)

TECHNICAL

Q. What are the minimum and recommended system specifications?
            Minimum:
            • Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
            • Memory: 1.5GB RAM (2GB for Vista/W7)
            • Video: nVidia GeForce 9600 with 512MB vRAM OR ATI Radeon HD 2900 with 512MB vRAM
            • Hard Drive: 15GB (and an additional 6GB for patches/content)
            • Sound: DirectX 9 compatible
            • Internet: Broadband[/list:u]

Recommended:
              • Processor: Core i7 2.66GHz
              • Memory: 4GB RAM
              • Video: NVidia GeForce GTX 460 with 768MB vRAM
              • Hard Drive: 15GB (and an additional 6GB for patches/content)
              • Sound: DirectX 9 compatible
              • Internet: Broadband[/list:u]

Q. Is there an official digital release of Final Fantasy XIV: Online?
                At the time of this writing, there is no official digital distribution of Final Fantasy XIV: Online.

Q. Final Fantasy XIV: Online crashes when I try and start it?
                Crashes are common in the PC field, and require a bit of elimination to figure out what the problem is. The first few steps are to make sure your video and sound drivers are up-to-date.

ATI Video Cards[amd.com]
                nVidia Video Cards[nVidia.com]
                Creative Audio Cards[creative.com]

You may want to consider using something like Driver Sweeper[guru3d.com] to ensure old installations of problematic drivers are completely removed. NOTE: Follow the instructions to the letter. This program is not endorsed by Square-Enix, The Role-Playing Coalition, Raptor Jesus, God, John, nor Officer Barbrady.

Q. Performance is low even though I have met the minimum requirements, what can I do?
                Like APB: All Points Bulletin, Final Fantasy XIV: Online runs better with a quad-core CPU. Final Fantasy XIV: Online is significantly CPU dependent and in this case there may be nothing you can do outside of turning off any unneeded programs before playing.

Q. My framerates are pretty bad, and I have a decent PC. What can I do to increase them?

When you use the configuration tool for Final Fantasy XIV: Online, make sure you disable Ambient Occlusion and Field of Depth. Reduce Shadow detail to “normal”, reduce your resolution, turn off Multisampling, and if push comes to shove turn the Buffer size to “half” or “quarter”.

The actual performance gain is dependent on your system configuration.

Q. Can I use a controller to play Final Fantasy XIV: Online?

Yes, you can! Just run the configuration tool prior to starting Final Fantays XIV: Online and you can map your buttons there. If your controller supports it, you can even turn on vibration feedback.

Keep in mind that Wireless Xbox 360 controllers will REQUIRE an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller Reciever in order to use a Wireless Xbox 360 controller. The Play 'n Charge kit only charges 360 controllers, it doesn't let you play with one.

Re: General Purpose FAQ (FFXIV) - Freyar - 10-04-2010

****RESERVED FOR MOAAAAAAAAR!****

****RESERVED FOR MOAAAAAAAAR!****

Re: General Purpose FAQ (FFXIV) - DAISHI - 10-04-2010

So awesome it needed to be double posted!

MOOOAAARRR!!! Chocobo

DAISHI Wrote:So awesome it needed to be double posted!

MOOOAAARRR!!! Chocobo

MOOOOAR!

Re: General Purpose FAQ (FFXIV) - MereLee - 10-04-2010

You can just check this page:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/envi/envi04.html">http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl ... nvi04.html</a><!-- m -->

P.D. Adding Options and payment methods is very confusing for some (personally I had to set it up for 4 ppls already).

Re: General Purpose FAQ (FFXIV) - Therese - 10-04-2010

I think I might be having trouble with it too. As ever since I put my debit card into the system, it seems to have been declining my Visa that is attached to it. I'm starting to wonder if I should give them a call or something. :s

Re: General Purpose FAQ (FFXIV) - Volkai - 10-04-2010

MereLee Wrote:Additional characters cost 3 dlls ... and they are called Options in the SE Account Manager.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/envi/envi04.html">http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl ... nvi04.html</a><!-- m -->

P.D. Adding Options and payment methods is very confusing for some (personally I had to set it up for 4 ppls already).
3 dlls? I didn't know we could pay in .dll files!

...Oh wait, you meant dollars, didn't you....

Therese Wrote:I think I might be having trouble with it too. As ever since I put my debit card into the system, it seems to have been declining my Visa that is attached to it. I'm starting to wonder if I should give them a call or something. :s

Wonder if you are talking about your FFXI account ... cuz most of us already had our Credit Cards attached to our Play Online + FFXI
But you can't pay FFXIV with Credit Card as it is not attached to Play Online ... common mistake.

You have to set up a new payment method through SE Account Manager. Here is the link :

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.square-enix.com/na/account/crysta/charge.html">http://www.square-enix.com/na/account/c ... harge.html</a><!-- m -->

There is no hints about using PayPal tho, until you actually try to buy crysta through your SE Account Manager.

But yeah ... if you are having problems with your clickandbuy or PayPal, then you should contact them and/or your bank.

MereLee Wrote:Additional characters cost 3 dlls ... and they are called Options in the SE Account Manager.

It is kind of stupid, but at least for the first month every character slot is free. I activated all eight just for the hell of it (though all but one is canceled now.)

Is there a contradiction between what you wrote here and what I have in the FAQ? I think it all says the same thing?

lol delete

No kittens were hurt in the posting of this posts o.o

MereLee Wrote:Yep, you corrected it 5 mins ago, thank you ^^

Show Content

Those were minor formatting fixes, and the addition of controller information.

heheh, I knew I should of quote, but is not big deal ... I just wanted the info to be right.

Deleting the post so you can be happy ^^