Hydaelyn Role-Players
Black Mage of Mystery! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Black Mage of Mystery! (/showthread.php?tid=7821)

Black Mage of Mystery! - Khu - 07-30-2014

Hi! 

I'm relatively new to RP, although I did RP with a friend for a few months. Lately I'm looking to get more involved in playing with other people but I'm a little nervous. I create characters for comics and things but I know that RP is a bit of a different beast to tackle. Currently, I play a lv. 50 Black Mage. I'm still weeding through story quests but I'm on the tail end of them. I'm super up for suggestions when it comes to RP style and would love to join a linkshell if anyone would take me. 

My character's name is Ath'mara Reign, and she's a bit of a brooding, watchful person. She is obsessed with the occult and disciplines of magic. Although strength and power appeal very much to her so if Dark Knight or something like it is released, she'd totally be all over that. 

As for back story, I've been told that I tend to make my characters a bit on the special snowflake side, so if anyone feels like making suggestions, I'm up for it. I'm used to making characters for comics where there needs to be a bit of flair in order to make the story interesting. Haha... I guess I'm just nervous is all. Can anyone help me out?Chocobo

RE: Black Mage of Mystery! - Warren Castille - 07-30-2014

I personally subscribe to the "Your actions in the story make you who you are" idea. An interesting backstory is great for storytelling (and goes great in a place like here) but I've never been satisfied with my RP being me telling people about the things I've done.

Other than that, look around! See what people are up to, try and find folks who you think will mesh with you. It's a big world out there.

RE: Black Mage of Mystery! - Argent Wren - 07-31-2014

Welcome to the RPC and RPing in general!

I'd agree with Warren; I always feel more satisfied developing a character than relaying a backstory. Maybe take a look at the wiki & characters there (we all have links in our sigs Wink ), and see what other people have done to give yourself some ideas?

Best solution though, imo, is if you're not sure, come up with a base character idea and roleplay with someone in game to develop the character a bit to figure out where you want to go with it; you can always rearrange their backstory later!

Feel free to shoot me a /tell in game (Elsa Vanmere) if I'm online.

RE: Black Mage of Mystery! - Merri - 07-31-2014

(07-30-2014, 11:20 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I personally subscribe to the "Your actions in the story make you who you are" idea. An interesting backstory is great for storytelling (and goes great in a place like here) but I've never been satisfied with my RP being me telling people about the things I've done.

This, basically. Merri has an incredibly detailed background I've fleshed out for him over the last four years, but 99% of it rarely gets referenced because there's really no need. It's there to define his character, and why he is the way he is, but ultimately it doesn't really come up.

Having this huge back story isn't what draws most people into your character. It's being engaging and having a fun character in the present. So, my suggestion would be to develop a rough idea for your character's background. Where they came from, how they grew up, maybe a few important events that have occurred in their life up until this point that has influenced who they are, and then just dive in once you're comfortable with what you have.

Most of your character's development usually just comes from being them. They'll come into their own over time.

As far as uniqueness goes, there's a fine line. You can certainly have a john doe of a character, and people won't really bat an eye. There's plenty of them. Conversely, having a character with some unique traits also is incredibly common, given the setting, so you certainly shouldn't be afraid of giving your character some spins to make them your own. We've seen blind characters who see through "feeling" aether, we've had mute characters that communicate solely through gestures, and countless characters that hail from all corners of Hydaelyn. Even my own character is missing an arm, and has a magitek-based prosthesis in it's place.

Point being, don't let other people's opinions stop you from playing a character archetype you'd like to play. In the end, you literally can't please everyone in roleplay. Some people won't like your character, the way you play them, or their background. Other people will love it. In the end, though, most people won't give you trouble for it even if they don't like your character. It just sort of boils down to having respect and being a mature adult at that point.