Hydaelyn Role-Players
Suggestion for Site/Forums - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Suggestion for Site/Forums (/showthread.php?tid=7816)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Fox - 09-30-2015

(09-30-2015, 08:29 PM)Kage Wrote: Is there a way to filter Recent Active Threads, even on just user end? This way threads from certain sections of the forum *cough*NoMod'sLand*cough* or even Off-Topic in general, are not in there?

As Natalie pointed out, I really sure hope there is a way. I'd like to be able to see stuff of substance. As much as No Mods Land is amusing.

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Kage - 09-30-2015

(09-30-2015, 08:30 PM)Foxberry Wrote:
(09-30-2015, 08:29 PM)Kage Wrote: Is there a way to filter Recent Active Threads, even on just user end? This way threads from certain sections of the forum *cough*NoMod'sLand*cough* or even Off-Topic in general, are not in there?

As Natalie pointed out, I really sure hope there is a way. I'd like to be able to see stuff of substance. As much as No Mods Land is amusing.
I've always wanted to filter out Off-Topic out of it, while nice I don't care for the compliments thread in that feed. I'll be sad for others not taking place but it's not a forum I really care to always have in that feed.

And there is now a perfectly good reason to look into it. >.>

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - FreelanceWizard - 09-30-2015

As a person who definitely, 100%, absolutely wants to never see that forum, you can rest assured I am currently working on it.

EDIT: A temporary fix is in place right now. We're working on the final one.

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Vitamin C - 09-30-2015

(09-30-2015, 08:32 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: As a person who definitely, 100%, absolutely wants to never see that forum, you can rest assured I am currently working on it.

EDIT: A temporary fix is in place right now. We're working on the final one.

-Walks up with tattered coat, broken leg, and a crutch made out of the local homeless guy's box-

Pl-please sir, let us have our board.

-Holds up an empty soda can-

This is the opt-in function for the forum itself. If you do not opt in, you will never see the forum or any of its posts.

I'm currently (right now, in fact Smile ) adding an "opt-out" field for that forum and Off-Topic Discussion to the Profile in the User CP. You can go ahead and pop in there and set those checkboxes now if you want; once I finish the template coding in a few minutes, that will hide posts in those forums from Recent Threads even if you've opted in.

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Melkire - 09-30-2015

(09-30-2015, 09:03 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: This is the opt-in function for the forum itself. If you do not opt in, you will never see the forum or any of its posts.

I'm currently (right now, in fact Smile ) adding an "opt-out" field for that forum and Off-Topic Discussion to the Profile in the User CP. You can go ahead and pop in there and set those checkboxes now if you want; once I finish the template coding in a few minutes, that will hide posts in those forums from Recent Threads even if you've opted in.

Please. Please, please, please. Moderators and admins need this. We need to be able to view the board in case there's any illegal activity... but we'd rather not have the Recent Threads flooded.

Heart Heart Heart

And like magic, there you go. Smile

In your profile, you can check off which of the two off-topic forums, if any, you no longer want to see in Recent Threads. Please note that, because of limitations in our forum software, if you opt out of both and are also opted into No Mod's Land, it's entirely possible you may see no recent threads. I'll keep looking for a way to work around that, but it has to do with some Deep Magic in the forum software and how it builds that list.

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Warren Castille - 09-30-2015

Something I keep forgetting to bring this up, but is it possible to have the recent threads auto jump to the most recent post? It always felt like a clumsy thing to click a thread and then jump to last page.

It does if you click the word "Last Post". Smile

Thank you :3 I can definitely live with this.

Freelance Wizard is a Wizard!

I am about to test it but man the perfect thing would be able to access the subforum, not have it in the Latest section and still have 8 threads show in that bar.

(09-30-2015, 09:47 PM)Kage Wrote: I am about to test it but man the perfect thing would be able to access the subforum, not have it in the Latest section and still have 8 threads show in that bar.

Yeah, it's that last part that's the pain. Sad

The reason why is that the recent threads list is generated deep in the bowels of the software, and the new custom profile threads actually operate in the templates, right as it's rendering the page. So, the template is called 8 times from the forum software, and what it does is check to see if you've opted out of the forum in question. If so, it noms the link (and puts a nice comment in to tell you so in the HTML).

The tough part is getting the bowels of the software to do that checking instead. I may be able to write a plugin or patch to do this... stay tuned. Big Grin

No worries if not. It's liveable but also a little sad looking XD

(09-30-2015, 09:47 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: It does if you click the word "Last Post". Smile

I must be blind. In the sidebar on the left of Recent Posts I only have the option to click on the OP of the thread, there's no sub-arrow or link to Latest Post. That's only there if I click the link in the actual "Last post" on the forum side, on the right.

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-30-2015

(09-30-2015, 10:14 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(09-30-2015, 09:47 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: It does if you click the word "Last Post". Smile

I must be blind. In the sidebar on the left of Recent Posts I only have the option to click on the OP of the thread, there's no sub-arrow or link to Latest Post. That's only there if I click the link in the actual "Last post" on the forum side, on the right.

[Image: Rn42wtn.png]

Right there.

(09-30-2015, 10:19 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(09-30-2015, 10:14 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:

[Image: Rn42wtn.png]

Right there.

OH MY GOD I AM FUCKING BLIND