Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Poll] Defining RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Poll] Defining RP (/showthread.php?tid=77)

[Poll] Defining RP - Kylin - 03-22-2010

Voting officially begins. The poll will last for 7 days. If it does not pass, round 2 of discussions will begin and be led by someone else. If it does pass, this will be placed on the main site in the etiquette section. This is not a rule, but rather a guide for RPers. Remember that you are voting on the entire thing. Feel free to post your thoughts on why you voted a certain way if you'd like.

=======================================

Definition:

Role-play is defined as making a conscious effort to act out the role of a particular character. This is done through one’s language and behavior. A role-player also separates out of character behavior with their in character behavior to some degree. Spontaneous just for fun emotes do not constitute as RP unless such emotes are consistent with what the character would actually do. Role-play is basically writing and acting a believable role in a particular setting, much like characters from a movie or television show. Role-play is seeing the world through the eyes of your character rather than yourself.

When one is actively role-playing, they are considered in character (IC). When talking about real life, game mechanics, and so on, one is considered out of character (OOC).

Classes of RP:

Role-playing can be divided into four classes: light, casual, moderate, and heavy. These are by no means the full spectrum and many role-players fall somewhere in between certain categories.

Light Role-player: A player who may enjoy a form of "No-strings-attached" role-play. Tends to be out of character more than they are in-character and generally do not participate in in-depth character development and/or Role-play. He/she may assume a spontaneous role with little planning.

Casual Role-player: A light mix between being out of character, and in-character. They enjoy their out of character activities, but still enjoy engaging in role-play on a semi-regular basis. They may or may not participate in deep character development and/or plotting.

Moderate Role-player: This player tends to lean more towards their role-play than their out of character goals. They enjoy engaging in deep character development and prefer only a light amount of out-of-character conduct. He/she typically has a good understanding of their character’s traits, habits, and other details.

Heavy Role-player: Full on immersion. This player enjoys staying in character as often as possible. They may still engage in out-of-character activities, though it is by no means a priority. They enjoy deep character development and plotlines, having an intimidate understanding and connection to their character.

Freelance role-players, while not a "class" of RP, deserve mentioning as well. The term "freelance" refers to the role-players not affiliated with a particular RP group.

Re: [Poll] Defining RP - Jakky - 03-22-2010

I accept this proposal - it is logical, without being limiting, restrictive or oppressive in any way.

Re: [Poll] Defining RP - Eltharian - 03-22-2010

I voted yes. Short and to the point, which would be a good read for potential new roleplayers in my opinion.

Re: [Poll] Defining RP - Eva - 03-22-2010

I also voted yes, even though I think it's a bit more wordy than it needs to be. It is adequate.

Re: [Poll] Defining RP - Klare - 03-22-2010

Klare approves!

Gives all the detail I think an rper needs, plus let's role players have a chance to think about what type of rper style they themselves fall into.

Re: [Poll] Defining RP - Kylin - 03-22-2010

Poll closed. Yet another unanimous vote. For a group that likes to "chase our own tails" in the discussion threads, we sure seem to always come to the same exact consensus in the end xD. I was expecting more "no" votes to be honest. I'll add this to the etiquette section.

Re: [Poll] Defining RP - Nomine - 03-22-2010

We just like to talk. We're fabulous linguists!

Re: [Poll] Defining RP - Eltharian - 03-22-2010

Yeah, i'm glad we all can come to an agreement in the end on issues, go us. Although a lot of the members have still yet to join in on the discussions and votes.