Hydaelyn Role-Players
Any amoral characters in Limsa? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Any amoral characters in Limsa? (/showthread.php?tid=6931)

Any amoral characters in Limsa? - Zhavi - 04-14-2014

Soo, though I have come across many characters, I haven't yet found a morally bankrupt businessman-woman/thug/thief/pirate/whatever in Limsa Lominsa who would be able to hire Zhi/work with her and whose player might appreciate dark humor and grimdark sorts of situations (if you've read Joe Abercrombie. . .not quite as dark due to the setting, but definitely hitting the edge). While there are a many characters in Limsa Lominsa who operate on the underside of the law, I haven't seen any who are explicitly amoral/cruel/whatever you wanna call it. It's possible I might have overlooked a character or two, too. So, please, if you know of a character who fits this description or have one (and are open to me dumping a bunch of ideas on you), please reply here or send me a pm.

Please note that this applies to Balmung unless the player is willing to rp exclusively on the forums. Also, the character must operate to some extent in Limsa Lominsa due to Zhi never leaving Limsa's general vicinity.

Thanks! <3

RE: Any amoral characters in Limsa? - Melkire - 04-14-2014

The trouble with Abercrombie's characters - mind you, I've only read his First Law trilogy - is that most of them fall neatly into one of three categories: the mentally unstable (Logen, Ferro), the helpless meek whom the other types prey on (Luthar, most of the Union's government officials), and the explicitly cruel (Bayaz, Ninefingers, why you gotta be such d-bags). A few characters blur the lines and incorporate elements from all three (Gloktaaaaa <3), but otherwise it holds up.

To my understanding, not many people would want to roleplay as any of those three types. Being unhinged, helpless, or cruel doesn't feel "heroic".

That said, I know a few people in my FC who have alts that might fit the bill. They may not be "cruel", and they may not be quite as dark as what you're after, but their standards when it comes to morality don't line up with most other folks'. There's "underside of the law" and then there's "blatant disregard for the law... and for ethics, to boot". Said alts operate out of Limsa more often than not, and we might be shifting more of the FC's focus to at-sea operations soon, as well.

I'll contact them and see if they'll send you a PM.

RE: Any amoral characters in Limsa? - Zhavi - 04-14-2014

Ahh, beg pardon, I didn't mean the characters themselves, but the sort of tone -- that sense that people are willing and able to do any number of terrible things in the name of survival and furthering their own goals. (Glokta was my favorite out of those, too) I do enjoy playing and interacting with non-heroic characters though, I will admit; one of my favorite types to play is the washed-up has been. However, they aren't altogether necessary. The amoral bit is mostly what I want to hit upon -- not just "willing to break the law" but "no holds barred, don't care who gets hurt".

Thank you so much for contacting the players for me!!

RE: Any amoral characters in Limsa? - TheBlob - 04-14-2014

Hey there!
I'm one of the alt-ers mentioned above.

While I'm unfamiliar with the author and works mentioned (though now largely interested!) I  do have an amoral character of sorts. Andralyn splits most of her business between La Noscea and Thanalan. She runs a profitable ring of prostitution and is currently in the works to get her trade routes back up and running after hitting a bit of trouble since being made captain of her vessel.

While she tends to prefer being on the up and up she certainly has a skewed idea of where lines should be drawn and which lines to push or break completely in order to ascertain her goals. 

She does not consider herself a pirate and is quick to deal with those that do.

I believe she's a bit less 'break the line to serve my purposes' than what you may be looking for. 

However! I do have a lovely little sociopath that is eager to do whatever it takes to keep a smile on her face and coins in her pocket.... for now though she terrorizes the Shroud... we could work Limsa into her new stomping grounds if her mate's up to it... she does love seafood... :-D

(04-14-2014, 04:32 PM)ShayRei Wrote: While she tends to prefer being on the up and up she certainly has a skewed idea of where lines should be drawn and which lines to push or break completely in order to ascertain her goals. 

She does not consider herself a pirate and is quick to deal with those that do.

I believe she's a bit less 'break the line to serve my purposes' than what you may be looking for. 

However! I do have a lovely little sociopath that is eager to do whatever it takes to keep a smile on her face and coins in her pocket.... for now though she terrorizes the Shroud... we could work Limsa into her new stomping grounds if her mate's up to it... she does love seafood... :-D

Ooh, well, both of those sound interesting. Do you have wikis of them I could look at? Even if the first isn't quite as no holds as the other, prostitution is one area that draws Zhi in, so it might still work out nicely! Thank you much for your response. Smile

I don't have wikis, no. I've had terrible experience with players taking OOC knowledge into IC situations so I tend to stick toward letting others learn about my characters via RP sessions or discuss some way, privately, of their character gaining information about mine.

Though with Mrs. Pimp lady being the way she is, there would be some information fluttering on the wind. I'll look into a few rumor/public knowledge bits. Smile

Happy to discuss things further in a PM or in game!

Daphine Rysen
Andralyn Thatcher

RE: Any amoral characters in Limsa? - Yangh - 04-14-2014

Yangh may be what you're looking for!

Wiki link for you! 

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Yangh_Linh

RE: Any amoral characters in Limsa? - Melkire - 04-14-2014

...why are the crazies all female Keepers? I'm scared. Cry

RE: Any amoral characters in Limsa? - Yangh - 04-14-2014

(04-14-2014, 05:39 PM)Melkire Wrote: ...why are the crazies all female Keepers? I'm scared. Cry
 Yangh isn't crazy... she's just very misunderstood... and good at killing people... but not crazy! @_@

You guys are so awesome! PMs are underway. Smile

RE: Any amoral characters in Limsa? - LandStander - 04-14-2014

Check the signature. It explains everything. We are based out of Thanalan though, not Limsa. We are currently at a bit of a war with the players who play Sultanasworn and a friend of mine will be making a masked vigilante for some fun comic book style humor and action Big Grin

EDIT: I should also add that all you other unsavory types out there, if you wanted to set up alliances between our linkshells or characters just let me know <3.

Yeah, Ul'dah is brimming with all sorts of crooked shenanigans -- but I'd wanted to play a character strictly based in one city, and Limsa Lominsa was the city that spoke to me (I have a thing for port cities). Heheh, reaping what I've sown I guess! Still though, there is a lot about the rp in Ul'dah that is really quite something, and probably one day I'll make an alt to try to engage with it, but for now it's all about Zhavi and her entanglement in Limsa's underbelly. :3

(04-14-2014, 05:39 PM)Melkire Wrote: ...why are the crazies all female Keepers? I'm scared. Cry

Watch out for those females stalking around at night. We'll getcha.

RE: Any amoral characters in Limsa? - LandStander - 04-14-2014

(04-14-2014, 07:29 PM)Zhavi Wrote: Yeah, Ul'dah is brimming with all sorts of crooked shenanigans -- but I'd wanted to play a character strictly based in one city, and Limsa Lominsa was the city that spoke to me (I have a thing for port cities).  Heheh, reaping what I've sown I guess!  Still though, there is a lot about the rp in Ul'dah that is really quite something, and probably one day I'll make an alt to try to engage with it, but for now it's all about Zhavi and her entanglement in Limsa's underbelly.  :3

Not going to be crooked for much long! Denn will unite the warring criminal bosses under one banner and take over the city! Mwahahaha.

Have fun in your smelly fish town! We'll come for that next Evil

RE: Any amoral characters in Limsa? - Yangh - 04-15-2014

*Adds a few names to a list* "Mhm? Don't mind me..." o.o