Hydaelyn Role-Players
Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Innocence and Avarice [closed] (/showthread.php?tid=6812)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Goodfellow - 07-10-2014

Styrm's hand cracked like thunder once against his knee and he rolled back.

"'Ey, some'un looks mighty pleased with 'erself, she does!  But when yer right, yer right," he said with a shake of his head.  "Aye, an' the second name's almost the same.  Swap yer Os fer As.  Ye can write 'er out later."  He grinned broadly and his words took on a sort of slow and heavy thickness. 

"Now," he said, his hand against his chest, "ye'll spell mine."

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Zhavi - 07-10-2014

Zhi jerked her chin upwards at him, grinning like a fool. "Big lad like yerself? I think I can handle it, hey?" Grease pencil clenched in one fist, she brought her hands up and jabbed a few times in the space between them. "Oy, oy, lay't on me. What was it again? Chocobo?" She switched her grip on the pencil, pointed it towards his face as if it was a knife and she planned to stick him with it.

For that moment, for that breath of time, she was just Zhi.

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Goodfellow - 07-10-2014

Styrm's smile grew wider, toothier.  His shoulders pulled back and his chest swelled proudly.  His voice deepened and became more guttural, almost a growl, but with no malice.  He spoke only two words, but they were long and thick with consonants and intention.

"Styrmsthal Tyrbsyn."

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Zhavi - 07-10-2014

Aaaaand moment gone.

Zhi's face puckered up, the pencil slowly retracted and then lowered to the paper. She hadn't given up just yet, but there was certainly some bit of wariness about her. She mouthed the first syllable of his name a few times. Her lower lip protruded. Defeat loomed, but she would not cave in so easily! ". . .Z?"

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Goodfellow - 07-11-2014

Styrm didn't frown or deflate.  "Not quite, Jozzie.  'S like I said, us Roegadyns've got tough'uns," he repeated, his smile maintained but his voice more neutral, less gruff.  "Can' expec' t'get 'em right the firs' go 'round, nah."  And then, with a conspiratorial tone, "I'll give ye a hint: mine's got no Zs."

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Zhavi - 07-14-2014

Zhi was deflating. It wasn't overtly obvious, but should Styrm take a close look at her, it would be apparent. "I ain't got no notion o' what it starts with." Her voice was grudging.

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Goodfellow - 07-14-2014

If she didn't know, she didn't know.  He flipped the page and pointed to a letter.

"'Is'un 'ere?  She's S; looks like a back'ards Z, but sof'er.  She hisses: sssss.  'Styrmsthal' starts with 'er."

Language was strange, writing even moreso. It would do no good to question why there must be two letters for essentially the same sound, so Zhi studied the page rather than grouse about how stupid it was -- no matter how much she wanted to. S. Like Z, but backwards and softer. She muttered the letter to herself as she wrote it down carefully, and then added a T immediately after. Then she went back to muttering his name, and wrote down an E and then R, in rapid succession.

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Goodfellow - 07-14-2014

Styrm watched her write.  He nodded as she painstakingly traced the S, seemingly committing it to memory.  He nodded once more, and smiled, as she appended the T.  As she quickly continued to E and R he cleared his throat to halt her advance.

"'At third'un there, E, 's not quite right."  He turned more fully towards the girl and motioned for her to look at him.

"Watch me mouth, an' listen.  Really listen.  E goes like so: eeehh.  Or ee here an' there.  Me name, an' loads o' roegadyn words, use a longer sound."  The edges of his mouth stretched back into a squinty exaggeration of a smile.  "Eeeee," he droned.  "'At's 'ow Y sounds."  He flipped back to the last page of the alphabet.  "Right 'ere, Y," he said, tapping lightly on the second to last letter.

"Jus' before the Z."

Dutiful even until the bitter end (was it even close to the end?), Zhi crossed out the E and wrote in the Y, wondering why unnecessary letters kept showing up. Were there more? How did people keep them separate from each other?

M was next. She hesitated, then slowly drew a S, peeking up at Styrm to see, by his body language, if it was the right one. T, A, and L followed, the letters looking mutilated in Zhi's penmanship. She looked up, grinning.

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Goodfellow - 07-16-2014

Styrm nodded once as she shot a glance at him after each letter.

S.  Nod.  T.  Nod.  A...

"Eh, hold up a tick, Jozzie.  Ye missed a letter.  'Tween T an' A 'ere's an H.  Listen: Styrmsthhhal.  Hear it?  Hhh..."  With a smirk and a wink he added, "'S a heavy name, ye've gotta breathe in the middle."  He added more, and quickly, with a wave of his hand and a gentler smile on his lips, "All the rest's good, though."

His hand continued over to ruffle Joz's hair.

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Zhavi - 07-16-2014

The grin faded.

"Yer feckin' wi' me," she said, jerking her head back as his hand landed. Not enough to dislodge it, however. Her ears went sideways, and she glowered up at him from under it. "All yer doin' is breathin'. Hhh? There's a letter fer breathin' now, too?"

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Goodfellow - 07-18-2014

Styrm cocked his head in an exaggerated pantomime of Taru and stated, "'Ells, all th'letters are a sort o' breathin', ain't they?"

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Zhavi - 07-18-2014

Zhi muttered something impolite, waving her hand to dismiss her previous words. Grudgingly. "Fair, fair. We done wi' that name or are there more letters hidin' about its' tail?"

She caught the pantomime, and narrowed her eyes at him as if trying to decide what his purpose was.

RE: Innocence and Avarice [closed] - Goodfellow - 07-20-2014

"I got two, girlie," he grumbled good-naturedly in response.  He raised one finger.  "Styrmsthal," he said, "and Tyrbsyn."  He raised a second finger.