Hydaelyn Role-Players
Which City is Your Flavor? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Which City is Your Flavor? (/showthread.php?tid=6695)

Pages: 1 2 3

Which City is Your Flavor? - Candor - 03-19-2014

Time for another RP discussion.

I play on Balmung and lately I've noticed that the RP scene outside of Ul'dah is more or less circumstantial, mostly composed of characters while on errands throughout the world, and some few character too stubborn to be caught dead RPing in Ul'dah. Personally, I don't understand the favor for Ul'dah and I find Limsa Lominsa to be a far more RP friendly environment due to its greater number in taverns/bars/restaurants and neutral RP zones. I mean, let's face it, Ul'dah's RP spots are pretty limited by comparison to Limsa's vast number of little nooks and alcoves, random balconies and platforms and three taverns in addition to a restaurant. And that's not even counting the ships. So why Ul'dah? I have no idea.

Having explained my position, I'm curious which city fellow RPers favor and their reasons for doing so.

Lay it on me.

RE: Which City is Your Flavor? - Ildur - 03-19-2014

Ul'dah's Quicksand has a lot of space compared to the Drowning Wench: more NPC free tables, the bar is pretty long, and there's railings people like to lean to. Though, as you say, Limsa has the restaurant which has more tables than any tavern or inn anywhere.
Ul'dah also has a design more reminiscent to a real city. There's two wide and long avenues and a central plaza that connects everything else together. Moving through it is more intuitive than Limsa's walkways and ramps.
But it also has another advantage, the most importaant maybe: it's in the center of Eorzea, so everything 'is close', in a way.

With that said, I think Limsa's the prettiest city.

RE: Which City is Your Flavor? - Steel Wolf - 03-19-2014

I'm with ya.  As a Lominsan born and bred, it's a bit sad that the city isn't awash with RP'ing.  But, then I felt the exact same way with regards to the Norn home city in Guild Wars 2--the place was silly with great vistas and platforms and areas where there were kegs and tables just waiting for gatherings, let alone the shrines to the totem animals themselves.

Never happened.

Eh...who knows why.  But I love my beloved Veil of the Sea.

RE: Which City is Your Flavor? - Chocobald - 03-19-2014

U'ldah is my favorite city (Dat Sultana) but this is one of those MMOs where the cities are so awesome you just wish there was rpg 24/7 all around.

RE: Which City is Your Flavor? - Aysun - 03-19-2014

My character, luckily, has reason to be in Ul'dah regularly, as well as Limsa Lominsa. Limsa is my favorite, but I've come to accept that the hub is currently the Quicksand.

Best way to change that or branch out? RP in Limsa more! Big Grin

RE: Which City is Your Flavor? - TheLastCandle - 03-19-2014

Can't stand Ul'dah. I find it drab and boring. My favorite of the three is Limsa Lominsa, with Gridania coming in at a close second.

RE: Which City is Your Flavor? - Erik Mynhier - 03-19-2014

I feel the same about Dragonhead as well as the other places. I love my desert jewel, don't get me wrong. There is just so much more to rp then damn taverns. I feel we do this to ourselves, I've seen RP stagnate into pubRP in many games.

RE: Which City is Your Flavor? - FreelanceWizard - 03-20-2014

I love Limsa Lominsa. From the second I laid eyes on it (and heard Navigator's Glory) in 1.x, I was hooked. Smile In 2.0, it retains its awesomeness -- the view from the Bismarck over the harbor in the fog, the soaring towers and bridges, the multiple RP areas (Drowning Wench, Missing Member, several plazas, the Bismarck, the Astralicia), and the convenient Aetheryte locations. I think it's a great, yet underutilized, city for RP.

ICly, my character calls it her home because of its twin ideals of self-sufficiency and teamwork, and because she has a considerable interest in Arcanima.

RE: Which City is Your Flavor? - Edgar - 03-20-2014

Limsa Lominsa is my baby. It reminds me of the Kelari Ember Isle of RIFT: an oasis in the middle of the sea, with its own unique form of magic.

RE: Which City is Your Flavor? - cuideag - 03-20-2014

Jajara's company was stationed in Limsa Lominsa for the longest time so I used to RP there almost exclusively. Lately I've been seeing more of Ul'dah on both of my characters: Jajara because she actually lives and works from there, Delial because her work has kept her in the area though she tries to avoid the city as much as possible. Random RP out in Thanalan is great!

It suits me just fine because I LOVE Ul'dah the best of the cities. But it's always nice to get out and see other places too. :)

RE: Which City is Your Flavor? - Maril - 03-20-2014

My favorite is Ul'dah, but even more than that, the roleplay that I get myself nosed into is oftentimes something that comes quite natural to Ul'dah, such as trading, and I also think we have a tendency to think of it as one of the more shady cities, where crime is a bit more of a thing. So I find myself frequently ending up there because my character is a trader at heart, and I think it's the same with a lot of the people I RP with. Limsa, in comparison seems a bit more prone to be more fancy/posh in it's design (I know, its lead by pirates but it looks fancy!). I'd imagine eating at the Bismarck would be like eating at a michellin star restaurant.  Though if it was only for the amount of RP spots, I'd also favor limsa over the others. My least favorite is Gridania, I don't know exactly why but something just doesn't appeal to me in it.

RE: Which City is Your Flavor? - Clover - 03-20-2014

I'm a Gridanian girl. I think Gridania is not the prettiest city, but it's the one that feels like home to me. It just surrounds me with a warm feeling.

My main character is from there because it's the city I thought that would suit her simple, quiet kind of life best.

RE: Which City is Your Flavor? - Magellan - 03-20-2014

I love all 3 cities, and frequent whichever one the character I am currently playing calls 'home' (which at the moment is Ul'dah).

While I'll agree Limsa, and the La Noscea's have some of the games greatest RP spots, Limsa also makes me lag harder than any other place in the game.

I simply can't pick one though. Love all the beginning cities Smile

RE: Which City is Your Flavor? - Ignacius - 03-20-2014

Considering I'm on Gilgamesh, I'm happy to RP in whatever city there's RP in.  But if I had a preference....?

It's kind of a tough choice.  I kind of like Ul'dah, actually, but it feels too closed up.  Limsa Lominsa is awesome because I love the pirate vibe and the freedom thing.  At the very least, it's the best for Orleans Ignacius, Limsa is where he works.  I will say I think Ul'dah has a better residential housing area; it's much more awesome.

Honestly, though, if I had to personally live somewhere?  Probably Gridania.  Even on my previous computer's lower-end graphics, the place was absolutely gorgeous and I love the round-building architecture.  Even the towns in the Black Shroud are amazing.

Unfortunately, Gridania isn't a fit city to live in for any self-respecting low-life scum, so neither Orleans or my possible Balmung concept character would live there.  I also don't feel like playing some hippy, tree-hugging, life-loving man of the woods.  There's not enough Duke Nukem in that role.

RE: Which City is Your Flavor? - Kage - 03-20-2014

It's been obvious from my posts... but ICly and OOCly I've always loved Ul'dah. It's my starting point in the game and also Kage's home.

I find the politics between everyone very interesting though I and my character haven't delved into it very deeply. Quicksand's become a bit too crowded for me (Last night it was hard to filter tells, RP, linkshell chats etc. so much so that I missed out helping my RL friends because the I didn't see that they needed my help until I asked them later why they didn't ask me...) but it's still fun to just bask in and watch what's going on.

I've just wanted to get in on some non-bar/pub/tavern plots but I find it hard to get myself into them without planning things. It'd be nice to get around from Quicksand and take in the other spots of Ul'dah. The ossuary, parts of the steps of Thal areas, etc. ><