Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Character Ability Thread - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Character Ability Thread (/showthread.php?tid=5789)

The Character Ability Thread - Trigonxv - 12-13-2013

Hello all, this thread will serve as a hub for people to post an unique abilities their character has acquired and or developed so that when they rp and make use of such an ability it is not a shot out of the dark. Now if you want to keep your ability a secret that is perfectly fine this is more for people who may use it often and would be better if more people knew just so explanation of how it all works doesnt stall out an rp session. Now for me personally I believe one combat ability with at least one weakness of course and two passive abilities is a sweet spot that makes you still mortal and not all god moddy. And of course comments are welcome regarding anothers ability so that it can be fine tuned so that its viable in all situations. I shall be first to enter the fray. Feel free to use what i use as template or free form it however you want enjoy.

Character Name: Andras Goetia

Combat Ability: Aether Drain
Description: After various Rp's my character developed a device in which he uses an abnormal/strong crystal and has modified its properties so that it extracts aether from a living person rather than from the environment. Short term exposure to this ability causes a player to be temporarily fatigued but still able to fight just not as efficiently as they usually would. (Do note just because you get drained does not mean its an insta loss for you, those who are veterans in combat still have a moderate chance to turn the tables). However if the exposure is long term then the fatigue lasts for a few days as well as the characters aether flow being disrupted for a time

Weakness1: Essentially part of this ability is me imposing my will against your characters thus leading to a subconscious submission which results in the aether being drained, However those with an unwavering will can resist the drain quite efficiently, while the effect will still be there they will not suffer little to none of the effects, even the long time exposure.

Weakness2: This one is less likely to happen as my character is well versed in close quarters combat and combat in general but still viable. The crystal is attached to a gauntlet of sorts which of course is on my hand, when the effect is taking place and my hand or more so the crystal is struck the ability ceases and will take sometime to be used again. (Do note the crystal nor the gauntlet can be destroyed, at least not for some time ;D)

Passive Ability 1: My first passive ability is I guess what you can call a mutation of the echo. My character can in fact hear the planet speak in whispers, but of course like the echo it happens it completely random times. Attached with this ability as well is me being more attuned to the planet therefore i am more perceptive regarding aether flows and the such, but due to this attunement when the planet suffers a great deal of damage or pain my character also suffers the same.

Passive Ability 2: This is more of a class related ability I guess but i plan to get the monk class as well, therefore I will be able to use my inner aether to amplify my overall traits, speed strength etc. (Note this one i am still thinking about so expect it to change quite a bit).

Whew there we go and there you have it, feel free to post up here what your character is capable of and or comment with suggestions or what you think about the abilities here.

RE: The Character Ability Thread - Knight Kat - 12-13-2013

Character name: Kiht Jakkya

Combat ability: Javelin throw. ((She is a Lancer.))
IC Description: As a huntress, Kiht carries four javelins alongside her main harpoon (melee lance) that she can throw in order to wound animals (or people) she can't easily get close to. She could use these as a ranged attack in battle.

OOC Description: When a lancer completes a certain amount of Lancers Guild quests, you get the ability to throw lance at enemies. I can't think of what the power is called off the top of my head. However, I have never liked the weapon throw abilities in a game that make it so you can throw a great axe, great sword, or lance that just returns to you like Thor's Hammer. If my character ICly throws her lance, it should NOT just teleport back to her. Therefore, I ICly act as if Kiht is NOT throwing her lance, but instead throws javelins when she uses that ability.

Weakness 1: ((This is actually a lot of little weaknesses)). She only has four javelins. Carrying any more would impede her. Once she throws all four she must be able to move to where they impacted and recover them before she can throw them again; but only, if they are not broken or imbedded in a living creature or person. The javelins are much smaller and lighter than her lance. They will not penetrate heavy armor. They can be deflected or blocked by a shield. They can often break on impact with hard objects. A very fast and agile creature or person can possibly dodge them. Kiht cannot use them in melee. Kiht cannot gain the posture needed to throw them if in melee combat. Kiht cannot use her lance and javelins at the same time; she must hold her lance unready in one hand while throwing a javelin. Accuracy with the javelins is not as precise as it would be with a bow and arrow. If someone is skilled with javelin throwing they can throw her own javelins back at her Cry ((I think that about covers it)).

Weakness 2: Low aether. She was born with low aether; thus, she cannot become a magic user. She is weakened by high temperatures, and dislikes fire unless she is desperately cold or has raw meat to cook.

NOTE: Kiht has a few other weaknesses. They can be found on her wiki page.

Passive ability 1: I take full advantage of being an athletic Miqo'te Keeper! Superior vision in the dark and night. Sharp hearing, but not as good as Elzen hearing. Excellent and powerful sense of smell. Fast, agile and very well-balanced. Lots of stamina. Obviously good in the athletic department, but not very scholastic. She tends to neglect her critical thinking skills, and does not like to read much.

Passive ability 2: Hunter's instincts. Her trained sense of perception allows for her to sense when something is amiss. When her sharp senses synchronize she can get a clearer picture of her environment than most. Sometimes these complex senses and perceptions backfire. They will make her paranoid, and/or easily distracted. The strength of her instincts can often make her act without thinking, or she can loose focus and discipline.