Hydaelyn Role-Players
Dell can suck it (and burn) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Dell can suck it (and burn) (/showthread.php?tid=5649)

Dell can suck it (and burn) - N'taeyl - 11-29-2013

Not that this is probably news to anyone, but Dell KINDA REALLY SUCKS NOW!  But if it happens to be: take this into heavy consideration before buying ANYthing from Dell from now on.  I'm not asking for advice on what was wrong, I'm just sharing my experience and venting because I am pissed.  I know everyone tried to steer me away from Dell, but I figured it was simply because custom built is cheaper and probably a little better.

In a nutshell, I wanted a new computer for christmas last year.  I'm hopelessly computer illiterate so after much discussion I figured it'd be better to just get Alienware, what could possibly go wrong?  

First the power button started messing up about 2-3 weeks ago.  Then the fans are acting up.  We clean it out, not very dusty, start doing routine checks and updates before calling Dell.  See a recommended BIOS update through dell.com, so we do it.  Prompts to reboot....and it freezes.  Stops working, but the fans are going nuts at a frightening rate.  So force shut down, turn it back on...and it's gone.  Won't even boot up.  Call Dell, first thing they say "Never do a BIOS update without calling, your HD just crashed because of it."

....really.  Really?  Are you fucking kidding me.  Not a single warning "THIS MAY CRASH YOUR HARD DRIVE!  But it's highly recommended."

So it's busted.  Dell guy came out today, and after 6 hours we've determined: The CPU fan was failing for unknown reasons.  The parts they sent to replace what they suspected was broke, aren't even the right parts and THOSE parts don't even WORK.  This guy was as pissed off as I am, waste of both our days. 

I think after blowing 2 grand on this piece of shit I'll gladly sit down for a week and learn how to build my own damn computer.  So, if anyone would like to share reputable places to get parts I'd love you forever.  I'm not convinced my computer will be salvaged to its original state.

RE: Dell can suck it (and burn) - Gharen - 11-29-2013

I buy my parts from newegg. And I've always found them to be reliable, Had a stick of ram go bad once (came in a package of two) and while the return policy demanded I send back both sticks before I get my replacement they were kind enough to send out the replacement sticks before I sent the bad one and the remaining good stick back so that I could continue to use my machine.

Now, granted that is to say that I'm sure there are plenty of people that have gotten defective product from them.. that is unfortunately the nature of the beast I've just happened to have good experiences with them, in general

RE: Dell can suck it (and burn) - Eve Malusion - 11-29-2013

Sad to hear you're having this many troubles getting it fixed, miss you a bunch!
Unfortunately I can't really help with where to get parts from since I'm Norwegian so none of my places to buy from would be relevant to you.
Hope you get things sorted out and good luck with it, and once again really miss you.

I'm not really good at comforting.

RE: Dell can suck it (and burn) - Y'hmir - 11-29-2013

Uuurgh, that sounds terrible. I swore off Dell some years ago myself, one laptop from the was enough to convince me that never again.

I hope you find what you need though, but I'm in the same dilemma as Eve, being norwegian, so none of my recommended stores would be worth it.

Best of luck.

RE: Dell can suck it (and burn) - C'kayah Polaali - 11-29-2013

It's never a bad idea to learn how to deal with your own computer repairs and/or construction. There are a lot of good websites that deal with hardware reviews (Tom's Hardware - http://www.tomshardware.com/, for instance) which run articles about building computers, too, including really nice "build a gaming computer for $x" articles that include full parts lists with links to buy them.

An intermediate route I've gone before is to buy a computer from a budget manufacturer and address any shortcomings. Most budget manufacturers (CyberPower, for instance) use off-the-shelf parts, so you can look up what they use on a hardware review site and see if it's good or not. 

A good example is a $500 gaming computer I built recently for someone: I started with a $430 CyberPower PC with a good motherboard (which is probably the most important thing to spend on, since everything else literally plugs into it) and decent components. Reviews said the power supplies CyberPower uses was weak, and prone to zapping components, so I spent $60 on a very solid power supply and ended up with a really nice and reliable gaming computer without having to take the trouble to build out the entire thing.

But yeah, from what I've heard, AlienWare has completely gone downhill since they were acquired.

RE: Dell can suck it (and burn) - LeCard - 11-29-2013

New egg is good, also I use Tiger direct(as they have a physical store near me). But possibly more important for self builds than the store you get it from is the brand you buy. Just remember that to a certain degree with computer parts you get what you pay for in self builds (so if there are 6 brands and two cost 1/4 the price, I probably wouldn't recommend those unless it is a black Friday sale or something XD )

A couple tips I would have is to build around your motherboard/CPU as those are the two parts that will need to be specifically compatible. (the CPU pin # has to match what the MB supports or you just wasted between $150-$1000)
Ram is a little more easy to work with as most MBs will have the latest slots, but it's always good to check.

Video card: triple check you slot type before you buy. Your MB will likely have a couple free card slots(better MBs may have alot more) Pick the one that best suits your needs and then find the graphics card that uses that slot. (also, graphics card companies websites do a decent job of helping you decided which card is right for you.)

IMPORTANT!
Power supply: Plan your system out ahead of time and check how much power you will need. I personally recommend a 500-700wat power supply(ps) Unless you are planing to use alot of power heavy fans/cards you shouldn't need more than 700wats. (but again check just to be sure.)

aside from that, there will be a Motherboard size (Full ATX, ATX, mini ATX etc.) make sure your case supports your MB size, or you will have alot of fun trying to make it fit XD

if there is anything else I can help with let me know ^.^ I may be a little rusty, but I can usually figure most things out with a little quick refresher Google search.

RE: Dell can suck it (and burn) - Neiev - 11-29-2013

A first build can be unnerving, but it's a lot of fun to put everything together yourself, and to get to understand exactly what's in there and how it all works so you can (usually) fix it yourself if something stops working later on. And as a bonus you get to feel proud of yourself for actually building the thing.

When I made mine, I didn't have a clue what I was doing either, so I used this guide and found it pretty useful: Newegg TV's How to build a computer (part 2 & 3). When it comes to choosing the parts, MMO-Champion's Computer Setup of the Month (latest here) can give you a clue of what may be worth buying. (Also, relevant sales for Black Friday Weekend are here.)

I usually order from Newegg and never had any issue with them. I did hear good things about Tiger Direct, so that may be another place to look. If you're in the US, Amazon can be decent too. You may also prefer to look for local (physical) stores first if that's an option. And of course, you can always share your build plans and ask for opinions before ordering.

RE: Dell can suck it (and burn) - Tobias Nightbringer - 11-29-2013

Every time I feel when anyone asks about custom computers (AKA rigs) and/or seeks any sort of help when there are a bunch of fellow computer geek/nerds that are able and willing to assist.

[Image: At_Dawn_We_Ride.jpg]

With that being said, get ready for a PLETHORA of information--from everyone else! xD What I would say probably has already been said, so I don't want to do the proverbial stick to horse saying Tongue

I'll toss in my two bits while the others fight the good fight against shit computer companies that make shit products.

New Egg and Tiger Direct are great online places to shop for parts.

Fry's is an electronic store that actually has some decent deals and employees that tend to have more knowledge about custom rigs, but I believe it is only California based? Not sure on that part.

Finally, only time I believe it is 'acceptable' to buy a pre-made 'gaming' rig is if it is a laptop. Even then, one must tread cautiously when searching for a gaming laptop to make sure there are no known issues (IE. overheating). 

RE: Dell can suck it (and burn) - allgivenover - 11-29-2013

My only advice, don't listen to hardware fanboys. If you're building on a budget and the current best price/performance ratio for that budget is a product from AMD or Intel or Nvidia or whatever, then get what's best for your build and don't worry about some fool screaming "i7/Radeon/Nvidia only or forget about it."

RE: Dell can suck it (and burn) - Suisei'to - 11-29-2013

You're in luck. It's the black friday/cyber monday deal time on Newegg. A lot of parts are heavily discounted.

HOWEVER, there is still a general design philosophy when building a computer. You need to aim for a similar range of parts over the entire system or you bottle neck yourself. Luckily there's a guide for that:

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

This is a FANTASTIC guide to parts broken down by price range all through Newegg. It's the perfect way to build for your budget with the best parts possible in that price range.

RE: Dell can suck it (and burn) - Tobias Nightbringer - 11-29-2013

(11-29-2013, 09:35 PM)allgivenover Wrote: My only advice, don't listen to hardware fanboys. If you're building on a budget and the current best price/performance ratio for that budget is a product from AMD or Intel or Nvidia or whatever, then get what's best for your build and don't worry about some fool screaming "i7/Radeon/Nvidia only or forget about it."

I partly agree on that.

You do want quality products in the end. Like someone mentioned on an earlier post, brands do matter. Or at the VERY least, take heed to the majority reviews about a product on Newegg. 

Which brand, however, is more personal opinion. Like there is a debate of which processor is better, Intel or AMD? Or which graphics card, Radeon or nVidia? 

You do NOT, however, need the LATEST Intel or AMD processor, or the BEST nVidia or Radeon GPU money can buy; which I believe Allgivenover is alluding to. Such as, you don't NEED the Intel i7 because the i5 will work just fine. 

As for the graphics card, say you like nVidia, their GeForce GTX 780 is like their latest out there. There is NO need to go for that because a GeForce GTX 660 will easily do the job. Or whatever equivalent if you go with a different brand.

RE: Dell can suck it (and burn) - Val - 11-29-2013

I really and truly can't say anything that anyone else hasn't already O_o

I used to do tech support for Gateway (Yeah, I know). And we also had Dell and a bunch of other things in the center I worked at. I'm willing to help however I can =)

RE: Dell can suck it (and burn) - LiadansWhisper - 11-30-2013

Amazon is a really great place to purchase computer parts.  They are extremely reliable in terms of taking the item back and refunding you if anything goes wrong.

If you have someone experienced with computers (and specifically, with electronics/electrical work), it may behoove you to figure out exactly how much wattage your Power Supply actually has.  Dell has a habit of mis-labeling their power supplies - mostly by saying they're weaker than they actually are.  In my case, my friend (who does contract repair work for a cable company that handles the ISP for a small city) had me read off the amperage on the rails of my power supply (this is clearly shown on the label, but is basically greek for anyone who doesn't actually understand electricity! xD) and the conclusion was, "Well, that's certainly not a 350 watt power supply."

I ended up getting a better card (a Radeon HD 7770) without having to upgrade my Power Supply.

The next computer I get, though, I am building myself.

Edited to Add: Rules of thumb I now follow:

- Never buy a video card from Dell. They hugely overcharge.
- Never buy a monitor from Dell. They hugely overcharge.
- Never buy a Power Supply from Dell. They mislabel them, among other things.
- It's okay to buy HDDs from Dell, but make sure you get a server-quality one, as their "home use" HDs tend to fail (as I found out this year, much to my dismay).

RE: Dell can suck it (and burn) - Little Miss Kikimo - 12-03-2013

(11-29-2013, 07:01 PM)Saikoray Wrote: Not that this is probably news to anyone, but Dell KINDA REALLY SUCKS NOW!  But if it happens to be: take this into heavy consideration before buying ANYthing from Dell from now on.  I'm not asking for advice on what was wrong, I'm just sharing my experience and venting because I am pissed.  I know everyone tried to steer me away from Dell, but I figured it was simply because custom built is cheaper and probably a little better.

In a nutshell, I wanted a new computer for christmas last year.  I'm hopelessly computer illiterate so after much discussion I figured it'd be better to just get Alienware, what could possibly go wrong?  

First the power button started messing up about 2-3 weeks ago.  Then the fans are acting up.  We clean it out, not very dusty, start doing routine checks and updates before calling Dell.  See a recommended BIOS update through dell.com, so we do it.  Prompts to reboot....and it freezes.  Stops working, but the fans are going nuts at a frightening rate.  So force shut down, turn it back on...and it's gone.  Won't even boot up.  Call Dell, first thing they say "Never do a BIOS update without calling, your HD just crashed because of it."

....really.  Really?  Are you fucking kidding me.  Not a single warning "THIS MAY CRASH YOUR HARD DRIVE!  But it's highly recommended."

So it's busted.  Dell guy came out today, and after 6 hours we've determined: The CPU fan was failing for unknown reasons.  The parts they sent to replace what they suspected was broke, aren't even the right parts and THOSE parts don't even WORK.  This guy was as pissed off as I am, waste of both our days. 

I think after blowing 2 grand on this piece of shit I'll gladly sit down for a week and learn how to build my own damn computer.  So, if anyone would like to share reputable places to get parts I'd love you forever.  I'm not convinced my computer will be salvaged to its original state.

I didn't read the rest of this post, but I really can't believe that they told you that the BIOS update will crash the harddrive. If I had to guess, I would say it blew the motherboard, not the HDD.

Newegg has extremely reliable parts, great return policies and instructional videos on how to do everything. I built my first computer on my own, with no complications just by following instructions from Newegg videos.

RE: Dell can suck it (and burn) - Mooncalling - 12-04-2013

I'm just going to leave this link here for anyone who is thinking of building their own computer and is feeling overwhelmed.

I have used this list to build two different rigs on two different budgets and I have been happy with them each time.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Hope this is helpful!