Hydaelyn Role-Players
Menphina! Lend me your skillet!....? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Menphina! Lend me your skillet!....? (/showthread.php?tid=5627)

Menphina! Lend me your skillet!....? - Knight Kat - 11-27-2013

I was wondering... Lore says Keepers worship Menphina while Seekers worship Azeyma. Got it. Like it. But do traditional Miqo'te ONLY worship their one god? Or are those the gods they simply see as most important? Does my Keeper call to Menphina before a battle or can I call to Halone? It would make more sense to call to the latter, but if Menphina is my traditional Keeper's only god (Goddess) then the former will have to do.

Thanks in advance to anyone who clarifies this for me.

Edited to correct typo.

RE: Menphina! Lend me your skillet!....? - Michikyou - 11-27-2013

(11-27-2013, 06:38 AM)Knight Kat Wrote: I was wondering... Lore says Keepers worship Menphina while Seekers worship Azeyma. Got it. Like it. But do traditional Miqo'te ONLY worship their one god? Or are those the gods they simply see as most important? Does my Keeper call to Menphina before a battle or can I call a Halone? It would make more sense to call to the latter, but if Menphina is my traditional Keeper's only god (Goddess) then the former will have to do.

Thanks in advance to anyone who clarifies this for me.

I believe it is like in most polytheist societies. They worship the gods for other things. They may pray to other gods for a successful hunt or ask the twins to keep their elders safe - however Menphina is their patron god.

I guess its like the 'saints' in Christianity. They're all important but some religions value others over another.

RE: Menphina! Lend me your skillet!....? - Knight Kat - 11-27-2013

Thanks Naih'ir!...

Your GIF is driving me crazy! LOL. Why is he slapping the shark on the nose? Who would do that?! UGH! Just need to ignore it...

RE: Menphina! Lend me your skillet!....? - Dogberry - 11-27-2013

It's really up to your character, and how they feel about it, but she could call on several of the gods if she wanted. Menphina, Halone, maybe even Nymeia for luck if she were so enclined. The gods aren't really jealous like that, it seems.

Also, you can stun sharks by bopping them on the nose. Of course, only the brave and the skilled should even attempt such a thing.

RE: Menphina! Lend me your skillet!....? - Ildur - 11-27-2013

(11-27-2013, 07:46 AM)Naihir Wrote: I guess its like the 'saints' in Christianity. They're all important but some religions value others over another.

No, they are nothing like saints in Christianity. They are like gods in ancient Greece or Rome. Certain greek city-states had a patron god because they valued that god more, for whatever reason. In Rome, for example, Jupiter was the main the god for Roman mythology but, in practice, Mars was more important because he was the god of war (and the Romans liked their military victories very, very much).

Basically, the gods in those societies are diverse aspects of reality. In Eorzea, this is also the case. Ul'dah gives importance to Nald'thal because he's the god of commerce. Limsa to Llymaen because they are seafaring. Gridania to whatever the goddess of harvest was. Ishgard to Halone because she gave them a divine command to wage war to the dragons (and is the goddess of war). Each society/community gives more importance to one god above the others because he or she is the most prominent aspect of reality in their life. But that doesn't mean there is no worshipping to the others. It's just that most of their important rites, celebrations and customs will be tailored to favor that particular one.

RE: Menphina! Lend me your skillet!....? - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 11-27-2013

(11-27-2013, 03:01 PM)Ildur Wrote:
(11-27-2013, 07:46 AM)Naih Wrote: I guess its like the 'saints' in Christianity. They're all important but some religions value others over another.

No, they are nothing like saints in Christianity. They are like gods in ancient Greece or Rome. Certain greek city-states had a patron god because they valued that god more, for whatever reason. In Rome, for example, Jupiter was the main the god for Roman mythology but, in practice, Mars was more important because he was the god of war (and the Romans liked their military victories very, very much).

Basically, the gods in those societies are diverse aspects of reality. In Eorzea, this is also the case. Ul'dah gives importance to Nald'thal because he's the god of commerce. Limsa to Llymaen because they are seafaring. Gridania to whatever the goddess of harvest was. Ishgard to Halone because she gave them a divine command to wage war to the dragons (and is the goddess of war). Each society/community gives more importance to one god above the others because he or she is the most prominent aspect of reality in their life. But that doesn't mean there is no worshipping to the others. It's just that most of their important rites, celebrations and customs will be tailored to favor that particular one.

Ala Mhigo to Rhalgr. 

Well, saints in Catholicism... (I'm not sure they're worshipped in any other branch of Christianity, namely 'cus I'm Buddhist and was raised that way) can be compared to the worship of multiple gods in this sense to someone who understands that better than ancient polytheism. 

The answer stands that no, simply because you are a Keeper or a Seeker does not mean you -must- worship Menphina or Azeyma respectively. It only means that there's a very very high chance that your tribe, clan, or homogenized family as a unit focus on pleasing or praying to those particular deities. Your personal patron may or may not be different, but you would likely keep Menphina or Azeyma virtually on par with that deity depending on how close to your own culture you were raised. 

But no, I imagine there isn't a ton of "I spit on your Menphina!" going around as the entire pantheon is acknowledged by virtually everyone. Their patrons merely take precedence in their personal lives or their communities.

RE: Menphina! Lend me your skillet!....? - Knight Kat - 11-27-2013

Thank you. You all have really cleared this up for me. Even gave me some ideas Smile

RE: Menphina! Lend me your skillet!....? - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 11-27-2013

(11-27-2013, 06:41 PM)Knight Kat Wrote: Thank you. You all have really cleared this up for me. Even gave me some ideas Smile

<333 I'm excited to see them!

RE: Menphina! Lend me your skillet!....? - Michikyou - 11-27-2013

(11-27-2013, 03:01 PM)Ildur Wrote:
(11-27-2013, 07:46 AM)Naihir Wrote: I guess its like the 'saints' in Christianity. They're all important but some religions value others over another.

That's what I was trying to say, but at 4am, its hard to come up with a good example.