Hydaelyn Role-Players
Bulletin Board - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Bulletin Board (/showthread.php?tid=5431)

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Kage - 07-10-2014

((This is just a brief for all the Sultansworn, Flames in some sort of command, and Brass Blades.))

A report filed a few suns ago details that (1) Captain Anden Anduron (Brass Blade) was victim of an assassination attempt in the fifth living ward (Ward 5) of the Goblet.

Witnesses: Private Stank Balls (Mcbeef) (Brass Blade), Lieutenant Kage Kiryuu (Brass Blade)
Responder: Private Natalie Mcbeef (Brass Blade)

Culprit: Hooded hyuran male, used (2) knives, smoke bomb, and an alias cover as a journalist and letter courier. Escaped both attempts to injure/maim/would as well as arrest. Charged with attempted assassination and fleeing arrest by officers of the Brass Blades.

Status: Captain Anden Anduron - missing, last seen uninjured by the aethernet shard near the entrance of Ward 5.
Private Stank Balls (Mcbeef) - injured, Private Natalie Mcbeef performed trauma healing onsite after assassin fled the scene.
Lieutenant Kage Kiryuu - unharmed, was to be punished in-house for undisclosed sins. To proceed with orders from Captain Anduron to work with the Immortal Flames and missive from Commander Swift.
Private Natalie Mcbeef - unharmed, to continue patrol and Brass Blade duties as usual.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Melodia - 07-11-2014

The coat was worthless. It wasn't doing a damn thing to stop the cold not the snows from eating into his nerves. The cold wind made his knee ache and his limp was even more pronounced as he stolled through Camp Dragonhead.

Nonotano had spent days canvassing the local gossip whores throught the populated areas of the Central Coerthas Highlands and even some less than hospitable areas, and had heard of, nor see any sign of his dear brother.

And now the cold was beginning to annoy him. He hadn't heard of any trouble brewing in the Shroud either, so his little fun outside of Fallgourd Float had been lost on deaf ears, or that fool he'd left alive had either died off or failed to deliver the right message. He waved a hand in dismissal to no one in particular as he considered this, bringing curious glances at the Lalafell, all of which dismissed in his mind.

No, this search was dead in Coerthas and he was sick of the cold air.

It was time to move on to a warmer locale.

It was time head to La Noscea.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Whittledown - 07-11-2014

Hornet retired to her room at the Hourglass. She had left Jancis and Crofte with personal linkpearl connections to her. She would continue to help them in any way they needed, but as a friend purely. No longer a colleague.

"I accept your resignation."

Those had been Renauds words. A weak way to fire someone, Hornet thought. She had retained her Coral Sea issued linkpearl just long enough to learn the location of Crofte before she turned it over. Somehow she thought that being fired would upset her more. She'd been fired before though, and truth be joining the Coral Sea was a pipe dream at best. It was a risk they all took together.

It was never going to work out, really. The Sea's methods were to clean. Too proper and official. Hornet wanted to try and do some good their way but she couldn't help being who she is. That mean streak in her had been her undoing.

And Dhemgeim, stepping in front of Renaud like Hornet was going to attack him? That hurt, she'd admit. Hornet had a temper but she wasn't some raging animal. Hornet wasn't even really mad at Renaud. He was a prick, sure, but he had his decision and he stuck to it. And for him, it was the right one really. She couldn't even bring herself to be mad at Dhem. It's not like Dhem wasn't her boss as well. Of course she would tell Renaud everything Hornet had said to her. Confidence was for lovers. Not employers.

Hornet shed her armor and cleaned her face. Unemployed. She'd start looking for work in the morning, see what's out there. In the mean time she was free to act as she felt fit. Perhaps there was a group out there that was willing, truly willing, to do whatever it took to defend Eorzea. Rules and laws be damned. There would be a place for her.

Hornet knew she could never be the shining light of Eorzea. Leave that to people like Crofte or Warren. But she could be a knife in the dark. She could be the fear that keeps evil in check. She smiled at herself in the mirror.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-11-2014

The past week had had enough in it to drive any normal person insane. But he wasn't "normal", at least, not compared to the rest of Eorzea. Kage kept telling him the "importance of a name", but it really didn't mean anything to him. 

First, a name was simply a title given to refer to something. The same would apply to people.

Second, names could change. Why place so much importance on something that wasn't consistent?

Third, he didn't even know his given name, let alone his title or family name from Garlemald. If he didn't know that, then why bother with "personal" names at all?

He got by just fine having people call him "Merc", and that "name" had come to grow on him. Recently, he'd also taken on the "name" "Franz nil Renatus", making something more...Garlean out of recently events.

There was one name he feared, however. He couldn't even bare to . Even the name felt as cold and heartless as the person it referred to. He had asked her for a favor that night, and while she answered, it was at the cost of his freedom. Surely, she only assisted him because it would bring benefit to her. He expected to be contacted with a sun, given some type of task to make up for using her time. He could only imagine her reaction as she learned of where he was living. 

Looking around the room, he was glad he learned how to bring things through the aether. A furnished room was much nice. He'd barely made his way to the bed before he passed out on top of it.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Kage - 07-11-2014

Kage lay on the new bed, inside the new house. Home.

Everything was theirs. His and Natalie's. Theirs. All theirs and no one else's.

It made him so happy to hear that she liked it. Even more so when she told him that as long as they were together she was happy. But he knew Natalie deserved a good place to call hers. What better than a house next to a waterfall?

He would need to thank Kizuna so much for this.

But now Kage had something he needed to think on.

The assassin had told Kage his name, in an attempt to convince Kage to assist him in killing corrupt officers, swords, and officials. He could understand what Xydane was thinking but all of these men still worked within the confines (mostly) of the law. In fact, Kage would wager he did more illegal things than Jameson Taeros or the captain. He certainly had already.

Kage burrowed into the covers, holding onto one of the pillows wishing Natalie was back from patrol so he could talk to her.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - ArmachiA - 07-11-2014

Fire.

"Wow,"
"Hm?"
"Nothing, maybe I'm just in a good mood, but it's - it's kind of wonderfully you, that's all."
"Ah... well.. my herbs all sleep in the spare bedroom and my book shelfs are in my room so... I'm always close to a good story..."
"Stories and life. I like this home much better. Thanks for letting me in."

"You're going to teach me how to play cards...?"
"Mmhm."
"Right now?"
"Mmhmm."
"With a concussion...?"
"Mmhmm."

"Books about love. I never thought to turn to books for that, I wonder if I should've. Although I guess I'm not a prince or a knight."
"You're quite Knightly. I've relied on books for most of that... but... it's a little different from reality I'm finding."
"Hmn, well, if this were a book, what would we be doing right now? Does it involve fighting monsters? I don't think the kitchen is big enough."
"In the books... I think it would go... the dashing knight Sindl saved the lowly farm girl Armi from the evil Fillion and he protects her and they go away to a little cottage to hide but instead they...It would be a very interesting story, indeed."
"Hmn, well, I haven't got any little cottages... but there's a great view of Limsa Lominsa up at Summerford Farms I could take you to. I mean, if you feel like going anywhere today."

"You never.... you always show me... this is amazing. You are..."
"I wouldn't even try if it weren't for you. There's so many things I gave up on, until you came along."
"Really?"
"I didn't think I could come to care about anyone like this again, I thought - well, I was broken. But here I am."

"Well, what's the last thing Armi did that made you smile?"
"Made tea."
"I can make... all the tea in the whole world! It may take me awhile, now you have to stay for days."
"Also might kind of flood the place."
"Someone might drown?"
"An ocean of tea. How diabolical."
A thundering flood of tea sweeps out of the door and through the streets. In it wake, for a moment, Ul'dah is clean. And a little tea-stained."
"Might taste funny though. Better than salt water, I guess."

"The floor is lava."
"The floor is what?"
"X'havir told me a game, the floor is now Lava. You can't step on the floor."
"Fair enough."

"That should be good..."
"I meant what I said yesterday. I love you."
"M'sato..."
"I know, I know. Time. It's...It'd distract me if I didn't tell you."
"No it's... a lot of Miqote don't know what love is... it's a foreign concept to them... and... you really haven't known me all that long... and I'm not really anything special... I'm just wondering..."
"...If I even know what it means?"

"I'm okay, Armi, or as much as I ever get, and this is gonna end, right up until it happens again, and I'll live through that one, too."
"What if you don't?"
"If I think like that, it gets hard to keep going. Better to just be sure you'll live 'n then make it happen."
"I'm torn... I think it's good for you to keep trying and learn how to.... but not if it does this..."
"Armi, -this- is mild. I've hidden in cellars and caves and hollows for days longer, and I didn't wake up in a mattress with my biggest worry being whether or not I was going to finally say the wrong thing to you."
"Mild... That's what I was afraid of... Does this happen often?"
"It used to more common when I was younger, and around the...The battle you were in, it got to its worst. These days, it only happens around certain dates, weather patterns, or when...Big things happen."
"Are you okay...?"
"Sometimes it's only a headache, but...The normal ones can be three, four days, and then I'm scrambled for about a week after. It doesn't -matter- if I'm okay. It'll happen all the same, so I might as well make myself okay."

"I said I was -doing a favor for someone-, alright? He needed someone to help play waiter at his cafe, and I used to work for him back when I was full-time at the Arcanist's guild to make extra money. Only he went all -upscale- now and he made me wear a TIE and his damn cook sat me down and CUT MY HAIR."
"Ah... you look cute though..."
"Anyway, that's why the tie. He was pissed that I showed up a little bit banged up, but that was the job before, and at least it paid."
Mm... we should probably put a salve on those bruises... why are... you still in that if the job is done?
"...Because I'm going to have the thing cleaned before I give it back as an apology for showing up bruised. And I can't get the damn -tie- off."
"Hold still. A waiter, huh?"
"...Yeah. I used to do near everything there. Wait tables, cook food, mix drinks, the usual job you do that takes hard work and doesn't bring home a lot of money. Never had to wear a -tie- though."
"Hm... I can't imagine you... waiting tables... um.. doesn't that require...you know... not... being mean to customers?"
"Goooooooooooooooooooooood evening, and welcome to Meritt's Seafood! I'm M'sato, and I did this for so long that I can look friendly even if I'm wanting to punch a wall! No matter what I say like this, people seem to think I'm just funny and -quirky- rather than just a mean jerk."

"Best part of clay...you can make something, then make something else."
"I think that's true of people too.. you can always try to be whatever you want, remold and reshape yourself just like clay. But your always you, you never stop... being clay."
"That is...very smart."
"Ah... I'm not sure about that but... I think it's helpful to know.. that you can still be you... even if you shift a little."
"So if someone were this clay...smooth, no rough edges. But then something happened and they changed. The shape changes but they are still what they are underneath. And can maybe go back to something similar but not exactly the same."
"Exactly. I think... that meeting you all and the things that have happened after... they have changed me and redefined what 'me' is. But... I'm still me. I'm still Armi, just... a different kind of Armi. I used to be afraid that people wouldn't like me if I changed, that... if I became something else everyone would leave me behind... but... I'm changing and moving and.. you know, I still have most people... they didn't leave me..."
"Maybe I can find X'havir again someday. Smooth out the rocky points that hide him."
"Whoever you think X'havir is, you can find him again,, or you can become something new but... still the same. A better person, grow and change and... You know, not that there was anything wrong with the old X'havir. He was very charming."
"Was he?"

"I love you."

Ashes.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Fates Skein - 07-11-2014

Mahvashi sat on the edge of her bed in the Quicksand, thinking hard as she brushed her long, long hair.  It took time to do the job properly and it always gave her a chance to think, to sort things out.  With the smell of her shampoo dulling her senses to the scents that lingered in the inn room (shades of lodgers past, meals eaten, baths taken or needed, heated armor...) she was able to actually focus.

The Coral Sea.

It was a good place.  Good people.  She hadn't really gotten a sense of most of them yet and had the feeling that they would say the same for her.  Starting off in a company after working in Ul'dah for so long was strange, a bit discomfiting to be a face in a line-up when she'd been a star.  Truth be told, she found herself lonely.  When she met up with her company-mates, they all seemed to have stories with one another, histories, inside-jokes that she was clever enough to recognize but not privy to.  Her talents weren't aiding her much- not yet, anyway.  She just had to catch the tail of the dragon and she was sure she could tame it, eventually.  It was like infiltration work- find the weak link and work your way in.  The trouble was, they all seemed to draw strength from each other...

With a bit of shock, she realized that she was the weak link.  It made her pause in her brushing for just a moment before she shook her head and resumed.  Well, she'd joined looking for a challenge.  It really shouldn't surprise her, she supposed, if the challenge that found her wasn't what she'd expected.

A thought curled into her head and she smiled.  Challenges.  The Grindstone.  Shido.  Quick and clever, though he'd blushed so easily at her flirting.  She hoped she'd see him again, fight him again.  He wouldn't catch her flat-footed, this time.

Honestly, the Grindstone had been the best thing to happen to her in a long time.  Better than training with the Ishgardians, whose rigid structures made her chafe.  No, the 'Stone was all flow and reaction, a place where she could use all her talents and skills in a way that felt dynamic, a way that felt good.  Of course, fighting with unblunted blades had left her with a new appreciation for what her enemies must feel, not to mention some bruised ribs and a healthy wariness for 'unarmed' fighters.  Still, it was fun, more fun than she'd expected, and a damn fine place to sight-see.  Thank the gods for the heat of Thanalan.

The miqo'te continued to brush her calf-length hair, musing away the time with idle fancies.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Parvacake - 07-11-2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-i8PJ1pVpw

((Rather fitting theme for a rather bittersweet piece. Written in IC first person. Summary: Lili visits her late husband's headstone.))

You were buried by the sea.

Looking out over the cliff face with the roaring waves and sea foam gathered at the base of the small drop, it felt like a fitting location for your resting place. Here, you could see the sunrise and sunset come and go on the same stretch of horizon. How the sky blushed maiden pink in the morning and grew a sleepy violet in the evening.

Even now, sitting besides your headstone, it brings a smile to my lips. The moment would be perfect, if only you were here besides me.

But...

"You're not." I said the words aloud, the sound being drowned out by the roaring tides but I knew you would hear me all the same. "Days like today have made me miss you. My heart. My Ghislan." I drifted my fingertips over the corner of the white stone. It was a beautiful headstone. His father carved it for us just before he passed, and it was one of the stonemason's finest works yet.

"As much as I miss you, and the children miss you, know that you are in our hearts. Especially in mine. Every time our son looks at us, I see you in his eyes. He's engaged, you know. To an Elezen. A -male- Elezen." I let that hang in the air. A spurt of wind blew my hair all over my face, making me laugh. "Hush. You don't have a say."

I let the silence linger.

"...I found someone."

Another little gust of wind, this time softer and more hesitant, blew over me.

"Well, two someones."

I didn't get a reaction for that one. Not that I blamed him. I could practically feel the incredulous torrent pouring off him. "It's complicated, dear, but...know that I'm happy. And they're good men. They treat Ado right, and that's one of the things that matters. It's not conventional by any stretch, but alas...I haven't been this happy in a while."

My eyes fluttered closed. Nothing but the cool sea air and the cold white stone beneath my fingertips. It gave me some time to my thoughts, letting the door to my inner thoughts slowly slide open.

"I have friends too. More then I've had in a while. I feel more comfortable letting others in then I once did. Especially since leaving the Vanguard. Yet...and yet..." There it came again. Every trip, without fail, that tightness in my chest began to swell and grow. Larger and larger, until I felt it may consume me. Drown me into nothingness.

"It sometimes feels empty. Because you're not here."

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Jancis - 07-12-2014

Jancis sat up again in the inn at Drybone.

It was difficult to sleep. The first night she didn't. It was a lot to take in and she was overwhelmed by the complication of it. Her dear friend was right there, yet she was helpless to solve the dilemma.
The situation was beyond her ability to handle; what little Jancis learned of Lady Crofte's work made her feel all the more guilty for not assisting with. The conjurer greedily took up every chance she ran into to help, even in the smallest of tasks, to take whatever burden she could off the knight's shoulders. Too bad she couldn't take the burden off Cici's neck.

There was hope. The knight, the medic (who decided it was okay to damage his own hand), and the other soldier had good news when they arrived. At least potential good news. The first day without word was tough to take and it was difficult to not wait endlessly. Jancis had a tough task of trying to find distractions.

Luckily, they managed to get Sir Castille, somehow, which made a huge difference in Cici's demeanor. While Jancis had innocently tried to avoid being too nice, she realized that the two knights gave each other hope. The two peers unwittingly challenged one another to the point that they inspired themselves to not disappoint the other. It was heartwarming.

Jancis took a deep breath. She had to sleep. Picking up one of the papers she started writing. Putting her thoughts and feelings onto paper at least gave her an outlet. As she wrote, she began to doze off. The words blurred together...

.. and then on a half written letter she fell asleep.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Knight Kat - 07-13-2014

((During the Enemy At The Gate event.))

A Forlorn Jakkya

Kiht Jakkya woke that afternoon to find that Miah was gone. She knew about the battle that was supposed to happen, but she was Gods knows where. It did not matter, she preferred that Miah was not there. She had told Miah that she would not act rashly. It was one of the rare times when Kiht lied.

She adorned her armor and leathers. She wrapped her bandana tight around her head. She slowly applied her war paint; the dark green of the Black Shroud. It was a reminder of what she was ultimately fighting for. She made her way to the Coffer and Coffin.

At the tavern, she did not recognize any faces. Sure, she knew the man in the black armor was Osric. She saw the Hyur woman with the white hair named Kanaria. However, these were not the people she knew. After Kiht heard his words, she came to believe that Osric was a broken man. It filled her with sadness, but she had one final job. Unlike him, she would not bow to the Garleans just because they placed a collar on her neck. Explosive or not, she was going to do what she had originally planned to do, or she would die trying.

When the groups began forming, she asked to join Osric's group. Her request was innocent, but her intentions were not. She had been acting like a grim statue the entire time; ignoring and blocking out most of the things being said and done. She had one mission now.

She followed the group to Ul'dah, and watched absently as they set off the bomb near the wall. Even the massive explosion did not shake her grim resolve. When she lined up at the gate with the terrorists and traitors, her gaze drifted to Osric. Her hand slowly moved to the hunting knife on her belt. Before this group of forlorn individuals could hurt a single defender of Ul'dah, she and Osric would go to Hells together. She was relatively sure a hunting knife to the collar would set it off; Set them both off.

However, something gave her pause. Something shook her from her grim trance. Out from the gate of Ul'dah was an expected sight; Erik Mynhier. Adorned in his Sultansworn armor, Kiht knew the brave man would be the first one out the gate. However, the small figure standing next to him was not who she expected..... Khloe Jakkya.

Kiht's clumsy Thaumaturge cousin who had earned the nick-name "Mouse" during their childhood, was standing there beside a Sultansworn! Kiht's eyes went wide in shock and awe as tears welled in them. The Morbolvine Clan had found Kahn'a in time. They were there, and ready to help defend Ul'dah. When more defenders emerged from the gate, Kiht's breath was taken away. Sultansworn, Immortal Flames, Mercenaries and the Morbolvine Clan. They outnumbered the attackers. They were an impenetrable wall of saviors.

Kiht had to struggle to keep her tears at bay. Hope was returning to her heart. There was no need for her to sabotage the terrorists now. Even if Kiht decided to fight, there would be little difference she could make. When the Garlean side charged, Kiht darted right for her cousin.

Khloe bore an expression of utter confusion. Kiht swung her lance over Khloe's head; yelling "duck!" before doing so. As expected, her cousin hit the dirt. Even if she hadn't, Kiht would have intentionally missed. "I am tired cousin. -Tired-." Kiht said to Khloe as she smirked. Khloe climbed to her feet, and smirked at Kiht in return. She cast a sleep spell at Kiht, and Kiht grinned widely as she did nothing to avoid the spell. "I love you." Kiht said to Khloe before she collapsed onto the ground, and fell into a deep sleep.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Melodia - 07-14-2014

The letter was written with such a fine penmanship, care taken to make sure it was legible, to make sure that she savored every word  when she read it. He almost wanted to head back to Ul'dah and say it in person, just to see the look of utter failure cross her face. But he didn't want to lose track of his brother, nor his...lover? The idea seemed ridiculous. Nevertheless he just wanted to make sure she knew. Nonotano sealed the envelope and smiled at it as he sent it. With that he walked back to the Drowning Wench for another drink, the grin still plastered upon his face.

The letter read:

To the Lovely Sergeant Crofte,
I found him.
And the Limsa air has done me well, Sergeant.

Your ever adoring fan,
Krell

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Stormwind - 07-14-2014

Alexander sat at his desk and basked in the light of his own achievement. It was the rare occasion that he stopped to recognize his talents but as he looked over the planned upgrades to Captain Dogberry's new legs, he couldn't help but revel in his own genius. Between Rhianna's surgical prowess and his magitek and aetheric knowledge, Captain Dogberry would not only walk again but might even be better then before.

Lifting the plans back up, his mind began to already race with possibilities for this kind of technology. This technology, combined with his other project, could revolutionize warfare in favor of the city-states and push back the beastmen. Everything was starting to fall into place, which means he would have to finish the other project soon, or at least get it our of concept phase. He would need that allagan tech soon if he was going to capitalize on everything that was going to follow.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Berrod Armstrong - 07-14-2014

"I am a Monk of Ala Mhigan blood, taught by a survivor of the Fists of Rhalgr. As his sun set, so did he bid my sun rise to claim dominion over my sky."

"Through the first, the earth is my wall."

"Through the second, my needs are my fuel."

"Through the third, my will is lightning."

"Through the fourth, my heart is my fire."

"Through the fifth, my words are the swift winds."

"Through the sixth, I see all paths."

"Through the seventh, I shall ascend."

Muddled memories of the words assaulted Berrod in the vale between sleep and waking, just as the golden morning light spilled in through the window. He hissed in a deep breath, finally casting off the muddled veil of sleepy confusion. Those words...he heard them spoken in his voice, and sounded far too...wise...for something of his own immediate imagination. Were they another memory? As best as he could, he tried to commit them, line by line.

"Through the fourth, my heart is my fire."

"Through the fifth..." What was it? Something about speaking. As grogginess shed from him, so did the words fade from his mind like a parting morning mist. There was no consoling him for his frustration.

"Bugger it all..."

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-14-2014

Natalie boarded the airship dock back to Ul'dah, still wondering if she'd done the right thing. In the past she had no such issues, she had her oath, her orders, and enemies who would stand to fight her. All those were gone now, and she was left to her own actions.

She had gone to met Osric in Limsa, Jin'li had given her the location. There was panic in Ul'dah, no one was sure how to treat the poisoning, and the catacombs were rapidly being filled with the failed attempts. Everyone thought that Osric had corrupted himself completely, that instead of a slave, he was a willing servant. She wasn't so sure, perhaps she mused, because of her own situation. Either way Osric knew more about the poison than anyone in the city, he'd have access to the one who made it... and hopefully one who can cure it.

He had been blithe at first, throwing his normal scarcastic insults, until he flipped the paper she had given him, and saw the death estimated in the city. His face whitened, and that white haired woman of his slid across a note, "We need samples."

She knew he was being monitored, by those damnable collars that seemed to adorn everyone's neck but hers. She cursed him for his traitorousness, that he would let it get this far. Better to die than to do what he has done. She had thrown her cloak at him in disgust, her cloak full of carefully wrapped vials, each containing samples of those affected. The next time I see you, I'm going to kill you, meet me in Drybone if you want to finish this."

She still wasn't sure if Osric deserved a second chance, or even if he would make good use of it. Suddenly Natalie laughed, "It's only fair." She said to no one in particular, "I could use some second chances myself." She slots a linkpearl, "Kage... we need to talk."

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Jael'li - 07-14-2014

Jael'li stood in the middle of an empty room; his place to think and train, though it was mostly the latter. He specifically request the room of the house not to be touched, fearing someone may attempt to find a use for it what with the constant redecorating the house got.

The sand bag suspended at waist high claimed his attention. He checked the rope one last time to make sure it was secure, dipping his head back to stare at the bolt in the ceiling, watching how it never budged as he applied a full weighted tug.

Good.

The martial artist set his shoulders, then twisted in the opposite direction. His elbow snapped around and hit the bag. Sand puffed with the stinging blow.
   "Very good." He whispered. He would've grinned at his minor accomplishment had his mind not been abuzz with concerning thoughts. But he was here to rid himself of just that.

Jael'li jabbed the bag with his left fist, rotating his arm so the top of the clenched hand was horizontal to his target as it struck. As his fist snapped back to guard his face, he leaned back, bringing his right hip over. His leg followed, smashing into the bag like an iron ball on a swinging flail.

The Miqo'te assaulted the defenseless bag with a flurry of kicks, punches, flying elbows, and knees. Though the kicks seemed lazy and the punches seemed casual, the bag popped with each strike.

The simplest forms were the most illusive, requiring the greatest subtlety and muscle coordination to achieve surprising power; it was a truism he always strove to keep in mind.

Sweat ran across the stylized markings inked across the dark skin of his chest and back, but the drops sizzled and steamed away as he went on. He relaxed into his forms, his body moving even smoother, more circular movements. His mind followed, dissolving into the exertion. His focus was nearly complete, but a sliver of anxiety still persisted.

He couldn't get the images of their latest events out of his head. For the hundredth time his mind floated back to the time where his body betrayed him, allowing his emotions to take control and grant the creature sustenance.

His focus wavered. 

Snapping out with two straights and following through with a string of roundhouses, alternating between head and chest high, he never slowed.

The Miqo'te used his expert dexterity to make for precise hits, swiveling around the swinging back and striking out with a knuckle nukite, imagining the protruding joint of his forefinger striking between the ribs of his foe.

'Rest assured, I will never let you die...'

Those words he remembered clearly. Every thing that poured from the creature's mouth froze his joints and that overwhelming fear gripped at his spine, causing him to seize up. 

All his work had been for nothing.

Frustration and anger claimed him. He lashed at the sand-filled sack with a kick so vicious the hemp tether snapped. The sand-filled sack slammed into the wall, spilling its contents across the floor. His hands bit at the insides of his palms and he snapped his head this way and that, stricken with the urge to break something vital. 

A sudden knock on the door made him jump. The sound of tiny knuckles rapping across the wooden surface was a clear indication of who it was, and suddenly both anger and frustration had bled away. 

"I'll be out in a moment," he called out after clearing his throat, his voice still sounding strained. Yellow eyes glanced at the fallen sandbag, as if staring down at his fallen foe. He sniffed loudly and departed, leaving those thoughts behind.