Hydaelyn Role-Players
Bulletin Board - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Bulletin Board (/showthread.php?tid=5431)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Coatleque - 07-18-2014

The cloaked figure stood silently at the door of the Quicksand. Other adventurers pushed past her to the side without a single word or even a glance. She hesitated, unsure whether to enter or not. To her left, S'honji stood having a rather annoying conversation with someone. For a brief moment she wished everyone would just disappear so she could stay unnoticed. Then she saw her target across the room standing in his usual place.

Coatleque breathed a sigh of relief to herself. He was there. Alive. Seemingly unphased. She had watched him take a bullet not two days prior in a scene that conjured up images of her own past once again. But there he was engaged in conversation with someone. This would not be the place to approach him. Not like this. So she waited. Withdrew and sat on a bench for a good hour or so, with cloak and cowl drawn tight for concealment.

Finally he left. And she trailed him from a distance. Ducking and weaving through the city crowd. Pretending to shop at various stalls when he stopped. Hiding behind corners when available. She followed him to the Goblet. He stopped at the Brimming Heart and looked off towards the distance. This would have to be it, she decided. Now or never.

Cautiously she approached him from behind. Reaching out slowly she touched his shoulder just as he turned to face her. Their eyes locked. His expression was one of complete shock at seeing her present. Quickly her other hand raised to her mouth in an expression of silence. He nodded in compliance. After a few more quiet and awkward moments, she leaned in and wrapped her arms around his, pressing against him.

Unsure of what to do he returned her embrace, leaning his head to rest against her hood. All she could do was sigh contentedly. But no, she had a purpose, a reason for this meeting. Duty must come first. She pulled herself away from him, slowly, letting her hands slide down his arm. Reaching his hand she deposited something in it. A note. An urgent message. She regarded him with a worried expression.

He took the note and read it quickly, then roughly crumpled it and pocketed it away with a growl. Their eyes met one last time as she turned to leave, pulling her cowl low as she disappeared into the darkness of the night.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Oscare - 07-18-2014

"You murdered her in cold blood," The feminine voices whispers. Sharpened black nails trickle Oscare's dark toned shoulders, the sleeves of her fur coat brushing along the shoulders as well.

"What do you want, Avera?" Oscare grunts out, trying so hard not to kick her ass right about now. But he knew his consequences if he did. 

He remains quiet as the woman continues to speak. "You know very well what I want, Oscare." Avera snickers, one of her nails moving ever so slightly up to the back of Oscare's ear. "You killed her upon my request, to get that certain object that belongs to me. I want it back."

"I've no idea what you're on about."

"I think you do." Avera's tone becomes more malicious with every passing word. Raising a hand and snapping her fingers once, the highlander woman falls silent. Within just a few seconds, another dark toned, masculine highlander man came to Avera's side. "-- Ah, yes, Escsire." Avera's tone suddenly becomes pleasing and satisfied.

Escsire's blue eyes fall upon Avera. "-- Yes, my lady?" Escsire grins, looking at Oscare, who was still facing away. "Do I get to face against my favorite man again?" Escsire followed up immediately, not allowing Avera to respond to his earlier question. To that, Avera smiles. 

"Mmmmn. Not to face him. No, not at all. I just need something from him." Avera snickers once more. Escsire doesn't even respond to that, walking over to Oscare and cuffing Oscare's wrist with a tight grip. Oscare nearly falls over if it weren't for Escsire's tug to get him back up. The swordsman leans in on Oscare, whispering lightly in his ears. 

Whatever it was said, it got Oscare panicky. Worried. "Okay, okay! I'll give it back... just, get Escsire off of me." Oscare sounds desperate. Succeeding in his task, Escsire back off from Oscare, who rolled out a satchel in Avera's general direction. Oscare falls backwards, holding his head. 

"Looks like the hunter isn't so fearless as he claims," Escsire taunts as Avera leaves with the satchel in her hands, very clearly pleased with the outcome of his confrontation. The room becomes completely dead silent when she does exit, leaving a helpless Oscare on the ground and a devious Escsire behind. "I'm sorry it had to be this way, but you know I do it out of love." Escsire teases, doubling over and laughing harder than any human should. "Ah, yeah right. I look foward to our next meeting." 

With that, Escsire leaves as well.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Val - 07-18-2014

"Women in general are usually fickle," the platinum blonde midlander spoke as she leaned back in her chair, "the promiscuous ones moreso than the rest."

"Pfft. Now yer just tellin' lies," Val replied as he eyed across the table to her. Faye looked absolutely dumbstruck by Val's response, as if someone were trying to inform her that grass wasn't actually green or that aether never existed in the first place.

"It's a universal truth," she replied incredulously.

"A'nope. Ya ain' fickle."

"I was fickle. Then I found what I wanted and had no more need to be." She wasn't about to willingly lose this argument, but then again she never was very willing. The problem was that neither was Val.

"Chocoshit. I was yer first."

"Precisely. I was too fickle to settle on anyone else."

Val looked absolutely baffled. ..Did she actually know what fickle meant? The third in their company, poor Worren, was left to just stare at the two as they 'debated' back and forth to one another.

"What?" Faye continued, "You heard me. It made perfect sense."

"Idunno 'bout all that perfect sense stuff. How many people ya been wi' before me, eh? I'm pretty sure ya bl---er. Yer just talkin' shit."

Faye's eyes went wide. Was he about to say what she thought he was? "Manners!" she reprimanded aloud, "What on earth are you talking about? I haven't been with anyone else, though this is hardly the time or place for such a conversation."

"What'm I talkin' 'bout? What're YOU talkin' 'bout!" the Seeker called back to her, "I know ya ain' been wi' no one else an' I ain' sayin' ya was! S'why ya ain' fickle an' I was!"

Faye's eyes alit with sudden understanding, "I'm not entirely certain you have an accurate idea of what 'fickle' means."

..What if he didn't? For a split second, absolute horror stretched across the man's features. Then, he sat up from his previously slouched position in the chair and leaned forward, narrowing his eyes in a challenging manner at the woman next to him, "..Oh yeah? Well maybe YOU don't know what fickle means!"

She couldn't believe what she was hearing. Faye stared back at Val for some time, long and hard, before leaning toward him and narrowing her own eyes in return, "Val... fickle means picky. Inconsistent. You change your mind a lot."

Val comically narrowed his eyes even further, now barely able to see her with his mismatched eyes through the small slits provided by his lids, "Nah. Fickle is one'f those weird Elezen words fer fuckin' alotta people an' y'didn't fuck no one but me so ya ain' fickle."

The lady responded in kind, leaning further with her eyes narrowing even more in a comical fashion, not unlike his own. "Val," she began, "When was the last time you've consulted a dictionary?"

He leaned the rest of the way, the tips of their noses touching so that he could simply state, "Th'fuck's a dictionary?"

Faye leaned back in her chair, arms smugly crossing over her chest as if the question itself confirmed her victory. Val mimicked the gesture. The fact that she had been the first to lean away from him thoroughly proved his victory, right? The two continued to sit and stare at each other in silence for some time, leaving the absolutely baffled Worren to continue to observe in silence. He would observe no more.

"Fuck this," he called out as he stood from their shared table, "If this is what marriage is like, I'm glad I'm single." He promptly left the two to their own devices, which mostly consisted of Faye sticking her tongue out at Val and he returning quips in the same childish manner he always had.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Coatleque - 07-19-2014

Coatleque had stayed with them for the night. The frightened mother and her daughter. Because of Jin'li, they were all now in the same situation. She had assured them as best she could that she would help them as soon as she as able. That her forced hospitality would be repaid in double to this madman.

Her sleep was fitful and uneasy that night. She had no dreams, but she could hear. The voices and cries of her friends, shield brothers and sisters. The clashing of steel against steel. She heard everything, but saw nothing, as if her body were hovering over the scene playing out below.

Waking early, she sat on the edge of the bed. She retrieved the pressed flower that had been lain on the nightstand the previous night. A tear rolled down her cheek as she felt its petals once more.

Her course was now clear. She would not serve two masters, and her life was already pledged to one of them. The madness must end... tonight. Yes, tonight... her oath would be fulfilled.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Oscare - 07-19-2014

The silent, hot winds of Thanalan blow.
"
♫The heroes march towards♫
Life continues forwards,
Is there no hope for us?
Let Nophica bless the grounds we stand on,
Or have Halone rain her rage upon.
Everyday a choice is made,
tonight, we decide our fate.
May the Twelve alleviate the lost souls of the heroes,
and banish the souls of the evil into the seventh hell."

Oscare sighs, feeling his song lost it's meaning on the empty skies. Nevertheless, he marches back to Ul'dah.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - cuideag - 07-19-2014

(( This is crazy overdue. The conclusion to Askier and Roen's kidnapping, from Delial's perspective. With much love and apology to Itarliht's player in particular. ))

The memory would come to her at times, unbidden, redundant: a voice like silk in her ears and just as rich. Her mother's hands slid over hers, soft and cool as snakeskin. "Quick and fluid, duckling." Slender fingers would wrap around hers, still small and clumsy, and together they would hold the simple blade. Delial could hear her smile without seeing her face. "One motion. Clean, else we waste. We cannot have that, my sweet. We simply cannot have that."

Itarliht knelt upon the deck yet still he was gargantuan, nearly coming up to her chest even when he was on his knees. He was encased in armor just as he was the last time they had come to Crescent Cove. They called him Crimson Mountain and the heavy plate glistened like blood freshly cut from the vein. They called him a monster yet there was peace in his deep green eyes.

"What did you do to her?"

"I turned her into a dog."

She knew the moment that Gharen handed the knife off to her that she would have to use it. Wolfsong, for all the errors he had made in his life, was no fool. His sister knelt at the end of the pier in nearly nothing at all, shorn and trembling. Her arms were twisted behind her back and she stared hard and bitter. "He is a monster," she said. Her voice was hoarse.

Quick and fluid. Itarliht's lips moved. He did not look away from her, the woman who stared not at him but at the memory that came unbidden. Garren Blackstone was not kneeling when he died but he looked at her much the same: resignation. Acceptance. He knew his daughter was beyond his reach and when her small hands dragged the blade across his throat she did not look away. Only when he stopped moving did she press her fingers against his throat and marked her face just as mother had shown her. Just as the witch had shown them both.

The knife was warm in her hand. Itarliht was speaking. "I wanted to protect you," he said. "But all I did was hurt you." His voice was much calmer than before when the pier was still crowded by those who wanted his head. She could not tell if he regretted. His face betrayed nothing, and the rumble of his voice only made her ache in ways she had forgotten she could. "If you want my life, it's yours."

"Stupid. Lunatic."  The fire of her rage, the legacy of her bloodline and the name she did not wear, thrummed loud in her ears. Even as every scrap of evidence along the trail Osric had led her had pointed at Itarliht, she had refused quite blatantly to see it. Itarliht knelt before her penitent, waiting, unafraid of the fury which stood before him. He had seen the knife and Delial wondered briefly he if knew as well. "I should kill you, if you truly wish to die. My life is not worth that of any man - not ... not yours. Not even yours."

"I don't want to die," Itarliht said evenly. Her knuckles ached. "But I'd rather die than have you hate me."

Westor did not beg either and he fought with every last breath, foolish in his conviction that betrayal was worth his life. She shook her head as if to shake the memory away, ignoring the foul taste that was rising in her throat. His eyes had been clear though he moved as if with the grace of Rhalgr himself up until the knife sunk into his gut. Even then he stared, hawk-like. He made no sound even as he died and for the first time Delial Blackstone thought to wonder if she had been wrong.

Hatred and disdain had made the air heavy. As the suns since Roen's disappearance stretched on and the blame piled up, she had adamantly denied that her knight could be responsible. He swore his loyalty and his sword to her, a woman whose crimes he never knew though it stained her plain as day, and he believed in what she could be more so than what she was. The first time she called him her White Knight she had thought it a joke, but he had smiled as though it were the kindest thing anyone had ever said to him in all his life.

"I love you." She said it as if the very words offended her, made her skin crawl.  Inside her gut she ached and in the moments she took stepping closer to him, bending down to rest her brow against his, her body felt like fire. His eyes did not stray from hers and even when she shut hers away she could feel him watching her with all the calm of a quiet sea. "But this...."

"I know. I'm sorry. Just... make it quick, okay? And... I love you, too." His forehead pressed back against hers and clunky, armored arms reached up to embrace her in blood-colored steel.

She kissed him once upon his brow, and once upon his lips: a chaste, brief affair, hasty and... lost, somehow, as if resigned. Delial's nose touched to his and she murmured, quietly, "I cannot forgive. I cannot regret." 

He returned the quick kiss, nuzzling her nose as though nothing were amiss. Even as the hand that held the knife white-knuckled rose to press against his throat he did not quake nor quiver. There was a pressure around her hand and she realized then that his strong, armored fingers had wrapped around hers. It would have been no challenge to stop her had he desired. He held her hand and he waited.

"Live a better life than I did, my love."

Quick and fluid. Her hand jerked through the practiced slash of a woman raised spilling blood and she could not tell then who it was that gave the hard, choked gasp she heard, just as she could not tell if the way his hand twisted with hers inside was a reaction to the pain or if he had done so intentionally, ruining flesh and artery alike. Itarliht's heavy, armored form twitched and he began to slump against her as blood rushed free from his body.

She did not let go of the blade. She did not fight him. There were a many things Delial did not do. She steeled herself, bracing herself with the fury that came with betrayal, steeled herself with the knowledge of history repeating. Her jaw tightened as she braced herself against him, painfully aware of hot blood spurting from the ugly tear in his throat. She made not a sound as she held him up as best she could manage, until he was indeed still and silent. She did not say a word.

Tracing fingers through the waning tide of red, she marked her face just as mother and witch had shown her, just as she had every time. His eyes were still open when at last she opened hers, blind and glassy as they stared across the water. Her fingers pressed them closed and she wondered, briefly, if it was the peaceful gaze that bothered her more than his torn skin. 

Knowing not what else to do, she finally gave him to the sea.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Melkire - 07-20-2014

He was gasping for breath now, bleeding profusely from his left side. So close... so ruttin' close. A few dozen more fulms, and he would have been through. Would have gotten to her. Would have given her the salute and the loyalty she deserved, and taken his own life. 

But for this gods-damned man. 

Warren Castille followed him up the royal promenade, eyes locked squarely on his opponent. He swung for the fences, bringing the flat edge of the blade to bear in the direction of Melkire's head.

The man threw his patas up in a desperate attempt to catch the blade, or at the very least to parry... but the strength, momentum, and justice in Warren's swing proved true: the flat caught Osric over the head and sent him sprawling across the hall into the stone railing.

The darkness came for him, and he welcomed oblivion.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Warren Castille - 07-21-2014

He turned to the woman and pressed a finger to his lips, urging silence. He kept eye contact with her with an unwavering gaze and quietly removed his gauntlets, setting them aside on the ground and removing a small set of tools. He held spread them like cards in his hand and showed a small screwdriver, a set of tiny shears and a strange, wand-like device. He nodded once, then turned wordlessly to the Sultansworn huddled on the ground beside him.

He knelt, giving a small smile with kind eyes. He held up the small tubular device first, pressing it to the collar with a small click of a switch. He nodded to her, insistingly, then sought out her hand and pressed the instrument into it. He didn't say anything and she looked away, eyes pained before closing. He set his jaw and collected himself, then raised the screwdriver.

His time with Askier had been short but he'd gone over the movements in his mind over and over. Screws first. That removed the panel and gave him access to the more delicate parts. The wires awaited him, a tangle of nerves that each threatened to leave a crater the size of the hole in his heart. He brought the shears in, sorting connections before severing them. Each clip of the tool stopped his heart but he couldn't allow that to reflect outwardly. Her eyes were still squeezed shut, her face away.

He took a deep breath and placed his fingers on the hourglass-shaped fragment. This was the moment of truth. He pulled, fingertips working, and snapped something out of place. Everyone's breath held but nothing happened.

The rest of the process was a blur. Screws. Panels. Latches and hitches. The dull throbbing in his leg and the side of his face were distant memories, his entire body was disconnected from the task at hand and when he finally popped the last shred of security and knelt back on his heels, device in hand, he uttered out loud. "Gods."

She seemed to notice what happened at once and dropped the wand, scuttling and crawling away as tears and emotion overtook her. He couldn't watch. Others gathered around her, helped to soothe and comfort. Warren looked at the black collar in his hand, the detonator in the other and listened to the woman weep.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Kage - 07-21-2014

The raspy breathing changed as he jerked awake. He coughed as he slowly sat up, groaning in pain as his wounds were jarred. Both he and Natalie had collapsed of sorts onto their bed after some more tender care of his wounds.

He winced as he fingered the mostly clean but crusting wound. They might have forgot about the debris inside from the gunblade shots but at least the wounds had essentially cauterized. Kage let out a shaky exhale as he smiled down fondly at Natalie. She had collapsed while tending to his own wounds. Jin'li's assassin must have kicked her pretty hard but her breathing seemed stable. For good measure though Kage had tried to tend to her tender head but he too had collapsed.

But now he was in for more pain. Kage moved slowly, finding some sterile tweezers and some clean cloth. He situated himself in front of a mirror, eyeing the two holes in his chest before taking in a deep breath. Small whimpers of pain escaped as he took one... then the other pieces of debris out of his chest. A soft, practically inaudible gurgle escaped his lips at the pain as beads of sweat started to gather on his head. He brought a shaking hand to his chest once more. Conjury at least, did not require him to use aether like thaumaturgy once did. It wouldn't cause the same backlash he'd experienced since his transformation. The soft glowy hue spread from his hand over the wounds on his chest. As his arm fell limp at his side with a relieved sigh, his bare chest showed pink, tender and sore skin. He slumped in his chair, thinking of what had laid him in the state he had been in.

They might have caught Jin'li if they had figured out a way to disable the Black mage. Damned white haired Garlean Miqo'te. Damned mage. Now Kage knew why Gharen kept hating on him when he was still able to practice thaumaturgy. Really. He had been able to successfully sneak around and come up behind Jin'li through the Gate but he had quickly taken both of Jin'li's gunblade shots as well as one of the two fireballs the black mage had shot at him. He'd passed out and during the time the mage had teleported away with Jin'li when both had been nearly incapacitated. Merc had been able to follow and Natalie was left to see him. But both Kage and Natalie knew what was best done. Kage had urged her to leave him to chase after them as Merc had called to them over their pearl.

... and then Towering Falcon appeared.

By the Twelve, Kage wondered what he might owe her for her using her hands to help stop the bleeding of his chest as she kept him company before he had his chocobo drag him home.

What did he -owe-?

But at least... at least one of Jin'li's assassins was in custody. At least there is that.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-21-2014

Kage and Natalie were hurt. Probably the only two people that may have had an onze of care for his well-being. Well, maybe a half-onze. It shouldn't have bothered him. 

The previous encounter had left Kage knocked out, with multiple wounds. He'd managed to follow Jin'li and a damned mage through the aether to Black Brush, where another assassin had joined them. "Damn that mage!" He may have been alone in his room, but the fist hitting his desk would be audible in the entire house. If he'd had better control. If they had not focused solely on Jin'li. The words that Auturmax Laforet had said, "we'll hunt you down," didn't sit well with him. Sure, nobody knew who we was, himself included, so tracking by name was pointless. But this was someone involved in the void. Someone who chose to protect a twisted, rapid dog of a former slave.

And what came of it? As the mage teleported once again, Merc ran after Jin'li's blood trail, only to find it end abruptly. It was fairly obvious the miqo'te wasn't in a state to teleport himself. It would have needed to be Laforet's work. The residual aether from the teleport was easy to sense. He knew the theory, had the knowledge, but not the practice to reopen the gate. Someone else would have to track it. Merc needed only to find someone equally well-versed in study of the aether. Like any other energy, there would be...traceable remnants for a while. He could only hope the captured assassin would either divulge the location, or they would find someone who could apply his theories.

He send a letter to the Weaver's Guild in Ul'dah with a few lines.

"The dog couldn't be put down. He is protected by an elezen named Austurmax. I know not if this is a pseudonym. The mage threatens to speak, location unknown." The letter was not signed. It need not be trackable.

He was certain that the receiver of this letter, a hyuran woman, would not be pleased. Letter sent, he departed to the world of dreams, only to be awoken if any in the house actually wanted his help. His methods may be rough, but they were thorough.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Aya - 07-21-2014

Aya turned around, leaning her hips against the bar.  A small smile embraced her lips as she watched the late-night scene of the Quick Sand unfolding before her.  It had been a long couple of weeks.  What just had happened she figured she'd never quite know for sure.  Confusion, panic, and mayhem had been the order of the day. 

An attack on the city, a panic over water supplies.  She had seen the hooded man surrounded by drawn weapons, and seen the empty barrels.  She'd warned Momodi, who sounded the alarm.  The city had been a hum of activity since then, a flurry of efforts, rumors, and stories which seemed impossible to tease apart to anything resembling a cohesive narrative.  Momodi assured her, and customers, that the Quick Sand's cistern was safe, though she fretted for days about how much longer it would last. 

A week later it had been announced that all water in the city were safe, but this was quickly followed by rumors of an attempt on the Sultana.  More chaos in the city, with rumors of dark magic and assassins moving in the shadows.  The scene quieted more quickly this time, though whispers and rumors moved apace, weaving tales of their own too fantastic to believe about a battle against voidsent within the palace itself.  Still, the Blades went about their duty, the Sultan Sworn returned to the streets.  Tension hung in the sweltering sun, but the public air was muted.

Then, as if transported back in time, Crofte and Warren returned to patrol the streets of Ul'dah, and to keep their watchful eyes on the Quick Sand.  Aya grinned as she remembered the scene upon first seeing the two of them together again: refreshing tea, happy smiles, and a warm welcome home.  No matter the trouble they and the city had been through, things couldn't be too bad now that they were home.

Crofte had asked Aya about Osric - she had let the question slip by unanswered.  For weeks her heart had been broken for the man she viewed as hero and protector.  She knew of the collars, his and others; what role had they had in all of this?  She'd heard he was the one who set the bomb that blew the hole in the city wall, through which wind born sand had briefly poured into the courtyard outside the Quick Sand.  She'd heard far worse, too; whatever Crofte had to add Aya would rather not know.  If, like Crofte, the collar had been removed, he was now in the hands of fate, one way or another, firmly ripped from the fingers of the common-folk who had adored him.  Aya remembered the reassuring voice behind the masked eyes, the comforting squeeze of her hand, and the feeling of quiet confidence that surrounded him.  He had lent her a badly needed sense of hope, when her own comfortable little world had come crashing down.  This was how she wanted to know him, no matter what may have followed.

Her smile softened as she lowered her gaze to the stones of the tavern floor, covered with the sand of dust of Thanalan and her jewel-like city.  A gust of wind burst in from an opened door, sweeping the grit along the stones in a snaking pattern.  Such seemed to be the way of Ul'dah; built as it were upon the shifting sands. Nothing was certain.  Nothing was sure.  Nothing could be counted on, except memories.

She shook her head, trying to banish conjecture.   With an exhale she pushed herself away from the bar, adopting her playful sauntering gait, and the warmth of her welcoming smile.  For now, at least, she had her own job to do; her own role to play, until the shifting sands came for her too.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Warren Castille - 07-21-2014

He stood facing the pool in the center of the Goblet. The sun was just slipping away over the mountains and he tossed another rock sidearmed towards the pond. It bounced once, twice, three times before sinking.

That's everyone, then. No better than you deserve.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Whittledown - 07-22-2014

Hornet sat in her room in the Grim's house in the Goblet. Her room. It felt strange not to be staying in an inn. Strange, but welcome. She looked around and found herself smiling. There were all ready wonderful memories here. Kaylie had just left to go do whatever work she had found for herself.

Kaylie. The girl was at a crossroads. Hornet frowned slightly, hoping she had done the right thing with what she had said to her. For a moment she worried that if Kaylie left her Company, that Hornet would be blamed. Then she smirked, thinking of Renaud. Of course she would be blamed. And she found herself not caring.

Hornet thought of the people she lost, and of the few that she may still count as friends. Kaylie. Jancis perhaps. Sigurd? Possible. Vashi of course. She ticked off other names in the 'no' column. Alveo? Not likely given what happened. Tau? Whatever. She couldn't even muster up a good anger about him. She just didn't care. Renaud? A laugh. After he had shown his true colors, there would never be friendship there. Rinilda? Well she was sleeping with Renaud wasn't she? Cross her off the list.

Dhemgeim. Hornet felt her jaw clench without realizing it. Dhemgeim who stood there, silent, while Tau accosted her. Dhemgeim who stood their, silent, while Renaud called Hornet a bloodthirsty monster and a whore. Dhemgeim, who when she did speak, offered only the suggestion of bloodsport to settle the issue between Tau and Hornet. Dhemgeim who said NOTHING to support her. Dhemgeim who never reached out. Dhemgeim who didn't trust her. Dhemgeim who didn't care.

Hornet felt something cool on her face and was startled to find herself crying. She wiped her cheeks and took a few breaths. She didn't feel sad, exactly. She just felt a bit empty. A friend she thought she'd have forever. A woman she'd made a promise to.

"Oaths are only worth the people they are made to." She said to herself, echoing a sentiment she'd said to Roen. Whatever promise she made didn't matter any more. She had more important things to worry about. She had an axe to sharpen. A lance to hone.

Hornet thought of the conversation with Sindl. It had been a relief to express herself to him and to find him so receptive and non-judgmental. She found herself appreciating him for his silence more than his words. He was a good listener. And he had alerted her to a situation she would have to resolve. He didn't have to. But he did. He was a good leader. She would focus on that.

The past was past. Time to move forward.

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Berrod Armstrong - 07-22-2014

The soldier hurried into the house. It was warm, well decorated and furnished with the most modern amenities technology had to offer. He was a handsome man with somewhat rough features and golden hair that was chopped short upon his head. His blue eyes possessed an almost effeminate fairness, but the square cut of his jaw and his harsh cheekbones eliminated any possibility of him being mistaken for a woman. The look on his face however, suggested nothing short of torture.

"Gem," He called. "Gem, come to me, quickly, please."

A beautiful -- though harried-looking -- woman emerged from one of the rooms inside. Rich, red hair spilled down all the way to her waist, framing teary eyes as green as precious stones. "Is it time?" She asked thickly. The soldier responded with a nod. "My superiors have agreed to surrender, but the men of my unit want to fight. I don't think we have any chance, but we need to show people that they can still fight."

"Let me fight with you, Engheimr, please. You know I've bested even some of your own men." Gem's plea was heartfelt, and only increased the spill of tears down her pale face. Engheimr the soldier would not have it. "As much as I want to die with you beside me, someone needs to see our child to safety. Someone needs to make sure that he doesn't become a part of -- them. They'll take the children and brainwash them, you know it. Where is he? Inside?"

Gem nodded once. "Sleeping. I didn't want him to be awake to see if anything went wrong. If you want to see him -- now's the time."

Engheimr nodded and quickly moved to one of the inner rooms. Gem went with him, shamelessly allowing her emotion to pour and drip from her pointed chin. 

The room was simple -- a few implements for the change of a diaper, a small station to mix formula and prepare food, and a great deal of toys. Against the wall, a small bed stood, with a smaller figure upon it. Like his mother, his hair was as red as the blood in his veins. He was a little large for his age -- something that his father had been loudly proud of. Very quickly Engheimr crossed the room to the bed and gently scooped the boy up. He slept soundly, and only stirred in slumbering protest. Engheimr clutched him, and kissed his head. The moment Gem held on to his waist and pressed her head into his shoulder, however, he broke down into quiet, hitching sobs, refusing to stop the kisses to the mop of wild red hair.

"I love you, my son. I love you so much. Please remember at least a little of me. Grow to be a better man than I, a man that your mother can be proud of. You're already so strong, and everyone sees greatness in you. Grow well, and return to this place. Seize it back for us, and make my spirit smile."

Gem's sobs joined Engheimr's as they held on for their last precious moments together. 

"My sweet boy. My sweet baby boy," the soldier sobbed. "I leave you now. Travel with your mother and take care of her. Be safe in the lands beyond our own."

Gem took the child, who had not awakened. His hair was even more of a mess than before on account of all the kisses. Through her tears, she managed her husband a promise. "I'll make sure Berrod never forgets you, Engheimr. I shan't let that happen. Now go; our time is short."

RE: Balmung Bulletin Board - Oscare - 07-22-2014

"Big brother isn't playing fair!" A childish yell echoes across the hall. A bulky kid for his age with a younger looking girl were chasing after each other, the boy clutching a bow in his hand. "Give me that back! That's my bow!" The girl flails as she trips over on a tile and lands on her nose, which bleeds a little. She doesn't cry though -- in fact -- she seems even more encouraged to chase the boy.

Two tall highlanders stand a short distance away from them. The taller, stronger man of the two who hones dark red hair and purple eyes laughs. "Wow, isn't Grace tough? She just fell flat on her face and didn't even budge about it." 

"Oh, Tohan. You know they're both very strong. Grace doesn't like to complain." The woman replies, holding a baby in both arms. "I just hope Kanah is a little bit more... sensitive. It's great to see two very tough kids, but sometimes a little humanity is good too!" 

Tohan sneers. "Ah, would you like me to not raise her to be a hunter, then?" Tohan taunts, prompting a laugh from Ysabel. "Yeah, maybe we shouldn't. Two roughhousing kids are bad enough. We don't need a third one." Tohan looks back to Oscare and Grace, who were still fighting.

"You can't even use this bow! Watch a professional, sis." Oscare raises the bow like some sort of champion. The younger sister merely makes a rude gesture at Oscare. 

"You can hardly use it either!" Grace pouts, trying to take the bow back. However, Oscare was tall enough to make the bow out of reach. 

Tohan and Ysabel laugh again.