Hydaelyn Role-Players
Random Idea - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Random Idea (/showthread.php?tid=5344)

Pages: 1 2

Random Idea - Madda - 11-03-2013

Madda is back. Yay.

Anywho, Madda did have another random character idea here that Madda had for another MMO. It would be difficult to pull off, but was wondering what other roleplayers thought and thought could be doable.

My idea was for a child magic user that was untaught and would basically be roaming around towns, talking to people and asking people that he spots using magic to teach him. Like true children, he'd be curious and pestering somebody if something caught his interest. It wouldn't be one of those "I'm kicking evil villain ass and I'm only 8 years old" sort of deal, but one that's just around the town for fun.

RE: Random Idea - Madda - 11-04-2013

Bump.

RE: Random Idea - Olofantur - 11-04-2013

Greetings Madda,

As a note, perhaps there might be a lack of replies due to being unsure what you'd like recommendation or validation on. The General idea of being a younger character seeking tutelage in the wide world isn't unheard of but perhaps some aren't sure exactly what kind of magic your character is interested in, or the content of personality to work with.

Either way, perhaps you'd like to take a look at a few organizations. (i'll put a quick blurb after each link, but please read their entries as they do a far better job than I ever could of capturing the nuance of their ideas and goals.)

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=5317
May interest you, twelve knows it interest me, a little more inclusive of character roles, at least to my eyes. Affording a mix of the go-getters, the readers, (the pumpkin eaters) and the monetary enthusiasts.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=3321
Is centered around the scholarly aspect and enjoys a structured, formal, environment. While I don't know FreelanceWizard IC, I know of him and is known fondly by the people i've spoken to.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=4241
If you desire a formalized ranking system and various duties. To be honest I don't know much about them, there are how ever branches for each main city, I linked to Ul'dah, because Ul'dah is awesome, you can of course take a look at the Limsa and Gridania branches.

That covers the main ones off the top of my head. Thaliak knows i've missed one, two or maybe a half dozen, but no fear some one will be along to correct me or chime in with their own additions if I made too grievous an error.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you might have, the idea of "Student in training" is interesting, it does afford a lot of opportunities to grow the character and form relationships with the people you encounter. Best of luck!

Apologies, Olof. Madda was looking for feedback. But thank you ^^"

Hmm, well I think it could be interesting, particularly depending on what city you decided to center in (if any.)

Going for Gridania would put you in contact with Conjurey and the Padjal which have an interesting history, and while I don't want to spoil anything, going through the quest line as well as finding some one IC to tutor you would provide an interesting experience, you could reflect on the quests with the person you come to learn from.

Or perhaps Limsa might serve better, I was considering the point "seeing magic" that would influence you interacting with some one would be more likely in places where it has constructive uses, and while I dearly love Ul'dah, there aren't many going around throwing fire (thankfully). Where as Limsa would be able to provide a setting for you to interact due to the ability to use the Arcanist/Scholar pets as the "Magic" you become interested in (if that sounds along the lines of what you might like.) This is assuming you'd be starting without much competency in the Aetheric arts yourself, if you wanted to assume you already had some experience in that field that open up the location you could take a look at.

Apakulla (sp?) Falls in Gridania would be an interesting choice, it is where Arcanists who attain the rank of Summoner speak with their teacher to begin the rituals required to call forth the EGIs' that they use. (Perhaps a place to lurk in search of some one eye catching.)

Hmm, food for thought I suppose. Did you have any magic you wanted to focus on first or any idea of what kind of person you wanted to learn from? (the Bookish researcher, the practical application user, the restless delver?)

(11-04-2013, 06:35 PM)Olofantur Wrote: Did you have any magic you wanted to focus on first or any idea of what kind of person you wanted to learn from? (the Bookish researcher, the practical application user, the restless delver?)
Madda was aiming for the character to focus on more healing type abilities ( Arcanist spells kinda ) before actual magic spells.

(11-04-2013, 08:23 PM)Madda Wrote: Madda was aiming for the character to focus on more healing type abilities ( Arcanist spells kinda ) before actual magic spells.

Hmm perhaps I am misunderstanding, but that sounds as if it would lend itself to conjury. While Arcanists do get the use of Physik as a healing spell, they don't really emphasize the ability until they unlock the Scholar job. Or perhaps you are referencing to the character styling and not the actual mechanics, in which case i'm sure an Arcanist or two may prefer a supportive role, and their carbuncles would make a stalwart protector.

Have you had the chance to play through the Arcanist or Conjurer quest line up to level 30? maybe that would provide better context for what idea you would like to pursue.

RE: Random Idea - LiadansWhisper - 11-04-2013

I'm not entirely sure that I would be comfortable being around a child character.

(11-04-2013, 10:00 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I'm not entirely sure that I would be comfortable being around a child character.
Not to sound defensive, but can you explain why?

RE: Random Idea - Alothia - 11-04-2013

*waves* Maddaaaaaaa! ♥ (Is Aly. Hi)

(11-04-2013, 09:05 PM)Olofantur Wrote:
(11-04-2013, 08:23 PM)Madda Wrote: Madda was aiming for the character to focus on more healing type abilities ( Arcanist spells kinda ) before actual magic spells.

Hmm perhaps I am misunderstanding, but that sounds as if it would lend itself to conjury. While Arcanists do get the use of Physik as a healing spell, they don't really emphasize the ability until they unlock the Scholar job. Or perhaps you are referencing to the character styling and not the actual mechanics, in which case i'm sure an Arcanist or two may prefer a supportive role, and their carbuncles would make a stalwart protector.

Have you had the chance to play through the Arcanist or Conjurer quest line up to level 30? maybe that would provide better context for what idea you would like to pursue.
Not really ><"

(11-04-2013, 10:48 PM)Alothia Wrote: *waves* Maddaaaaaaa! ♥ (Is Aly. Hi)
Hai ALy <3

RE: Random Idea - Alothia - 11-04-2013

In reference to wanting to strictly be a healer, and not use offensive spells, I can tell you that Conjurers are the ones who tend to be more healer based, but they look down on people who use conjury to only heal. (This is revealed in that storyline).
I think that if you want to go that route, it could make an interesting story. But yes, Con is a much better healer choice than Arcanist, at least until you can get Scholar unlocked (But I haven't run those quests yet, so I can't tell you much other than that).

(11-04-2013, 10:54 PM)Alothia Wrote: In reference to wanting to strictly be a healer, and not use offensive spells, I can tell you that Conjurers are the ones who tend to be more healer based, but they look down on people who use conjury to only heal. (This is revealed in that storyline).
I think that if you want to go that route, it could make an interesting story. But yes, Con is a much better healer choice than Arcanist, at least until you can get Scholar unlocked (But I haven't run those quests yet, so I can't tell you much other than that).
Hehe. Sorry for the confusion. Madda is back from learning more about them.

Madda was aiming for either an offensive spell caster (Black Mage, since Madda can't spell whatever class comes before that) or a Summoner.

RE: Random Idea - LiadansWhisper - 11-05-2013

(11-04-2013, 10:36 PM)Madda Wrote:
(11-04-2013, 10:00 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I'm not entirely sure that I would be comfortable being around a child character.
Not to sound defensive, but can you explain why?

Because there are elements and themes in this game that are simply not appropriate for children.