Hydaelyn Role-Players
Attribute points for arcanist to scholar - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Attribute points for arcanist to scholar (/showthread.php?tid=5170)

Pages: 1 2 3

Attribute points for arcanist to scholar - little-patchy - 10-19-2013

Do attribute points carry over from the arcanist to the scholar? I'm wondering how to spec my arcanist class with the aim of branching into the scholar profession.

RE: Attribute points for arcanist to scholar - Maqali Qulaan - 10-19-2013

(10-19-2013, 09:03 PM)little-patchy Wrote: Do attribute points carry over from the arcanist to the scholar? I'm wondering how to spec my arcanist class with the aim of branching into the scholar profession.
Arcanist points count for both scholar and summoner, so if you're planning to be primarily a scholar you'll want to sink those points right into mind. Smile

This is true of all base classes- their bonus points apply towards the job that uses them as the primary class.

RE: Attribute points for arcanist to scholar - little-patchy - 10-20-2013

Thanks for the info, S'janna! Big Grin

RE: Attribute points for arcanist to scholar - Vairemont Malveaux - 10-20-2013

I had been wondering this myself, so thanks for the info and having the gumption to post this thread. I hazarded a guess (I'm also going scholar) so I closed my eyes and dumped all my attribute points into mind. Then I opened then and put them into mind again because I couldn't see where I was clicking before.

Now I feel less worried about it, although until I hit 30 and do my scholar quest, I'm going to feel bad about my lower dps in rando dungeon groups and guildhests. Good thing I already did Ifrit as a conjurer.

RE: Attribute points for arcanist to scholar - Maqali Qulaan - 10-20-2013

(10-20-2013, 01:11 AM)Larsonient Wrote: I had been wondering this myself, so thanks for the info and having the gumption to post this thread. I hazarded a guess (I'm also going scholar) so I closed my eyes and dumped all my attribute points into mind. Then I opened then and put them into mind again because I couldn't see where I was clicking before.

Now I feel less worried about it, although until I hit 30 and do my scholar quest, I'm going to feel bad about my lower dps in rando dungeon groups and guildhests. Good thing I already did Ifrit as a conjurer.
I'm not at endgame yet, so I may be dead wrong here, but at the low 40s at least, I've noticed very little dps issue at all when running around as a summoner. Heck, I often have to space my damage over time spells a bit to avoid ripping aggro sometimes, especially if I'm using bane to spread them to multiple targets. My understanding is that pet damage (which is a VERY substantial part of our damage output) is based off of weapon damage, not off the caster's int. The the reduction in our damage from having a lower int is lower than it would have been had we been, say, black mages, since our spell damage is not the entirety of our damage output.

RE: Attribute points for arcanist to scholar - Taeh Niumoenwyn - 10-20-2013

I thought, and I could be wrong, that arcanists put all their points into Intelligence and then used the Conjuror spell Cleric Stance to swap Int and Mind when a Scholar.

That makes a lot of sense. My main class is bard, so leveling a conjurer and then an arcanist had an alarmingly dramatic damage differential. I've just reached 16 on arcanist though and I'm a little surprised by the damage my tanking pet does. It probably has to do with the pink (as opposed to green? I don't know what the terms are, haha) grimoire I just equipped. Been hanging onto it since my second-ever run of Sastasha and now I'm high enough to use it.

Doing fates though, I've noticed a difference in the healing value of psychic (sp?) since I dropped points into mind, so I was just a little concerned about my offensive usefulness. When I healed Ifrit as a conjurer, it took our pug group 5 or 6 tries to kill the nail in time, and one of the dps was an arcanist. I've remembered that, and even though I'm still doing small fry stuff now, I still want to be sure I'm playing at my utmost. If I'm fumbling now, I'll still be fumbling in endgame.

It could be more gear and rotation than attribute points at this point, but I do like to have some understanding of what makes an impact now so I have less to learn (and mess up) later.

I don't mean to sound like I'm taking this very seriously yet. xD I'm just passively mulling over it.

Taeh - Oh yeah? But doesn't that also increase damage and reduce healing as another effect of the spell? I'll have to look this up.

RE: Attribute points for arcanist to scholar - Rinh Hallani - 10-20-2013

The nail on Ifrit can be difficult with an arcanist since most of our abilities are dots and you really need burst damage to down it fast enough. I pop Aetherflow and Energy Drain to give a bit more burst and managed it with two arcanists as dps. So yes, it's not as easy as say a thaumaturge, but it's still doable.

Cleric stance increases damage by 10% and reduces healing by 20% so it doesn't really help swapping your intellect for mind that way.

I've got both summoner and scholar and yes, all my points are in intellect, but with mind gear you can help make up the difference. I haven't tried any level 50 dungeons as a healer but managed up to Aurum Vale. Endgame is probably a completely different story however so if you plan on being a healer most of the time, I'd just reset your stats and dump them into mind.

RE: Attribute points for arcanist to scholar - KitKat - 10-20-2013

(10-20-2013, 06:46 AM)Rinh Hallani Wrote: Cleric stance increases damage by 10% and reduces healing by 20% so it doesn't really help swapping your intellect for mind that way.

If only you could use Cleric Stance for summoner. You could put all your points in Mind, swap to Cleric Stance for juicy INT -and- 10% bonus damage.

Rinh - Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I definitely am more interested in healing. Originally I had intended to make a white mage, but my new FC seemed to already have a few so I decided to go scholar instead (and have since married the idea ICly as well). It didn't even occur to me that summoners also require a 30 arcanist until earlier this afternoon, so any ideas I've entertained about playing a summoner at all are nascent and tentative at best.

TheCurls - I was just about to ask that! So as a summoner you can't use Cleric stance? I was mulling over the idea of being able to play both summoner and scholar (but primarily I want to be into healing, for both IC and OOC reasons), and when you explained that, Rinh, I thought of using Cleric stance as a summoner to switch int for mind. So it won't let you borrow the spell from conjurer?

Also thanks for much for the info and friendly replies. I was a little afraid I'd check this thread again to find a lecture or something about how I'm too low level to be worried about it! RPC has been really great to me since I joined.

Although I AM probably too low level to worry about it, so I'll emphasize again that at this point I'm just sort of absorbing more than worried about my game performance at this level. I'm not a zealous gamer but I still like to be playing correctly.

Also sorry little-patchy for hijacking your thread. xD

(10-20-2013, 06:46 AM)Rinh Hallani Wrote: Cleric stance increases damage by 10% and reduces healing by 20% so it doesn't really help swapping your intellect for mind that way.

I can't remember where I saw about using Cleric Stance but now you've mentioned this it's made me think. Even at level 42 the difference on casting Physick with and without Cleric Stance as a Scholar is quite noticeable.

With Cleric Stance the heal is 360-370
Without Cleric Stance the heal is 430-440

Opps Blush

(10-20-2013, 07:23 AM)Larsonient Wrote: So as a summoner you can't use Cleric stance? I was mulling over the idea of being able to play both summoner and scholar (but primarily I want to be into healing, for both IC and OOC reasons), and when you explained that, Rinh, I thought of using Cleric stance as a summoner to switch int for mind. So it won't let you borrow the spell from conjurer?

Nope, can't cross class it as a summoner.

(10-20-2013, 07:53 AM)Taeh Marchand Wrote: With Cleric Stance the heal is 360-370
Without Cleric Stance the heal is 430-440

Opps Blush

Haha it's an easy mistake to make. ^^

So the sensible solution (are you listening Square Enix) is for Scholar to get an ability like Cleric Stance but in reverse. So Arcanist/Summoners put points in INT and then Scholar's cast Scholar Stance which swaps INT / MIND reduces dmg and increases healing.

*heads off to the suggestions forum*

RE: Attribute points for arcanist to scholar - Goodfellow - 10-20-2013

(10-20-2013, 08:21 AM)Taeh Marchand Wrote: So the sensible solution (are you listening Square Enix) is for Scholar to get an ability like Cleric Stance but in reverse.  So Arcanist/Summoners put points in INT and then Scholar's cast Scholar Stance which swaps INT / MIND reduces dmg and increases healing.

*heads off to the suggestions forum*

But barring that eventuality, we're saying that MND is where it's at for going SCH right now?

(10-20-2013, 10:34 AM)Goodfellow Wrote: But barring that eventuality, we're saying that MND is where it's at for going SCH right now?

Yep!