Hydaelyn Role-Players
Question about viewing RP info in-game. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Question about viewing RP info in-game. (/showthread.php?tid=4956)

Pages: 1 2

Question about viewing RP info in-game. - Zope - 10-07-2013

I come from primarily WoW, where there are addons aplenty. Ones that I love more than anything were the MRP type addons that let you put in info about your character that can't be seen from the model. Like a wiki in-game!

So my question is- Am I (sadly) correct in noticing there are no addons like this? And that there are no little profile blurbs to put in a paragraph or two on your regular in-game character profile?

All I've found is the search info which does appear when you examine someone, but I've only noticed people put roleplayer because there's a 60 chat limit. I tinyurl.com'd my wiki link into mine, which will have to do unless there's a better option.

RE: Question about viewing RP info in-game. - Ildur - 10-07-2013

Addons have not been implemented yet, though I think Squee said they'd eventually do something about it. So yeah, the only way you can do to have your character's RP profile is to put a link to the RPC wiki (or wherever you store it).

There's also the Lodestone, which is a web service for the game, giving you access to your charcater stats, achievements, and see the same for other player's characters. If you login there, you can set a small description for each character (I think the limit is 600 charcaters or something) that anyone can read via the Lodestone.
It's hardly efficient, though.

RE: Question about viewing RP info in-game. - Zope - 10-07-2013

600 words is better than 60! Thanks for letting me know about that!

RE: Question about viewing RP info in-game. - Suisei'to - 10-08-2013

(10-07-2013, 08:39 PM)Zope Wrote: All I've found is the search info which does appear when you examine someone, but I've only noticed people put roleplayer because there's a 60 chat limit. I tinyurl.com'd my wiki link into mine, which will have to do unless there's a better option.

This is brilliant for the time being. People, DO THIS

RE: Question about viewing RP info in-game. - Val - 10-08-2013

(10-08-2013, 02:31 AM)Suisei Wrote:
(10-07-2013, 08:39 PM)Zope Wrote: All I've found is the search info which does appear when you examine someone, but I've only noticed people put roleplayer because there's a 60 chat limit. I tinyurl.com'd my wiki link into mine, which will have to do unless there's a better option.

This is brilliant for the time being. People, DO THIS

Done =) Hopefully people will be interested enough to see.

RE: Question about viewing RP info in-game. - Rosekitten - 10-08-2013

can you copy and paste from the search information? I never bothered to check. o-o; (would make it a bit easier if you could).

Guess I better get off my butt and finish that wiki page sometime here soon .. >_>

RE: Question about viewing RP info in-game. - Cato - 10-08-2013

I'm actually sort of glad that there's no RP addons in FFXIV. It's nice to not be assaulted by descriptions of how 'beautiful/powerful/handsome' a particular player's character is. I'm unfortunately not spared it on the wiki pages, but that's another matter entirely!

RE: Question about viewing RP info in-game. - Rosekitten - 10-08-2013

*never used addons for RP in other games though my experience with RP in other games is limited* >_<

I don't see why you would need a add-on to help with rp or track it down (would assume that is what it is for if there was one?) I can almost walk anywhere on the server I'm on and find a rp going on >_>; Most are pretty open as well, only a few groups have I noticed seem to be against outsiders joining them.

(10-08-2013, 12:06 PM)Rosekitten Wrote: can you copy and paste from the search information? I never bothered to check. o-o; (would make it a bit easier if you could).

Guess I better get off my butt and finish that wiki page sometime here soon .. >_>
You can't =( but it's better than nothing.

RE: Question about viewing RP info in-game. - K'dath - 10-08-2013

(10-08-2013, 12:08 PM)Theodric Ironheart Wrote: I'm actually sort of glad that there's no RP addons in FFXIV. It's nice to not be assaulted by descriptions of how 'beautiful/powerful/handsome' a particular player's character is. I'm unfortunately not spared it on the wiki pages, but that's another matter entirely!
You're so negative! Coming from a Warcraft background I know exactly what you're talking about though. My friends and I would walk around Silvermoon reading the hilariously bad ones, and take a drink every time one launched into some overly descriptive exposition about how pretty they were. This often resulted in blacking out before 1am.

But, it's much better to roll your eyes and laugh it off than be upset about it. You can't change people's RP style.

(10-08-2013, 12:59 PM)K Wrote:
(10-08-2013, 12:08 PM)Theodric Ironheart Wrote: I'm actually sort of glad that there's no RP addons in FFXIV. It's nice to not be assaulted by descriptions of how 'beautiful/powerful/handsome' a particular player's character is. I'm unfortunately not spared it on the wiki pages, but that's another matter entirely!
You're so negative! Coming from a Warcraft background I know exactly what you're talking about though. My friends and I would walk around Silvermoon reading the hilariously bad ones, and take a drink every time one launched into some overly descriptive exposition about how pretty they were. This often resulted in blacking out before 1am.

But, it's much better to roll your eyes and laugh it off than be upset about it. You can't change people's RP style.

Eh. I don't fault people for wanting to have beautiful/hot/gorgeous/attractive RP characters. I mean, that's the whole point of RP, yeah? To pick a character you like the idea of being and.. well. Be them? Play them out? Whatever.

Some of them do make me chuckle, of course, but hey. To each their own.

RE: Question about viewing RP info in-game. - Cato - 10-08-2013

Oh, I'm not upset. I'm just a realist: most role-players are pretty awful with no intention of improving. I'm not going to dictate what they can and can't do, but I'll happily look upon them and laugh when I see some of the utterly awful concepts that they pump out. 

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't try and drag everyone else down with them, though sadly even many 'good' role-players begin to treat the playable races in MMO's in a similar way to how the awful role-players portray them. I lost count of the amount of 'serious' Horde role-players who treated even the most grittiest blood elf as a tweenager instead of a zealous, driven individual seeking to do whatever it took to defend his or her homeland.

(10-08-2013, 01:01 PM)Val Wrote:

Eh. I don't fault people for wanting to have beautiful/hot/gorgeous/attractive RP characters. I mean, that's the whole point of RP, yeah? To pick a character you like the idea of being and.. well. Be them? Play them out? Whatever.

Some of them do make me chuckle, of course, but hey. To each their own.
Naturally. It's all escapism. There's just a point where you draw the line and say 'this is too much'. Playing something attractive is fine. Telling me that 'what you behold is the most beautiful, flaxen haired maiden ever to have blessed your vision' is too much.

I'd never tell anyone they couldn't write that way if they wanted! But I don't think I'm wrong in saying it's in bad taste to impose your attractiveness on others though.

RE: Question about viewing RP info in-game. - SessionZero - 10-08-2013

(10-08-2013, 01:06 PM)Theodric Ironheart Wrote:  ...even the most grittiest blood elf as a tweenager instead of a zealous, driven individual...

Woah woah woah woah woah woah woah... woah... ... woah. There are "gritty" Belfs?

(10-08-2013, 01:15 PM)SessionZero Wrote:
(10-08-2013, 01:06 PM)Theodric Ironheart Wrote:  ...even the most grittiest blood elf as a tweenager instead of a zealous, driven individual...

Woah woah woah woah woah woah woah... woah... ... woah. There are "gritty" Belfs?
Aaaaaaand that's exactly what we're talking about here.