Hydaelyn Role-Players
Broken graphic card - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Broken graphic card (/showthread.php?tid=460)

Pages: 1 2

Broken graphic card - Kylin - 08-24-2010

I installed my new graphic card today (GeForce 9800 GT). There was just one problem. The fan was insanely loud. By loud I mean that I had to shut the window because the neighbors could probably hear it. It sounded like the fan was hitting up against the sides or something. Anyway, I thought it was normal and logged into FF14. Within about 5-10 minutes, the fan snapped. Taking it out, I noticed the card was incredibly hot as well and I'm not sure if that was normal or not.

I should note that the graphic card DID actually work. Did I just get unlucky with a defective unit or did I do something wrong in the installation process?

Re: Broken graphic card - UnbeknownstGhost - 08-24-2010

Even if you installed it incorrectly it would have most likely fried something not break the fan. Unless you installed it touching the fan, so it was probably a defective unit. I reccomend taking back to the place you bought it and ask why the hell the fan broke.

Re: Broken graphic card - Tadir - 08-24-2010

Was something pressing up against the fan when you installed it?

Re: Broken graphic card - Vareal - 08-24-2010

A few things could have happened, the most likely culprit is a faulty fan. It's rare, but it does happen. If you recently bought it, just take it back to the store and tell them what happened, or call Nvidia (or whom ever manufactured the card, not the chipset) and see about the warranty and/or if there's any recall on that particular card.

Another thing that could have happened is you may have pressed down on the fan during the installation process which could have other wise loosened or broke one of the ball bearings in the fan, or cracked a blade.

In a more rare case, the card could have been overloaded via power. This can happen a few ways; first being your powersupply isn't powerful enough to handle the card (assuming that the card requires an extra power source), the wire from your powersupply to the card could have had a short in it... you may not have plugged in the power cord (should it need it) to the graphics card. You could also have a faulty PCI-xPress port. and as Tadir said, something could have been pressing against it, but that wouldn't cause it to be extremely loud like that.

BUT, as I said, the more likely culprit is a faulty fan from the manufacturer.

Re: Broken graphic card - Kylin - 08-24-2010

Must be a faulty fan then. It doesn't need an external power supply so it can't be that (power efficient model).

Still though, is it normal for the fan to be so loud and for the card to get so hot?

My card runs around 140f so yes, they run hot. They should not be loud though.

Graphics cards run extremely hot the faster and larger their memory size is. Though the fan's are usually designed to be somewhat quiet. It shouldn't be that loud. Who is the manufacturer of your card? EVGA, XFX, Gigabyte etc..?

Re: Broken graphic card - Kylin - 08-24-2010

This is the exact card I got: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www3.pny.com/9800-GT-EE-1024MB-PCIe-P2860C331.aspx">http://www3.pny.com/9800-GT-EE-1024MB-P ... 0C331.aspx</a><!-- m -->

As I said, it sounded like the fan was rubbing against the sides or something. So maybe it was just faulty. But I'm afraid of exchanging it and having the exact same thing happen >.>;

Edit: Why does it still ask for a min of 400W power supply when you can't even connect a power supply to it? >.>

Castiel Wrote:Edit: Why does it still ask for a min of 400W power supply when you can't even connect a power supply to it? >.>

Even though you don't have to connect the power supply to the card, it still needs power to run. The PCI XPress port gives the card power to run, which takes power from the mother board which takes power from the power supply. A 400w power supply is a basic requirement so you don't over heat the entire system, it's a power distribution thing. It's powering several devices at once. However most computers won't even turn on if it doesn't have enough power. Noticible symptoms of a over worked power supply is your system will start to bog down, windows and other apps won't work properly, the system will crash, and all kinds of fun stuff.

Now, I, personally, am not a fan of PNY. That graphics chip in any other manufacturer is going to cost some $30-$60 more. Even more if you buy the card directly from Nvidia. PNY's have a history of burning out before the expected lifetime of the actual chipset because they're boards are cheaply made, hence the good price you can get for them.

Don't get me wrong, I've had a PNY card last me a long time, but they usually can be shipped faulty. If you don't want the same exact thing, get your money back for the card (if they'll let you) and get another card for the same price from a website like <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.newegg.com">www.newegg.com</a><!-- w -->. <--- they've got great deals on lots of things. Try to find a card from XFX Force. I've got an Nvidia GeForce 9600 GSO 768mb GDDR3 and it was under $100 and it passes the FFXIV benchmark in flying colors.

Sorry for the long post and I hope it helps.

Re: Broken graphic card - Asyria - 08-24-2010

It's pretty normal that card gets hot, that's why there is a fan in the first place. It's also normal that the fan is loud-ish but it's definitely NOT normal that it would be load enough for neighbors to hear it. o_O
I'm gonna go ahead and vote for faulty fan.
I will also express that I'm so happy with my heatsink-equipped card, it's so... quiet. But then it's not exactly the best card around. ^^;

I mean, it's a good card Castiel, don't get me wrong on that either. Chances are if you exchange it with the same exact one you'll be fine.

Yeah, it sounds to me like you just had a bad card. It happens sometimes. I hope it didn't damage anything in your computer other than the card.

Re: Broken graphic card - ArmachiA - 08-24-2010

Sounds like a bad card because a fan should not be that loud. But yes your card will run hot, especially right now, Nvidia cards are running hotter when playing FFXIV.

Re: Broken graphic card - UnbeknownstGhost - 08-24-2010

ArmachiA Wrote:Sounds like a bad card because a fan should not be that loud. But yes your card will run hot, especially right now, Nvidia cards are running hotter when playing FFXIV.

Well that makes me feel happy >.<

Re: Broken graphic card - ArmachiA - 08-24-2010

^ Yeah we had to install some additional fans thanks to Beta 3, I really hope that gets fixed in Open.