Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Take On: Martial Art's and the World of Final Fantasy. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A Take On: Martial Art's and the World of Final Fantasy. (/showthread.php?tid=4572)

A Take On: Martial Art's and the World of Final Fantasy. - IncubusManatee - 09-16-2013

Hello everybody! I been looking for a thread that covers in detail the martial art's aspect of Pugilist's and Monk's in general-and have yet to find one, so I am going to do one of my own. Feel free to post and reply, discuss and what-have-you. 

Now, to start off, I have been absorbed into the physical combat art's for year's. Was originally enrolled to Isshin Ryu at a young age of 6, switched to Wado-Kai at 11, then finally at 16 I moved to Kickboxing and Muay Thai. Since then I have been on and off with it. My brother carried on our family tradition of learning martial art's and is soon to go into MMA at the Amateur Circuit! 

So to say the least-I am steeped in martial art folklore and knowledge...mostly due to my family being very much into it.

When I saw they would have a physical melee class that used hand-to-hand combat (meaning as not using technical "melee" tradition weapons.), I nearly squee'd. And did backflips in joy.

So I am coming here with some of my observations of the Pugilist Class and it's technique's, how the animations are setup and somethings that are highly reminiscent of our modern day art's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Forms.

There are several forms that have been made apparent by skill's within our disposal. Taking a look at several of them, each is named after a specific animal species within the game. Opo-Opo, Raptor and Coeurl to name a few. 

From my point of view, these are related to how some Chinese and Okinawan fighting styles are based around animal's. Their motions and action's-and the methodology applied to the style itself.

Let's take Raptor for instance. It's a semi-small snake-like creature within the game. The Raptor Description. Thus it resembles a snake. I could go as far to say it resembles a Wu Shu art of fighting called: Snake Boxing, due to this. More commonly just referred to as Snake Kung Fu.  

It relies on deceptive movement's and fighting rather fluidly. 

Before anyone flips out and goes "It's Chinese, how does this relate to a Japanese game?", remember that cultural fighting styles are more blurred between the Eastern Way's. A lot of intermingling has occured between them all. And it's a game, they will design and create anything that seem's to fit their "World". 

Back on topic. 

My theory is that each of the form's alter's how the fighter actually is fighting within the literal lore and gameplay. Thus I could see some people RP'ing being exceptionally good with one style and rather bad with another. Or being a generalist. 

There is a lot of space to open up the RP with what they have given us! 

Hell, even when your running to a target with your weapon unsheathed, you look more akin to a traditional Orthodox Boxer with how you hold your hand's. 

A lot of the moves are very flashy in game, but also mimic things ranging from Muay Thai to Capoeira, Kenpo and Wushu. It's range is so broad that it's become a game for me to just watch my Pugilist animations and trying to pick out things I've seen before. XD

Now how does this relate to RP?

Well, I would say that there is some lore basis with the Monk's, and their system's. So you could go off some of that...

Or go with something relative to our own world! As the game had already shown us that fighting styles are varied and it wouldn't be too far fetched to have a boxer or traditional eastern art's student. 

Will post more on here when I got the time to condense my thoughts!

Leave messages or feel free to discuss whatever on here! Big Grin

If I got anything wrong, or I am missing some crucial lore-I'm sorry, if you can please direct me to it; it would be very appreciated. I'm not the most versed on the lore yet, and been trying to navigate the Wiki and the forums for more information is a little...frustrating at times. 

So any information you can give-would be great!

RE: A Take On: Martial Art's and the World of Final Fantasy. - Riken Avadur - 09-16-2013

As a fellow martial artist, this is an extremely well-written and super interesting post, which I wholeheartedly approve of. I had been thinking of similarities myself, and as you mentioned, beyond the flashy Final Fantasy flair, there actually seems to be a decent amount of substance beneath the surface. Kudos for taking the time to share this, mate. ^^

-Riken.

RE: A Take On: Martial Art's and the World of Final Fantasy. - IncubusManatee - 09-16-2013

(09-16-2013, 01:52 PM)Riken Avadur Wrote: As a fellow martial artist, this is an extremely well-written and super interesting post, which I wholeheartedly approve of. I had been thinking of similarities myself, and as you mentioned, beyond the flashy Final Fantasy flair, there actually seems to be a decent amount of substance beneath the surface. Kudos for taking the time to share this, mate. ^^

-Riken.

Thank's! I think it's a bit herky-jerky in my opinion, so I will probably be editing it further when I have time.

RE: A Take On: Martial Art's and the World of Final Fantasy. - Y'hmir - 09-16-2013

As a newbie in martial arts and someone with great fondness for the pugilist/monk class, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

RE: A Take On: Martial Art's and the World of Final Fantasy. - IncubusManatee - 09-16-2013

(09-16-2013, 02:53 PM)L Wrote: As a newbie in martial arts and someone with great fondness for the pugilist/monk class, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Will try and bring some good information to the table! And hopefully others begin posting and adding their own POV's about it all.

RE: A Take On: Martial Art's and the World of Final Fantasy. - DAISHI - 09-16-2013

My Monk practices Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Krav Maga.

(09-16-2013, 04:27 PM)DAISHI Wrote: My Monk practices Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Krav Maga.

Just for you. 

[youtube]sKAEZ89Ld0Q[/youtube]

RE: A Take On: Martial Art's and the World of Final Fantasy. - Swift Nightclaw - 09-16-2013

(09-16-2013, 04:27 PM)DAISHI Wrote: My Monk practices Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Krav Maga.

Well....not really Brazilian... it's more likely a form of Ala Mhigo Jiu Jitsu. Laugh

(09-16-2013, 04:41 PM)Swift Nightclaw Wrote:

Well....not really Brazilian... it's more likely a form of Ala Mhigo Jiu Jitsu. Laugh

Still Jiu Jitsu. *Flops around and hisses uncontrollably*

RE: A Take On: Martial Art's and the World of Final Fantasy. - Dogberry - 09-17-2013

An excellent post. Thanks for your insight. I'm no martial artist, just a guy with a huge collection of Jackie Chan movies. I mean, technically I'm a full contact "foam fighter" but to compare me to an actual fighter would be like comparing a paintball player to a real shooter.

I definitely play Dogberry as more of a heavyweight boxer than anything else, but as he grows he's sure to take on a much broader style. Thinking about the lore and the animalistic style of the stances and forms given in canon, one could make an argument that a Blue Mage style of class that uses enemy attacks could come out of Pugilist. This is pure speculation, with little to back it up, but I can definitely see a martial artist using more animal based forms to perform more complex techniques.

RE: A Take On: Martial Art's and the World of Final Fantasy. - Martiallais - 09-23-2013

Thanks for this! Glad to see other martial artists that think about these things as well. Big Grin

In my mind, Zarek is somewhere between Isshin Ryu with some flash from JKD-esque moves thrown in due to his time actually fighting in the arenas.

RE: A Take On: Martial Art's and the World of Final Fantasy. - IncubusManatee - 09-25-2013

(09-17-2013, 01:38 PM)Dogberry Wrote: An excellent post. Thanks for your insight. I'm no martial artist, just a guy with a huge collection of Jackie Chan movies. I mean, technically I'm a full contact "foam fighter" but to compare me to an actual fighter would be like comparing a paintball player to a real shooter.

I definitely play Dogberry as more of a heavyweight boxer than anything else, but as he grows he's sure to take on a much broader style. Thinking about the lore and the animalistic style of the stances and forms given in canon, one could make an argument that a Blue Mage style of class that uses enemy attacks could come out of Pugilist. This is pure speculation, with little to back it up, but I can definitely see a martial artist using more animal based forms to perform more complex techniques.

Thank you! I could really see them growing out the class with having a job or class that comes from Pugilist that allows you to get hit by an enemy's attack and "learn" it so you can use it yourself in the future. That would be cool.

(09-23-2013, 12:34 PM)Zarek Wrote: Thanks for this! Glad to see other martial artists that think about these things as well. Big Grin

In my mind, Zarek is somewhere between Isshin Ryu with some flash from JKD-esque moves thrown in due to his time actually fighting in the arenas.

Thank you as well!