Hydaelyn Role-Players
Trading Between Characters (Friends) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Trading Between Characters (Friends) (/showthread.php?tid=4539)

Trading Between Characters (Friends) - Mongoose - 09-14-2013

Hi,
I did quite a bit of searching, and having found nothing definitive, here goes...

At level 15, I attempted to give some lower-level items that I no longer need, to a Level 4 character on the PS-3. I could set it up for trading with the other character, then go to my inventory and "X", and the item moved to the Level-4 character.

But, nothing I could do would allow him to retain what I gave him; When I clicked the "Trade" button on his window, the item disappeared. When I did nothing but click the "O", the transaction failed. No matter what I did the emote box read something like "Trade cancelled."

I continued to experiment around for about 30 minutes, trying to give stuff to the level-4 character, and finally gave up. So, I ended up wasting his valuable game time.

Is there a trick to making the transfer work?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for making this the greatest FFXIV website.

RE: Trading Between Characters (Friends) - Nimarhie - 09-14-2013

If your items have even just a 1% spirit bind, they cannot be traded. It's basically like soulbinding in other mmos.

RE: Trading Between Characters (Friends) - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 09-14-2013

(09-14-2013, 04:39 PM)Nimarhie Wrote: If your items have even just a 1% spirit bind, they cannot be traded. It's basically like soulbinding in other mmos.

Is there a benefit to spirit bind?

RE: Trading Between Characters (Friends) - Torvhan - 09-14-2013

At 100% spirit bound an item can be converted into materia, an item will bind anytime you earn xp while wearing it combat/crafting/gathering etc..

RE: Trading Between Characters (Friends) - Mongoose - 09-14-2013

Uh, okay, I should have clarified better.
There is no spirit binding with any of my stuff. I didn't even know what it is until now.

I tried giving him a variety of items, from battle gear, potions, clothing, and mundane stuff, and was unsuccessful each time. There must be a step I'm omitting.

Thanks much

RE: Trading Between Characters (Friends) - BlessedSilence - 09-19-2013

(09-14-2013, 04:49 PM)Mongoose Wrote: Uh, okay, I should have clarified better.
There is no spirit binding with any of my stuff.  I didn't even know what it is until now.  

I tried giving him a variety of items, from battle gear, potions, clothing, and mundane stuff, and was unsuccessful each time.  There must be a step I'm omitting.

Thanks much

There really isn't many steps.

1.  You r click and choose Trade on the person
2.  A new window comes up
3.  You put the items you want to trade in the top section
4.  You hit OK
5.  They hit OK
6.  You confirm the trade

So either they are full up, or they keep hitting cancel.  Or you're giving it to some stranger by accident (had that happen when 2 people were near me and the camera angle kept it so even though I was clicking on the person graphically, the game chose another person.)  So make sure their name is in the new window that you are giving the stuff to them.

If all this and still can't do it, even with potions, then you both should /bug report it.

RE: Trading Between Characters (Friends) - LandStander - 09-19-2013

(09-14-2013, 04:42 PM)Siobhain Wrote:
(09-14-2013, 04:39 PM)Nimarhie Wrote: If your items have even just a 1% spirit bind, they cannot be traded. It's basically like soulbinding in other mmos.

Is there a benefit to spirit bind?
I think the idea is to keep items in circulation by crafters. If you buy a weapon and you cannot sell it or trade it, the only thing to do is turn it into a materia or NPC, so that makes sure that there is a constant need for crafters to continue to craft that weapon/armor/etc.

If you literally have no spirit binding on it (you haven't killed not even one enemy with it) then check your inventory and make sure that the item/s in question are not untradable items..such as dungeon gear.