Hydaelyn Role-Players
Confusion with naming.. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Confusion with naming.. (/showthread.php?tid=4478)

Confusion with naming.. - Michikyou - 09-12-2013

So, I had a discussion with a friend today when learning that their Miqo'te had a japanese name.

They told me their Miqo'te was found as a child and given a Hyur name; are there Hyur and other races that have acceptable non-naming convention names? 

Eg.
FFXIV Wiki says that Highlanders use Anglo Saxon, Celtic, and Briton naming conventions; is it likely there would be non Highlander humans who use Korean, Chinese or Japanese names?

If so, are there any NPC's or such that can be used as a lore reference?

RE: Confusion with naming.. - Shae'ra - 09-12-2013

Many of the people who created characters a while back did not have access to naming conventions as SE had not released any info on it. Some changed their names, other made up reasons as to why their names do not follow the released information. (Such as a Miqo'te abandoning their true name or being raised by another race. A Roe taking on a Hyur sounding name since people couldn't say said Roe's name.)

All the names that I have seen or read don't come close to representing Japanese styled names (FFXIV 1.0 NPC Names for Highlanders)

However, some Miqo'te names can sound Japanese. Such as if you use the naming generator: Ichi comes up as a last name for a female keeper. Ichi would be 'one' in Japanese. Also there is the NPC: Una Tayuun. Which is less likely to be influenced by Japanese, but could be passable as either. However, the Miqo'te as a general do not follow Japanese sounding names as most of the names are sharp and short versus the Japanese 'flowy' sounds.

RE: Confusion with naming.. - Michikyou - 09-12-2013

(09-12-2013, 02:26 AM)Nahv Wrote: Many of the people who created characters a while back did not have access to naming conventions as SE had not released any info on it. Some changed their names, other made up reasons as to why their names do not follow the released information. (Such as a Miqo'te abandoning their true name or being raised by another race. A Roe taking on a Hyur sounding name since people couldn't say said Roe's name.)

All the names that I have seen or read don't come close to representing Japanese styled names (FFXIV 1.0 NPC Names for Highlanders)

However, some Miqo'te names can sound Japanese. Such as if you use the naming generator: Ichi comes up as a last name for a female keeper. Ichi would be one in Japanese. However, the Miqo'te as a general do not follow Japanese sounding names.

That was not the issue I was trying to address, I am trying to address the issue of people who pick names and roleplay names for their Miqo'te or other such races and then name them: Mikiko Akarui or such things.

This would just be a small incorrect issue on their side, right?

RE: Confusion with naming.. - Gideon Aryeh - 09-12-2013

I've seen a few characters that break naming conventions. There is for instance a character named Latisha who works in one of the stores in either Limsa or Ul'dah. So while naming is for the most part followed, it isn't necessarily hard locked in.

Hell Latisha certainly is not a European name by any stretch of the imagination.

RE: Confusion with naming.. - Shae'ra - 09-12-2013

Based upon the naming conventions we have been told: that one could be bordering, but I would say it's a safer bet than something like Akara Asume. In the generator: Amari (sharp ending vowel) shows up as a last name and there are a few that follow the beginning name as well, however, the one you mentioned does come across very Japanese. This is most likely up to each person's preference on whether such a name would be considered an "issue".

Though, as for stating it's a Miqo'te who took on a highlanders name, then technically you are correct : it does not follow the naming conventions for the highlanders. Nor does it follow midlander. But, as mentioned by Rock, there are a few wild cards out there. Some RPers will choose to follow the naming guides strictly; others will not. If the girl/guy wants to roleplay that is her name: I see no reason why she can't. To me, it's a personal choice as long as one is willing to bare the facts that ICly they might get a few strange looks for their name.

RE: Confusion with naming.. - shdwsng - 09-12-2013

Well, there's always a few people who name their kids weird things. Their parents could have been the equivalent of the folks who put "Superfly" down as a middle name. Or Pairadice Dymand.

(Worked in Vital Statistics once, and I kid you not those were on the birth certificate. If you're not going to pick a name in advance? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let the drugs wear ALL the way off before filling out the paperwork!)

Also, who says a Japanese sounding name is their REAL one? They could have picked a nickname that sounds cool. Personally, I tend to consider backgrounds more damaging to RP than names. Because I don't really care if you're named "Bob" if you're claiming to be half-vampire/half-werewolf that sparkles in the sunlight, is a thousand years old, and your brooding gaze demands that I be attracted to you... Being named Bob is the LEAST of the problems with that character.

RE: Confusion with naming.. - Taeh Niumoenwyn - 09-12-2013

There can be quite reasonable explanations for unusual names. For example, Taeh's family where killed when she was only 2-3 years old, she knew her own name but not her family name; so she uses the family name of the Elezen family that adopted her.

RE: Confusion with naming.. - ArmachiA - 09-12-2013

If you're asking if there is any lore to support Japanese names, then no there isn't.

If you're asking if RPers can skirt around the issue, the answer is yes they can.

If you're asking if they SHOULD skirt around the issue... well that's somewhat subjective. As someone who has a character named "Loki" (Though it fits in naming convention because it's Norse, but come on XD) I really can't judge.

But yeah, there's always ways around everything.

RE: Confusion with naming.. - Talathar Khalynn - 09-12-2013

There are some RPers who create a character and start playing the game before learning the lore - they like to find out from within the game itself what the world is like. These players may not realize that they are not following the naming conventions for their race until too late - still, that doesn't mean they aren't good roleplayers.

My characters (all 2 of them on Gilgamesh so far) do not completely follow the naming conventions. Talathar Khalynn is a female Lalafell, and I dare say I roleplay pretty good. I know the name doesn't follow Lalafell naming rules, but my excuse is that she was an orphan with amnesia, raised by a Hyur woman after the Calamity. (In reality, I just wanted to use the name Talathar again... >_>)

RE: Confusion with naming.. - DAISHI - 09-12-2013

My name is Sin Darius. I'm a highlander. My name is not celtic. 

Or in other words, name him whatever sounds cool to you.