Hydaelyn Role-Players
Getting (All) Time Zones Organized - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Getting (All) Time Zones Organized (/showthread.php?tid=4383)

Getting (All) Time Zones Organized - Taeh Niumoenwyn - 09-08-2013

Perhaps not the best title for the thread but please bear with me as I try and explain what this is about. I'm sure this will elicit some, perhaps heated, discussion but please keep it civil and accept that everyone is entitled to their own view and opinion. Also please keep to the subject under discussion.

There was chat in the Europa Linkshell recently (click here for info on Europa) about needing to be better able to organize things for the people playing at EU prime time. The main request by those who brought this up was a separate forum for EU prime time players. Whilst as one of the co-leaders of Europa I didn’t think this was necessary I did agree to post this thread to allow it to be discussed in an open environment.

Personally I feel that a separate forum to EU prime time players isn’t necessary because there is everything we need in the selection of forums already available. I also thought that if Europa was granted a separate forum then every other Free Company and/or Linkshell might also request their own as well. With that thought in mind I doubt the forums admins would create one for Europa. Now perhaps a separate for each of the main time zones would be useful, although personally I'm still not convinced it is needed.

My counter suggestion to creating a separate forum is to have a standard that is used, particularly in the server events forums, to identify threads that are meant for a particular time zone. Although this isn’t meant to mean that an event is exclusively for players in that time zone. For example, in the title for an event it could start with an indicator of the time zone the event is planned for so you would see:

[EU] Tavern Night, Sunday 8 September

Now for this to be useful everyone would have to stick to this else those events that didn’t have the agreed information in the title would still have to be read in detail to try and work out when it was taking place. The actual agreed standard is still open for discussion.

So as promised to those in the Europa Linkshell, here is the thread for you to explain in more detail what it is you are looking for and how you think those requirements can be met.

RE: Getting (All) Time Zones Organized - Clover - 09-08-2013

I think writing [EU] would suffice. In the end, people from anywhere can and will attend the events (there's an event for EU players today, but everyone is welcome to come!)

Perhaps it'd be nice to add the hour for each event in several timezones, so that everyone can get a more accurate idea of whether or not they could participate.

RE: Getting (All) Time Zones Organized - K'nahli - 09-08-2013

(09-08-2013, 08:47 AM)Clover Wrote: I think writing [EU] would suffice. In the end, people from anywhere can and will attend the events (there's an event for EU players today, but everyone is welcome to come!)

Perhaps it'd be nice to add the hour for each event in several timezones, so that everyone can get a more accurate idea of whether or not they could participate.

This. I have additional clocks in my taskbar as a result of this forum but some people keep using different time zones and we all have to find out individually. If the topic creators could do that in our stead it would save a lot of trouble, assuming that's not too selfish to ask ^^"

RE: Getting (All) Time Zones Organized - Rinh Hallani - 09-08-2013

(09-08-2013, 08:57 AM)K Wrote: This. I have additional clocks in my taskbar as a result of this forum but some people keep using different time zones and we all have to find out individually. If the topic creators could do that in our stead it would save a lot of trouble, assuming that's not too selfish to ask ^^"

I've posted a link to this time converter on today's event listing and will do so in future as well. You simply put in the time zone of the event (e.g. "BST") and it will automatically calculate the time in your time zone.

RE: Getting (All) Time Zones Organized - Jove - 09-08-2013

I'm in agreement that a separate forum/area is unnecessary for these events and I'd be happy as long as I could see a time zone next to the time and date.

So I think [EU], [NA] etc would suffice in the title and as long as we have the time zone in the details, I think we'd be good.

RE: Getting (All) Time Zones Organized - Taeh Niumoenwyn - 09-08-2013

(09-08-2013, 09:50 AM)Jove Wrote: So I think [EU], [NA] etc would suffice in the title and as long as we have the time zone in the details, I think we'd be good.

Whilst most of the EU only covers a time difference of 2 hours I believe that NA covers 4 or 5 hours, so they may prefer to split theirs to East Coast and West Coast.

RE: Getting (All) Time Zones Organized - Rinh Hallani - 09-09-2013

I think using [EU] for posts and calendar entries will work but I wonder if it would be nice to have a place to discuss and plan future events. Maybe people interested in helping out with events could get in touch and I can make a skype chat for it? Anyone up for that?

RE: Getting (All) Time Zones Organized - Cato - 09-09-2013

(09-09-2013, 11:34 AM)Rinh Hallani Wrote: I think using [EU] for posts and calendar entries will work but I wonder if it would be nice to have a place to discuss and plan future events. Maybe people interested in helping out with events could get in touch and I can make a skype chat for it? Anyone up for that?

I'd be up for that. I've a fair few ideas floating around that I wouldn't mind sharing, though they'll mostly be geared towards exploration, relic hunting and dealing with prominent enemies such as the Garlean soldiers.

RE: Getting (All) Time Zones Organized - Naunet - 09-09-2013

(09-08-2013, 10:06 AM)Taeh Marchand Wrote:
(09-08-2013, 09:50 AM)Jove Wrote: So I think [EU], [NA] etc would suffice in the title and as long as we have the time zone in the details, I think we'd be good.

Whilst most of the EU only covers a time difference of 2 hours I believe that NA covers 4 or 5 hours, so they may prefer to split theirs to East Coast and West Coast.

Honestly, for consistency's sake, it'd be better to just use PST, as everything official for the game (NA-side, at least) utilizes that timezone anyway.

RE: Getting (All) Time Zones Organized - Taeh Niumoenwyn - 09-09-2013

(09-09-2013, 11:44 AM)Naunet Wrote:
(09-08-2013, 10:06 AM)Taeh Marchand Wrote:

Honestly, for consistency's sake, it'd be better to just use PST, as everything official for the game (NA-side, at least) utilizes that timezone anyway.

I was more making the point that most EU players are playing at roughly the same time; so an event organised for 8pm UK time would be at 9pm for Central Europe and 10on for Eastern Europe.

In contrast an event organised for 8pm on the East Coast would be happening at 4pm on the West Coast; and an 8pm West Coast event would be at mid-night on the East Coast. This makes it less practical for them to share events unless they are of an extended duration. So NA players might want to organise themselves into more than one group.

RE: Getting (All) Time Zones Organized - Rinh Hallani - 09-09-2013

(09-09-2013, 11:40 AM)J Wrote: I'd be up for that. I've a fair few ideas floating around that I wouldn't mind sharing, though they'll mostly be geared towards exploration, relic hunting and dealing with prominent enemies such as the Garlean soldiers.

Cool! Anybody else want in? I'll set up a chat if I get a couple more people interested. I'll also ask round in the linkshell when I get online tonight.

RE: Getting (All) Time Zones Organized - Sini'to Shadar - 09-09-2013

I'd be up for that as well. I gladly help out if i can, a place to gather thoughts doesnt sound bad.

RE: Getting (All) Time Zones Organized - Taeh Niumoenwyn - 09-15-2013

Anyone who has read this thread will know that Kylin is kindly offering to add a drop-down list to new posts in the two server events forums so that event organizers can make it clearer what time zone the event is occurring in. This in no way means that people outside the stated time zone can't attend but it is meant to make it easier for people to work out which events they can attend.

In both that thread and this one I've stated, and none of the other posters have dissented, that a single entry for the EU time zone is sufficient. It would be useful if some players who play at NA prime time(s) give their thought on whether a single option is okay for NA or whether there should be multiple options, e.g. East Coast and West Coast.

I've like to ask Kylin to put the new drop-down list in operation but I think we need a view on the options for NA first.