Hydaelyn Role-Players
New to Final Fantasy! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: New to Final Fantasy! (/showthread.php?tid=4325)

New to Final Fantasy! - ashkir - 09-06-2013

Hello everyone! I'm entirely new to Final Fantasy in it's entirety. I do have Final Fantasy III for the DS but I have never played it. But, the screenshots I kept seeing across Twitter and gaming sites about Final Fantasy XIV: Realm Reborn looks amazing. 

[Image: X3kbJ49.png]

Anything you know that can help me, please let me know. ^_^

MMORPG background & RP Experience:
So yeah! Anyways, I been playing on online post-by post games on forums (primarily ProBoards) since 2001. You know how people sometimes make test forums for themselves for their own uses? I did (and got a kickass name too) when I was twelve years old exactly eleven years, seven months, and twenty days ago. That is the exact date I first experienced role play. So yeah, anyways, I did love Warcraft III, Blizzard Entertainment gave me a free copy at a Make-A-Wish party and I got used to it, sadly, I couldn't play World of Warcraft because my mom didn't think computers were worth it, she thought they were useless.

So, after a while, when I was 17 in 2007 I got World of Warcraft and started playing it. World of Warcraft was my first true mmorpg. For a while I played Allods Online (and was their first 'Astral Scholar'), and I tried out Rift and even Aion, and even Lord of the Rings Online (my cousins loved it and got it for me to play with them). So anyways, here I am! I thought Final Fantasy XIV looked awesome and I was told it's easy to jump right in and I don't need to know any of the other thirteen. 

I still do play on post-by-post RPGs, usually Harry Potter or unique Fantasy ones. I'm still very much in love with them. 
Character Ideas/Info
I really do not know anything about the races yet! Heck, I don't even know if this game has factions! I decided on a Hyur! I decided he should be a natural curious explorer/adventurer that the world looks so unfamiliar to just for the fact I can get used to the lore. Loving the game thus far! 
How did you learn about the coalition?
Googled RP FFXIV server Smile. 
What kind of role-player are you aiming to be?
Medium of course! I love events, simply love them! The only thing I dislike about events in many games, people are often excluded. I tried to launch RP events in Allods Online, but they never really took off. But, on WoW I loved the Earthen Ring horde events and the ones on Alliance Wyrmrest Accord.
Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing?
I'm twenty-four years old and I hail from California (the hot valley 100+ degrees with sandstorms, not the beaches or the forests you hear about). I've lived in New Mexico for a while. I sometimes disappear for medical issues, but I usually crawl back because I'm in love with games. I once had an emergency heart surgery and my WoW guild kicked me out for not being on time when I told them I was having surgery. I woke up days later and they called me a liar and kicked me out. So sense then I've been a roamer. Smile. I always loved RP much more. 

I have three dogs. A puppy, German Shepherd. A Pomeranian Chihuahua, and a Chinese Pug. I love them all, even though the pomeranian is a little grumpy brat. I used to have a chinchilla!

RE: New to Final Fantasy! - Skylar Steelheart - 09-07-2013

Hello! Welcome to the forums, and to Final Fantasy! It's rare to get someone who's brand new to the series, I think. SquareEnix did a good job with the re-launch of this game, and I'm having a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy it too!

RE: New to Final Fantasy! - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 09-07-2013

Welcome! Hurray WoW-players!

I think a lot of people aren't 100 percent on the lore yet; I'm not and I've been hanging around, reading like a crazy person for a while. I -have- played other FF games, but rest assured that the only one(s) that have anything in common with this are FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 (And FFXI isn't really connected, lore wise, but all the character races were pretty much the same).

Nothing from the older FFs are really connected to one another, with a few exceptions. You'll still see the Cactuar and the Chocobos and the inevitable Cid but otherwise each is unique so that should make things a lot easier.

If you have any questions people here are happy to help. Rolling a Hyur that's young and possibly inexperienced is a great idea on how to discover the lore OOCly as you do ICly or in game, IMO.

So, again, welcome~

RE: New to Final Fantasy! - RaylenorSelzen-akaga - 09-07-2013

(09-06-2013, 02:06 AM)ashkir Wrote: Hello everyone! I'm entirely new to Final Fantasy in it's entirety. I do have Final Fantasy III for the DS but I have never played it. But, the screenshots I kept seeing across Twitter and gaming sites about Final Fantasy XIV: Realm Reborn looks amazing. 

[Image: X3kbJ49.png]

Anything you know that can help me, please let me know. ^_^

MMORPG background & RP Experience:
So yeah! Anyways, I been playing on online post-by post games on forums (primarily ProBoards) since 2001. You know how people sometimes make test forums for themselves for their own uses? I did (and got a kickass name too) when I was twelve years old exactly eleven years, seven months, and twenty days ago. That is the exact date I first experienced role play. So yeah, anyways, I did love Warcraft III, Blizzard Entertainment gave me a free copy at a Make-A-Wish party and I got used to it, sadly, I couldn't play World of Warcraft because my mom didn't think computers were worth it, she thought they were useless.

So, after a while, when I was 17 in 2007 I got World of Warcraft and started playing it. World of Warcraft was my first true mmorpg. For a while I played Allods Online (and was their first 'Astral Scholar'), and I tried out Rift and even Aion, and even Lord of the Rings Online (my cousins loved it and got it for me to play with them). So anyways, here I am! I thought Final Fantasy XIV looked awesome and I was told it's easy to jump right in and I don't need to know any of the other thirteen. 

I still do play on post-by-post RPGs, usually Harry Potter or unique Fantasy ones. I'm still very much in love with them. 
Character Ideas/Info
I really do not know anything about the races yet! Heck, I don't even know if this game has factions! I decided on a Hyur! I decided he should be a natural curious explorer/adventurer that the world looks so unfamiliar to just for the fact I can get used to the lore. Loving the game thus far! 
How did you learn about the coalition?
Googled RP FFXIV server Smile. 
What kind of role-player are you aiming to be?
Medium of course! I love events, simply love them! The only thing I dislike about events in many games, people are often excluded. I tried to launch RP events in Allods Online, but they never really took off. But, on WoW I loved the Earthen Ring horde events and the ones on Alliance Wyrmrest Accord.
Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing?
I'm twenty-four years old and I hail from California (the hot valley 100+ degrees with sandstorms, not the beaches or the forests you hear about). I've lived in New Mexico for a while. I sometimes disappear for medical issues, but I usually crawl back because I'm in love with games. I once had an emergency heart surgery and my WoW guild kicked me out for not being on time when I told them I was having surgery. I woke up days later and they called me a liar and kicked me out. So sense then I've been a roamer. Smile. I always loved RP much more. 

I have three dogs. A puppy, German Shepherd. A Pomeranian Chihuahua, and a Chinese Pug. I love them all, even though the pomeranian is a little grumpy brat. I used to have a chinchilla!

Welcome! It is so exciting to see someone who is completely new to the series. If you find yourself rolling on Gilgamesh let me know! We have a FC there full of RPers who will take care of you.

RE: New to Final Fantasy! - ashkir - 09-08-2013

(09-07-2013, 03:13 PM)Tirra Lirra Wrote: Hello! Welcome to the forums, and to Final Fantasy! It's rare to get someone who's brand new to the series, I think. SquareEnix did a good job with the re-launch of this game, and I'm having a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy it too!
Hello Tirra Lirra! Thank you for welcoming me to the forums! ^_^. I'm glad they did a good job with this relaunch I guess it's a good time for me learning Final Fantasy. Right? Did everyone besides me pretty much try out Final Fantasy before? Haha ><
(09-07-2013, 03:36 PM)Siobhain Wrote: Welcome! Hurray WoW-players!

I think a lot of people aren't 100 percent on the lore yet; I'm not and I've been hanging around, reading like a crazy person for a while. I -have- played other FF games, but rest assured that the only one(s) that have anything in common with this are FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 (And FFXI isn't really connected, lore wise, but all the character races were pretty much the same).

Nothing from the older FFs are really connected to one another, with a few exceptions. You'll still see the Cactuar and the Chocobos and the inevitable Cid but otherwise each is unique so that should make things a lot easier.

If you have any questions people here are happy to help. Rolling a Hyur that's young and possibly inexperienced is a great idea on how to discover the lore OOCly as you do ICly or in game, IMO.

So, again, welcome~
Well, I love lore. The stories of World of WArcraft made me quite happy. Really, with Pandaria it was so nice that all the major quests/story lines spoke out loud to you! I was hoping Final Fantasy doesn't have them. I heard FFXIV 1.0 was really bad, I asked around about it and the best description I think I got it was it was like 10% complete so I responded: 15 minutes of a 2 hour movie at a theater, only the first 15 minutes done, the rest is just pictures of a pretty mountain. Does that desribe it well?

So far I've noticed the Chocobos have a good storyline in themselves, as they were introduced to me by the game and what they were by the game. Hyur Midlanders seem to be the youngest and most inexperienced of the races. I also like how they look. I choose based on look before story, and now quite pleased. 

Thanks for the welcome! 
(09-07-2013, 04:47 PM)Faedil Hyperion Wrote: Welcome! It is so exciting to see someone who is completely new to the series. If you find yourself rolling on Gilgamesh let me know! We have a FC there full of RPers who will take care of you.
Thanks Faedil Hyperion for the welcome! A lot of people aren't completely new to the series? I rolled on the other server sadly. Sad.

RE: New to Final Fantasy! - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 09-08-2013

(09-08-2013, 12:31 AM)ashkir Wrote:
(09-07-2013, 03:36 PM)Siobhain Wrote: Welcome! Hurray WoW-players!

So, again, welcome~
Well, I love lore. The stories of World of WArcraft made me quite happy. Really, with Pandaria it was so nice that all the major quests/story lines spoke out loud to you! I was hoping Final Fantasy doesn't have them. I heard FFXIV 1.0 was really bad, I asked around about it and the best description I think I got it was it was like 10% complete so I responded: 15 minutes of a 2 hour movie at a theater, only the first 15 minutes done, the rest is just pictures of a pretty mountain. Does that desribe it well?

So far I've noticed the Chocobos have a good storyline in themselves, as they were introduced to me by the game and what they were by the game. Hyur Midlanders seem to be the youngest and most inexperienced of the races. I also like how they look. I choose based on look before story, and now quite pleased. 

Thanks for the welcome!

FFXIV/ARR is, of course, very new compared to Warcraft. I -loooooved- Warcraft lore. It was so in depth and always expanding (the only complaints I had were a few inconsistencies here and there that a lot of people complained about). FFXIV doesn't have any novels or things that I know of (yet) so of course there'll be a little bit less. Not hundreds of pages of lore about any little thing you could think of, but I imagine those come in time. I dunno because I wasn't around for vanilla WoW and though I was there are the start of SWTOR, there's already huge bits of lore for Star Wars to begin with.

Hyur -do- look great! I like them a lot compared to humans or human-equivalents in some other games.

And dun be sad you rolled on Balmung~ I hear it's a good place. *is rolling there too, but just got the game today*

RE: New to Final Fantasy! - Briaya - 09-08-2013

Welcome! Nice to see someone hail from WoW that liked the lore. I really enjoyed Warcraft from the first game all the way to WoW (took me a while to play it though since I thought they'd just ruin the lore completely), so it is neat to see others that come from it. Anyways.. Have fun out there and hopefully you learn everything you need to know! I sure hope I do still...hah.