Hydaelyn Role-Players
Newbie question about costume - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Newbie question about costume (/showthread.php?tid=4226)

Newbie question about costume - Mongoose - 09-02-2013

Hi,
After a lot of search engine searching, I couldn't locate a definitive answer, so here goes.

Okay, I am new, level 5, and catching on adequately so far. Already, there're lots of excellent costumes and attire out there, so the question becomes how to look more presentable than the character-default.

The beta testers manual, on page 48, states, "Completing the level 10 class quest for any Disciple of War or Magic will unlock the Armoury system, allowing you to undertake the initiation quests for guilds of other disciplines. ..."

So, if the beta test manual is still correct, for the full implementation version, and if Armoury system includes costumes, then character default prevails until level 10, or so it seems.

Anything you can share (tips, and advice) on how to improve costume, appearance, etc, over game default, will be most appreciated.

Thanks much,

Keywords: Clothes, Clothing, Costume, Costumes, attire, wardrobe, dress, gear.

RE: Newbie question about costume - LeCard - 09-02-2013

from my experience up through level 23 the best gear is generally listed as "unique" the level 5 or 10 gear is your "unique robe/armour" and at level 15 you can start working towards dungeon drops. The level 15 dungeon dropped gear is good to at least level 20. At level 20 you can switch to what I will call "temp" gear, or crafted/purchased till you can get level 20 dungeon drop gear.

It is sad, but the best gear is generally going to be dropped from dungeons, and that means everyone will look alike. Unless they start implementing some crafting bonuses that make wearing crafted gear =/> dungeon gear.

And unless you are incredibly unlucky about 10 runs through a given levels dungeon(s) should get you all the gear you need.

Edit: a note about Asyria's mention of Dyeing. Dungeon gear with green around it cannot be dyed. While dungeon gear with a pinkish color to it can be.

RE: Newbie question about costume - Asyria - 09-02-2013

There are no "costumes" in this game, if by "costume" you mean cosmetic outfit to show off over your gear.

What the Armory system is, is simply an easy way to switch all your gear at once instead of one by one.  You still show your actual equipment.

That being said, around lvl 15, you get a quest to unlock  the Dye system, which can help improve the looks of your gear.

To be honest, it's kinda uncool that I have yet to see prettier gear than the starting clothes... aside from the endgame job armors.

RE: Newbie question about costume - Lost River - 09-02-2013

For me I love the starting Roegadyn clothes for both genders. But as for casters its all over the place.

RE: Newbie question about costume - Ildur - 09-02-2013

As Asyria said, the Armoury System is just a tool to change sets of armor quickly. It's not a costume system at all. Squee said they would eventually implement one of those.

The only way to get other clothes is to do quests or buy them from vendors. Treasure chests in dungeons have a chance to give you a unique looking armor set, but it comes with a fixed color.

RE: Newbie question about costume - Naunet - 09-02-2013

(09-02-2013, 09:41 PM)Ildur Wrote: Treasure chests in dungeons have a chance to give you a unique looking armor set, but it comes with a fixed color.

Aside from the lack of a wardrobe feature, the inability to dye dungeon sets was seriously the most disappointing thing about ARR to me. Sad

RE: Newbie question about costume - Nimarhie - 09-03-2013

If youre talking about the pink-quality gear, that *is* dyeable... Tai wears a pair of pink-quality boots that I dyed mole-brown.

RE: Newbie question about costume - Naunet - 09-03-2013

(09-03-2013, 07:27 PM)Nimarhie Wrote: If youre talking about the pink-quality gear, that *is* dyeable... Tai wears a pair of pink-quality boots that I dyed mole-brown.

No, the green-quality ones - things like the Acolyte's set and such. They're undyeable, which is seriously disappointing. I'd also be willing to bet that endgame gear is largely going to be undyeable, which is just... why even have dye in the first place argh. :/

RE: Newbie question about costume - LeCard - 09-03-2013

(09-03-2013, 08:14 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(09-03-2013, 07:27 PM)Nimarhie Wrote: If youre talking about the pink-quality gear, that *is* dyeable... Tai wears a pair of pink-quality boots that I dyed mole-brown.

No, the green-quality ones - things like the Acolyte's set and such. They're undyeable, which is seriously disappointing. I'd also be willing to bet that endgame gear is largely going to be undyeable, which is just... why even have dye in the first place argh. :/
The same could potentially be said for crafting gear. Unless they start making gear with a bonus greater than dungeon dropped gear, crafting is for aesthetics only. Right now(till level 25? at least) dungeon dropped gear is better than crafted gear five levels higher(without materia). I only switch from my level 15 dungeon gear at level 22 when I finally got crafted gear that had equal to or great stats. and shortly after I started getting the next set of dungeon dropped gear. so really, what good is crafting except to affix materia to you dungeon gear, or make place holders till you get that lucky roll.

RE: Newbie question about costume - Shae'ra - 09-03-2013

I hope they might change it to where you are able to dye anything in the future, but for now: taking what I get.

I always keep clothes with me that I like, even if they are outdated due to stats, most roleplay I have been a part of isn't a "run and kill things" type so I am not worried as to if it will protect me or not if it is my roleplay set of armour.

Once you get to picking up a second profession on a character, you can unlock the gear set list where you can save things. I still have my original clothes and many along the leveling-way. I have certain gear sets labeled specifically for fighting and others purely for RP purposes.

I recommend keeping a hold of anything that you remotely like and saving it on your person or with a retainer (unlocked at 18-20 roughly via through main story) cause you might be able to mix and match later on.

RE: Newbie question about costume - raindrops - 09-08-2013

Unless I've been getting the wrong sort of dungeon gear, you can't affix materia to dungeon things. This is the benefit of the crafting classes - the things they make aren't quite as good by default but they can have materia attached to them, making them occasionally potentially more powerful (iirc it was mentioned that HQ crafted gear with good materia would normally be better than dungeon gear at the same level) and also meaning that they can be customized according to your playstyle. As a conjurer, I've found my crafted stuff + materia worlds better than mage-class dungeon stuff of the same level for working in parties, just because I can customize it for maximum healing/spell speed when my damage output isn't a big deal so the int bonus from most dungeon mage gear is worthless (dungeon mage gear can be nice for soloing, though!).

That said, as far as I've seen (it might change with the super super high level stuff, I've been trying to keep my crafting and gathering classes at the same level as my main, so between that and connection issues levelling's been a little slow) the difference in stats is a minor one if you don't care about cutomization. I like to keep both my crafted gear and dungeon gear either on hand or with a retainer just to play dressup.