Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balmung's Finest: Community Dungeon Crawling Initiative - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Balmung's Finest: Community Dungeon Crawling Initiative (/showthread.php?tid=3860)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Balmung's Finest: Community Dungeon Crawling Initiative - Rhylund - 08-22-2013

What’s this all about?: Balmung’s Finest acts as a ‘looking for group’ channel for those interested in running dungeons with other players on Balmung server.

Why not just queue for the Duty Finder?: I try to start a group with players from our server before resorting to the Duty Finder because I believe in community over convenience. Running dungeons is a cooperative endeavor and it’s an experience that I’ve found to be more enjoyable when done with players I know I’ll see again. The joys of building trust, establishing a rapport, and making friends are often lost in the cross-server Duty Finder groups.

Why should I join?: This linkshell is for those who share my passion for building a strong community through the cooperative play of running dungeons (and eventually raids) with players right here on Balmung. The goal is to learn from and encourage one another. When you’re entering a dungeon with other members of this linkshell, you should be going in feeling confident that you’re going to have a good time.

Sounds great! How do I join?: You can get an invite by contacting myself or one of the pearl holders below in-game.
  • Rhylund Ganzentsyn
  • Fleeting Dawn
  • E'rinha Tia
  • Kivhi Yuhga
  • Katja Wynter (graveyard shift)
  • Darien Cadell
  • Eve Malusion
  • Liadan Summerfield
Rules:
1. Don’t be a jerk!: Should go without saying, but it needs to be said. Members are expected to treat others with courtesy and respect. Be positive. Encourage inexperienced players, don’t put them down. A little kindness goes a long way.
2. Keep it (relatively) clean: I’m not putting an age requirement on the channel and some people are more sensitive to foul language than others. Some profanity is fine, but moderation is key.
3. Leave the drama at the door: If you’re having a problem with another member, contact an officer. Let's keep it civil.

The Future?: Just a couple thoughts. Open to suggestions.
  • Raids: The possibility is there for interested parties to set up raids once more people start to hit the level cap. This may be of particular interest to those who chose their FC for RP reasons but still want to experience top tier content.
  • Class Mentors: Players that are exceptionally passionate and knowledgeable about one of the classes. The 'go to' players for when you have any questions or would like some humble advice about a specific job. 

RE: Balmung's Finest: Community Dungeon Crawling Initiative - Aduu Avagnar - 08-22-2013

That would be cool, during P4 I know a lot of my groups came from the Intermission LS and Mumble Chat, but if there was something dedicated to this that would be good.

RE: Balmung's Finest: Community Dungeon Crawling Initiative - Khaze'to Zhwan - 08-22-2013

Thats a good idea, would keep those channals free for people trying to Rp and just chat, we don't want to turn it into /2.  I can imagine a lot of people using their FC's for that (Cough Cough Join the EU here Cough Cough) but it would be nice to have an ooc channel for just in game stuffs.

Man I have so many LS's right now, really hope they add a sorting option and more tabs to early access and release.

RE: Balmung's Finest: Community Dungeon Crawling Initiative - Jomoru - 08-22-2013

What if you don't have contempt for the Duty Finder but would rather play with people you know?

RE: Balmung's Finest: Community Dungeon Crawling Initiative - Ashren Dotharl - 08-22-2013

First of all I just want to start by saying that the claims that duty finders have  a negative impact on communities is just superstition. I've been in Beta since Phase 2 started and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I have never been so frustrated trying to play a game than I was sitting in front of Copperbell or Hauke Manor shouting for hours trying to find a group.

On the other hand when the Duty Finder was added the very first group I got into was Brayflox and the people I ran with were incredibly helpful since it was my first time running it, they were chatty, friendly, and I was actually sad I couldn't play with them again (perhaps the only downside I can say to the Duty Finder).

Now with that being said, I'm all for this idea despite the above sentiments. Personally though, I'm not going to join a group with someone to talk about the weather or chat about your dog/cat. When I get into a group or a dungeon the most I usually talk is to explain a boss fight or something, anything else is just slowing things down especially when I'll likely need to run the same dungeon another 10+ times.

tl;dr: The Duty Finder isn't a bad thing, and neither is not wanting to talk and only wanting to progress in a group. However I am all for a server specific dungeon crawler group.

RE: Balmung's Finest: Community Dungeon Crawling Initiative - LiadansWhisper - 08-22-2013

I think random dungeon finders can have a negative impact on a server community, as I saw in WoW from Wrath of the Lich King to present day.

However, there are a lot of other factors that play into that.  It's not like, one thing.  There are many other factors in FFXIV that will offset any negativity you see in the dungeon finder.

I'm going to be playing a main spec healer, but I'm sure I'll get around to tanking and DPSing at some point.  I'd love to be a part of this if there's ever room.  Smile

RE: Balmung's Finest: Community Dungeon Crawling Initiative - plutosams - 08-22-2013

I'd love to be a part of it.  I love running dungeons and if I can run them with like minded people all the better.

RE: Balmung's Finest: Community Dungeon Crawling Initiative - Khaze'to Zhwan - 08-22-2013

(08-22-2013, 07:00 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: tl;dr: The Duty Finder isn't a bad thing, and neither is not wanting to talk and only wanting to progress in a group. However I am all for a server specific dungeon crawler group.

This is more what I was meaning as well tbh.

RE: Balmung's Finest: Community Dungeon Crawling Initiative - Nel Celestine - 08-22-2013

Consider me interested, and if possible, i'd love to record and release these runs.

RE: Balmung's Finest: Community Dungeon Crawling Initiative - Jomoru - 08-22-2013

(08-22-2013, 07:02 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I think random dungeon finders can have a negative impact on a server community, as I saw in WoW from Wrath of the Lich King to present day.

However, there are a lot of other factors that play into that.  It's not like, one thing.  There are many other factors in FFXIV that will offset any negativity you see in the dungeon finder.

I'm going to be playing a main spec healer, but I'm sure I'll get around to tanking and DPSing at some point.  I'd love to be a part of this if there's ever room.  Smile

I didn't find Wow's community have changed much before or after Dungeon finder.  When I was with a group I knew, they were awesome. When it wasn't even if it was same server it was a coin flip. I got plenty of abuse with people from my same server tanks who couldn't tank shit, healers who couldn't heal shit, DPS who attack whatever they want and ignore Cc, etc

The only thing DF cut out was "wait around 3 hours looking for group because I'm a mage" That's why I think DF is seen as so bad. You get to see more of Wow's community in a quicker period of time.. and alot of it is shit people.

On the otherhand dungeons are always more fun with friends rather than silently compitent types who never speak up.

RE: Balmung's Finest: Community Dungeon Crawling Initiative - FreelanceWizard - 08-22-2013

I'm in. I much prefer to play with people from my own server (that is, after all, why I picked it Smile ), and having a place to LFG for RP-friendly groups is a good thing, IMO.

RE: Balmung's Finest: Community Dungeon Crawling Initiative - LiadansWhisper - 08-22-2013

(08-22-2013, 07:12 PM)Jomoru Wrote:
(08-22-2013, 07:02 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I think random dungeon finders can have a negative impact on a server community, as I saw in WoW from Wrath of the Lich King to present day.

I didn't find Wow's community have changed much before or after Dungeon finder.  When I was with a group I knew, they were awesome. When it wasn't even if it was same server it was a coin flip. I got plenty of abuse with people from my same server tanks who couldn't tank shit, healers who couldn't heal shit, DPS who attack whatever they want and ignore Cc, etc

The only thing DF cut out was "wait around 3 hours looking for group because I'm a mage" That's why I think DF is seen as so bad. You get to see more of Wow's community in a quicker period of time.. and alot of it is shit people.

On the otherhand dungeons are always more fun with friends rather than silently compitent types who never speak up.

I have had a different experience.  The community from BC and the community now in MoP are very different, and Dungeon Finder is part of that.  However, like I said, it's just a single piece in a rather large puzzle.  In the case of FFXIV, I don't think it will be an issue.

Incidentally, the issue with DF and "shit community" is that when you are forced to queue with people from your server, you have a social investment in behaving and doing your best (or else you'll be blacklisted).  Dungeon Finder removes that.

RE: Balmung's Finest: Community Dungeon Crawling Initiative - Ashren Dotharl - 08-22-2013

(08-22-2013, 07:12 PM)Jomoru Wrote:

Pretty much this. If I ran with my Guild on WoW I was pretty much guaranteed to have fun and get through it without much issue. If I ran with a PUG I picked up from shouting in trade chat or LFG it was a 50/50 chance I was going to have a bad time.

There's a common misconception that just because you're on the same server as someone they aren't going to royally suck, or they won't ninja your gear. This couldn't be further from the truth, after all you never know when someone on the Duty Finder is from your server (unless you ask), and during Phase 2 and early Phase 3 I got ninja'd a LOT on gear, having healers roll on +Int gear or an Archer that was rolling on every piece of caster gear he could get because it was All Class instead of DoM. The Archer was even on Balmung so.... yeah. Like I said, people fearing that Duty Finder will be the end of server cohesion are just being paranoid.

(08-22-2013, 07:21 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: There's a common misconception that just because you're on the same server as someone they aren't going to royally suck, or they won't ninja your gear. This couldn't be further from the truth, after all you never know when someone on the Duty Finder is from your server (unless you ask), and during Phase 2 and early Phase 3 I got ninja'd a LOT on gear, having healers roll on +Int gear or an Archer that was rolling on every piece of caster gear he could get because it was All Class instead of DoM. The Archer was even on Balmung so.... yeah. Like I said, people fearing that Duty Finder will be the end of server cohesion are just being paranoid.

Actually, that isn't what I was talking about.  You may get a bad player, or a ninja.

And then you can tell your friends, and their friends, about said bad player.  And if they're bad enough, or pull the same behavior enough, they will find themselves without people to do dungeons with.

RE: Balmung's Finest: Community Dungeon Crawling Initiative - CalemvirLucin - 08-22-2013

You can send me a invite in-game Smile I'll be mainly a healer and I am always down for dungeon runs!