Hydaelyn Role-Players
Themes from previous Final Fantasy titles used in FFXIV - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Themes from previous Final Fantasy titles used in FFXIV (/showthread.php?tid=3579)

Themes from previous Final Fantasy titles used in FFXIV - Mtoto Wamoto - 08-15-2013

I thought this would be a fun list to make and also see what others can point out. As many of us are aware by now, FFXIV is more or less the love letter to every single Final Fantasy that came before it. While it currently exists within its own universe and has its own lore, it does borrow heavily from previous titles far more than any other title so far. In fact, there are cases where some elements are direct rips from the older games. This is just a fun thread to see how many of the themes from previous games we can list~

Here's a short list of some of the themes I've gathered:

Final Fantasy I:

Garland > Garlond. Also possibly the originating etymology for Garlean. 
Light Warriors > Warriors of Light
Basic jobs - Warrior, Black Mage, White Mage, etc.

Final Fantasy II:

Final Fantasy III: A lot of Allagan background seems to borrow from this game.

Onion Knights (Knights of the Allagan Empire in XIV)
Xandes (First emperor of the Allag in XIV)
Cloud of Darkness
Crystal Tower (Where the tomb of Xandes I is in XIV)
Cid, inventor of airships.

Final Fantasy IV/After Years:

Engineer Cid 
Lesser Red Moon
Bahamut descends from lesser red mood

Final Fantasy V: XIV seems to borrow a bit more from FFV in regards to the Void.

The void
Gilgamesh

Final Fantasy VI: Garlean Empire seems to borrow a lot from FFVI.

Magitek technology
Gestahlian Empire > Garlean Empire

Final Fantasy VII: A lot of how aether seems to work is very similar to how the life stream functions.

The Life Stream > Aether
Materia and Materia Slots
Meteor

Final Fantasy VIII:

Gunblades

Final Fantasy IX: 

Mother Crystal...Slightly altered. Mother Crystal in XIV is source of all aether, thus all life. Mother Crystal in IX is the source of the origin of the universe, so again, all life. 

Aaaand that's it for now. I'm currently at work so I don't have much time to add everything I can think of...but that's where you guys step in! C'mon guys, let's see how many older final fantasy elements we can find in XIV!

P.S - I left out mobs and summons simply because those are FF staples. Feel free to add them however.

RE: Themes from previous Final Fantasy titles used in FFXIV - Syggfryd - 08-15-2013

Definitely a nod to FFII when you go visit Minfilia. The password is Wild Rose.

RE: Themes from previous Final Fantasy titles used in FFXIV - Gar - 08-15-2013

Final Fantasy X:

This one is pretty minor, but I believe I've heard mention of "machina" which might have been used in other games, too, but I forget at the moment.

Final Fantasy XII:

The Garlean big wigs have armor similar to the Judges in the Ivalice chain of games.

Final Fantasy XI:

I know I'm being a smart ass, but I have to add it. The races are almost the exact same save for different names, added genders, and the lack of tails on Galk--... Roegadyns.

RE: Themes from previous Final Fantasy titles used in FFXIV - Adelpha - 08-15-2013

This may be of interest.

RE: Themes from previous Final Fantasy titles used in FFXIV - Regulus Heartnet - 08-15-2013

and the white mage robe comes ff9 cus in the cut secne where at the start where Dagger jumps of the tower she wearing a cloak  with a hood that looks like the white mage robe in ff14