Hydaelyn Role-Players
An evening in Gridania[Closed] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: An evening in Gridania[Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=3220)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

An evening in Gridania[Closed] - Felix Sideris - 08-02-2013

OOC notes: Open to anyone. Keep everything IC please, I don't mind conflict but lets keep it mature here and have some fun! If you need to message or talk to someone OOCly, please send them a private message rather than posting a reply in this thread, thank you. Also, feel free to emote for the bar-keeps/various possible NPCs within the tavern. I will only be role playing my character after this initial post. Smile

Location: A tavern in Gridania (I'm not 100% sure if there is an actual tavern or inn in Gridania, but for sake of role play, and the fact that the world is likely bigger than the actual In-game version, lets say there is.) located nearby the market district.

I'm not the best at writing scenes, but I wanna RP and I am sure many of you do, too.. Soo here goes nothing!

Scene:

The sun was beginning to set, sending flickers of light dancing behind the tree-tops. It was the usual quiet night in the Black Shroud, except for the tavern nearby. Shopkeepers often looked to the tavern after closing up their displays with a sigh of relief, what better way to end a day than some sweet mead?

The Tavern was weathered and worn, an old building that showed its age. Charred support beams and walls covered the north side by the enterance, it was a miracle the building survived the Calamity. Inside, laughter and shouts could be heard, along with music and singing. As one enters, the smell of mead would rush out carried by a warm front. The Black Shroud's cooler nights around this season were no match for a packed taverns climate. Comments could be heard around the bar and various tables about people's daily events. Merchants arguing over who profited more in the day, mercenaries shooting glances around in search of a client, men trying in vain to lull a woman into coming home with them. It was your typical tavern. The bar-keep was a pretty little thing, a Miqo'te woman standing at barely four and a half feet. She'd smile with a cheeky grin as you arive, her hands occupied with wiping spilt mead off of the counter. Her brother beside her passing teasing comments at her clumsiness. He stood slightly taller than his sister and maintained an attractive appearance. They certainly knew what would sell a drink, and often had one ready before people arrived to the bar.

In the corner by the fireplace, a young man would be found with a few merchants sitting around him laughing and joking as they usually would. This was Felix Sideris, a midlander who seemed to be in his mid twenties at best. The only thing that stopped him from having a baby face was his facial hair, which ran down his cheeks and into a neatly groomed goatee. His attire was that of a ranger's; dark, woodland colors. Felix's cloak was a pine-green, and wrapped around his shoulders, held together in the front by a simple clasp. He had lowered his hood, and his eyes were closed with a smile pursed upon his lips as he played his pan-pipe.

The song Felix is playing as you enter:
Show Content

RE: An evening in Gridania[Open IC] - Celsius - 08-02-2013

After a fairly long day of sifting through papers, Shizu had finally got a chance to relax. Naturally, as she passed the tavern, the smell of mead danced across her sensitive Miqo'te nose. With a grin and a shrug, she put the idea of nap behind her and walked into the tavern, with the allure of some mead fresh in her mind.

After grabbing a mug from the two Miqo'tes managing the bar, Shizu goes to sit at an unoccupied table. Despite working with papers all day, she still wore good looking clothing. It may look like a scholar's outfit, but Shizu had altered it just so, making it a bit more feminine. She was roughly 3 or 4 inches taller than the barmaid, including ears. Her hair was mostly brownish-red, with white fringes, and framed her face neatly. She always wore a hairband to keep it out of her face, but still liked to wear the large mage-type hats, even over the hairband. 

Now, sitting down, she took the hat off, folded it, and stuffed it in her pack. She'd worry about the creases and wrinkles later - for now, she was at a tavern. It was time to relax. 

About then, she noticed the light, flowing notes of a pan flute. Of course, it was a song she had never heard before, but she loved music, and this melody was as catchy as they come. 

After a few bars of listening, she stood and approached the man who was playing the song - a young midlander, who seemed to be about her age. She had a good grasp on the song's beat and tempo now. She placed her drink on the table, and began to drum lightly on the table's surface nearby.

"Just a passing musician, if you don't mind." She said with a smile.

RE: An evening in Gridania[Open IC] - FreelanceWizard - 08-02-2013

The light of the moon had already started poking through the blanket canopy of the Shroud when L'yhta finished her meditations at Stillglade Fane, slung her small messenger's bag over her shoulders, and bolted for the door. It wasn't that she didn't like the meditations or the Conjurers per se, just that they could be a bit... stuffy, as far as she was concerned. As the fresh air of the Gridanian evening hit her lungs, her stomach mumbled a protest and her mind immediately catapulted to a most critical issue -- where she was going to eat that evening.

Trusting her nose and ears to guide her to a proper tavern, the miqo'te mage with the long purple hair jogged towards the market district, her low leather boots crunching against the city's paths. It didn't take long before her right ear perked up and twisted in the direction of the tavern, slowly tugging her whole body along with it. "Brilliant!" she exclaimed to no one in particular, then strode inside, tossing the door open with a broad sweep of her arm.

Her mouth opened, perhaps to speak, but then closed into a broad smile as she caught the pan flute tune. With a laugh, she grabbed a nearby and utterly shocked elezen man and whirled him around, dancing him in the direction of the musicians for a few moments before letting him go. Now close enough to listen more clearly, L'yhta continued to dance to the song, her long black robe occasionally flashing a bit of calf covered by black leggings. "Hi!" she called out to the two musicians.

Meanwhile, the unfortunate elezen recipient of an unexpected and altogether uncalled-for dance shook his head in a combination of shock and annoyance and returned to his friends.

RE: An evening in Gridania[Open IC] - K'nahli - 08-02-2013

Show Content

Alex took another slow swig of his mead as he sat quietly alone in a darker corner of the room, away from the busy fireplace, doorway and counter. Resting his pitcher back down on the table once again with a silent thump, he let out a discreet sigh of contempt as another group of rowdy customers made their way into the already-bustling tavern to enjoy a nice, stiff drink after a long and hard day of work. Usually such things didn't bother him, but he was in no mood for it today.

He stared blankly out of a nearby window which was dimly illuminated by a lonely candle sitting on the middle of the sill. He couldn't help but reminisce on the events that had taken place earlier in the afternoon. Sure, it wasn't his fault that the target had been killed in the ambush, nor did it bother him that it would mean that he would only earn half of the promised reward, but rather the fact that he prided himself on always executing a perfect job. He didn't like mistakes and he didn't like the discredit it would bring upon his own skills in the eyes of potential employers, no matter how minor. On top of that, there's no way his pride would allow him to accept even the 50% reduction when he returned to U'ldah in the morning to deliver the target's ring as proof of his defeat. Meaning that the past week he had spent tracking down and sourcing information on the evasive rodent had been all for nothing.

A loud cheer from a nearby group of people disrupted his train of thought, causing him to glance irritatedly in their direction. He analyzed them briefly with his fierce, slate-grey eyes as they continued talking amongst themselves, oblivious to his loathsome glare.

"Tch..." he grunted quietly to himself as he took another, larger gulp of his drink. He was in that kind of state of mind where absolutely anything seemed to annoy him. He would make this his last drink before hiring a room for the night.

RE: An evening in Gridania[Open IC] - sanguineFenrir - 08-02-2013

Kevaraan paced down the Gridanian streets, stray leaves crisply punctuating the measured fall of his boots. He knew it was far, far too early to sleep, but could not settle: insomnia had been his nightly company since the Calamity, and today he could tell the first inklings of it were coming early and holding fast. Knowing this, he began his nightly walk early, hoping the sunset would soothe his mind with its array of autumnal colors.

Were it not for the faint, airy notes of the panpipe, Kevaraan wouldn't have stopped at the door. No, taverns weren't his place: the drinks were distasteful in more than one sense, and the chatter made it hard to focus. But, upon hearing the music, he was compelled to crane his neck around the doorway.

He saw at least two Miqo'te, and one of them was dancing. The rest of the place, though reasonably populated, didn't seem near as lively.

Slowly, he walked into the tavern, making an attempt at subtlety. Perhaps the music, or the unintelligible lull of conversation, would drag him back to the fringe of fatigue. 

Kevaraan leaned against the wall and noticed that he was quite taller than either of the two females near the panpipe player; he stood at about five feet and nine inches, tall for his kind. He wore a long brown jacket with a vest and pants to match, likely purchased from a leatherworking shop in the city. 

He made some attempts at sweeping his long, dark hair away from his face while he watched the group, his pale green eyes scanning the rest of the bar. As the song continued, he tried to smile, but the resultant expression was little more than a vague twitching-up of the corners of his mouth.

Shizu looked over to the dancing Miqo'te and nodded with a smile as she continued to drum along with the pan flute. She continued trying to drum with one hand while she took a long sip from her mug, only to place it back down and continue drumming along.

She hadn't had a nice break to let loose in a while, and was determined to enjoy it while she could.

RE: An evening in Gridania[Open IC] - Felix Sideris - 08-02-2013

Felix finished his song before giving the scholarly Miqo'te woman the attention she diserved. His head canted and he bowed it lightly

"Good evening!" He exclaimed with a friendly gresture of his hand. His fingers drumming on his pan-pipe as he lowered it into his lap. The man was sitting on a table with one foot in a chair, the other hanging freely. From the judge of this, he was likely to be on the taller end for midlanders. "Do you have a request, hun?"

Felix gained a broad smile and watched L'yhta, shaking his head. "That's what I like to see! I can't play much on this old thing, but if you ladies have requests I will try to accommodate. Otherwise.. I have another in mind that will get those feet moving."

Shizu merely grinned, taking another gulp of mead. "Play whatever you like! If I can catch the melody, I'll drum along." She hopped herself up onto the table beside Felix, and placed a nearby empty food tray on her lap for her to drum on. 

She stretched out her arms and hands, cracking her knuckles. "Ready when you are, sir!" She tossed another big smile at Felix.

Felix grew a smirk and pursed his lips, "Well then! I suppose I will have to put you to the test, won't I?" He winked to her, a shoulder bumping her own in a friendly manner.

With that said, he wasted little time before pulling the pan-pipe to his lips again, beginning his next song. The gentle melody started off slow and gradually picked up the pace as his eyes set upon his new-found partner in music to see if she could catch the flow.

A hand raised and gestured to the bar as he played. Not long after the young Miqo'te woman came over with a bounce of a gait and placed a mug beside Felix, filled with what was likely to be a juice of some kind, as it gave off a sweet scent.

Show Content

Shizu listened for a moment. The song seemed to start with a few changing tempos, but it steadied itself after a number of bars. When the steadied melody began, Shizu quickly picked up a rhythm, and drummed in time with the pan flute, tapping her foot along to the beat, trying to keep her drumming steady.

Having found a strong beat, she looked back at Felix. "Some test this is!" She said, grinning, while adding flourishes to the beat. It was clear she was just showing off now.

Rolled his eyes, his song continued for a few more minutes before it gradually came to a close, quickly taking a drink of the sweet drink beside him. Felix glanced over to the woman besides him and smiled, a hand extending, "Felix. Does my new partner have a name?" Teasing at her, his eyes glanced at her make-shift drum. "Not bad use of that, either."

Felix looked around the room and sat quietly for a moment, letting people digest the music before thinking about what song he should play next. He noticed the two men in the distance, eyes peering over their features as he flicked to the usual tavern-goers as well.

RE: An evening in Gridania[Open IC] - sanguineFenrir - 08-02-2013

Kevaraan closed his eyes as the next song started. He began to lapse into a sort of meditative state, blocking out the intermingled tavern speech. The wooden table-drumming provided a quiet accent to the steady rhythm of his heartbeat; he let his mind go wild with images and color as the song continued.

When the bard offered up a name, Kevaraan snapped awake. His eyes narrowed as they readjusted to the light, and he shook his head in an attempt to regain the bearings that briefly had melted away.

Knowing that any attempt at smiling would be both odd and hard to discern, he simply broke into measured applause. Not too fast, nor too slow--loud enough to be heard, but certainly not enough to incite the rest of the patrons.

At the change in song, L'yhta took the opportunity to pirouette to a stop, a grin on her face. "Whew! Okay, I'll leave you two to it, because I have got to get something to drink before I keel over." With that, she walked over to the bar, passing the barkeep on her way and making their height differential quite obvious; she stood nearly a full fulm taller than that one, and almost a half a fulm taller than the miqo'te musician.

As Felix and Shizu played their second song, L'yhta's tail and ears bobbed along with the beat as she kept time with her right foot. Once the barkeep returned from making her delivery, she ordered, "Hey short stuff! Uh... whatever you have that's beer-like for me, aaand whatever the house special is tonight, aaand their next round's on me," with a flick of her thumb towards the two musicians.

Once their song finished, L'yhta plucked her recently delivered stein of ale from the bar and walked with purpose back to the two. Taking a seat at the table with a dramatic flourish of her tail, she nodded to both of them and clapped her hands together. "So, hi again! That was a great set, both of you -- very snappy. So your next round of drinks is on me, and I'm L'yhta, and you two are...?"

Looked over to Kevaraan, his head bowing in thanks. Felix was happy to make others happy, and knowing that someone enjoyed his song satisfied him.

His eyes soon adjusted to the lively Miqo'te who stationed herself nearby. Lips tugging into a smile as his head canted, "Hello there. Ooohh? A round of drinks on you?" He teased, eyes looking over the woman. "Well then. I'll surely have to take that offer. I can't get enough of this juice." With that said, Felix took a drink. Afterwards he placed the empty wooden cup upon the table and drummed his fingers on his knee. "Felix, it is a pleasure, L'yhta. You seemed to enjoy the music, have any requests? Otherwise I have another in mind."

Felix stood, rolling his shoulders and stretching. His neck cracked a few times before he sat back down and adjusted himself into a comfortable position. The warm fire caressed those around it, sending their shadows dancing along the walls behind them.

"It's great to meet you, Felix!" she proclaimed, demonstrating her questionable command of an inside voice. She took a pull from her stein and leaned in. "I don't really know any good pan flute music, though a sea shanty might be interesting on one... though maybe a little too rowdy for a Gridanian tavern," she remarked with a grin before continuing, clearly unable to apply brakes to her train of thought. "What kind of juice is that you're drinking, anyway?"