Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Can people eat voidsent meat? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Can people eat voidsent meat? (/showthread.php?tid=21005)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Gegenji - 11-28-2017

(11-28-2017, 10:30 PM)Aegir Wrote: I just want to say, I love this question.

It's definitely an interesting thought. Also I was honestly thinking of having Gaines be the one thinking about preparing Beast Tribe folk as food.

Anyway, in regards to Valence's comment - I'm mostly going with the voidsent being invasive enough to cause them to transmogrify their host. Because I would figure that until that point they're not quite... voidsent... and thus their flesh and other bits are all still that of the base form. For example, I would think that the kin of the Cocos wouldn't bleed voidsent blood if he was pricked. Arya's lineage might have a bit mixed in, but that'd be about it. No extraneous voidsent bits like an ahriman or imp's wing or anything like that.

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - LiadansWhisper - 11-28-2017

Can you?

Well, of course! You can do anything you want to. Big Grin

Of course, my mama always told me that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it. Wink

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - LiadansWhisper - 11-28-2017

(11-27-2017, 01:02 PM)Valence Wrote: It depends on how invasive the voidsent was.

The harmfulness of eating parts of said voidsent? What are you basing that off of, if I may ask?

Quote:The one that inhabits the aether poor relative to the Coco brothers in the THM quests for example, doesn't seem to really harm its host in any meaningful way.

Wasn't it killing him? Like, it left no lasting damage once removed, but wasn't he going to die because it was inhabiting him?

Quote:The one that is after Arya's lineage in the RDM quests left a taint that could be removed.

Some change their victims completely, like the Tonberries were, and while a cure is still being investigated, there is no way to heal them of their affliction.

But they weren't inhabited, they were cursed. The voidsent inhabited something else.

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Kieron Lohengrin - 11-28-2017

(11-27-2017, 04:37 AM)Ayaka Wrote: Like are they also tainted and corrupted just like their void aether or is it not? Is it possible to cure them of its corruption or...?

I don't think I've seen much dishes which has voidsents meats were used on so I'm curious. Granted, I don't know much voidsent creatures so there's that.

Voidsent were once people

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Valence - 11-29-2017

(11-28-2017, 11:08 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 01:02 PM)Valence Wrote: It depends on how invasive the voidsent was.

The harmfulness of eating parts of said voidsent?  What are you basing that off of, if I may ask?

I'm not totally sure to see your point. I was answering to Gegenji's remark on the "complete and utter change over the victim's body". There is examples where the voidsent isn't doing anything to the body, at least for a while.

Quote:The one that inhabits the aether poor relative to the Coco brothers in the THM quests for example, doesn't seem to really harm its host in any meaningful way.

Wasn't it killing him?  Like, it left no lasting damage once removed, but wasn't he going to die because it was inhabiting him?

Was it killing him though?

I know that removing voidsent forcefully from their hosts always seem to end in the death of the host, thus why eorzeans generally just kill them off the bat when they can because they consider them lost already. But besides that...

The quest speaks a great deal about that if I remember correctly. I will have to check, I'm at work.

Quote:The one that is after Arya's lineage in the RDM quests left a taint that could be removed.

Some change their victims completely, like the Tonberries were, and while a cure is still being investigated, there is no way to heal them of their affliction.

But they weren't inhabited, they were cursed.  The voidsent inhabited something else.

I never said anywhere Arya was inhabited. I said she had a taint transmitted through her lineage.

I never said Tonberries were either.

But let's say that we are speaking about inhabitation though, then yes, those aren't probably the best examples then!

However, what do you call cursed exactly? Not a physical taint? A spell?

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Gegenji - 11-29-2017

(11-29-2017, 08:20 AM)Valence Wrote:

The harmfulness of eating parts of said voidsent?  What are you basing that off of, if I may ask?

I'm not totally sure to see your point. I was answering to Gegenji's remark on the "complete and utter change over the victim's body". There is examples where the voidsent isn't doing anything to the body, at least for a while.

Just to further clarify on the point I mentioned above, I think we have to determine at what point the host is truly considered "a voidsent" and not simply touched or possessed by one. The examples I think we've been using fall into three separate categories - at least by my own personal definitions. Keep in mind that this is mostly extrapolation based on what we know, and thus heavily in the realm of head-canon:

1.) Voidtouched - these are folks roughly on the level of Anya. Some sort of event has made them susceptible to becoming a conduit to the Void or hosting voidsent, but they are not actively being utilized (either not as of yet or perhaps the result of voidsent expulsion from a void-possessed individual, as mentioned below). May allow for increased thaumaturgic ability, and can be dealt with if diagnosed and treated correctly.

2.) Void-possessed - these are like the wayward Coco boy. Through either being voidtouched or some other act (summoning of a voidsent or interacting with an object holding one), the host has become actively possessed by a voidsent. Said voidsent may or may not have full mental control of the host, and removal is much more difficult and dangerous - with the potential of the host's aether being ripped back to the void with the voidsent or their mind already been eroded and suppressed too far for recovery.

3.) Voidsent - this is where you have your imps, ahriman, succubi, and the like. The voidsent has fully manifested on Hydaelyn and transformed its host into their own image, with little to no traces remaining of the former creature (be it animal or Spoken). There is no known "cure" at this point due to there being nothing to save - with what little remnants of the host's psyche likely long twisted or destroyed. The only way to deal with them at this point is to kill them.

With this breakdown, I'm postulating that the voidsent to be consumed fall under group 3, since that is the point where they are actually voidsent and not merely voidtouched or a host possessed. Were you to harvest parts from group 1 or 2, you would simply get bits of the base host - squirrel parts from a squirrel or Spoken parts from a Spoken. So, eating those would carry the same benefits and risks as eating them normally.

... Maybe they'd have a bit of a nasty aftertaste from the beginnings of the corruption? Like meat that's starting to go bad? I dunno. Blush

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - SapphireSkylines - 11-29-2017

Are you wanting to try some succulent succubus thigh? Or maybe you're craving an eyeball from an Ahriman? Well then look no further than Zhara's Voidsent Barbeque where you can get all your voidsent food needs met! From flame grilled gargoyle wings to the sweetest pudding for desert, your tastebuds will be enjoying the taste and the taint that comes with voidsent food. So what are you waiting for? Come on down to Zhara's Voidsent Barbeque now before we get forced to shut down!

RE: Can people eat voidsent meat? - Valence - 11-29-2017

(11-29-2017, 09:43 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 08:20 AM)Valence Wrote:

Just to further clarify on the point I mentioned above, I think we have to determine at what point the host is truly considered "a voidsent" and not simply touched or possessed by one. The examples I think we've been using fall into three separate categories - at least by my own personal definitions. Keep in mind that this is mostly extrapolation based on what we know, and thus heavily in the realm of head-canon:

1.) Voidtouched - these are folks roughly on the level of Anya. Some sort of event has made them susceptible to becoming a conduit to the Void or hosting voidsent, but they are not actively being utilized (either not as of yet or perhaps the result of voidsent expulsion from a void-possessed individual, as mentioned below). May allow for increased thaumaturgic ability, and can be dealt with if diagnosed and treated correctly.

2.) Void-possessed - these are like the wayward Coco boy. Through either being voidtouched or some other act (summoning of a voidsent or interacting with an object holding one), the host has become actively possessed by a voidsent. Said voidsent may or may not have full mental control of the host, and removal is much more difficult and dangerous - with the potential of the host's aether being ripped back to the void with the voidsent or their mind already been eroded and suppressed too far for recovery.

3.) Voidsent - this is where you have your imps, ahriman, succubi, and the like. The voidsent has fully manifested on Hydaelyn and transformed its host into their own image, with little to no traces remaining of the former creature (be it animal or Spoken). There is no known "cure" at this point due to there being nothing to save - with what little remnants of the host's psyche likely long twisted or destroyed. The only way to deal with them at this point is to kill them.

With this breakdown, I'm postulating that the voidsent to be consumed fall under group 3, since that is the point where they are actually voidsent and not merely voidtouched or a host possessed. Were you to harvest parts from group 1 or 2, you would simply get bits of the base host - squirrel parts from a squirrel or Spoken parts from a Spoken. So, eating those would carry the same benefits and risks as eating them normally.

... Maybe they'd have a bit of a nasty aftertaste from the beginnings of the corruption? Like meat that's starting to go bad? I dunno. Blush

That sounds like a great breakdown to me c: