Hydaelyn Role-Players
Simultaneous Logout Measures - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Simultaneous Logout Measures (/showthread.php?tid=19897)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Kage - 06-28-2017

(06-28-2017, 02:09 PM)Perth Wrote:
(06-28-2017, 08:27 AM)Virella Wrote:
(06-28-2017, 08:21 AM)Kage Wrote: If I remember correctly, Balmung and Omega are the ones with these abnormal queues.
Not really, my friends from Cerberus have been 2k queues as well and taking 2 hours to log in.

Also Gilgamesh. Y'know, the other server that's considered congested, no one likes to talk about that one. Rolleyes

From all reports of players I've spoken to, their queues during what is considered NA prime time or Balmung problems (Balmung has long queues for a period of 12 hours.) are less than an hour. Usually a cancel-proceed will get them in.

What's the queue like on Gilgamesh and when?

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Virella - 06-28-2017

(06-28-2017, 02:09 PM)Perth Wrote:
(06-28-2017, 08:27 AM)Virella Wrote:
(06-28-2017, 08:21 AM)Kage Wrote: If I remember correctly, Balmung and Omega are the ones with these abnormal queues.
Not really, my friends from Cerberus have been 2k queues as well and taking 2 hours to log in.

Also Gilgamesh. Y'know, the other server that's considered congested, no one likes to talk about that one. Rolleyes
No because the lelddit army is on Gilgamesh, and they just want to #blame Balmung

RPers are scum after all

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - AquiziTC - 06-28-2017

(06-28-2017, 02:31 PM)Val Wrote:
(06-28-2017, 02:04 PM)AquiziTC Wrote: Looks like today's (and possibly all future occurrences of this) will be happening at Noon PDT.

So really all this is doing is screwing over the people in their own time zone because those in Eastern/Central will be able to get home and log in before others and still afk out using the work around.

Or the people that get home after that but still have things to do can just do it again. I think it'll help some, but in the grand scheme of things it may do very little. Time will tell, I guess.

I think just based on the nature of time zones anyway that this would always be the case unless they did the reset at like 5PM EDT, which I feel would be a bad idea.

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Val - 06-28-2017

(06-28-2017, 02:35 PM)AquiziTC Wrote:
(06-28-2017, 02:04 PM)AquiziTC Wrote: Looks like today's (and possibly all future occurrences of this) will be happening at Noon PDT.

So really all this is doing is screwing over the people in their own time zone because those in Eastern/Central will be able to get home and log in before others and still afk out using the work around.

Or the people that get home after that but still have things to do can just do it again. I think it'll help some, but in the grand scheme of things it may do very little. Time will tell, I guess.

I think just based on the nature of time zones anyway that this would always be the case unless they did the reset at like 5PM EDT, which I feel would be a bad idea.

You're not wrong. It was always going to be an issue regardless of what time they picked, which is why I didn't think this was going to be effective. Their best bet would be to just cut the connection of whatever IP has been flagged as AFK for x amount of time, but I'm honestly not even sure if they have that capability at this point.

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Gegenji - 06-28-2017

It's funny, the noon PDT time-frame falls pretty neatly into the guesstimate range I had when discussing the timing for the forced disconnect. The initial concern was interrupting RP events and the like, obviously, but I ultimately assumed that the best time for SE to do this thing would be in the "noon to early afternoon" time window. With the cutoff being around 4pm at the latest (EST preferably, since I'm EST, of course).

The reasoning for it was pretty simple. The further you get into the evening, the more likely you're going to be dealing with people who are... y'know, actually playing as opposed to idling. The kids are home from school and the adults are home from work - at least, if you consider the normal school and work schedules (your 9-5s and whatnot). It kinda sucks for the people with alternative work schedules (graveyard shifts and the like), but then again... they're most likely to actually be playing and can just reconnect afterward.

Thus, it should hopefully catch most of the idlers who set things up before going to class or work. As mentioned, it won't keep them from coming right back and doing it when they're home... but I guess it's a start?

Just check with EU friends. They are not being DCed.

Reset is not all at the same time across all datacenters, as some doomsayers have been screaming.

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Gegenji - 06-28-2017

(06-28-2017, 02:47 PM)Virella Wrote: Just check with EU friends. They are not being DCed.

Reset is not all at the same time across all datacenters, as some doomsayers have been screaming.

... That was a concern? I was under the impression that the time of the disconnect would be unique to the datacenter and the part of the globe it's covering.

(06-28-2017, 02:49 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(06-28-2017, 02:47 PM)Virella Wrote: Just check with EU friends. They are not being DCed.

... That was a concern? I was under the impression that the time of the disconnect would be unique to the datacenter and the part of the globe it's covering.
You don't want to know how mad my EU friends were "Ermgerd reset during our primetime cuz they only care about US/JP"

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Unnamed Mercenary - 06-28-2017

But we wouldn't put it past SE to do them all at once. ...at least based on DC's timezone is acceptable. ...until people wait for after the force-kick and remotely login after.

(06-28-2017, 02:50 PM)Virella Wrote:

You don't want to know how mad my EU friends were "Ermgerd reset during our primetime cuz they only care about US/JP"

Not to be "that guy" but if it's a US server, why would they care about the EU people they're disrupting? I get that it sucks for them but there's EU servers for a reason.

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Kage - 06-28-2017

(06-28-2017, 02:39 PM)Val Wrote:
(06-28-2017, 02:35 PM)AquiziTC Wrote:

You're not wrong. It was always going to be an issue regardless of what time they picked, which is why I didn't think this was going to be effective. Their best bet would be to just cut the connection of whatever IP has been flagged as AFK for x amount of time, but I'm honestly not even sure if they have that capability at this point.
It's at least 'seemingly' more effective than at 7am PDT like some people wanted. It wouldn't do much.

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Teadrinker - 06-28-2017

(06-28-2017, 02:51 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

But we wouldn't put it past SE to do them all at once. ...at least based on DC's timezone is acceptable. ...until people wait for after the force-kick and remotely login after.

Dingdingding.

This ain't solving anything.

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Nebbs - 06-28-2017

So this is a regular thing now "As such, we’ll be instituting a temporary measure that will log all characters out simultaneously across all Worlds on a data center once a day."

Even though it is the worst time for me, slap bang in the middle of my play time, and I expect there will be massive queues to get back in, it will make housing available again.

Thank you SE, it's a half way measure but it is better than nothing.

(06-28-2017, 03:12 PM)Nebbs Wrote: So this is a regular thing now "As such, we’ll be instituting a temporary measure that will log all characters out simultaneously across all Worlds on a data center once a day."

Even though it is the worst time for me, slap bang in the middle of my play time, and I expect there will be massive queues to get back in, it will make housing available again.

Lol stop acting so dramatic. You're EU as well, our queues times haven't been that horrible compared to US people.

(06-28-2017, 03:12 PM)Nebbs Wrote: So this is a regular thing now "As such, we’ll be instituting a temporary measure that will log all characters out simultaneously across all Worlds on a data center once a day."

Yeah you're EU playing on a US server. It sucks but the times they're going to aim for are when the US players aren't busy. I'd expect the same for a EU server dropping during someone else's prime time.