Hydaelyn Role-Players
Simultaneous Logout Measures - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Simultaneous Logout Measures (/showthread.php?tid=19897)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Gegenji - 06-28-2017

... Maybe they'll have to add more data centers? And straight up relocate some of the heftier Worlds onto them?

Like, we have the Aether data center for all of the US, right? Maybe we need to have one for East Coast and one for West Coast with, like... Balmung on one, Gilgamesh on the other, and divvying up the rest of the Worlds between them for an even split of population?

I dunno.

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Crystal Chronicler - 06-28-2017

(06-28-2017, 09:11 AM)SicketySix Wrote:
(06-28-2017, 09:08 AM)Crystal Chronicler Wrote: Wouldn't a better solution be to add more servers? If the population is so congested that even low pop worlds are full, maybe add more worlds.

Mm, yeah but there's already quite a few prettu much unused servers. That would only increase the number.

Which ones are unused? I'd transfer there in a heartbeat if it means I can get away from the massive amount of people. I've been playing an alt on Goblin and I still see a small queue to get in during peak hours.

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Kage - 06-28-2017

Adding more data centers? I doubt it. You could say that this is in part a largely player population issue that is exploded by the fact that SE didn't FUCKing. Close. Balmung. when it should have.

They're not going to add more servers when the issue is compounded on just a few because they're far too populated. Why don't the players just move to the ones not populated? (Corporate rhetoric, we all know why).

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Crystal Chronicler - 06-28-2017

(06-28-2017, 09:13 AM)Gegenji Wrote: ... Maybe they'll have to add more data centers? And straight up relocate some of the heftier Worlds onto them?

Like, we have the Aether data center for all of the US, right? Maybe we need to have one for East Coast and one for West Coast with, like... Balmung on one, Gilgamesh on the other, and divvying up the rest of the Worlds between them for an even split of population?

I dunno.

I like that idea. Ever since they moved the data centers for NA, I've been experiencing massive lag spikes that I never had before. It really breaks immersion when people start blinking around the screen or actions don't trigger for 5 seconds after you press them.

That and even Gilgamesh people are reporting that they're barely ever getting long queues (they usually get ones where you can just cancel-through), even during what NA players consider 'prime time' aka 7pm - 10pm pacific

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Seren - 06-28-2017

I'm curious -when- this log out will be happening. Since Balmungs queue starts so earlier, we definitely have the risk of people waiting in queue, getting kicked, just to wait in queue again if they aren't doing it in the early hours. Most of the AFKing happens in the work day, so it'd have to be then to deal with the issue.

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Skae - 06-28-2017

(06-28-2017, 09:13 AM)Gegenji Wrote: ... Maybe they'll have to add more data centers? And straight up relocate some of the heftier Worlds onto them?

I dunno.

There are already two NA data centers - Aether and Primal.

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Gegenji - 06-28-2017

(06-28-2017, 09:17 AM)Kage Wrote: Adding more data centers? I doubt it. You could say that this is in part a largely player population issue that is exploded by the fact that SE didn't FUCKing. Close. Balmung. when it should have.

They're not going to add more servers when the issue is compounded on just a few because they're far too populated. Why don't the players just move to the ones not populated? (Corporate rhetoric, we all know why).

The idea isn't just to add more Worlds/servers. It's to split the existing ones into new data centers like they did with the US/EU one. I mean, maybe they would add a couple new Worlds if there's some sort of "minimum number of Worlds" requirement for a data center... but the general idea is that there'd be a whole new data center being used for not only those worlds, but for their cross-server instances and the like. And a separate "staging server" for people waiting to get loaded onto their Worlds.

If my understanding of how it all works is right (it very likely might not be, Unnamed will probably swoop in and point in all the things I've got wrong here at some point or another)... then not only would that help the queues to login, but it'd also help the dungeon queues. Stop the situations like what I saw on... Sunday? Where a near instant to five minute queue for Palace of the Dead for a single character turned into a 30+ minute wait and at least a 5 minute wait for a full four-man team.

(06-28-2017, 09:34 AM)Skae Wrote:

I dunno.

There are already two NA data centers - Aether and Primal.

... A third one then. Aether, Primal, and... I dunno. Eikon? Something.

Or at least see how feasible it would be to transfer a heftier World from one to the other. Move Balmung/Gilgamesh to Primal or something. Just so the super-bloat isn't all confined on one data center.

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Greenley - 06-28-2017

Can't say I'm too thrilled with this development or consider it the best means, but I suppose if it lessens the queues for the people on Balmung I'm willing to be aggravated once a day if it's only temporary.

If nothing else I'm curious to see if this will actually work. I recall on FFXI that after maintenance, the bots and AFKers were right back on the servers within minutes. By and large they seemed to be the sorts of people who would / could simply come back just long enough to log back in. I couldn't say if this is the case with Balmung but I'm certainly curious.

Having a new data center may help with instances but it doesn't help login queues.

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Blythe - 06-28-2017

(06-28-2017, 09:43 AM)Greenley Wrote: Can't say I'm too thrilled with this development or consider it the best means, but I suppose if it lessens the queues for the people on Balmung I'm willing to be aggravated once a day if it's only temporary.

If nothing else I'm curious to see if this will actually work. I recall on FFXI that after maintenance, the bots and AFKers were right back on the servers within minutes. By and large they seemed to be the sorts of people who would / could simply come back just long enough to log back in. I couldn't say if this is the case with Balmung but I'm certainly curious.

Most of the people that I know that have done this to circumvent the AFK timer normally do it because they don't want to wait several hours after they come home from work. Based off that, most of them won't be able to log on until they get home near prime time. For those that don't have work as an excuse... well... I don't know. 

As for the bots, considering Balmung's been locked, that should hopefully be a non-issue on getting into the server.

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Teadrinker - 06-28-2017

Everyday it gets harder and harder to believe this is a subscription MMO.

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Cato - 06-28-2017

To be fair, whilst Square Enix could have handled things better to avoid this mess in the first place at least some of the blame needs to be thrust upon players themselves. I also recall the biggest MMO on the market having congestion issues and lengthy queues immediately before and after expansion launches.

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Nero - 06-28-2017

I'll preface this by saying that this was ultimately a necessary measure (although if they don't time it right, it'll also be hilariously inadequate), but I'm also against blaming the players because blaming the players imply that the players have been given the adequate tools to handle this as a community issue, when players demonstrably have not received any such thing for the ~4 years this game has been released.

"Alright, our sledgehammer put several holes into the walls, but at least that damned fly is dead!"

You know what's really jarring? Watching the FFXIV NoClip documentary and then waking up to this kind of news.

On the one hand, you have the amazingly well-oiled machine that is the FFXIV ARR team rebuilding an MMO in 2 short years while the other team maintains 1.0. Hearing the difficulties and success in intense project management to get an acceptable product out in a very limited amount of time, the amount of organization and dedication that must have taken.

And then things like this happen. Server issues that have existed for years finally reaching critical mass during an important time like an expansion launch. The sheer lack of planning and foresight.

RE: Simultaneous Logout Measures - Valence - 06-28-2017

(06-28-2017, 09:08 AM)Crystal Chronicler Wrote: Wouldn't a better solution be to add more servers? If the population is so congested that even low pop worlds are full, maybe add more worlds.

Half if not more of the NA servers are underpopulated (compared to EU, that has a lot less servers but most of them are well populated). Adding servers when some can welcome a lot of players is certainly not what SE or any logical sense dictates to do. This is also why they added one for Europe, because they do'nt really have underpopulated worlds.

This is also why they bring incentives for people to use free transfers to those worlds. And yes, the 4.0 congestion on overpopulated worlds and the huges queues are part of those incentives.

It's very pragmatic.