Hydaelyn Role-Players
Feeling a Little Frustrated - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Feeling a Little Frustrated (/showthread.php?tid=17136)

Pages: 1 2

Feeling a Little Frustrated - MaverickMissy - 09-01-2016

Hey guys,

So... over the course of the last few days I've been peeking my head in at different FCs. But no FC that I've really looked at has what I'm looking for. Like a voice client that a majority of members actually use. I've noticed quite a few who don't have a voice client much at all don't raid. And raiding is something I really want to do. Progression content like dungeons, raids, boss fights, etc. Nothing hard core, but I'd like to have fun running that content like these people do:

[youtube]_H0LiC8pKp0[/youtube]

Lastly, and this isn't a big thing, is if the FC had some emphasis on RP. Like, even if that's just a linkshell for the members that like to RP. But it wouldn't have been that big of a deal, since I have no problem just networking.

I checked out 12 different FCs and none of them met even the top two standards. :/ 

So my roomie and I made our own FC and it took us 30 minutes to get the signatures we needed to form it. And now we're trying to get it up and running properly. Dodgy

I mean, was I just not looking hard enough? Was I overthinking it? I just don't know and the frustration is killing me. Cry

RE: Feeling a Little Frustrated - Virella - 09-01-2016

> Come to Roleplaying server
> Excepts to raid
> ????

Do like what everyone does who's a bit of a serious raider. Have a RP char on Balmung, and a raiding char on another server.

You will find some raiders here, but most are super casual about it. I'd strongly suggest making another character on a raiding server if you wish to get into /serious/ raiding. Surely, you might find those 7 rare gems, on Balmung, who are having the same wishes as you. But honestly, save yourself the headache, and make a raiding char on another server, and keep one for roleplay.

What I did back in ARR, could highly recommend it, even for semi casual raiding. Balmung is sadly enough not a raiding server by any means.

RE: Feeling a Little Frustrated - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-01-2016

If you were only searching on RPC, I'm afraid we are more of a RP-oriented site. Most of the Free Companies and Linkshells listed are RP-focused, and we don't get anywhere close to the full spectrum of Balmung-based groups available, many who do have the progression content interest you're looking for. Many of those PvE FCs though don't exactly run RP plots. They be be RP-friendly, but few focus on both and have members focused on both, in my experience.

Most of the raiding groups I used to participate in were either PvE FCs that were RP-friendly or we FCs with a lot of active members and members were on their own to coordinate raiding/forming statics. There are some FCs that have a focus on progression content, but it's usually pick one or the other.

If you're looking for a consistent group, it takes a lot of work. I've seen far more RPer-based statics that were handled in Linkshells or private chat groups than in Free Companies.

RE: Feeling a Little Frustrated - Kilieit - 09-01-2016

As far as I (a non-raider) can tell, a lot of people on Balmung raid in a static, not an FC. This has an advantage because it usually means a recruit only needs 1 open LS spot, and you can be in up to 8 LS's. You can only be in one FC, and if most people on a server would rather be in an RP FC or a social FC (like I think most people on Balmung would), then it limits raiding FCs' recruitment options severely.

Keep an eye on the party finder. Or here. You see stuff like this all the time:

[Image: 8bb8cc5a1d.png]

Sometimes they'll say if they have a Mumble, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, or Discord, and also their expectations for use ("must listen but may not speak", "must have working mic", etc).

Personally, I became a lot happier about my choice of FC once I stopped seeing it as something that had to be the centre of all my gameplay, and started seeing it as somewhere to be happy with people I basically like even if I don't play the game alongside them all that often, and to get access to company actions/housing/etc.

I can be in up to 8 linkshells. I get the rest of everything from those (and my carefully organised friends list).

RE: Feeling a Little Frustrated - MaverickMissy - 09-01-2016

(09-01-2016, 06:17 PM)Virella Wrote: > Come to Roleplaying server
> Excepts to raid
> ????

Do like what everyone does who's a bit of a serious raider. Have a RP char on Balmung, and a raiding char on another server.

You will find some raiders here, but most are super casual about it. I'd strongly suggest making another character on a raiding server if you wish to get into /serious/ raiding. Surely, you might find those 7 rare gems, on Balmung, who are having the same wishes as you. But honestly, save yourself the headache, and make a raiding char on another server, and keep one for roleplay.

What I did back in ARR, could highly recommend it, even for semi casual raiding. Balmung is sadly enough not a raiding server by any means.

I'm pretty sure I said I wasn't looking for serious hardcore raiding. Just people who have fun with it like in the video and do progressive content. I don't think hoping for an FC that does progressive content... you know, actually playing the game... is as ludicrous as you seem to make it out to be.
Some people are on the RP server to have a large RP community to RP with on the side while they do game content. I mean, maybe that's not what you do but I think it's a little disingenuous to think that everyone on Balmung is just all about RP all day err'day.

(09-01-2016, 06:40 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: If you were only searching on RPC, I'm afraid we are more of a RP-oriented site. Most of the Free Companies and Linkshells listed are RP-focused, and we don't get anywhere close to the full spectrum of Balmung-based groups available, many who do have the progression content interest you're looking for. Many of those PvE FCs though don't exactly run RP plots. They be be RP-friendly, but few focus on both and have members focused on both, in my experience.

Most of the raiding groups I used to participate in were either PvE FCs that were RP-friendly or we FCs with a lot of active members and members were on their own to coordinate raiding/forming statics. There are some FCs that have a focus on progression content, but it's usually pick one or the other.

If you're looking for a consistent group, it takes a lot of work. I've seen far more RPer-based statics that were handled in Linkshells or private chat groups than in Free Companies.

No, I wasn't just looking on RPC. I know better than that. It was a place I looked, but it wasn't the only place I looked.

I'm okay with an FC that doesn't have an RP plot. I feel like if I try to jam my character into an FC's RP plot wedge it could end up like those wooden shape puzzles for babies.

I guess I'll just have to see if I can find a progression-focused FC that I like.

RE: Feeling a Little Frustrated - Warren Castille - 09-01-2016

To nitpick:

"Progression" is a capital-letter word that is very closely tied to raiding in FFXIV. There ARE some RP FCs that also push into the raiding atmosphere, but considering the requirements of Savage content (normal mode isn't ever referred to as Capital-P-Progression) there's not a ton of overlap between light-hearted fanfiction and dedicated milking of every point of DPS and precision.

Worse, those groups that do exist are already slotted and filled with people familiar with the progression cycle.

RE: Feeling a Little Frustrated - CptCrunchwrap - 09-01-2016

(09-01-2016, 06:17 PM)Virella Wrote: > Come to Roleplaying server
> Excepts to raid
> ????

The thing about Balmung is that it isn't actually an RP server. It just happens to have a high concentration of people who RP. If everyone who was on Balmung was an RPer then there wouldn't be anyone leveling up or running dungeons. There wouldn't be a point. I mean, you'd see more of like what's in Ul'dah with people just standing around RPing. But you see people running around, doing story content, leveling up, running dungeons, doing raids, etc.

As someone else said, there are FCs that focus on raiding content and are RP friendly. But it seems to me that she's looking for something along those lines. Based on what she said, she wants a social FC that has a focus on raiding and is RP friendly. Did something get lost in translation there? Because I feel like I might be one of the few who didn't jump to conclusions here in what she meant about raiding.

RE: Feeling a Little Frustrated - Aurou - 09-01-2016

You just weren't looking hard enough. They are out there! I know I've encountered a few, and was even in one that might fit the bill once upon a time. This isn't the place to find one, however. Groups that are more PvE focused probably wouldn't be advertising here and their RP is more of a loosely pulled together RPLS on the side. Groups that are more RP with some PvE nights every now and again probably wouldn't even advertise the raiding element here because, again, that isn't the focus of this site.

More power to you if you want to start one! But with your top requirements being Progression and voice chat, with maybe a little RP mixed in, I don't know that you'll get any bites from here.

(09-01-2016, 07:05 PM)CptCrunchwrap Wrote: The thing about Balmung is that it isn't actually an RP server. It just happens to have a high concentration of people who RP. If everyone who was on Balmung was an RPer then there wouldn't be anyone leveling up or running dungeons.

I wouldn't underestimate people's want for glamour. Back when I did raid in progression content (Second Coil before nerfs), I distinctly remember the group really pushing to clear T7 for that healer coat. So that it could be worn to events to look nice.

Since so much pretty gear is level-locked, I'd say most people are going to run content for items at the least. They may not like it, or may stop when their outfit's complete, but it's still done. (Not to mention the relic grind for other items some may deem pretty).

RE: Feeling a Little Frustrated - Nodem - 09-01-2016

(09-01-2016, 07:13 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(09-01-2016, 07:05 PM)CptCrunchwrap Wrote: The thing about Balmung is that it isn't actually an RP server. It just happens to have a high concentration of people who RP. If everyone who was on Balmung was an RPer then there wouldn't be anyone leveling up or running dungeons.

I wouldn't underestimate people's want for glamour. Back when I did raid in progression content (Second Coil before nerfs), I distinctly remember the group really pushing to clear T7 for that healer coat. So that it could be worn to events to look nice.

Since so much pretty gear is level-locked, I'd say most people are going to run content for items at the least. They may not like it, or may stop when their outfit's complete, but it's still done. (Not to mention the relic grind for other items some may deem pretty).

You forgot people's want to learn more lore, and see more about Eorzea as a whole too. I also met a few people who only did up to x level for gear/access to areas.

(09-01-2016, 07:09 PM)Aurou Wrote: You just weren't looking hard enough.  They are out there!  I know I've encountered a few, and was even in one that might fit the bill once upon a time.  This isn't the place to find one, however.  Groups that are more PvE focused probably wouldn't be advertising here and their RP is more of a loosely pulled together RPLS on the side.  Groups that are more RP with some PvE nights every now and again probably wouldn't even advertise the raiding element here because, again, that isn't the focus of this site.

More power to you if you want to start one!  But with your top requirements being Progression and voice chat, with maybe a little RP mixed in, I don't know that you'll get any bites from here.

And I'm completely okay with that. I've kind of come to find that pushing my character into an RP FC takes away elements of the game I love, and thats running content with potential friends. So as much as I love RP, I'm willing to do it through networking instead of through an RP-oriented FC. 

I wasn't really looking for a PvE oriented FC on RPC. I checked to see if there were any that balanced the two shortly after getting on Balmung, but after I pretty much figured out on my own that it was one or the other, I started figuring out what were important elements I wanted in an FC that would make me feel happy about being there. I mean, I don't even care if it's "serious" raiding or not. I just want to have fun doing content with people. That's all.

RE: Feeling a Little Frustrated - CptCrunchwrap - 09-01-2016

(09-01-2016, 07:19 PM)Nodem Wrote:
(09-01-2016, 07:13 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

You forgot people's want to learn more lore, and see more about Eorzea as a whole too. I also met a few people who only did up to x level for gear/access to areas.

Again, that's not everyone. There are a lot of places to learn lore from besides running story content. Wikis, Tumblr, other members, lore books, google, etc. Hell, that's how I learned the majority of what I know regarding lore. The rest I learned from the story content because I genuinely want to play through the game. Not just up to a certain point because it suits my character.

Balmung isn't an official RP server, just a regular server with a high population full of RP-enthusiastic players. Thats not really a fact you can ignore by just saying "these roleplayers do this stuff too". 

If someone has even the smallest interest in RP, they're going to be either on Balmung or Gilgamesh. Even if RP is not their main focus for playing the game. 

*Mod edit happened to assist with cleanup of the thread. 

People still do both. It's just....not really FC-oriented in practice? At least not for everyone. I think that's the point I'm trying to get across at least.

I've been in FCs where there's a lot of activity. They were primarily that way because they had large groups of friends hanging out, not really from content or RP. Likewise, I've been in PvE-only and RP-only FCs as well. They all exist.

(09-01-2016, 07:50 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: People still do both. It's just....not really FC-oriented in practice? At least not for everyone. I think that's the point I'm trying to get across at least.

I've been in FCs where there's a lot of activity. They were primarily that way because they had large groups of friends hanging out, not really from content or RP. Likewise, I've been in PvE-only and RP-only FCs as well. They all exist.

Then I guess it's just a matter of finding one of the former that I like.