Hydaelyn Role-Players
Beyond Diasppointed - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Beyond Diasppointed (/showthread.php?tid=15756)

Pages: 1 2 3

Beyond Diasppointed - SapphireSkylines - 04-04-2016

I've been on Balmung server for maybe a little over a week and I can't really say that I'm too happy with how things have gone. Walk up RPs usually end in people just wanting me to go away, I tried joining two FCs, one flat out rejected me for very cryptic reasons that I couldn't understand, and the other just never bothered to try replying back to me. I like to think that I'm a very experienced RPer, having done it for six years on multiple MMOs and forums. I've tried finding connections/FCs/Linkshells on here but so far only one opportunity I've found on here has been fruitful.

I started roleplaying on WoW and while it took me awhile, I did manage to get into one of the top RP guilds on that server, at least at that time. When I started roleplaying with them and meeting new people, my roleplay connections and friends began to sky rocket. I constantly got compliments on my RP style and character, which I was very confident with. I then became an officer to that guild and was on the officer board for two years, during that time span I had become extremely popular and everyone treated me like I was special. It almost felt like I was a celebrity on that server. Eventually though, all good things had to come to an end and that guild disbanded due to creative differences.

Since then I've been in RP group after RP group, game after game, and I ended up on FF, I think I joined maybe last year on a different server with my boyfriend. There was a small RP group I was in, with my boyfriend but most of those people preferred to raid and PvE than RP so the RP eventually died, so we both decided to transfer to Balmung to check it out. And I had really high expectations joining... I thought I'd get into a good FC, get RP quickly, and do really well since people would see my "pure awesomeness" but the reality is that I'm just a new character that no one knows, and people usually want to avoid. And because of that... I just feel like a pile of shit.

RE: Beyond Diasppointed - SicketySix - 04-04-2016

I've actually tried adding you last night and this morning, both.
Blame SE for their stupid programing of the friendslists and in-game mail.

So it's entirely possible others have reached out to you, just not able to get ahold of you. Be patient, RP will come. It always does! Granted, if you are playing a lore friendly character.

EDIT: Also, that being said, you are playing a Lala. Which, for some odd reason most people never take to seriously. A mod here by the name of GhostlyMaiden is the most successful Lala RPer I've seen.

RE: Beyond Diasppointed - SapphireSkylines - 04-04-2016

I usually try to stick to lore as much as I can, but I know I'll make mistakes. I'll try to add you on here. I'm sorry the friends list system has been screwy in-game. I think you can only add people if they're online.

Edit: Yeah I usually play short characters. My character on WoW was a gnome and I know the pain, most time those characters aren't taken seriously... one reason why I also made my Miqo'te because I wasn't sure how lalafells were treated on this game.

RE: Beyond Diasppointed - A'mahri - 04-04-2016

Eugh..Sounds like your experiences have been pretty rough - and I apologize for that. Some people can be nasty. Sad
I've probably failed to see if you've made any post on the connection forum, but feel free to add me if you like ;o;.

RE: Beyond Diasppointed - SicketySix - 04-04-2016

(04-04-2016, 10:18 AM)SapphireSkylines Wrote: I usually try to stick to lore as much as I can, but I know I'll make mistakes. I'll try to add you on here. I'm sorry the friends list system has been screwy.

Edit: Yeah I usually play short characters. My character on WoW was a gnome and I know the pain, most time those characters aren't taken seriously... one reason why I also made my Miqo'te because I wasn't sure how lalafells were treated on this game.

Ohh it's not your fault. It's the system SE uses for thirin-game thingies. For instance, I cannot send you in-game mail, nor add you to friendslist unless you are online. So if we keep missing each other, there's no way to tell the other person you was looking for them.

RE: Beyond Diasppointed - GhostlyMaiden - 04-04-2016

(04-04-2016, 10:10 AM)SapphireSkylines Wrote: I started roleplaying on WoW and while it took me awhile, I did manage to get into one of the top RP guilds on that server, at least at that time. When I started roleplaying with them and meeting new people, my roleplay connections and friends began to sky rocket.

Based on this, I would think you would understand that it takes time to make connections. Yes, i'm sorry that you haven't had the greatest start, but know it isn't all like that.

Can't completely rely on "Making Connections", have to branch out (which i'm sure you know already). If you make an effort to appear more in events, coming in the QS and enjoying some walk-up RP, you'll start making some good friends.

Someone I know didn't go through the OOC process of getting invited into a guild, he RPed his way in. Granted, I know it doesn't work like this for all guilds, but it's certainly a nice touch.

RE: Beyond Diasppointed - JudicialHunter - 04-04-2016

I'm going to be the one who plays devil's advocate here.

Just because you're very popular in one game doesn't necessarily translate to any other games. I was popular among an RP guild back on WoW, too - people often wanted to RP with me and my alts. It was nice. Eventually drama split everyone up, but that's beside the point. I came to FFXIV and I was a nobody.

Admittedly, I had a foot in the door because I'm good friends with GhostlyMaiden IRL and I knew what I needed to do to find RP and everything. But it wasn't a matter of that alone. Simply and bluntly put, if people don't like your character, they're not going to RP with you. (I mean that in general, by the way. Not necessarily calling you/your character out. CLARIFICATION. Words are hard on this here internet.)

I'm not saying that's the cause - don't get me wrong. It might be because you're a Lalafell and people don't take that seriously. It might be because your character doesn't fit into their story. All my connections have come from meeting and interacting with people at the right time in the right place. It's really pure luck. My first character here, Rihxo, was made to be easy to find connections with. If you dive in with a dark and gritty character (for example) as your first one, you're going to have a lot tougher of a time.

That's my two cents on it, anyway. I had alts on WoW people loved and some hated. They were scrapped in favor of finding formulas that work. People sometimes hate the new stuff you have to bring to the table, and it's not even necessarily your fault.

TL;DR: It may be you or it may be other people. You have to find a happy medium because sometimes your character just won't mesh well with others in that world.

This got really long and I'm so sorry

@Mahrigold: I have a post on the connections forum. http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=15748. Feel free to check it out, but sure, I'll add you.

RE: Beyond Diasppointed - Caspar - 04-04-2016

I've made quite a few rp friends, but it can be challenging to go against the against the grain. Sometimes it feels like a struggle given my character is neither equipped with a tail or beard. Don't despair! If you're talented enough of a writer, show it and RP will come to you. Just last night I got two tells for RP and was in the middle of a fun walk up, so even as hesitant to approach as I am, doing it once in a while may have you submerged in more RP than you know what to do with.

Thai being said, it sucks joining a new community. It feels like nobody really gets what you're about, you're used to having RP come to you because you had a reputation, and playing with strangers renders them so subdued and guarded you're never really quite sure if they even want to RP in the first place. You go from a vet with dozens of stories under their belt to an utter nobody who has to hog tie and wrangle even one person to play with.

Speaking of which if you needed more to play with, I would be willing to give it a shot depending on what kind of RP you're looking for.

RE: Beyond Diasppointed - Virella - 04-04-2016

If you got declined twice in a row, your character might simply not be lore adhering, and yes, if you're roleplaying the typical cutesy wutesy Lalafell, while they are totally legit, most people will flat out avoid you (I admit, I'm among those individuals myself, because it simply isn't my cup of tea).

It is hard to start out in any new roleplay community, and I just ended up having to dig for folk myself as well, and those folk ended up introducing me to a lot of others in return. It is a matter of running into the right people, visiting events ect. Yes it can be frustrating if things don't go instantly the way you wanted, despite doing effort for it.

I came here completely alone. As an EU player. I knew no one. Yet it worked out for me. I loathe to say it, but making a Making Connections thread may work, it did for me, as well showing up at events. Runestone and Grindstone for example can be great for meeting new folk.

(04-04-2016, 10:40 AM)Virella Wrote: If you got declined twice in a row, your character might simply not be lore adhering, and yes, if you're roleplaying the typical cutesy wutesy Lalafell, while they are totally legit, most people will flat out avoid you (I admit, I'm among those individuals myself, because it simply isn't my cup of tea).
I figure that assumption says more about the situation than anything else really. Even if she wasn't, it's not hard to see people jumping to conclusions.

RE: Beyond Diasppointed - desmond28 - 04-04-2016

I'd like to say this is an isolated scenario, but sadly it isn't. These topics and experiences do come up from time to time and I wonder how many keep silent about it and just give up rather than talking it through here. When things like this happen, whether it be seemingly or for real, it can sap the joy of RP instantaneously and it is difficult to get that joy back.

I can completely empathize with Sapphire since I have experienced similar things myself and almost gave up entirely. That's when I came here to this site and met some great RPers. But it took 2-3 years to get there. I know sometimes hanging in there can be exhausting mentally, but... hang in there!

Sapphire's a solid RPer and her boyfriend, too! I have confidence in them! =)

@GhostlyMaiden - Yes, it does take awhile, and I'll admit, this time around I think I am being a bit impatient, especially since I've only been here for a short time. The Quicksand is really hard for me to get into since it's usually wall after wall of text, but I've tried RPing in there before and maybe I need to make a better effort. So far I've attended one event, and it was much like the Quicksand - wall after wall of text, people preferring to be in their own circle, etc. But I guess it all depends on luck, there isn't much else to it. And that's actually how I got into my WoW guild, I RPed with them for awhile until they asked me if I wanted to join them. I think that's the best way to join a guild/FC and I wish more groups did it that way.

@JudicialHunter - It could be my character, it could be the people who are where ever I am that are just uninterested, I don't know. I like to think I have a good character, but she's still very new and could use some development. She's not like my WoW character who's had plenty of development and is five years old. And I've done the same thing, I've scrapped characters because they just weren't likeable enough or didn't fit anywhere. I really hope I don't have to do that to Liara, but if I have to go back to the drawing board, I will. But I'm not going to jump to conclusions though since I haven't had a whole lot of time to see if Liara works anywhere.

@Caspar - Thanks!

Rping your way into a guild is really effective. I got a nice spot just by getting to know the right people and purposely rping in public near places they commonly hung out. I had aimed deliberately for them even before I made my character, having looked up characters I thought were well written and interesting on the wiki. Though quite a few are spread out over the server now, it did get my foot in the door.

@Virella - I actually should've cleared things up a bit. I applied to those FCs before Liara was on Balmung. Previously I had a miqo'te named Y'zhara, who I still have that I applied with on both guilds I believe. I think I might've mentioned both characters on one of the apps though because she had just transferred. But Y'zhara was the character who got rejected... if she was even the reason why I was, I don't know why. I asked, but they really beat around the bush. But maybe one or both characters aren't lore viable, even if I thought they were. I know I'm not a lore encyclopedia, but I like to think I'm knowledgable.