Hydaelyn Role-Players
Dragoon Lore - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Dragoon Lore (/showthread.php?tid=15124)

Dragoon Lore - Larehawk - 02-01-2016

Hello! I am making this thread just to ask, pretty much, if anyone could tell me a quick and easy-to-understand (Or, not quick and hard-to-understand) rundown on Dragoon lore? I know a bit, but since my character is a Dragoon, I wanna know, like, ALL of it. Feel me?

RE: Dragoon Lore - Rusty Knight - 02-01-2016

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=13219&highlight=dragoon+lore

This thread when you filter through it has some good content and links worth reading. Have a filter through the search bar for some more threads similar.

My question is, is your character a dragoon (IE has killed a dragon) or a Dragoon (The elite knights of Ishgard who can leap vast distances onto the dragons midflight)?

Its also worth considering the race/background, with very few exceptions (EG Warrior of Light and a couple of lore fragments) Dragoons are Ishgardian Elezen or Hyur. Orphans tend to be prime material.

Best of luck, the search bar is your friend on this one.

RE: Dragoon Lore - Sounsyy - 02-01-2016

(02-01-2016, 03:15 PM)Larehawk Wrote: Hello! I am making this thread just to ask, pretty much, if anyone could tell me a quick and easy-to-understand (Or, not quick and hard-to-understand) rundown on Dragoon lore? I know a bit, but since my character is a Dragoon, I wanna know, like, ALL of it. Feel me?

In Ishgard, there are two types of Dragoons: the Azure Dragoon and the Order of the Knights Dragoon. The lore behind each varies slightly, so you should be aware of the distinction first and foremost.

The Azure Dragoon

The Azure Dragoon is a very specific dragoon of the Order chosen by the Eye of Nidhogg. With one exception (our character) only one Azure Dragoon is chosen every generation. These chosen lead the Order of the Knights Dragoon in the fight against Dravania using the power of the Eye of Nidhogg, an Ishgardian relic dating back 1000 years. The Eye was prized from the Celestial Wyrm, Nidhogg, by Haldrath, the first Dragoon and son of Thordan, last king of Ishgard.

The official story taught by the Orthodox Halonic Church is that Thordan and his Knights Twelve united the Ishgardians and led his people to the lone peak adrift in the Sea of Clouds where Ishgard rests today. They were set upon by Nidhogg, King of the Dravanians. Nidhogg bewitched Thordan's knights and they threw him into the chasm, whereupon Haldrath was able to break the dragon's spell and guided by Halone, defeat Nidhogg.

Now... that's not exactly how it actually went down...
Show Content

Moving on, these Azure Dragoons each live on as legends to the Ishgardians, many being elevated to Sainthood for their deeds. As such, these incredibly rare and important figures to Ishgardian society are usually deemed taboo to roleplay. Prior to Heavensward, this was a huge point of contention to the roleplaying community, as many RPers wished to be able to use jump attacks and wear the Drachen Mail. Well, good news is that both things are acceptable and not limited to the Azure Dragoon. These things are, however, limited to the most elite of the Order of the Knights Dragoon.

Show Content

The Order of the Knights Dragoon

The Order of the Knights Dragoon is a group of elite Ishgardian knights who spend rigorous hours training to fight dragons. In order to be eligible, you must prove to the Holy See that you have personally slain a "genuine dragon," such as a wyrm or wyvern. This does not include dragons who were once people (aevis, syricta, diresaur) or unintelligent dragons or monsters under the control of dragon magicks (drakes, biasts, dragonflies, tyrannosaurs, etc). Most of these genuine dragons have names and reputations. To prove your kill, you must bring back a portion of the carcass.

Dominiac Wrote:The only way to gain the power of nobility is through a truly noble display of courage. There's one simple way to do that - slay a monstrous, ancient dragon. There are some feats that cannot be ignored.

Once you have slain a dragon, there is a certain amount of esteem and merit that often can elevate your caste to nobility in Ishgard. At the very least, you can now submit yourself for training in the Order of the Knights Dragoon. There are a series of trials one must first overcome before becoming a true dragoon, and only the elite among the elite dragoons go on to learn aerial maneuvers infamous in dragoon combat.

That said, playing a "dragoon" from the Order of the Knights Dragoon is considered lore abiding by the RP community, as anyone can join the Order if they pass the trials. They are accepting of lowborn, orphan, highborn, etc - though they do appear to prefer highborn applicants.

Show Content

In the words of Frandelont Raimdelle, "Know thy quarry, know thyself." So I've added a rather large section on dragon lore!

Show Content

Now, what's going to happen to Dragoons after the events of 3.3?
Show Content

Hope this helps! ^^ Here are some other links to relevant Dragoon lore threads. Lemme know if you have more questions!

-Inner Dragon Discussion
-Dragon Blood Transformation Lore
-Ishgardian Heresy Lore

RE: Dragoon Lore - Larehawk - 02-03-2016

Wow, this has helped me a lot, thanks! Big Grin