Hydaelyn Role-Players
New Player, where can I RP? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: New Player, where can I RP? (/showthread.php?tid=15106)

New Player, where can I RP? - Landale - 01-31-2016

Hi everyone! As you can tell from the title, I got into the game from the recent Steam Sale and I heard there was a rather bustling RP community here.

Except after trying for about almost 10 days, I can't seem to find a way to get to the cool kids table known as Balmung to enjoy the RP I crave. I've been even waking myself up at 1-2 am (pacific time) to see if I can make a character and it's getting a little too much. So I ask you what are my best options right now?

Are there any other servers with some good communities there?
Any actual tricks to get to Balmung these days?
Should I pretend that server doesn't exist?
Is Gilgamesh RP really that cloistered and hidden? I've seen this happen with SWTOR, and it doesn't help bring in new players.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks!

RE: New Player, where can I RP? - Teadrinker - 01-31-2016

About the only way I know of of getting into Balmung right now is via transfer or being exceedingly diligent and creating a character on the server right after they come up from maintenance. Literally within the minute.

Balmung appears to be the main server for RP but there are small pockets of communities located on other servers. If you check the Linkshell Hall you should find those that have made themselves known.

As far as Gligamesh I can't speak to their RP community because I do not play on that server but I have heard from chatter that many have migrated to Balmung in recent months.

I completely agree that it's pretty negative for newer RPers and, personally, I think its questionable and disingenuous of Square to allow characters onto the 'full' server....for a fee. Rolleyes That is my opinion, though.

Hope this information was helpful.

RE: New Player, where can I RP? - AekiraSwyfte - 01-31-2016

(01-31-2016, 03:16 PM)Teadrinker Wrote: As far as Gligamesh I can't speak to their RP community because I do not play on that server but I have heard from chatter that many have migrated to Balmung in recent months.
This is completely true. There was a bunch of drama that ended up spreading to the entire server and driving folks away. After that, Gilg just wasn't the same, the RP community was left divided (and from what I've heard from friends who are still there, it hasn't gotten much better), so I came to Balm... and have had much more success. 

As far as other communities, I know Jenova is really trying to put themselves on the RP map, and I think Sargantas has a decent community as well?

RE: New Player, where can I RP? - Momo - 01-31-2016

If you want the bustling and immersive aspect of RP on FFXIV...you need to pay the transfer fee to Balmung.  The other communities are small and tight-knit from what I can tell, so if that isn't what you are looking for, as Teadrinker did, I encourage you to pay the fee (fair or otherwise) to get on to Balmung.

Once here (when or if you decide to move), join an RP FC or LS right away, -do not- rely only on walk-up RP, though there are places where you can find RP readily, it is better to find a sure thing for your experience to be the best.

In hindsight, as legacy RPers first voted for a new server to be crowned "RP Server" we weren't in any way aware that it would eventually become packed and then blocked off from new RPers to get on.  It really sucks, but from my experience it is totally worth the money to move.  And I do hope in the future that SE makes it a point for transfers to a new busy server within reason for us to do so and with benefits, so that maybe we can start a second bustling RP Server like Balmung.

RE: New Player, where can I RP? - Edelirium - 02-01-2016

When I was on Sargatanas, I did see one LS briefly advertise being an RP Linkshell. That said, my friend and I did  bite the bullet and pay for a transfer to Balmung and it really is heads and shoulders above everywhere else.

Which is a pity, as others have said, since it's a pretty big turn off for people that want to RP but aren't already here.

RE: New Player, where can I RP? - Mentaza - 02-01-2016

I do want to point out that, if you do pay for the transfer to Balmung, the FFXIV server transfer is actually what it says; you can transfer up to 8 characters from one server to another at a time for the one transfer fee rather than it being $18 per character. So, if you plan ahead a bit, you can make a few characters and transfer them all at once (if you're into running alts).

RE: New Player, where can I RP? - Edelirium - 02-01-2016

Awww man. Really? I wish I had known that. I would've loved to bring over a not-elf to RP with later.

Well, today I learned.

RE: New Player, where can I RP? - Mentaza - 02-01-2016

(02-01-2016, 04:27 PM)Edelirium Wrote: Awww man. Really? I wish I had known that. I would've loved to bring over a not-elf to RP with later.

Well, today I learned.

It's okay, I didn't know that at first, either. I ended up paying for transfers 3 times to get all my characters over since a few were on different servers so I could play with different friends. If I'd have known that ahead of time, I'd have made my other RP alts on one server to save myself a transfer fee.

RE: New Player, where can I RP? - Maj'dolene Fierlaine - 02-03-2016

We have an RP community on Famfrit.  Feel free to look me up in game and I can get you into the linkshell.  If you are looking for an RP free company then Rosewood may interest you.  Either way feel free to look me up Smile

RE: New Player, where can I RP? - Juromaro - 02-03-2016

(01-31-2016, 03:16 PM)Teadrinker Wrote: About the only way I know of of getting into Balmung right now is via transfer or being exceedingly diligent and creating a character on the server right after they come up from maintenance. Literally within the minute.

Balmung appears to be the main server for RP but there are small pockets of communities located on other servers. If you check the Linkshell Hall you should find those that have made themselves known.

As far as Gligamesh I can't speak to their RP community because I do not play on that server but I have heard from chatter that many have migrated to Balmung in recent months.

I completely agree that it's pretty negative for newer RPers and, personally, I think its questionable and disingenuous of Square to allow characters onto the 'full' server....for a fee. Rolleyes That is my opinion, though.

Hope this information was helpful.

Well that's kind of disheartening, I'm from Gilgamesh and planning on coming back I was hoping Gilga still had an RP community, looks like I'm going to transfer my main and a few alts to Balmung when I can get back on the game.

RE: New Player, where can I RP? - Cheezie - 02-03-2016

(01-31-2016, 02:54 PM)Landale Wrote: Hi everyone! As you can tell from the title, I got into the game from the recent Steam Sale and I heard there was a rather bustling RP community here.

Except after trying for about almost 10 days, I can't seem to find a way to get to the cool kids table known as Balmung to enjoy the RP I crave. I've been even waking myself up at 1-2 am (pacific time) to see if I can make a character and it's getting a little too much. So I ask you what are my best options right now?

Are there any other servers with some good communities there?
Any actual tricks to get to Balmung these days?
Should I pretend that server doesn't exist?
Is Gilgamesh RP really that cloistered and hidden? I've seen this happen with SWTOR, and it doesn't help bring in new players.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks!

If you really want to get into Balmung, pretty much the only way right now is to transfer over, the good news is that it cost the same to transfer 1 character as it does 8, so if you want some alts on Balmung I suggest you make a few new characters and get them started right away, I do not believe there is a level requirements to transfer.

The only other method is if you get lucky after a big patch and get right in before the flood gates open of all the people trying to log back in.

If you do migrate over look up H'ecate Karellen, Ill be happy to show ya ropes and introduce you to some people for RP. But on Balmung is pretty much everywhere you go so not hard to find.

RE: New Player, where can I RP? - Lamia - 02-03-2016

I just recently transferred new characters over to balmung myself~ it's easier then you think! Just make a bunch of random characters, make sure the names are names of people already on the server. And then make sure you log into them and complete the first batch of quests given to you by the adventurers guild. Then you have to just wait three-four days for them to become eligible to move, and bam move all 8 in one go for 18$. The extra alts are in case you want to make new characters, on balmung they'll require a name change so you can name them what you want. And with the free fantasia you get from your first 30 days of play, they can look however you want.

:3 I hope this helps! And if you do come over to balmung, seek me out! I'd love to rp with you ^ ^

RE: New Player, where can I RP? - JamesGoblin - 02-09-2016

I'm kind of extremist when it comes to "Where...?" - everywhere! I even remember my comical attempts to do it in PvP (not just on such server, but in fights).

This might not be of great use to you, but IMO with the right mindset you don't need specific place or community. Anyway, it's likely only me =)