Hydaelyn Role-Players
Salutations, from a FFXIV novice - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Salutations, from a FFXIV novice (/showthread.php?tid=14612)

Salutations, from a FFXIV novice - Ian1121520 - 12-15-2015

Hello, lets just start off with the template, shall we? It should answer any questions. Be warned, this is not going to be a quick read.

MMORPG Background
I've poked and prodded a few MMOs over the years. My first real MMO that I probably committed too for far too long was WOW. I first stayed with it for so long because I loved exploring the world and seeing all the strange and wonderful sights. After it eventually boiled down to its 'true' essence of gear grinding, I stayed because of the friends I made. Even then those eventually went away. I tried Guild Wars 2, Rift, Ever Quest 2, Aeon, ...a lot of games, trying to find something that matched my initial wonder I had with WoW and/or something that I could form a good social circle.

RP Experience
I've RP'd off and on for a long time now. I first played DnD with some friends when I was in high school. I've had some (very) light rp in WoW, and tried some various virtual RPG table tops online, but none of them ever really stuck. I would so far consider my experience in RP to only really go into the category of 'light', I would like to try heavy rp though.

Character Ideas
I have a few character ideas bobbing about, mostly characters I've made before, that have slowly been being refined over the years. It is something I tend to do. I have a few characters in rotation in my head that I play. I am not against altering their story to make them fit. I currently have ideas for an Elezen Thaumaturge named Albus Beaularoix (currently in game, and will most likely be my main) , A Hyur Warrior, and a Lalafell pugilist (I made a gnome monk in DnD before, and he was awesomely creepy).

How did you learn about the coalition
To be completely honest, I decided to play FFXIV to see if I can make some friends. After playing on regular servers for a while, I found out I can't really talk to anyone in the game, as I don't know much about the game (only second month into FFXIV). I also always wanted to get into a serious RP on an MMO, as I believe, in theory, it could be quite interesting. I figured I could combine these interests and try to RP seriously and perhaps make some friends along the way. Anyway, a quick search of Final Fantasy 14 Roleplay quickly led me here.

What kind of roleplayer are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?
While my history has never let me try a heavy roleplaying experience, I would like to give it a try.

Anything from real life your comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc)
Hmm, currently a CAD Technician (think junior engineer), planning on going back to school in a year or two to become a full engineer. Probably electrical. As for hobbies and interests, I have catagorized myself as a nerd-lite. I watch anime sometimes, have interests in all things sciency, sci-fi, fantasy, astrology, all of that. I just don't have the 'all-consuming passion' for one of those things like some would assume a nerd would have, I just find them interesting  Maybe I'm just stereotyping. 

Now, for those who are still reading and are not trying to hunt me down and stab me in the face for wasting their time with all of this, I have some questions. As I'm trying to learn the world, I have quickly come to realize, there is a LOT of information I need to learn to even have a chance of making a coherent character. Is there a perhaps a few articles that would be a priority read for me to get started? I know about this thread http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1821, but saying 'read everything' is a bit overwhelming to a new guy.

Thank you for reading, and I wish you an epic rp.

RE: Salutations, from a FFXIV novice - Kawa - 12-15-2015

Hey Ian,

a warm welcome to the RP community from a fellow WoW player and anime watcher! Although when i think of it i'm propably not even in a position to greet new players as i myself joined XIV only a week ago Big Grin

Anyway, when it comes to reading the sources on that list i just poked into those that seemed interesting and/or important for my character. After i had made myself familiar with the basic lore and setting i started to ask myself questions about the character. Everytime i was unable to answer a question i searched for a lore fitting answer in all the great information threads. 

Also, while this one might make hardcore rpers roll their eyes and shake their heads in disbelieve, i decided to just throw myself into the RP expirience. Once i had my character somewhat fleshed out and knew how he would react to certain situation i simply started to RP, coming up with more character details on the fly when needed... so far that worked quite well and im really really enjoying my time on Balmung. The RP is so much better than anything ive ever expirienced in WoW.

Sorry for that long post, i propably should stop now so i dont end up writing a novel. Big Grin
If you have a character on Balmung by any chance feel free to add me, im always up for good fun!

I hope you enjoy your time in the community and am certain that the more expirienced players can answer your questions in way more detail! Wink

Cheers,
Kawa

RE: Salutations, from a FFXIV novice - JudicialHunter - 12-15-2015

Welcome to the RPC! *confetti*

It's super nice to see other WoW players (former or otherwise) on here! If you'd like to RP, send me a PM or find me in-game! ^^

RE: Salutations, from a FFXIV novice - Kage - 12-15-2015

Welcome to the game and the RPC!

Looking back to when I started even -thinking- of roleplay (not just because I was new) in FFXIV back in Jan 2014, I think it might just be a bit overwhelming to tell you something as well as having someone tell you about it.

Back in Jan 2014, I had just taken about a month to play through most of the game (Leveled to 50, finished the 2.0 MSQ). I hadn't done the other stuff but that wasn't quite as important as playing the game and finding out parts of the world. The lore itself can get expansive.

There are things to note. Certain Final Fantasy iconic jobs, if you've played Final Fantasy before, are seen as more restricted to play than others. You don't -have- to roleplay a job or class either. What are some specific questions you'd like answered about the world and universe? It's actually quite expansive~

RE: Salutations, from a FFXIV novice - ɴᴘᴄ - 12-15-2015

To echo previous posts, I wouldn't worry about having a comprehensive command of the sum of Eorzean lore before designing a character. One thing that helped me a bunch was this thread. It took a while to muddle through, and you may find that many questions may be set aside, if not permanently then for a time.

Obviously, the more of the game you experience, the easier it will be to fill in some of those blanks. To me, that more organic growth gained in the midst of (role)play is the preferable method. FWIW, YMMV, etc.

RE: Salutations, from a FFXIV novice - Roen - 12-15-2015

Welcome to the RPC!

I have to say, your RP history and why you came to the RPC sound just like mine!

I too felt very overwhelmed when I got here on how to get started. Although if you RPed on MMORPGs, I think you already have the mechanics down. If learning everything about the lore feels overwhelming, I know exactly how you feel.

Wiki page on the RPC has basics outlined for you, races, timeline, and such. It's a good place to start. It doesn't give you everything but you don't really need to know it all before getting started. But since you already have ideas for your Elezen, Hyur, and Lalafell, you likely know some stuff about the races and jobs already!

People here are also very friendly and helpful for the most part, so don't be afraid to ask. (except about White Mages. Don't ask about those. I kid, I kid! Mostly. Okay not really. ANYWAY...)

Welcome to the RPC! I too wish you some epic RP! Smile

RE: Salutations, from a FFXIV novice - Aya - 12-15-2015

Welcome to the RPC!

RE: Salutations, from a FFXIV novice - Steel Wolf - 12-15-2015

Welcome to the RPC, to Eorzea and to roleplay! :D

I will preface by saying that, gameplay-wise, this game is also a gear grind at the top. That said, it's all tied with group play, and if you find soft and snuggly peiple to run with, it's some of the best gameplay in MMOdom.

I entered this game with no operating knowledge of the lore, but a little briefing made things cone together. Along with just interacting with people. To that point, if you wanna give me a poke for some RP, just look my character up. I'm usually on at weird-ass hours (12:30a EST Fri-Tue and more normal hours Wed-Thu) but I am more than willing to contact and interact. <3

Hope you have fun!

RE: Salutations, from a FFXIV novice - Roe Dad - 12-15-2015

Welcome aboard! hope to see you around!

RE: Salutations, from a FFXIV novice - Sounsyy - 12-15-2015

(12-15-2015, 12:29 AM)Ian1121520 Wrote: As I'm trying to learn the world, I have quickly come to realize, there is a LOT of information I need to learn to even have a chance of making a coherent character. Is there a perhaps a few articles that would be a priority read for me to get started?

Welcome to Eorzea and the RPC! I try to help folks out with lore so if you have any specific questions, lemme know! That said, I can link you to a few basic lore posts that should help you out:

-Racial Lore Compilation
-Eorzean Religion Lore Compilation (About halfway down there's a section on Thaumaturgy that's relevant to your Main's interests.)
-Thaumaturgy and Black Mage Lore Compilation

RE: Salutations, from a FFXIV novice - Caspar - 12-15-2015

A lala pugilist, eh? Who'd try an idea that crazy? :3c
Welcome.

RE: Salutations, from a FFXIV novice - Accendie - 12-16-2015

(12-15-2015, 04:18 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(12-15-2015, 12:29 AM)Ian1121520 Wrote: As I'm trying to learn the world, I have quickly come to realize, there is a LOT of information I need to learn to even have a chance of making a coherent character. Is there a perhaps a few articles that would be a priority read for me to get started?

Welcome to Eorzea and the RPC! I try to help folks out with lore so if you have any specific questions, lemme know! That said, I can link you to a few basic lore posts that should help you out:

-Racial Lore Compilation
-Eorzean Religion Lore Compilation (About halfway down there's a section on Thaumaturgy that's relevant to your Main's interests.)
-Thaumaturgy and Black Mage Lore Compilation
 *waves* Welcome to the RPC!

The above post has the best resources you could ask for to get started. The first thing I tell folks to start with is simply their racial lore. Don't worry about the other races, just the race of your character. From there then look at your job(s). At that point then sorta go into the general timeline because major things like the calamity are things that everyone knows about and it's a good point to get a starting point for your character's personal history. Ask "Where was my character when the Calamity happened?" 

If you have any other questions there is the "Character workshop" forum that's also a good place to get help and ask questions. ^_^