Hydaelyn Role-Players
New Player seeking friends. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: New Player seeking friends. (/showthread.php?tid=1342)

New Player seeking friends. - Gargand - 07-24-2012

Hi all!

I just purchased FFXIV yesterday, I've been doing some research on the net, but most of it seems outdated. I am an avid RPer in other games, and I would like to be one here as well.

I am making this post to introduce myself, and to possibly find a Linkshell or player willing to mentor a newbie to the game. I have not created a character yet, as I've been trying to decide what to be.

If anyone feels like sending me any new player advice, please post here, or send me a PM, I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: New Player seeking friends. - Lenana - 07-24-2012

Welcome to Final Fantasy XIV!

My advice: Make a Lalafell on the server Balmung. Tongue (Kidding, you don't have to! But I recommend rolling on Balmung.)

But seriously: Do leves to level up quickly. If you need help, send me a message on here or on one of my characters (Eliza Trelae, Trelose Avakiri, Leanna Milose, all on the Balmung server.). I'll be glad to help if I can. And try to get the Goobbue (level 30) before the patch 1.23a, which is when they'll be removed.. (1.23 launches tomorrow, so get it while you can!)

At level 25, join a Grand Company. They give quests that award XP, and may break the monotony of levequests. If there's anything else you need to know, tell me!

Re: New Player seeking friends. - Aysun - 07-25-2012

First off~ Welcome!

When you make your character! (Lore is sexy):
- Server: Balmung, for sure! But that is a given.

- We have a serious lack of variation in races in the community. Miqo'tes are very common, Roegadyn are on the other side, very uncommon. Remember, with v2.0 we will have the option to select Male Miqo'te, Female Roegadyn, and Female Highlander Hyur, so if you are interested in playing one of those, chose a race that is close and just let people know until you can change.

- There is some general lore behind names in game, if you're interested in that:
Seekers of the Sun Miqo'te: Have names in which the first letter is followed by an apostrophe--Exception is F'lhaminn, the Keeper from the Ul'dah storyline. However, SE won't let us use apostrophes, so that makes it interesting (Ex: C'rhabye, W'nhalki, X'dhilogo)
Keepers of the Moon Miqo'te: Favor short first names with a fantasy feel, favoring H's (Ex: Rinh Maimhov, Nhagi Amariyo, Qhota Nbolo)
Midlander Hyurs: Have "common" fantasy names. (Ex: Edine, Rosamud, Bouchard)
Highlander Hyurs: Have "common" fantasy names, I think? I haven't been able to tell. (Ex: Shilgen, Hnaufrid)
Plainsfolk Lalafell: Seem to follow almost-XI Tarutaru style names with repetition (Ex: Vavaki, Aspipi, Sungi Kelungi)
Dunesfolk Lalafell: Seem to follow almost-XI Tarutaru style names with repetition (Ex: Tatasha, Yayake, Nonosu)
Hellsguard/Lohengarde Roegadyn: Seem to follow the XI Galka naming trend of descriptive words (Ex: Wise Moon, Angry River)
Sea Wolf Roegadyn: Think Welsh, however the names can be broken into two or three words in their old, native language (Ex: Mohtfryd, Wyznguld, Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn [merl-sea, wyb-wife, bloe-blue, fhis-fish, wyn-daughter; wyn and syn (son) are used at the end of surnames]). Some follow the Galka style naming (Ex: Roosting Crow)
Wildwood Elezen: Think "common" fantasy with a French twist (Ex: Norbettaux, Cahernaut, Anthoinette)
Duskwight Elezen: Think "common" fantasy with a French twist (Ex: Frilaix, Coultenet, Eugenaire)

- Current year most RPers go by: 1573

- You can make your guardian reflect your chosen namesday (birthday), or vice versa, if you'd like:
(Jan) 1st Astral Moon- Halone
(Feb) 1st Umbral Moon - Menphina
(Mar) 2nd Astral Moon - Thaliak
(Apr) 2nd Umbral Moon - Nymeia
(May) 3rd Astral Moon- Llymlaen
(Jun) 3rd Umbral Moon - Oschon
(Jul) 4th Astral Moon - Byregot
(Aug) 4th Umbral Moon - Rhalgr
(Sep) 5th Astral Moon - Azeyma
(Oct) 5th Umbral Moon - Nald'thal
(Nov) 6th Astral Moon - Nophica
(Dec) 6th Umbral Moon - Althyk

Here's some other lore links omg!

Join uuuussss~
- Joining the OOC LS is highly recommended! I believe Rain/Endemerrin made it this time around, and he can refer you to some of the pearl holders.

- Joining an RPLS, highly recommended as well! Right now, our community is very small still, so it can be hard to find random RP! Joining a LS will help with that. Click the Linkshells tab above to see some that are active (and some that aren't).

Re: New Player seeking friends. - Lenana - 07-25-2012

Oh, there is also a rhyme scheme to Lalafell names.

From the forums:

Fernehalwes Wrote:Greetings RhenAshadi! It's my 200th post! (That's a lot of bugs...)

As 2.0 approaches, we'll be officially releasing detailed information on naming conventions used by the five races. To tide you over until then, however, I can give you a quick rundown of the current rules Lalafells (Plainsfolk/Dunesfolk) adhere to. (Remember, there are always exceptions to the rules!)

Plainsfolk Male

Phoneme pattern is AB - CB
The A and C phonemes do not have to rhyme.

- Zorido Manarido

Fun Fact: Plainsfolk males will usually always use their full names, rarely ever breaking them down into first or last only.

Plainsfolk Female

Phoneme pattern is ABB - AB.

- Mimomo Mimo

Dunesfolk Male

Phoneme pattern is AAB - CCB
The A and C phonemes are 1 syllable, the B phoneme 2.
The A and C phonemes may rhyme, but do not have to.

- Jajariku Nanariku (rhyming)
- Nunulupa Tatalupa (non-rhyming)

Fun Fact: Unlike their Plainsfolk cousins, the Dunesfolk males often only use their first names.

Dunesfolk Female

Phoneme pattern is AAB - AB.
The A and B phonemes are 1 syllable.

- Jajano Jano

Fun Fact: While both Plainsfolk and Dunesfolk females will usually only go by their first names, when in the service of a Grand Company, they will often use their full names (for example: Flame Private Nonoku Noku).

Royalty

Members of the Ul'dah and Sil'dih royal families also bear the names of their respective sultanates.

- Nanamo Ul Namo
- Lalawefu Sil Tatawefu

I hope that helps!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/47228-Ul-dah-Hall-of-Flames-Pakipo-Tabkipo-s-Redundant-Speech?p=726188#post726188">http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/thre ... post726188</a><!-- m -->

Re: New Player seeking friends. - Gargand - 07-25-2012

I made a Hellsguard Roegadyn named 'Soaring Spear'

My aim is to be a dragoon!

Re: New Player seeking friends. - Gerik - 07-25-2012

Gargand sounds like a Roegadyn name! You should be a hot sexy muscular Roegadyn! Omggggg /drool.

EDIT: Omg you made a Roegadyn be my BFF! ;; BFFL is already taken by Aysun

Oh also, I volunteer to be your mentor!

/pushes Leanna and Aysun away.

Leanna Wrote:Oh, there is also a rhyme scheme to Lalafell names.

From the forums:

Spoiler: show
Fernehalwes Wrote:Greetings RhenAshadi! It's my 200th post! (That's a lot of bugs...)

As 2.0 approaches, we'll be officially releasing detailed information on naming conventions used by the five races. To tide you over until then, however, I can give you a quick rundown of the current rules Lalafells (Plainsfolk/Dunesfolk) adhere to. (Remember, there are always exceptions to the rules!)

Plainsfolk Male

Phoneme pattern is AB - CB
The A and C phonemes do not have to rhyme.

- Zorido Manarido

Fun Fact: Plainsfolk males will usually always use their full names, rarely ever breaking them down into first or last only.

Plainsfolk Female

Phoneme pattern is ABB - AB.

- Mimomo Mimo

Dunesfolk Male

Phoneme pattern is AAB - CCB
The A and C phonemes are 1 syllable, the B phoneme 2.
The A and C phonemes may rhyme, but do not have to.

- Jajariku Nanariku (rhyming)
- Nunulupa Tatalupa (non-rhyming)

Fun Fact: Unlike their Plainsfolk cousins, the Dunesfolk males often only use their first names.

Dunesfolk Female

Phoneme pattern is AAB - AB.
The A and B phonemes are 1 syllable.

- Jajano Jano

Fun Fact: While both Plainsfolk and Dunesfolk females will usually only go by their first names, when in the service of a Grand Company, they will often use their full names (for example: Flame Private Nonoku Noku).

Royalty

Members of the Ul'dah and Sil'dih royal families also bear the names of their respective sultanates.

- Nanamo Ul Namo
- Lalawefu Sil Tatawefu

I hope that helps!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/47228-Ul-dah-Hall-of-Flames-Pakipo-Tabkipo-s-Redundant-Speech?p=726188#post726188">http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/thre ... post726188</a><!-- m -->

How cool! I'd be Gerik Merik or Gegerik Memerik

Aysun would be Aysunsun Aysun or Ayaysun Aysun

Re: New Player seeking friends. - Gargand - 07-25-2012

What's your ingame name Gerik? I'll add you to my friends list.

Gargand Wrote:What's your ingame name Gerik? I'll add you to my friends list.
Gerik Aston~
I'll be online after I download the patch Smile

Re: New Player seeking friends. - Derrick1894 - 07-25-2012

Hi ^_^. Nice to meet you and welcome. Big Grin Hope to see you around sometime. And if needed, I wouldn't mind helping out, since you have 2 mentors already. Just ask. Smile

Re: New Player seeking friends. - Eternal Darkness - 07-26-2012

Aye, as stated before hand, welcome to the RPC!

Re: New Player seeking friends. - Merri - 07-26-2012

Welcome to the RPC!

Aysun mentioned it, and I noticed you in the OOC pearl earlier, so I won't bother explaining that.
Hope to see you around!

Re: New Player seeking friends. - Smiling River - 07-26-2012

Soaring Spear... a little too on the nose... hehe, welcome to the community.