Hydaelyn Role-Players
New-ish to RP, Character backstory check. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: New-ish to RP, Character backstory check. (/showthread.php?tid=12991)

New-ish to RP, Character backstory check. - Alania Kord - 08-14-2015

I posted this in the welcome thread as well but thought I may get some more feedback here. The only discrepancy that had been brought up, which I fixed shortly after, was that I used the White Mage class in my backstory.

(Edited for discrepancies.)

Full Name: Alania Lynn Kord

Name at birth: Alania Lynn Teague

Preferred name: Alania

Age/Date of Birth: Alania was born On the 20th Sun of the 6th Umbral Moon in the year 1545 of the Sixth Astral Era. (Though technically 33, Alania did not age while in Louisoix's rift from the Battle of Certeneau and does not count her time from the 5 year rift.)<--- may change with lore revamping due to conflicts

Sex: Female 

Height: 5'8"

Weight: 128lbs.

Build: Athletic

Eyes: Lavender

Hair: Bubble gum pink with darker pink highlights

Clothing Style: Often found dressed in white, however, this does not mean she can't be found wearing bright bold colors or looking dark and gloomy on occasion. Alania tends to dress semi-modestly, leaning to show off her long, muscular legs in the more 'revealing' of her outfits. She can sometimes be seen wearing a simple tunic and pants when she has no real plans or wishes to look more descreet.

Political Affiliation: Alania has never been one to bother with politics, instead choosing to follow the decisions of her husband, Theovon.

Occupation(s): Alania specializes in healing and has set out to learn any and all forms of healing that she can, including the making of potions and draughts in the alchemic field. She is also a fairly skilled archer and took up the teachings of the bard during her studies in archery.

Special Abilities/Skills: Alania has always enjoyed the sound of the harp and has become quite skilled with it, making her transition into her bard studies much easier.

Activities/Organizations: Alania is a member of the Conjurer's Guild, the Arcanist's Guild, the Archer's Guild, the Alchemist's Guild and has studied at the Astrologicum in Ishgard.

Hobbies: In her down time Alania has studied weaving, though not an expert in the craft she is no beginner.

Serious Problems/Flaws/Addictions/Disorders/Disabilities: Alania is fairly shy and reserved and tends to follow her husband rather than speak up front about issues, although at times, when she does speak up, she can be hot headed.

Citizenship: Originally from Ala Mhigo, Alania tends to lean toward the Uldah region, though she does have a strong connection to Gridania as she spent a good amount of time there during her studies in conjury and archery. Though she also has a connection to Limsa Lominsa from her time there studying as an arcanist it is not as strong as the other city-states. Ishgard is still foreign to her, she is currently spending time there with the astrologians studying astromancy but still feels like an outsider as she has just recently arrived there and does not know much in regards to the workings of Ishgard.

Place of Birth: Ala Mhigo

Now lives: Alania does not have a home to call her own at the moment but spends a great deal of time in Uldah as that is where she feels most comfortable.

Lives with: Alania can almost always be found at her husband's side.

Current Relationship Status: Married to Theovon Kord

Relationship History: Alania and Theovon grew up in Ala Mhigo and had known eachother their entire lives. They were inseperable friends and could almost always be found with eachother. Though no true relationship was established between them during their childhood, she found herself lost when Theovon was taken to be trained under the army of the Garlean empire. She managed to flee Ala Mihgo without being killed or captured by the Garleans and eventually found herself in the Black Shroud, there, she made her way to Gridania in hopes to find refuge. To earn her keep, rather than begging in the streets she chose to take up training with the conjurer's guild in the hopes of helping those who accepted her into their home. She became an exemplary conjurer and was promoted to a leader position of a squad Gridanian conjurers in the Battle of Certeneau.
  During the battle she found herself and her unit face to face with a suit of magitek armor, primed and ready to fire. With all hope lost she braced herself and stood her ground for the sake of the morale of her unit and those around her, closing her eyes, a tear rolled down her cheek as she knew this was her end. Suddenly, there was a shout and the crashing of steel on steel, she heard the sound of cannon fire from the suit but found herself unharmed. Looking up, a Garlean soldier stood over her, she braced herself once more for a fight she wasn't prepared for. The Garlean then reached, not for his weapon, but for his helm, removing it and hurling it to the ground, he reached up once more and removed any emblems or marks of the Garlean empire. What she saw, she did not believe, it couldn't be him. After fifteen long years, suddenly Theovon was there, standing before her, even though he had grown from the boy she knew as a child, she was certain it was him. She threw her staff to the ground and flung herself upon him, losing all military bearing and discipline in the midst of the war zone. With tears streaming down her face she turned to her unit and realized where she was. Releasing Theovon she regained her composure, picked up her staff, and took command of her unit with Theovon at her side once more. (Possible minor revamping after some discussion)

Family: Alania's only family is her husband, Theovon, and her brother in law, Lotheran (her family was killed during the Garlean raid on Ala Mhigo). Upon returning to Gridania after the Calamity she met Sergei Harlenk who chose to follow Theovon and herself, as he lost his family to the cataclysm. During their time together the group grew very close and Alania now considers Sergei a brother to her.

RE: New-ish to RP, Character backstory check. - Alania Kord - 08-14-2015

just occurred to me, it the White Mage Job would raise and issue, lore wise, would the same go for Bard, or am I safe to keep that in there?

RE: New-ish to RP, Character backstory check. - Sounsyy - 08-14-2015

(08-14-2015, 09:19 AM)Alania Kord Wrote: Age/Date of Birth: Alania was born On the 20th Sun of the 6th Umbral Moon in the year 1565 of the Sixth Astral Era. Though technically 33, Alania did not age while in Louisoix's rift from the Battle of Certeneau and does not count her time from the 5 year rift.

Date check! 1565 6AE was only 12 years ago. If you're wanting your character to be 33 years old at the Battle of Carteneau, her birthday would be 20th Sun of the 6th Umbral Moon in the Year 1539.

(08-14-2015, 09:19 AM)Alania Kord Wrote: Upon returning to Gridania after the Calamity she met Sergei Harlenk who chose to follow Theovon and herself, as he lost his family to the cataclysm. During their time together the group grew very close and Alania now considers Sergei a brother to her.

Did have a question about this though, for clarification. Is the "returning to Gridania" part her exiting the time rift 5 years later? And then the "time together" with Sergei was during the year-ish after exiting the rift?

I bring this up simply because being caught in Louisoix's time rift is not a requirement for surviving the Battle of Carteneau. You most certainly can say you were one of the Twelvesblades who fought to protect Louisoix in the last moments, but I did want to say that this was not the majority of people, and only those Twelvesblades who were under contract to defend Louisoix got teleported (per lore) which brings some suspicion as to why a "Garlean" (Theovon) was teleported. Again, not saying it can't happen if that's the way you and your group have decided that's how you want your collective backstory to work out, but the alternative is also just as likely:

Alania and Theovan flee Carteneau when the Eorzean Alliance orders a full retreat and escape the blast range of Bahamut's wroth and subsequent death. Then they return to Gridania. Theovan could've been wounded in the escape and Alania uses that as an excuse to have a Garlean soldier in her care. (We have lore that the Gridanians spared some of the Garleans they found who had survived the battle.) In Gridania they meet Sergei and their relationship grows over the next 5 years?

(08-14-2015, 09:19 AM)Alania Kord Wrote: Alania has studied at the Astrologicum in Ishgard.

...Ishgard is still foreign to her, she has spent time there with the astrologians studying astromancy but still feels like an outsider as she is not a citizen of Ishgard.

Only other timeline suggestion I can point out is that Ishgard closed its gates to all outsiders 20 years ago after Nidhogg's last full scale assault against Ishgard, resulting in the razing of the Ishgardian village of Ferndale. Alania would've been 12 or 13 at the time and still living in Ala Mhigo. Ishgard only recently (Heavensward) opened its gates to Adventurers who pledged their aid to the Holy See. Perhaps you can have it so Alania, who is already adept at Conjury and Arcanum, wishes to go to Ishgard so that she can begin learning the Sharlayan healing art and make that a part of your current RP?

(08-14-2015, 09:23 AM)Alania Kord Wrote: just occurred to me, it the White Mage Job would raise and issue, lore wise, would the same go for Bard, or am I safe to keep that in there?

Bard is totally fine, lore wise. Bards were common until roughly 100 years ago after the Autumn War. There became little use for the art and the magic of the bard songs began to weaken. Only a few true Bards carried on the legacy, but Gridania's Gods Quiver is now teaching the art to their archers, so easy to swing into your story!

Hope this helps! ^^ Always good to welcome a fellow Ala Mhigan!

Clarification time! Big Grin

-as far as the timeline concern, I derped and put in the wrong date, was supposed to be 1545 >.>

-I'm not to up to speed on a lot of the lore so I was flinging ideas. You do make a good point on the 'Garlean was saved by Louisoux' issue, I'll be throwing ideas around with my husband about possible alternate ideas. You had a good one about them fleeing, as Alania had lost him for 15 years and would likely want him away from the battle so she wouldn't lose him again, it conflicts a bit with her resolve to help other, but people do crazy things when they're in love, right?

-We did not meet Sergei until after the Calamity. As per his own personal story he is working on he was never at the battle and grew up in the Gridanian area, he is also an archer (not sure if he's going bard lore wise or not) so it would make sense for them to have met in Gridania. The meeting part isn't fully fleshed out as we didn't have much time to discuss it so I went with a brief description of the meeting.

-The Astrologicum studies were meant to be inferred as quite recently after the gates to Ishgard were reopened in Heavensward. As I'm still only a level 55 Astrologian in game it would also make sense to change it to, 'has currently started studying' rather than 'has studied.' (My brother in law, Lotheran, is an Astrologian which is how she learned of the art, and being that she wants to know every form of healing, she was drawn to it.)

Thank you for the input and constructive criticism, it is much appreciated! ^_^

RE: New-ish to RP, Character backstory check. - Virella - 08-14-2015

Just a minor thing with Astrologians, you sort of had to travel to Sharlayan in the past, or be a Sharlayan to know that craft IC (the magical way, not the "I stick my nose in books and read things from the stars for dragon attacks" the Ishgardians did in the past 300 years. Just the Sharlayan way has been introduced recently, but you are aware of that no doubt!). Limsa for example had never ever seen of Astrologians! So I'm sort of certain the Ala Mhigans probably didn't know of it either, seeming they appear to have monks are their thing, whereas Astrologians are a Sharlayan thing. But that is guessing work currently of course. So if you want to have it as a thing in your past, or your friend, keep that in mind!

It's only meant to be a very recent occurrence that she has started looking into Astromancy, like in the past few weeks since Heavensward was released. My brother in law, however has concocted his own fantastical story about it that I'll try and coax him to join and post! Tongue

RE: New-ish to RP, Character backstory check. - Virella - 08-14-2015

I see Big Grin Looking forward to reading if he decides to join the RPC as well! More Ala Mhigans the better (even if Virella was shittalking them yesterday with fellow Ishgardians, but heeeeey! I love em!)

:O well you did befried my husband in game yesterday! Hope it wasn't him you were talking bad about! >:O <3