Hydaelyn Role-Players
Curious on issue with Heavensward Benchmark - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Curious on issue with Heavensward Benchmark (/showthread.php?tid=12937)

Curious on issue with Heavensward Benchmark - Niteshade_Rune - 08-11-2015

Ive already played and know how my old system ran the game after Heavensward came out, but as i just built a new rig over the weekend I was playing with the benchmark again to do a base line performance comparison.

After all updates and drivers were set on the new rig I loaded up the benchmark and for fun hit maximum settings on the directx11 client version to run the benchmark. It scored rather high(around 15000+) I was playing around again a moment ago, ran the benchmark at the same settings with no changes and it scored around 5k, which struck me as odd.

Was wondering if anyone had any opinions as to what caused the noticeable difference in the benchmark scoring or if there was something I may have over looked lol.

RE: Curious on issue with Heavensward Benchmark - Mercer - 08-11-2015

A couple thing might be wrong. You should check and see what your power profile is in your graphics options and your PC options. Make sure they are set to prefer max performance.
You might also have a processor setting problem in your Bios. Modern processors have an option to variable raise or lower their clockspeed depending on use. This is great for normal use, but for gamers this severely limits your performance.

RE: Curious on issue with Heavensward Benchmark - Oli! - 08-11-2015

Not sure how long you ran the benchmark for, or how quickly you ran it again afterwards, so I don't know how plausible this may be, but in addition to what was offered above, I would also check to see if anything funny is happening with heat throttling.

RE: Curious on issue with Heavensward Benchmark - Niteshade_Rune - 08-11-2015

ill have to try and peak at the Bios settings next. i found the power profile setting and set the benchmarks individual setting to prefer max performance and also as a global setting.

Not sure where I'd check the heat throttling at. Tho for the most part this new rig runs incredibly cool. not sure if something got tweaked up after some additional windows updates or not. I'll fiddle around a bit here and there tho. Works got me on extra hrs all week so I'll only have limited time to fiddle with settings lol.
Thanks for the tips so far tho.

RE: Curious on issue with Heavensward Benchmark - Nebbs - 08-11-2015

Like others say, there are a few things it could be. What u would suggest is going about it systematically. Can you reproduce the two effects? 

Something like...
A clean boot and run the benchmark.
A clean boot wait 30min while doi g nothing and run the benchmark
A clean boot run some game for 30min then run the benchmark

Could be heat, other prograns, power profile, scheduled tasks, etc..

RE: Curious on issue with Heavensward Benchmark - Niteshade_Rune - 08-11-2015

I've tried after a fresh reboot, and all those etc. I checked and manually set power performance to max on my gpu globally and individually for the benchmark program as well.
When I loaded the game it seemed to run fine tho. The benchmark scoring acting up bugs me tho lol, I'd like to try and find out what the cause is

RE: Curious on issue with Heavensward Benchmark - Niteshade_Rune - 08-12-2015

I believe I actually found the culprit. it was the resolution. The new monitor I bought along with the gpu I have are able to make use of the newer 4k res. So i set it to that resolution manually when I ran the benchmark(both on direct9 and 11 settings @ maximum and that was where the massive change in score performance originated. If i set it to the more typical 1920x1080 my machine scores over 15000+ on direct11 maximum. Once I shifted it to the 3840x2160 it generally lands around 5700ish on the same setting.

I'm going to "assume" its due to not a large number of things out right now are overly optimized to run at the 4k resolution point as of yet?

RE: Curious on issue with Heavensward Benchmark - Nebbs - 08-12-2015

Good to know and wow nice skreen and system

RE: Curious on issue with Heavensward Benchmark - Niteshade_Rune - 08-12-2015

Tho even on the higher res setting the benchmark didn't really stutter except for a quick moment so I may experiment with the actual game and check out some of the higher activity areas and places with alot of the FATE trains rolling thru and see how it goes. Would b a shame to not run every game on the 4k res haha.
Tho I'm happy I found the reason why the benchmark scores changed lol.