Hydaelyn Role-Players
So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. (/showthread.php?tid=12857)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - -no longer matters- - 08-05-2015

Okay first off if this bothers anyone I apologize in advance. So let's get into it.

Eorzea is a realm with mixed technology levels, everything from low grade fantasy to Steam Punk to high grade Sci-Fi. That said I have two questions and again I really apologize if this bothers anyone, but it's kind of important for a story point I'm thinking about building and maybe something for others to consider for their own characters.

How do you think the races handle menstruation cycles, like what resources are available do they have disposables for hygiene products? I mean I know we have no hard fact, but theory crafted. Do you think it would be more like medieval times were they were thought just use wads of cotton (There's actually a really interesting article I ran into doing research for this talking about the theorized hygine products used because there is so little documented.), or do you think there have been advances in technology to the point where they would have developed a disposable product?

Okay so that ball of awkward was part one, now lets get to part 2 The main real reason I made this post.

What do you think the psychological effects the hormones of menstruation cycle would have on some of the classes such as Warrior or Dark Knight, being that both have a lot to do with mental state of mind?

This is the main reason I'm writing this would it cause a Warrior or Dark Knight to become more aggressive during their cycles, would it be harder to keep the Inner Beast or Darkside in check?

Again I really apologize if this subject made anyone feel uncomfortable, but I thought it was a discussion worth having and could benefit quite a few RPers.

CLARIFICATION EDIT: On the topic of emotions, I don't mean the average woman. I mean someone that is already under a ton of duress from such things as a Warriors Inner Beast, A Dark Knights Darkside etc. I'm also not looking for how to behave but more for fellow RPers to theory craft how this time period would affect the brave women who take up these arts. Remember These arts are not easy to master and would likely put a considerable strain on the mental state of their users to master.

EDIT #2: Let's also throw Men's IMS (yes this is a thing.) which is the mental equivalent of PMS due to testosterone dropping causing moods swings in men.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Aaron - 08-05-2015

I can only with certainty answer the second question from experience with living with female roommates. 

You ask how that time of the month would probably affect a DRK emotions. Well hhhh....

Think of a innocent and cute bubble. . . That coming a certain time of the month that cute bubble glows black and then gives off an explosion akin to a hydrogen atom bomb. But returns to that cute little bubble afterwards.

That's kinda how I'd assume it went. If DRK use emotions to fight then uhhh better put dead man walking on anyone that tries to fight Siren during ahem... that time.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Virella - 08-05-2015

Welp.

I tend to ignore it completely for the most part. However I heard people joke about it being the time of the month ect, and I don't mind that! I'm just too lazy to keep a track onto it really, and well, lack of knowledge of the subject how things are handled in Eorzea. So well, yarp. I just avoid it.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Kiur - 08-05-2015

Periods put us off kilter but it doesn't tend to change our entire being, opposed to what comedians think.The whole system is a pain in the ass (ha?) so I tend to omit it from my roleplay. Kiur also has neurological damage anyway so her period, while present, probably wouldn't come across very much.

As for devices or tampons? Pretty sure they exist. A similar question got asked in the GW2 RP community. With the presence of the Asura, most tech exists in their own way, with their own racial twists.
Perhaps in Kiur's heavy armor, there's a sort of jock-cup? Instead of holding a dick, it'd capture her menstruation?
Who knows. It might exist but there's no point in emoting its existence unless in very private settings.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - V'aleera - 08-05-2015

Given this is an issue that has been as persistent as the human race itself, you may find some suitable answers in regard to matters of hygiene by looking up how pre-modern societies handled it.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Berrod Armstrong - 08-05-2015

I had to address it once, during a very awkward roleplay session where Berrod learned to be polite about it around his friend. I had no idea at the time how it's handled in Eorzea (and I still don't know really, there's zero mention), but my roleplaying partner and I dealt with it as:

A simple, absorbant and disposable cloth rag that was burned after use. Sort of like a sweat-rag, but...a blood-rag, or a blood-cloth. 

Psychologically and emotionally individual to the person it's happening to, but with ample parallels to real life (since we had nothing to work on). 

Our characters assumed that Miqo'te ladies were estrous. As players we had no clue one way or the other, but it was the (mis)conception we gave to our toons. 

The idea that it affects a Dark Knight/Warrior's state is a very interesting one that I encourage you to toy with! I have a similar thing going with one of Berrod's chakras; depending on how hungry or aroused he is, it works differently. 

Just be sure to mind your audience, and illustrate things appropriately, methinks. That  counts for all things, not just that. I look forward to hearing about what you've managed to come up with!

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - McBeefâ„¢ - 08-05-2015

In some premodern societies, no precautions were taken by most women (Noblewomen behaved differently). Women just wore skirts and it dripped onto the ground.

I remember reading a primary source about how young men in renaissance Germany would see the spots on the ground as a sign of fertility, and desirability.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Qhora Bajihri - 08-05-2015

This is the kind of thing we think about, but I doubt the powers-that-be will ever give confirmation on, except maybe in a joke quest? Even then, it'd be inviting so much hell to try and make that kind of joke. Let's hope they don't.

So it really comes down to what makes sense/is most interesting for you and your character. Women in the real world can have either a harder or an easier time with the effects of hormones. It's up to the player if they want to make that a factor or just ignore it. I'd think for most people, it's such a minor part of life (like daily diet, basic hygiene, maintenance chores, etc.), that it's definitely easy to just leave it on the sideline as a non-issue.(Skirts make so much more sense now, especially in a world with so much less sitting.)

My character's system doesn't work properly anymore. This should probably have an effect, and maybe it contributes, but in terms of how I play her, it isn't much of a factor at all in determining her attitudes and motivations.

Opinions and experiences are valuable, but there's never going to be word of law, probably not even consensus.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Cato - 08-05-2015

It's something that I doubt will ever be given any official clarification. I'd assume I'm not the only one who shudders at the thought of touching upon such things in a role-playing environment. Then again, I'm not female and I don't play female characters so I can't say I have any experience or inclination to portray such things in-game.

It's one of those things that may be worth dealing with 'off screen' - especially with the potential for 'squick' and controversy.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Aaron - 08-05-2015

(08-05-2015, 03:21 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: In some premodern societies, no precautions were taken by most women (Noblewomen behaved differently). Women just wore skirts and it dripped onto the ground.

I remember reading a primary  source about how young men in renaissance Germany would see the spots on the ground as a sign of fertility, and desirability.
. . . . . . . . .

Well then. . be mature Aaron.  . .

I'll just go away.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - -no longer matters- - 08-05-2015

(08-05-2015, 03:30 PM)Qhora Bajihri Wrote: This is the kind of thing we think about, but I doubt the powers-that-be will ever give confirmation on, except maybe in a joke quest? Even then, it'd be inviting so much hell to try and make that kind of joke. Let's hope they don't.

So it really comes down to what makes sense/is most interesting for you and your character. Women in the real world can have either a harder or an easier time with the effects of hormones. It's up to the player if they want to make that a factor or just ignore it. I'd think for most people, it's such a minor part of life (like daily diet, basic hygiene, maintenance chores, etc.), that it's definitely easy to just leave it on the sideline as a non-issue.(Skirts make so much more sense now, especially in a world with so much less sitting.)

My character's system doesn't work properly anymore. This should probably have an effect, and maybe it contributes, but in terms of how I play her, it isn't much of a factor at all in determining her attitudes and motivations.

Opinions and experiences are valuable, but there's never going to be word of law, probably not even consensus.
Well the only reason I asked this question was because if you think about the amount of willpower it likely takes to keep The Inner Beast or Darkside at bay would be huge if it wasn't every tom dick and harry in Eorzea would be a Dark Knight or Warrior. 

Even though the emotional fluxes caused by the hormones during this cycles would be everyday business to your average citizen, you'd have to assume the women who walk the lines of Warriors and Dark Knights wouldn't view it as such. 

I think in the cases of these two classes especially we can't look at it as an everyday person dealing with it.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Sig - 08-05-2015

War Siren's question is an example of an extremely important element of RP that is easy for most players to gloss over or ignore.  I offer my response below:

(1) Emotional Reaction - Menstruation cycles should effect female characters on an individual level, as bio-chemical reactions and personal temperament vary heavily.  Some females should hardly notice a change in disposition.  Some may notice no change.  Others may be mildly irritable.  Some may be extremely moody. 

(2) Physical Mitigation - The imagination should be the limit, unless a particular mitigation device is so unreasonable that it completely deviates from lore (i.e. - stuff a moogle down your pants).  The most common elements would involve using some type of cloth for absorption or simply allow fluids to drip where they will.   

(3) Warrior/Dark Knight - It is perfectly consistent and reasonable for a menstruating warrior/dark knight to be more aggressive and emotionally driven than normal.  It is equally reasonable for them to not be like that.  It boils down to your specific character and their emotions.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Faye - 08-05-2015

As for tampons or some equivalent, it's called "on the rag" for a reason. There are times/cultures where rags were used, or also times where women just kinda bled freely. As for it effecting your character... just depends on your own discretion about how moody your character would be and her self-control/willpower? A woman's period certainly affects her state of mind, but it's different for all women, and doesn't like... turn any of us into axe-murderers.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - Lilia Lia - 08-05-2015

We keep talking about pre-modern conveniences but I wonder if Garleans use some kind of super advanced futuristic magitek maxi-pad. 

Anyways the question seems to have already been answered but here's a funny poem on the general topic of menstruation (among other things) from the 17th century poet Jonathan Swift:

The Lady's Dressing Room

And something nobody has mentioned that you'll read of in that poem is "gown perfume" which ought to be pretty self-explanatory. 

As for me, I like to pretend Lilia lives in a wonderful world where menstruation doesn't happen because that's just part of my final fantasy.

RE: So crazy, awkward but albeit serious question about a natural cycle and RP. - -no longer matters- - 08-05-2015

(08-05-2015, 03:45 PM)Faye Wrote: As for tampons or some equivalent, it's called "on the rag" for a reason. There are times/cultures where rags were used, or also times where women just kinda bled freely. As for it effecting your character... just depends on your own discretion about how moody your character would be and her self-control/willpower? A woman's period certainly affects her state of mind, but it's different for all women, and doesn't like... turn any of us into axe-murderers.
No I get that for the average woman that's true. But I'm talking about one that's already exercising intense will power to keep these two emotional based powers in check. Like I said you'd have to figure they are already under a ton of duress to keep either their Darkside or Inner Beast in check as is. I mean Other practices and classes I don't see this being an Issue (maybe a Monk's Chakra.)