Hydaelyn Role-Players
Are too many people "Fearless"? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Are too many people "Fearless"? (/showthread.php?tid=12825)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Are too many people "Fearless"? - -no longer matters- - 08-03-2015

I ran into an issue last night at an event I was working ICly security for. A couple of players were making a ruckus and I was asked by the organizer to make them stop (No I won't name any names.), initially it seemed like they cooled down, but then the bickering started back up, and I told one of the responsible parties they need to leave. They for the most part refused, and I had to get a bit authoritative ICly, again they pretty much refused and played tough guy.

Now usually that would be all well and good, but here's where my issue lays the person causing issues was a barely clothed Midlander Hyur, my Character being a heavy armored Roegadyn that towered over them. Yet he acted and treated the situation, like I was some small child. Okay again usually I'd shrug this off (Though when I'm faced down by an imposing authoritative figure at an event, I personally play along.) but this time it bugged me.

It feels like no one has perspective of size or intimidation, if a huge bouncer tells a scrawny trouble maker to knock it off IRL, that scrawny trouble maker knocks it the $#@% off.. Other than that,when someone is doing security at an event isn't it an unwritten rule that if you are asked to leave for causing trouble you leave?

How do others who work event security handle situations with players that have to make a ruckus, and refuse to acknowledge any kind of event security trying to hush them down or remove them?

EDIT For Clarification: The comparison to Roegadyn vs Hyur is a subjective comparison here as to illustrate heavily armed security vs scantily clad rebel rouser. Too many people are focusing on that part. The part that I want people to focus on, are people not respecting events and event security, and how to handle these people and minimize them from ruining an event because they're character can't back down and follow event rules.

RE: Are to many people "Fearless." - Aaron - 08-03-2015

You usually from my experience either

A - Talk it out OOC (Ive never chosen this option)

B - Resort to a roll (If said person doesn't just roll with it free form

C - Assume said person is ICly a naive tough guy regardless of who he's talking to (this happens a lot both in rp and irl from my experience)

D - Assume said person is just giving you a hard time and ask someone else to either deal with it or help you deal with it.

RE: Are too many people "Fearless"? - Oli! - 08-03-2015

(08-03-2015, 05:49 PM)War Siren Wrote: snip

People like their characters to look cool. Some people think that backing down makes you look like a wuss, so they don't do it.

Either that or they just want to show everyone their Good Combat Skills so they pick fights at every available opportunity.

Just remind them that you're trying to keep everything running smoothly for this event, and if they want to continue intruding on the enjoyment of the event for everyone else, that they will have to leave and / or be disregarded by all attending.

RE: Are too many people "Fearless"? - Blue - 08-03-2015

Sadly the awareness that our character cannot be ICly killed (or stabbed, or poisoned, or raped, or punched, or kidnapped, or robbed, etc.) without our OOC permission is one of the major cases of unconscious OOC leak you can find in most of the community, which leads to extreme boldness, self-confidence and unrealistic trust in other PCs too.

RE: Are too many people "Fearless"? - Virella - 08-03-2015

I played on another game were players (and GMs) had the capability of killing each other off. Needless to say, people were a lot less "Look at me grrrr I'm so cool" when threatening a group of people. It happened. But unless the person could talk, or fight his way out of it, rarely people like that survived such stupidity.

But as Blue said, it lays that we do not have the ability to kill off people's characters; and that shield allows for people to play as how they want without suffering consequences (not even killing, but injury ect).

RE: Are too many people "Fearless"? - -no longer matters- - 08-03-2015

(08-03-2015, 06:05 PM)Blue Wrote: Sadly the awareness that our character cannot be ICly killed (or stabbed, or poisoned, or raped, or punched, or kidnapped, or robbed, etc.) without our OOC permission is one of the major cases of unconscious OOC leak you can find in most of the community, which leads to extreme boldness, self-confidence and unrealistic trust in other PCs too.
Yeah this is an issue to many people unintentionally (or maybe intentionally) Meta this. I like to RP War as weary combat Vet, that knows a mistake could cost her, her life but also knows when and when not to put on the fearless face.

Wish more people would forget they are technically immortal in game. Would add such a great layer of story telling and fluidness.

(08-03-2015, 06:09 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: I played on another game were players (and GMs) had the capability of killing each other off. Needless to say, people were a lot less "Look at me grrrr I'm so cool" when threatening a group of people. It happened. But unless the person could talk, or fight his way out of it, rarely people like that survived such stupidity.

But as Blue said, it lays that we do not have the ability to kill off people's characters; and that shield allows for people to play as how they want without suffering consequences (not even killing, but injury ect).
Oh that would be great to have a system like that! Hell I only get aggressive on War when I'm working Security and someone gives me a hard time, or as a Body guard and someone threatens my client.

In games in the past when people tried to unrealistically tough guy me I'd through down a PvP duel. Can't do that here.

RE: Are too many people "Fearless"? - Threndual - 08-03-2015

One fun thing I give all my characters is at least 1 irrational fear.

My main, Baatu, is terrified of Miqo'te fur for example since he finds it utterly disgusting. He's an Au Ra, people should be scaly not fluffy. As for your situation, I'd have just warned them OOCly that you were gonna attack if it kept up, any decent RPer would know in that situation they are screeewed. If they some how managed to god mote their way to victory tis simply not worth playing with them.

RE: Are too many people "Fearless"? - Virella - 08-03-2015

(08-03-2015, 06:15 PM)War Siren Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 06:09 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: I played on another game were players (and GMs) had the capability of killing each other off. Needless to say, people were a lot less "Look at me grrrr I'm so cool" when threatening a group of people. It happened. But unless the person could talk, or fight his way out of it, rarely people like that survived such stupidity.

Oh that would be great to have a system like that! Hell I only get aggressive on War when I'm working Security and someone gives me a hard time, or as a Body guard and someone threatens my client.

In games in the past when people tried to unrealistically tough guy me I'd through down a PvP duel. Can't do that here.
It has it downsides as well, as people's characters getting ganked for the lulz, or if people did not like one another OOC, they started to plot against people IC. It was fun, but it certainly had a lot of pitfalls as well Tongue

Mostly of the time you were okay though as long you stayed in the capital cities. On the road you had bandits who would kill you for a few coins if you did not say what they wanted you to do ect. What was fun, but as I said, things could go sour quickly as well.

RE: Are too many people "Fearless"? - Sin - 08-03-2015

(08-03-2015, 06:05 PM)Blue Wrote: Sadly the awareness that our character cannot be ICly killed (or stabbed, or poisoned, or raped, or punched, or kidnapped, or robbed, etc.) without our OOC permission is one of the major cases of unconscious OOC leak you can find in most of the community, which leads to extreme boldness, self-confidence and unrealistic trust in other PCs too.

This is it right here. Exactly what I was going to say.

I guess I'll add that it's unfortunate, but it is what it is, without -actual- fear most people will not be able to recognize when their character will feel afraid, and it really sucks for the reasons mentioned here.

It's okay to not be the badass always! Try it! For those on the fence! Next fight or conflict have your character lose or shy away if it makes sense! Try it!

The lack of awareness for that kind of thing among other similar oversights is what keeps me weary of the community as a whole, and RP'ing with a select few individuals I trust to keep things like that in mind.

RE: Are too many people "Fearless"? - Aaron - 08-03-2015

I like to be the underdog because I'm simply better at it.

You see i got mind control over security and guys bigger than Aaron. They tell me to shut up yeah I'll be quiet. . . but when you leave. . I be talking again.  .

I have no need to fight you.

RE: Are too many people "Fearless"? - Flashhelix - 08-03-2015

In a world where the average adventurer (which seems to be a suitable FF equivalent to "loser with no real day job") takes on living cacti that can fire needles at lethal velocities, lightning-powered cheetah monsters, beastmen, etc. then "Person bigger than you" can cease to be all that terrifying.

I think something that's worrying is that you saw his character, a hyur, and naturally went "A hyur, well, they must be terrified by a roegadyn." I think it's assuming quite a lot to just expect a certain IC reaction and then blaming it on some kind of OOC bleed.

Unfortunately, the people playing the characters are the ones who get to choose how their character sees yours, not you.

If somebody walks into a public event, starts shit, then refuses to deal with the consequences, that's definitely not okay. But from how the OP words it, it seems it didn't even get that far, and that the problem wasn't what the character did, but the character not instantly backing down and being in terror of the OP's character, because obviously any character would be terrified by such a bonafide badass, right?

I find it weird that the general sentiment in the thread is "Man, all these stupid people just wanna play badasses" when the OP's problem seems to be that the person didn't properly acknowledge their character's badassery.

RE: Are too many people "Fearless"? - ProvaDiServo - 08-03-2015

I am now encouraged to play a character who is missing their frontal lobe.

To be fearless because they can't comprehend it.

RE: Are too many people "Fearless"? - Aaron - 08-03-2015

(08-03-2015, 06:38 PM)Flashhelix Wrote: In a world where the average adventurer (which seems to be a suitable FF equivalent to "loser with no real day job") takes on living cacti that can fire needles at lethal velocities, lightning-powered cheetah monsters, beastmen, etc. then "Person bigger than you" can cease to be all that terrifying.

I think something that's worrying is that you saw his character, a hyur, and naturally went "A hyur, well, they must be terrified by a roegadyn." I think it's assuming quite a lot to just expect a certain IC reaction and then blaming it on some kind of OOC bleed.

Unfortunately, the people playing the characters are the ones who get to choose how their character sees yours, not you.

If somebody walks into a public event, starts shit, then refuses to deal with the consequences, that's definitely not okay. But from how the OP words it, it seems it didn't even get that far, and that the problem wasn't what the character did, but the character not instantly backing down and being in terror of the OP's character, because obviously any character would be terrified by such a bonafide badass, right?

I find it weird that the general sentiment in the thread is "Man, all these stupid people just wanna play badasses" when the OP's problem seems to be that the person didn't properly acknowledge their character's badassery.
Hmm after reading this, you do bring up a point that I apparently missed myself. 

Oh well, guess it was all just a misunderstanding.

(08-03-2015, 06:38 PM)Flashhelix Wrote: In a world where the average adventurer (which seems to be a suitable FF equivalent to "loser with no real day job") takes on living cacti that can fire needles at lethal velocities, lightning-powered cheetah monsters, beastmen, etc. then "Person bigger than you" can cease to be all that terrifying.

Yeah... no. The problem was addressed, the person was asked to leave IC because I didn't want to bleed OOC into IC and they refused. The issue was more the person not respecting event security, and continued to add to causing a ruckus after they were asked to stop.