Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Clarification] Doman Spirituality. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Clarification] Doman Spirituality. (/showthread.php?tid=12682)

[Clarification] Doman Spirituality. - Moonlit - 07-23-2015

Hello there,

I've searched around here and there and found mixed reviews and opinions on the Doman spirituality. I've seen it mentioned that they worship the elements or, alternatively, that they worship kami which are more than just elements and include: animals and spirits of the revered deceased. Can anyone find (or know) the direct quotes or have a confirmation on this? x.x 

Apologies, the people I usually look for had varying statements on the manner and I didn't want to derail those threads. D:

RE: [Clarification] Doman Spirituality. - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-23-2015

I'm gonna quote Sounsyy's reply to a thread about an Auri Conjurer.

(07-12-2015, 09:09 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(07-12-2015, 04:02 PM)Miyako Wrote: Also, would it be likely elementals live in Othard or possibly something similar to elementals? Perhaps some sort of nature spirits?

Most certainly. Elementals live everywhere in Hydaelyn. Though most do not appear to mortals outside of the Twelveswood's Hedge for fear of Mankind.

Which leads into...

(07-12-2015, 04:02 PM)Miyako Wrote: If it is possible, would it work if I were to say someone taught my character something akin to conjury (nature magicks) during her time living in Othard?

Domans, and possibly other Othardian natives, do actually have something strangely akin to "nature magicks." In fact, worship of Elementals might actually be... a thing. Listen to this:

Oboro Wrote:My people do not worship your deities twelve. Our gods are all around us - in the trees, in the soil, in the crashing waters before you. Close your eyes and open your heart to the sound of the rushing falls, that you might purge your mind of all worldly thoughts and distractions.

Oboro Wrote:We draw power from the world around us - the heaven, the earth, the hearts of man - and channel this power into physical form. I am told that this is similar to your concept of ay-ther, was it?

This sounds suspiciously similar to Conjurers' descriptions of the Elementals:

Waldew Wrote:Listen, adventurer, to the rustling leaves, the flowing rivers- to the very pulse of this land. We conjurers of Stillglade Fane interpret these whispers of the Elementals and convey them to the people of Gridania.

Ingram Wrote:Put your ear to the Twelveswood, sister, and listen with all your being. Know - not fear - know that the Elementals are there. And when you feel that it is they that comprise the life that flows through us all, you will begin to hear their whispers.

So Far Easterners may actually be Elemental worshipers themselves!

[...]

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: [Clarification] Doman Spirituality. - Gone. - 07-23-2015

Domans essentially practice Shinto, which yes, means they hold a great regard for spirits, particularly of the ancestral and/or worldly variety. I based Vetiver's character heavily around this concept, actually.

RE: [Clarification] Doman Spirituality. - Gegenji - 07-24-2015

I play Chachan a bit around those lines as well, though he's been learning a lot about the Eorzean pantheon from Jancis' pilgrimages (and being told to respect them or get cursed by Meli on a couple occasions). Respect for ancestors is a big thing for the Gegenji family as a whole, and even bleeds into their naming conventions. And he stylized a rabbit onto his helmet to honor the rabbit spirit and seek its aid when he fights. Blush