Hydaelyn Role-Players
Rynathan Ramblings - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Rynathan Ramblings (/showthread.php?tid=12679)

Rynathan Ramblings - Zephyo - 07-23-2015

iI've been hesitating about putting pen to paper and establishing my miqo'te as more than just a light rp distraction. I really like his design, and I think I have the writing chops to handle a character that develops and grows. And, thanks to a random roleplay over the weekend, I impromptu'd out Pig, the baby behemoth, as his prone-to-chicanery mascot. So now comes the tricky bit; history which the character has no memory of.

Born E'rynth Tia ('th' being the miqo'te accent, so Eorzeanized as Erin) to a Nomadic Seeker Tribe if the Thanalan desert, E'rynth spent his youth admist the desert and Ul'dah, where he picked up swordsmanship. After a falling out with his tribe over cultural issues, he adopts the name Rynathan Elurhandir, and sets about the realm as an adventurer, right around the time 1.0 rolls out. His travels and exploits, small in the scheme as they were, bring Rynathan to the Battle of Carteneau as one of the many foot soldiers in the field.

It is within the battle that Rynathan suffers a traumatic injury and leaving him an amnesiac. By the time he comes to, Bahamaut is freed, the aftermath unfolds, and helpless to circumstance as he is caught up in the spell that flings him into the future. His stay amidst the Void is prolonged, as his body absorbs aether to recovet from emminent failure, so his return to time does not have him shortly expiring after.

When he does return from his stasis, he finds himself in the craigs outside Limsa Lominsa. He falls in line with the Rogue's guild, not remembering his time as a swordsman but clearly possessing a instinct for fighting, where his duties to the Code eventually have him aquire the baby behemoth which he names Pig. His love for food also brings him under the Culinarian's Guild, which he uses to supplement his Rogue finder's fees and the money he makes working as an adventurer with his talents.

*stops to catch his breath*

That's pretty much what I have set in stone, though the details about his life before Carteneau are rather vague. Mostly because of my time in 1.0, and wanting to use details such as my previous profession level and legacy mark as parts of Rynathan's story. In addition, with his hair color being sonclose to aetheryte in color I figured that could be a by-product of being partially reconstructed.

But now I need to hammer out the details, with the intention of being able to give plot hooks and tie-ins so as to bring this character into the community. And that comes with some points I need help with;
  • Pre-adventuring life. If Rynathan was mid-late 20s at the time of Carteneau, 1.0 taking place over two to three years, and the Arial Battle of Mor Dhona being 15 years before 1.0 begins, Rynathan would have been a child around the time of the battle. Could his tribe have originated in Mor Dhona, driven to nomadic life by the battle's aftermath? What size would such a tribe be, and how many Nunhs would populate it? Would the shift to nomadic life weakened of stretched thenteibe thin, or would they have rallied together? Or would the tribe trade in Ul'dah and thrived before the Battle?
  • Pre-Carteneau Adventuring: With Oschon as his chosen Guardian, Rynathan would probably have visited and stayed within each of the main cities. This would accont for a number of little things, like Rynathan's remarkably un-miqo'te accent and a capacity for communing with spirits. This would also allow him common sense upon being dropped outside Limsa Lominsa, and give him a time frame wherein he met or worked with other adventurers in the past, as well as building up enough of a reputation to join a Grand Company as a private when Dalamund was weaponized. Is there an official timeline for 1.0?
  • Post-Carteneau: With Rynathan spending a delayed amount of time in stasis recovering, there are any number of consequences that could carry over. The big three would be his hair being blanched aether-blue, his right eye being restored with the same coloring, and the crest on his back being the sign of his passage. But considering the plot elements present in the Main Scenario, there are other potential consequences, such as developing an Echo power for a plot mechanic of both self revelation and progression. His new eye, being reconstructed from Aether, could give him the ability to see aether currents, and/or him an advantage with Arcanist magicks. It's kinda a pot-luck plot point, and over-doing it with the extracurriculars could make him a Mary Sue. What is an advisable limit to these capacities, and what sort of downsides would there be to possessing one or more?
Thank you for your time and patience. Comments/Concerns/Threats of quarantine and fiery cleansing ? ;D

RE: Rynathan Ramblings - Jerciex - 07-23-2015

I usually like to keep thing simple, makes RPing easier for me. But I am simple-minded person.Laugh
You have pretty many details there, like: stasis, amnesiac, echo, "new eye", time-travel, etc. And it is good thing, but requires lots of self-study about them and how your bring them up in RP. (All those details sounded like story of Warrior of the light in Main story. But it is not important here!). Details requires attention and time.

But please! Don't be discouraged by my comments, I just wanted to give my opinion and I wish they will help you. Remember, in RP, most important thing is you enjoy it, have fun, do things you like and don't make people's opinions affect your RP. Do your RP as you like! That way RP is really fun and enjoyable!

I would love to offer my help to Ryathan's story in RP. Like Ryathan, Jerciex is veteran Battle of Carteneau. He was working behind the line, evacuating wounded. Maybe This could give them "connection". Maybe Jerciex was one carried Ryathan away from field, and suddenly Bahamuts is there and light.. Then Jerciex notice that Miqo'te he was carrying is gone. Dazed