Hydaelyn Role-Players
Inspiring Music? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Inspiring Music? (/showthread.php?tid=11714)

Inspiring Music? - Asmodean - 05-21-2015

Ever feel like you just can get into the skin of you character unless you sit back and enjoy a song that seems to fit them too well? I know I'm one of those players, when to comes to my midlander.  Odd part has to be I hadn't even thought about the song until yesterday thanks to listening the OST the other day and thought about how it matches both sides of him.

Song in question is "I am my own master now." from the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance OST. Both Asmodean and Moridin histories scream at me as I listen and it let me slide in to that mind set even if other wise I might not be able to.

Dose anyone else has an Roleplay aid to help you get into mindset of you character at all or have started thinking about it thanks to post like this?

RE: Inspiring Music? - Hammersmith - 05-21-2015

I build entire playlists around concepts. Short/serial stories tend to have a single song set to them.

Finding a single song for Hammer is a fool's errand, but this one seems to circle most of his  manic facets in one go:

[youtube]PEUWx4LA7jU[/youtube]

Yes he knows if he ever lets go
The pretty machine will swallow him whole
He has no fear
He has no sense of shame
He will not stop until everybody everywhere wants to know his name

He wants to live the kind of life
That will make the folks back home scream, bitch, and whine
He knows if he ever even gets to try
He will bite down hard to make the monster cry
He knows if he ever even gets a chance
He'd sell his soul to make the monster dance
He knows if he ever even gets to play
He will stomp like god to make the monster say
They can't hurt you unless you let them
They cannot hurt you unless you let them

RE: Inspiring Music? - Shoshopu - 05-21-2015

Oh gosh, definitely. Whenever I make a character in any RPG, single player or not, I end up associating songs with them.

My GW2 character had an entire playlist for her-- who I still love and mourn every day, gosh I wish the game itself was better so I could bring myself to play as much as I used to and RP her, I can't even listen to any of the songs I chose for it now without getting really sad about it.

So I like to pick out tunes for my FFXIV characters. I listen to a little bit of everything hoping I hit on something that's good for someone, but so far I've only found songs for Shoshopu. A lot of them are from FFXI, ironically enough, and just came into my mind immediately once I started putting her story together. All instrumentals, the best kind of mood music for me, because if a song has lyrics, if they're not 100% correct it's very distracting.

Show Content

And this is technically a Shopusunn-ship song, but "Ends of the Earth" by Lord Huron really evokes to me the image of Shoshopu riding her tortoise beneath the endless starry skies of the desert. The instrumentals are absolutely lovely!
[Image: tumblr_nn73t23N4m1tlcg0eo1_500.gif]