Hydaelyn Role-Players
First-Time RP'ing in an MMORPG - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: First-Time RP'ing in an MMORPG (/showthread.php?tid=11680)

First-Time RP'ing in an MMORPG - coldReactive - 05-18-2015

First time to this forum, first time RP'ing in a real MMORPG Environment. Hi to all of you out there. I recently decided to make my main character on balmung also an RP Character, and hopefully it won't end up in failure like my inability to craft or tank. I'm not new to RP'ing in general, and I have done RP'ing on Skype / MSN and YIM before.

Keep Calm, and Hug!

RE: First-Time RP'ing in an MMORPG - Mayu - 05-18-2015

Hello!

So I only just returned to the game and signed up to this site myself, but I wanted to reach out and say hello. I took some advice from others and popped into the Adventurer's Guild in Ul'Dah and RPed a little bit. Folks here are very helpful and friendly, as well as in game.

If you'd like, feel free to add me and I'll be happy to help. I used to RP frequently in GW2 and WoW but haven't played those games in a while, though I'm familiar with chat-based RP too. Sometimes I miss it. Hope to see you in game!

RE: First-Time RP'ing in an MMORPG - Nebbs - 05-19-2015

Welcome

I'd definitely recommend a linkshell (chat group) and a freecompany (guild) as ways to get on in the game and RP. There is a linkshell section on these forums where you can check these out.

You will soon pick the game up and RP is really about that mix of text and emotes with character and gameplay. You should pick thus up quick if you have RPed before.

RE: First-Time RP'ing in an MMORPG - T'caska Khevo - 05-19-2015

Just throw yourself to the wolves and get yourself out there! Also feel free to look me up for some less than wolfy RP.

RE: First-Time RP'ing in an MMORPG - Rosamund - 05-19-2015

Welcome aboard! I'd just dive right in and get RPing. Big Grin

RE: First-Time RP'ing in an MMORPG - coldReactive - 05-19-2015

(05-19-2015, 02:59 AM)Nebbs Wrote: Welcome

I'd definitely recommend a linkshell (chat group) and a freecompany (guild) as ways to get on in the game and RP. There is a linkshell section on these forums where you can check these out.

You will soon pick the game up and RP is really about that mix of text and emotes with character and gameplay. You should pick thus up quick if you have RPed before.
Oh, I already have an FC. I can't deal with FCs or linkshells that have more than 20 people online at once. (Also why I don't do hunts) I'm usually not a fan of RP'ing with more than one person, which is often why I don't RP in MMORPGs. (The main reason: I don't like to rely on multiple people to come on to finish an RP. I've had multiple experiences where sometimes the third or fourth person don't come back for 3 weeks or more.)

RE: First-Time RP'ing in an MMORPG - Mountie - 05-19-2015

At that point I would daresay continue with "Oh, he had a heartattack on the boat ride over so... yeah... he won't be making it." I do understand the woes of RP'ing in multitude, but do keep in mind that not all RP has to be structured. Walk into one of the towns, find a group of strangers, and just give a hello. Ask for some sights to see, drinks to try, best places to get drinks.

Just things like that in general. And then at the end, you'll have made some new pals hopefully, or at least seen the side of what I call touch-contact RP. Not planned, no arc involved. Just walking a mile with a couple extra pairs of shoes!

RE: First-Time RP'ing in an MMORPG - Lilia Lia - 05-19-2015

Welcome!

I'm also new to MMO RP but I've had great experiences on Balmung.  It has an awesome and broad RP community and there's tons of opportunities out there.  I'll echo what Riordyn said about random encounters.  You'd be surprised how many people on Balmung are consistently in-character even outside of organized RPs.  Some of my most memorable RPs have been random encounters in the field!

That having been said, even if you prefer one-on-one style RP, you're definitely not the only one and still likely to find a lot of opportunities for that here on the forums.  Having a wide circle of acquaintances does not mean that you need to exclusively take part in larger RPs.  Though I do recommend at least trying a group RP with three or four people as the dynamic can be interesting.

Anyways I am confident you will find exactly what you want and will have a great experience on Balmung.  Looking forward to seeing you around the forums!

RE: First-Time RP'ing in an MMORPG - Nebbs - 05-19-2015

Double hit!

[Image: ffxiv.exe_DX9_20150519_200715.jpg]

[Image: ffxiv.exe_DX9_20150519_200702.jpg]

RE: First-Time RP'ing in an MMORPG - coldReactive - 05-20-2015

well, several sessions were had. Thanks to it, my character has developed slightly, and has met new people!

Thanks so far for the help, and keep on'a huggin'!

https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Ian_Carlson << To see changes.